Building a team through free agency

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Just to make this visible - The Jets were 29th in the league in Run, Run, Pass, by percentage.

BE2Ncjl.png

I saw this on Reddit but the only issue I have is that there is no way to see when these drives were called. For instance, the Jets could Run Run Pass early on in games or when games were close and shift to passing on 1st and 2nd down only when behind in the 2nd half (which we often were). It would also be interesting to see the breakdown pre-Darnold injury vs when he returned. I distinctly remember a difference of more of a mixed ratio at the end of the season. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How do we score points? 

We don't have a single player on offense that a DC has to worry about or game plan around.

You don't sign Ford and draft Allen - one of the two - maybe (I wouldn't do either) The defense has had enough resources and is capable.  

Offenses need playmakers. 

Yes we do. His name is Sam Darnold. We should protect him with Trent Brown and Matt Paradis, and then have capable pass rushers who get him the ball back. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yes we do. His name is Sam Darnold. We should protect him with Trent Brown and Matt Paradis, and then have capable pass rushers who get him the ball back. 

We can go back and forth on this but Sam Darnold isn't Tom Brady quite yet.  

He needs weapons.  Guys need to be open, RB's need to make plays...

I'm all for the O-line, but I would MUCH, MUCH rather sign and draft a RB, WR or OL - than signing and drafting any defensive players.  

5 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I saw this on Reddit but the only issue I have is that there is no way to see when these drives were called. For instance, the Jets could Run Run Pass early on in games or when games were close and shift to passing on 1st and 2nd down only when behind in the 2nd half (which we often were). It would also be interesting to see the breakdown pre-Darnold injury vs when he returned. I distinctly remember a difference of more of a mixed ratio at the end of the season. 

Sure, of course we can't see everything.  But these numbers should paint a pretty clear picture that Jets fans are pretty biased against coaching, at least in the play calling regard.  Regardless of the situation, you'd have to admit, had we polled this board on the question, "Are the Jets Top Third, Middle Third, or Bottom Third in RRP %," you'd the overwhelming majority would say the top two thirds, probably heavily weighted to top third.  I very much doubt anyone would say we were bottom 5, if asked.

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How do we score points? 

We don't have a single player on offense that a DC has to worry about or game plan around.

You don't sign Ford and draft Allen - one of the two - maybe (I wouldn't do either) The defense has had enough resources and is capable.  

Offenses need playmakers. 

Ok so name the College WR who is worthy of being picked 3rd overall

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

No FREAKING WAY! Sam ran for his life! Brady would have been killed! We played the Bears with no WRS & a rookie TE!

Our OL wasn’t that bad.  There were several teams with worse lines- 2 in our own state the giants and bills

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have a franchise QB on his rookie contract. The time to spend and overspend is now and for the next 3 years

when Darnold needs his deal then the franchise can shift into "below market" mode because the money is spent on QB (and probably the Jets won't be as good as they were the 3 years prior) 

The team underfunded the roster last year and now they are 100 mil under. I don't want to hear anymore about being frugal. This money between the floor and the cap, all it does is go back into the owners pockets. 

Can't believe you thought that was serious on any level lol

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

I don't think Juston Burris or Donahue were ever given fair shots. I think Burris could have could have replaced the waste that is Buster Skrine as the slot corner, and Donahue a situational pass rusher. Thanks to atrocious coaching, however, they never got there. Criminal charges should be pressed against Bowls for keeping Kacy Rodgers as DC for so long. 

Dylan Donahue did not need coaching. He already knew how to get drunk before coming to the Jets.  He's gone through rehab and is doing much better.  Right about Burris however. With respect to the criminal charges,  I think this would be a "Civil" Gase".

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Again, if you want to make this argument, then why haven't these players caught on elsewhere?  With Donahue, it's probably because he's a crap athlete with T-Rex arms.  With Burris, he was wavied by the Jets, and no other team signed him to an active roster, so he made it to the practice squad.  Then, the Browns took him late in the season only after losing a DB to IR.

