GASE ON FRANCESA

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Francesa pushing him on his "style" of offense (wide open, big play, control, etc.) and Gase states he will do what our personnel will allow us to do.  Dictated by who we have on the roster and who we are playing.  He's not going to force the team to play a style that he wants to play, he's going to adapt and flex situationally.

Finally a HC who speaks like he has a modicum of common sense!!

Indeed what was extra maddening IMO about Bowles was that in Arizona, due to injuries, he was extremely flexible, but here because he had Rogers running the defense he was unwilling to change the defense up almost never.

It was crazy to me.

It seemed like Bowles was more interested in not hurting the perception of Rogers than winning football games!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Xtina said:

It’s the coordinator’s job 

It is pretty clear that we are going to be a team with 3 coordinators:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

And Gase will be the overseer who handles tiebreakers and the media.  I like it.  We aren't an A+ destination for the best GM and best HC in the league so this is a very smart approach.  The LA Rams?

Sean McVay OC
Wade Philips DC
John Fassel STC

Philips and Fassel have been on their jobs for more than a decade(s) each and are more respected than their newb HC.  No way McVay is calling the D or ST shots.  He's grooming his young QB and he's calling creative offensive plays.  In essence, the Jets and Rams have no HC.  Welcome to the new NFL.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

And Gase will be the overseer who handles tiebreakers and the media.  I like it.  We aren't an A+ destination for the best GM and best HC in the league so this is a very smart approach.  The LA Rams?

Sean McVay OC
Wade Philips DC
John Fassel STC

Philips and Fassel have been on their jobs for more than a decade(s) each.  No way McVay is calling the D or ST shots. 

SAR I

The Rams also have a linear power structure beyond Mcvay in their front office, with a VP of Football Ops (who led their coaching search) and an above average General Manager. Kroenke isnt overly involved. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

Sean McVay OC
Wade Philips DC
John Fassel STC

Philips and Fassel have been on their jobs for more than a decade(s) each.  No way McVay is calling the D or ST shots. 

SAR I

This is the right type of HC we need for now. A guy who is going to focus on ensuring Sam Darnold will reach his full potential. This guy has been outrighr saying “I’m going to devote my time to Sam, and build an offense WITH him.” I mean that’s exactly what we needed. The scary thing is we went 8-8, Bowles would still be our coach and Darnold would be on the road to becoming a game managing QB.

Whatever happens after the next few years, if Darnold becomes a star but we’re 9-7 missing the playoffs...then we get a CEO HC who can manage the whole team.

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase on Martz' influence:  He knew how to dissect and gut a defense.  He knew how to instill confidence in the guys, we might have been 3-13 but he'd have the team thinking we could win the Super Bowl.

That's a perfect fit for a Chris Johnson/Mike McCagnon NY Jets team

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

Sean McVay OC
Wade Philips DC
John Fassel STC

Philips and Fassel have been on their jobs for more than a decade(s) each and are more respected than their newb HC.  No way McVay is calling the D or ST shots.  He's grooming his young QB and he's calling creative offensive plays.  In essence, the Jets and Rams have no HC.  Welcome to the new NFL.

SAR I

Seems about right tbqh.

Lets be clear tho, we're a long way from being the Rams today.  Same structure, not much else the same, today.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

Sean McVay OC
Wade Philips DC
John Fassel STC

SAR I

I hear ya, and I have now come around on the Gase hire, but part of me worries.  I just hope this is not another Rex Ryan thing (except he's offense where Rex was defense).  everyone said Rex was a great DC, but knew nothing about offense and that's why he failed.  just hope this doesn't happen again in reverse.

1 minute ago, Ohhthepain said:

Surprised at how well Gase handled the interview. He said all the right things. 

His mistake yesterday was that he didn't take the time to create a speech that answered all the questions and set the tone for the media.  He was a fish out of water in that setting yesterday.  But once he got to breakouts with individual writers and broadcasters he calmed down with the facial anxiety and got normal again.  Hey, we now have a set of gif's and meme's to use any time something questionable happens so there's that.

We hate Joe Beningo.  Please change your avatar.  Thanks.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seems about right tbqh.

Lets be clear tho, we're a long way from being the Rams today.  Same structure, not much else the same, today.

The Rams were a pathetic 3-13 team two years ago but they had a stud QB prospect, a stud defender, and a stud RB.  So let's get the stud RB and then we're the Rams. 

Good work with the avatar.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase OC
Williams DC
Boyer STC

SAR I

Yeh that's a great point. Both Bowles and Rex had difficulty letting the OC take full charge and would alternatively get too involved (Rex) or not involved enough (Bowles) in their defenses. The Gailey/Morton/Bates trifecta and the Schotty/Sparano/Morninweig ground and pound era show how all over the place we've been. 

Happy to have consistency on special teams and clear leaders for offense and defense. Also Gase having been around different skill sets and adapting his offense to Sam's talents is music to my ears. 

He was a fish out of water in that setting yesterday.  But once he got to breakouts with individual writers and broadcasters he calmed down with the facial anxiety and got normal again.  Hey, we now have a set of gif's and meme's to use any time something questionable happens so there's that.

I just dont think he's a great public speaker. Not that I blame him but he was visibly uncomfortable. Definitely does better in a smaller setting.

? - No.

His focus is in the right place. I am liking having less coaches around, lean operation, no confusion of message or mission.

When you compare his and DC Williams styles to Bowles and Rodgers it's night and day.

At least on paper I cannot see how this new duo couldn't improve on Bowles's record significantly.

