GASE ON FRANCESA

SAR I

23 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I hope Gase isn’t like every other typical Jets coach.  First year we play above .500 and/or make the playoffs followed by year 2 being a 4-12 season.  (We have a tough 2020 schedule) 

Darnold is the difference.

For instance, if Mangini had a year 3 Darnold, I don't think we would have gone 4-12

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Francesa:  What do you think about New York?

Gase:  I haven't been to New York much but I'm excited about the city and the way I can be out of the city (likes the fact that the suburbs are quiet).

[End Interview]

Francesa:  Nice wrapup, he's impressed that Gase would hire a guy like Williams who is so outspoken and independent, takes a strong HC to do that.

Thanks Sar.

I listened to it live and all I will say is they should have let Francesca host the presser yesterday. Gase sounded 1000 times better than he did at the press conference. He is confident but he seems to answer stuff pretty honestly. Definitely seems like a cocky dude but so far he has been nice, hasn't been rude, hopefully that continues.

More importantly I loved his answers. He wants to let Gregg Williams do his thing. They sync up on overall strategy depending on who they are playing. Be really aggressive this week, be a little more conservative, special teams too. He said some weeks you are taking everything out of the end zone.

Love his record in close games. I am really starting to like this hire.

29 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i have to agree his radio interviews with Kay and Francesa were great.

i particularly loved when he said, i don't have twitter i don't have Instagram i don't read the papers and i don't watch TV. between him and Darnold they may just never stick their head out of the film room between April and whenever the season ends. 

Jamal can tweet enough for all of them.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Francesa:  Asked about the gap between first firing and starting a new HC job right away.  Asked what went wrong in Miami?

Gase:  Made the playoffs, lost the QB and got thrown off course, stayed competitive but couldn't get it done.  Last season came close but lost the last three games.

Francesa:  Did you learn anything in losing the last two years, that you didn't know?

Gase:  Yes, I learned about how to deal with injuries, a seven hour game, not having a bye week, there were a ton of things that taught me to go in a different direction.  I'm not the same guy I was three years ago.  I know what's more important now, I can now bypass things that aren't important and take the shortcuts to get where you need to be and get the result you want.

This is everything! And the number one reason we did not want to hire another first time HC. They are essentially learning on the job. He now has a collection of data on how NOT to do things. We don't have to witness those rookie mistakes in real time. Sure there are guys that come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, but more than not the first timer is a sh*t show.  Even the GOAT Bill Belichick had that first spot where it didn't work.  

It will be nice to have a coach who made those mistakes already. That it was for the Miami Dolphins will make it all the sweeter if this works out. I'm delighted by this thread and the answers Gase is giving. I don't miss the visual one bit! Taco or no Taco.  

Thanks SAR I

bang up job here man! 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Francesa pushing him on his "style" of offense (wide open, big play, control, etc.) and Gase states he will do what our personnel will allow us to do.  Dictated by who we have on the roster and who we are playing.  He's not going to force the team to play a style that he wants to play, he's going to adapt and flex situationally.

IIRC this is exactly what was said and repeated about Todd Bowles the "defensive genius" when he was hired. For many this seemed to be confirmed when we won 10 games his first year.

I'm neither excited nor unexcited about the hire. He has the backing of some competent people (but then so did Bowles). Blind optimism for him (like for his predecessor) aside, IMO this one is less predictable in part because he's supposed to be kind of a nut. Only thing I like is he's a coach on offense and we have a QB in need of offensive coaching. Is he the right offensive coach? I don't know; ask me after he's proven good or bad after a couple years.

Cop out that it may seem to be, if he's good I'll like the hire and if he's back I won't. It's not really a cop out; in time everyone will feel this exact same way, so really the only thing I'm robbing myself of is the ability to say I was right or burden to admit I was wrong.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Seems about right tbqh.

Lets be clear tho, we're a long way from being the Rams today.  Same structure, not much else the same, today.

Is that because Gase was just hired a few days ago and we technically don't even have Gregg Williams yet?  I'm thinking it might be.  :) 

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is everything! And the number one reason we did not want to hire another first time HC. They are essentially learning on the job. He now has a collection of data on how NOT to do things. We don't have to witness those rookie mistakes in real time. Sure there are guys that come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, but more than not the first timer is a sh*t show.  Even the GOAT Bill Belichick had that first spot where it didn't work.  

It will be nice to have a coach who made those mistakes already. That it was for the Miami Dolphins will make it all the sweeter if this works out. I'm delighted by this thread and the answers Gase is giving. I don't miss the visual one bit! Taco or no Taco.  

Thanks SAR I

bang up job here man! 

He did come out the gates hot, and made the playoffs with a bad QB. Sure he made mistakes but he did well when Tannehill was healthy. Sounds like he learned allot from his experience, definitely a better choice than a first time HC with a young QB in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

IIRC this is exactly what was said and repeated about Todd Bowles the "defensive genius" when he was hired. For many this seemed to be confirmed when we won 10 games his first year.

I'm neither excited nor unexcited about the hire. He has the backing of some competent people (but then so did Bowles). Blind optimism for him (like for his predecessor) aside, IMO this one is less predictable in part because he's supposed to be kind of a nut. Only thing I like is he's a coach on offense and we have a QB in need of offensive coaching. Is he the right offensive coach? I don't know; ask me after he's proven good or bad after a couple years.

Cop out that it may seem to be, if he's good I'll like the hire and if he's back I won't. It's not really a cop out; in time everyone will feel this exact same way, so really the only thing I'm robbing myself of is the ability to say I was right or burden to admit I was wrong.

That’s great and all....but do you think it’s a good hire now....or a bad hire now. 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i have to agree his radio interviews with Kay and Francesa were great.

i particularly loved when he said, i don't have twitter i don't have Instagram i don't read the papers and i don't watch TV. between him and Darnold they may just never stick their head out of the film room between April and whenever the season ends. 

Smart man.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So Jamal will be the Designated Tweeter.  I like it.

Yes he will freelance around the line of scrimmage and tweet as he sees fit.

Jamal doesn't report to Gregg Williams. He reports directly to Christopher Johnson.  :)

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What do you think of it now?  We all have opinions.  So do you.  Oh go ahead and defer.  Saves us a lot of extra reading.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've lived in Germany for the past 4 years

Schon....had a GF from Karlsruhe many years ago and worked in Switzerland for a year. I work in Heidelberg every July at the F1. Great country. Always good to know there are other Euro  based Jets fans out there.

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What were these "shots"?

Hmmmmm?

20190115_123529.jpg.8067e93c8b8c5d2e99e41d7ed56f3fb9.jpg

Ha I forgot who he was talking to. It was right before Brian Billick came on to discuss pats-chiefs playing in freeze bowl.. The moron said from the interview, Gase  sounds like a guy who won’t change, and has this aroungance about him, thinks he is good enough not to change, but said he wasn’t good enough in Miami so he insinuating basically he will suck here too. He brought up the questions he asked Gase about if he learned anything, and mike said Gase seemed to Blame things on everything but him, 7 hr games, ect.. But then left it with A “ we shall see...” I think his inner giant fan boy takes over when jets do something good.. since we just got Greg Williams before the interview.

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's been fun watching the board slowly fall in love with Gase

Natural evolution of a beaten down fandom:

-Initial disgust based on knee jerk conditioning

-Disgust modified by normal news cycles both in support and in defiance of move

-Distrust of news media softens all feelings creating general feeling of numbness

-Numbness yields to deep levels of fandom which want to pervade a level of some optimism, because that is what fanatic is

-I am willing to live with this, and let's see what happens. Hey, what else do I have?