This isn't the guy I wanted, but 2019 Camp with a offensive minded head coach, having our quarterback finally, new uniforms and 4 letter words Williams on defense. I am optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I hear ya, and I have now come around on the Gase hire, but part of me worries.  I just hope this is not another Rex Ryan thing (except he's offense where Rex was defense).  everyone said Rex was a great DC, but knew nothing about offense and that's why he failed.  just hope this doesn't happen again in reverse.

If you look at the Cardinals, consider what they just had to do do get one of the top offensive minds in football.  As a middling NFL team that's no one's top choice they had to make Kliff Kingsbury a head coach instead of a coordinator.  It's what blah NFL franchises have to do to get better.  Give the genius OC the head coach title and then surround him with a DC and STC who are mature and very experienced.

So unlike the Cardinals, we got a guy that's already an experienced head coach, who several NFL players and coaches rave about, and who Hall Of Fame QB Peyton Manning gives his personal endorsement.  Gregg Williams is an animal.  Brant Boyer is proven in New York.  Adams is a stud.  Darnold looks like one.

We truly are doing it the right way this time.  This isn't some haphazard situation.  It's a smart strategy that others are succeeding with in the league.  I feel very, very positive about our future.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you look at the Cardinals, consider what they just had to do do get one of the top offensive minds in football.  As a middling NFL team that's no one's top choice they had to make Kliff Kingsbury a head coach instead of a coordinator.  It's what blah NFL franchises have to do to get better.  Give the genius OC the head coach title and then surround him with a DC and STC who are mature and very experienced.

So unlike the Cardinals, we got a guy that's already an experienced head coach, who several NFL players and coaches rave about, and who Hall Of Fame QB Peyton Manning gives his personal endorsement.  Gregg Williams is an animal.  Brant Boyer is proven in New York.  Adams is a stud.  Darnold looks like one.

We truly are doing it the right way this time.  This isn't some haphazard situation.  It's a smart strategy that others are succeeding with in the league.  I feel very, very positive about our future.

SAR I

Really good point here and definitely something that goes under the radar but it’s true when you say that’s the blueprint for front offices in the modern NFL.

17 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Yeh that's a great point. Both Bowles and Rex had difficulty letting the OC take full charge and would alternatively get too involved (Rex) or not involved enough (Bowles) in their defenses. The Gailey/Morton/Bates trifecta and the Schotty/Sparano/Morninweig ground and pound era show how all over the place we've been. 

Happy to have consistency on special teams and clear leaders for offense and defense. Also Gase having been around different skill sets and adapting his offense to Sam's talents is music to my ears. 

Yes.  All that matters right now is that Gase can work with and for Darnold and build him a world-class offense.  That's the priority. 

So let Maccagnan worry about personnel.  Let Williams build an animal D.  Let Boyer alone so he can repeat on ST's.  I mean, do you really need a pure-play Head Coach?  Sure, if Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, or Vince Lombardi are available, definitely.  But if not, why not build a staff from the best OC, DC, and STC on the market and make that work?  And the OC has three years of HC experience, quite a plus.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Francesa:  The benefit of having so much cap room is that you can shape the entire roster the way you want.  What's your vision?

Gase:  We have to find the right guys and the ones with the right fit who want to be here and not just following the money.  I feel good about how we are positioned for free agency as we can improve quickly and be competitive right out of the gate with a strong draft.

YES.

I LOVE the bolded part.

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Francesa:  What do you think about New York?

Gase:  I haven't been to New York much but I'm excited about the city and the way I can be out of the city (likes the fact that the suburbs are quiet).

[End Interview]

Francesa:  Nice wrapup, he's impressed that Gase would hire a guy like Williams who is so outspoken and independent, takes a strong HC to do that.

Yeah even days before the Jets hired Gase, Mike was talking him up. He seems to really like him as a head coach.

Thanks for the updates SAR. 

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yeah even days before the Jets hired Gase, Mike was talking him up. He seems to really like him as a head coach.

Thanks for the updates SAR. 

That's because Tannenbaum was talking him up.  Francesa only has a limited amount of sauces.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Francesa:  The benefit of having so much cap room is that you can shape the entire roster the way you want.  What's your vision?

Gase:  We have to find the right guys and the ones with the right fit who want to be here and not just following the money.  I feel good about how we are positioned for free agency as we can improve quickly and be competitive right out of the gate with a strong draft.

You poor devil.

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Man, I’ve never heard you so positive.

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You think Gase made some wierd faces at his presser?  Can’t wait to see his face after some of Maccagnan’s draft selections...Lol 

Luckily we have Williams now to straighten that bitch Maccagnan right out. ?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Gase on Darnold:  First time I've had the opportunity to be around a player of this caliber this young.  We have such a long time before we get to get together in the classroom but we're going to work together on how to run the offense between now and April.   The QB has a lot of influence and we have to be flexible from April through TC to be ready to figure out things as fast as possible.

Working with his other coaches, I suppose he meant. I heard Gase explain yesterday that he's not allowed any football-related communication with Sam, not even by text, until April.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

His mistake yesterday was that he didn't take the time to create a speech that answered all the questions and set the tone for the media.  He was a fish out of water in that setting yesterday.  But once he got to breakouts with individual writers and broadcasters he calmed down with the facial anxiety and got normal again.  Hey, we now have a set of gif's and meme's to use any time something questionable happens so there's that.

SAR I

FB_IMG_1547592614460.jpg.2c77f335a3fcfd11c12aa0ee64015d15.jpg

Archived