-Reality of results begin to filter in initial returns

-I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

15 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is the right type of HC we need for now. A guy who is going to focus on ensuring Sam Darnold will reach his full potential. This guy has been outrighr saying “I’m going to devote my time to Sam, and build an offense WITH him.” I mean that’s exactly what we needed. The scary thing is we went 8-8, Bowles would still be our coach and Darnold would be on the road to becoming a game managing QB.

Whatever happens after the next few years, if Darnold becomes a star but we’re 9-7 missing the playoffs...then we get a CEO HC who can manage the whole team.

I had the same thought.....I’m not a huge fan of the hire but I do think he’ll be good with Sam....even if this end up being a temporary situation...I believe Darnold will develop under Gase...even if we have to do this all over again in 2-3 years 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, The12th Man said:

That’s great and all....but do you think it’s a good hire now....or a bad hire now. 

I'm saying I don't know. He was not who I had in mind when the Jets boasted they were going to go for the gold. Instead they ended up with the moody guy the Dolphins fired after just 3 seasons. I'm further discouraged that they interviewed him on Jan 2nd and then after a bunch of weird stuff getting leaked from the camps of multiple HC candidates - candidates it seems they wanted to hire but for reasons that should not be factors ($ for at least one, or picking the staff for others) - it's as though we reluctantly went with our fallback option. Money it seems may not have just been the factor with McCarthy alone; remember they were supposed to go after a Harbaugh or two and offer Gruden-like control, but unfortunately that would have snipped the balls off the GM they stupidly decided to retain, and effectively, hand even more power.

I hope Gase is good, but unless he's SO bad, in the end really what'll end up mattering most is how good the roster is that he's given. What is clear from his years in Miami is he is not the head coach that will take a so-so or meh roster (or worse, an outright bad one like the Jets have been fielding) and bring them to some major success and postseason noise, if not a SB win outright. What is unclear is if he would do so as HC of a better roster (as most HCs would), though it's right to expect a rebound season as we've seen even with coaches who are ultimately failures and fired (e.g. Mangini, Rex, Bowles). 

He may have been a good QBC and/or a good OC (though there's no evidence of him really fixing any meh offense or QBs anywhere before), but that's not his job here. If that's all he's capable of then hire a different HC and make Gase the OC or QBC instead of Peter-Principle'ing him. From this interview he already looks like he's planning on being a half-team HC like people hated about Bowles, and Ryan before him. IMO this indicates he may not be ready for the fully monty job (but in the end if it works and we win a SB with him I couldn't care less as it's a fool's errand to question such success). 

HC is a different job that requires a different balance, and in Miami he was a failure at it. It's not coincidental that most coaching hires are older; coaches don't gain in IQ with age, but their personalities and leadership skills do mature with experience, and at a young age most just aren't ready for being the head honcho over a locker room of gazillionaires. There is a leadership status (admittedly, often unearned) that comes with age, and as much as player-age fans roll their eyes at the idea it is there. Younger coaches have to succeed much faster because there isn't this career of success and knowledge that gives others the faith that there's more to you than your one breakout year in a lower role, and to the locker room he doesn't have the added street cred of being a former player himself. 

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Schon....had a GF from Karlsruhe many years ago and worked in Switzerland for a year. I work in Heidelberg every July at the F1. Great country. Always good to know there are other Euro  based Jets fans out there.

I'm in Northern Germany, but I've been through Karlsruhe on my way to the Black Forest for vacation last October. Germany is a great country from my experience. I've been to Zurich as well, but only for a short while. One thing I noticed is how extremely clean that city is, but that was like 10 years ago when I visited. I'd like to see more of Switzerland. I've just been making my way around all of the countries.

Blame their QB all we want, but it may be whistling past the graveyard: like it or not Tannehill was a rising, steadily-improving QB until Gase got there (even with a HC shakeup a month into his 4th season). The supposed QB whisperer then arrived and didn't have any discernible positive impact on a 28 year-old QB who already got his lumps in. Under this QB guru's guidance for 3 offseasons Tannehill didn't learn to scan the field the way QBs mature into (and may have gotten outright worse at it); he didn't seem to get any better than he was under the prior 12 games of interim coaching in Miami; his interception rate rose by over 50% when Gase was there while his young receivers were gaining in experience. Aside from the QB (since he's not hired to be just a QBC here), previously-productive young WRs really didn't take their game to the next level either. The lone playoff season is hardly impressive as the team beat 9 opponents with losing records (if not very-losing records) including an OT win vs a 1-win team plus another OT win against a Bills locker room melting down so much they fired Ryan after the game. It's the same win total Bowles had in his own first season here. Plus the elephant in the room on his negatives is that charming personality of his.

On the other hand, the talent he inherited may have largely been smoke & mirrors: Tannehill putting up 4000 yards and dozens of TDs per year with a low interception rate, so early in his career, may just be nice numbers while he was never really a truly good QB with other talent bailing him out (somewhat like Fitz here), and just seems like a loser with some deceptive talent. I can't fault him for Jay Cutler, who'd already checked out mentally before Miami dragged him away from his semi-celebrity wife and off the couch of his mansion where he was scheduled to play house-husband for that fall semester. And maybe that trio of talented WRs were always going to be mere talents alone, who occasionally tease a theoretical potential they'd never fully reach. Are our WRs better? They certainly weren't as heralded as prospects, but then Robby/Q weren't as heralded as the ones the Jets drafted from 2015-2017 either, and Gase never really got a chance to work with Jordan Cameron. It's also possible he got production out of Ajayi and got the team to dump him at the perfect time instead of waiting for a comeback that was never going to materialize (on paper it certainly seems like that thus far, but we'll never know what might have been if not for an early ACL injury this year). 

Really I don't know what to expect. He had the team on that great 9-of-10 stretch in his first year (though yes 8 of those 9 wins were against lousy teams), but not a lot outside of that. It's tough to point to that one stretch as reason for optimism when the team lost 2/3 of its games otherwise (just like the Bowles Jets from 2016 on, which included a FO-planned tank season in 2017). 

It's pretty unlikely that Gase is a doofus, but questions legitimately remain about (1) riding coattails of the success of previously-successful people; (2) if he's capable of being a full HC instead of an OC/QBC with a more prestigious job title; and (3) if he's capable of growing as a HC where disagreements get others to his side instead of creating a bitter schism in the franchise of those with him and those against him. 

Woody/Chris Johnsons' history suggests Gase is unlikely to last fewer than 4 years here no matter what, so we all of course hope for the best. As I said in the (equally verbose) post above, he's going to need a seriously good squad because he's not shown to be a make lemonade out of lemons guy, and further looks like a half-team HC, much like his predecessor here. 

F***, I can f***ing talk. 

1 hour ago, CTM said:

It's been fun watching the board slowly fall in love with Gase

HAHAHAHA ! 

We're a tough crowd initially, but we get protective of our own. Once you're officially in the club we don't appreciate others poking at our guy!  

That is until you suck of course!   Then we'll be the worst thing in your life. lol 

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  All that matters right now is that Gase can work with and for Darnold and build him a world-class offense.  That's the priority. 

So let Maccagnan worry about personnel.  Let Williams build an animal D.  Let Boyer alone so he can repeat on ST's.  I mean, do you really need a pure-play Head Coach?  Sure, if Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, or Vince Lombardi are available, definitely.  But if not, why not build a staff from the best OC, DC, and STC on the market and make that work?  And the OC has three years of HC experience, quite a plus.

SAR I

Agree 100%. It's all about Sam. Let's get him some new toys! How about Bell and Brown? Think they might make a difference?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm saying I don't know. He was not who I had in mind when the Jets boasted they were going to go for the gold. Instead they ended up with the moody guy the Dolphins fired after just 3 seasons. I'm further discouraged that they interviewed him on Jan 2nd and then after a bunch of weird stuff getting leaked from the camps of multiple HC candidates - candidates it seems they wanted to hire but for reasons that should not be factors ($ for at least one, or picking the staff for others) - it's as though we reluctantly went with our fallback option. Money it seems may not have just been the factor with McCarthy; remember they were supposed to go after a Harbaugh or two and offer Gruden-like control, but unfortunately that would have snipped the balls off the GM they stupidly decided to retain, and effectively, hand even more power.

I hope Gase is good, but unless he's SO bad, in the end really what'll end up mattering most is how good the roster is that he's given. What is clear from his years in Miami is he is not the head coach that will take a so-so or meh roster (or worse, an outright bad one like the Jets have been fielding) and bring them to some major success and postseason noise, if not a SB win outright. What is unclear is if he would do so as HC of a better roster (as most HCs would), though it's right to expect a rebound season as we've seen even with coaches who are ultimately failures and fired (e.g. Mangini, Rex, Bowles). 

He may have been a good QBC and/or a good OC (though there's no evidence of him really fixing any meh offense or QBs anywhere before), but that's not his job here. If that's all he's capable of then hire a different HC and make Gase the OC or QBC instead of Peter-Principle'ing him. From this interview he already looks like he's planning on being a half-team HC like people hated about Bowles, and Ryan before him. IMO this indicates he may not be ready for the fully monty job (but in the end if it works and we win a SB with him I couldn't care less as it's a fool's errand to question such success). 

HC is a different job that requires a different balance, and in Miami he was a failure at it. It's not coincidental that most coaching hires are older; coaches don't gain in IQ with age, but their personalities and leadership skills do mature with experience, and at a young age most just aren't ready for being the head honcho over a locker room of gazillionaires. There is a leadership status (admittedly, often unearned) that comes with age, and as much as player-age fans roll their eyes at the idea it is there. Younger coaches have to succeed much faster because there isn't this career of success and knowledge that gives others the faith that there's more to you than your one breakout year in a lower role, and to the locker room he doesn't have the added street cred of being a former player himself. 

In this case, it seems like the Jets were actively soliciting a "half-team HC."  You want to ignore what McCarthy's camp says because it's "spin," fine.  But, Rhule, immediately came out and spoke about "arranged marriages."  And, later reports suggest that the Jets were targeting Gregg Williams at DC all along.  Seems plausible that the Jets were kind of in this for two HC's.  Rhule and possibly McCarthy balked at that.

I don't know how Gase will work out, but it seems, once again, that the process was ridiculous.  That, of course, started with firing the ineffective HC but keeping the ineffective GM.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I freaking love @Jetsfan80 because I know there's at least 1 person who reads most/all of my endless babbling without a criticism in return.

Soulmates 4eva :) 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, why else does anyone post here, if not just for positive rep from @Jetsfan80? 

I'm like a dog.  Often dumb and always easy to please. 

39 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'm in Northern Germany, but I've been through Karlsruhe on my way to the Black Forest for vacation last October. Germany is a great country from my experience. I've been to Zurich as well, but only for a short while. One thing I noticed is how extremely clean that city is, but that was like 10 years ago when I visited. I'd like to see more of Switzerland. I've just been making my way around all of the countries.

Good plan. If you haven’t already get down to Berchtesgaden and the Schwarzee area, beautiful and historic. Also Switzerland is a great country. My brother in law lives in Geneva so I spend more time there than Zurich but you are right, cleanest country in the world and the trains are incredible, absolutely to the second on time.

I was mostly based in the Valais Canton in the Rhône valley so travel around there if you can. Grindelwald and the Eiger also a must see. Also get down to the Ticino area, absolutely stunning lakes and mountains on the border with Northern Italy. Come to think of it just do the whole of Italy if you can. Rome is THE number 1 city in Europe for me. I do tennis there every May and it’s the best time to be in the city

My brother lived in Hamburg and Hannover while he was in the military so that’s probably up nearer you.

If you ever need any Euro recommendations don’t hesitate to ask.

Archived