Also, you've pointed to 2 of 9.  So, perhaps it's not just about coaching?

I never said Macc didn't make bad draft choices. I do think there were some players, however, that could have been developed more by a competent coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Sure, of course we can't see everything.  But these numbers should paint a pretty clear picture that Jets fans are pretty biased against coaching, at least in the play calling regard.  Regardless of the situation, you'd have to admit, had we polled this board on the question, "Are the Jets Top Third, Middle Third, or Bottom Third in RRP %," you'd the overwhelming majority would say the top two thirds, probably heavily weighted to top third.  I very much doubt anyone would say we were bottom 5, if asked.

No doubt. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

No doubt. 

The Jets were the worst team in the league in regard to PLAYING WITH A LEAD. We were always behind, that stat is BS. Give me our run run pass ratio in the 1st 4 drives of every game before we are behind & have to throw to get back in the game. Stats are for losers. Every stat needs perspective, like yards given up by a defense, who cares, as long as your top 10 in giving up points!

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Really what difference does it make?  What is certain is this.  The play calling sucked. With the exception of two of the last three games, the patriot loss a disaster, there was no imagination the entire season.  Does it  really matter the order in which the plays were called or if they were pass first or last?  The fact remains that the Jets led the league in third and longs, that in and of itself should tell you enough.  As limited as this roster was, they did absolutely nothing to play to any players strengths, witness a refusal to roll the pocket, run Anderson deep, no play action, no two minute drill, even when hopelessly behind in the later stages of games.  This was a horribly Coached Team. That can't be denied.  MacCagnan's  failures notwithstanding nothing will change that.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I don't think Juston Burris or Donahue were ever given fair shots. I think Burris could have could have replaced the waste that is Buster Skrine as the slot corner, and Donahue a situational pass rusher. Thanks to atrocious coaching, however, they never got there. Criminal charges should be pressed against Bowls for keeping Kacy Rodgers as DC for so long. 

Then why have neither played a snap on D for another team?  Maybe Gregg Williams isn't so hot either, because Burris rotted on the bench in Cleveland playing specials most of 2018. 

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Really what difference does it make?  What is certain is this.  The play calling sucked. With the exception of two of the last three games, the patriot loss a disaster, there was no imagination the entire season.  Does it  really matter the order in which the plays were called or if they were pass first or last?  The fact remains that the Jets led the league in third and longs, that in and of itself should tell you enough.  As limited as this roster was, they did absolutely nothing to play to any players strengths, witness a refusal to roll the pocket, run Anderson deep, no play action, no two minute drill, even when hopelessly behind in the later stages of games.  This was a horribly Coached Team. That can't be denied.  MacCagnan's  failures notwithstanding nothing will change that.

Bowles blowers are in for a rude awakening. How many times in Bowles tenure did he lose to a Miami team & fans would cry on here the entire next day, "how could we lose to Matt Moore", or a banged up Tannyhill or Brock Osweiller? 

How? Because Todd Bowles can't tie Gase shoes. Bowles was a terrible head coach! Did they guy EVER SAY ANYTHING during a game? He just stood there, that's why I gave him the nickname Cigar Store Indian, I wasn't being racist, he just reminded me of a statue. Did the guy EVER look at a photo? A surface pro? a replay of his defense (2015-"We just have a few things we need to tighten up on the backend", 2018- "we just need to be on the same page on the backend"), argh, this guy was infuriatingly BAD! 

Meanwhile on the other sideline you see coaches doing something that you never saw here in 4 years, THEY WERE COACHING! Talking to players & coaches, looking at snapshots of alignments, going over strategy with their surface pros. 

There are a lot of people here angry with the Gase hire. Not me, I am one ecstatic mo-fo! Finally a HC with offensive experience. Not only is Gregg Williams a better DC than Bowles, HE WAS ALSO A BETTER HC! There isn't one fan on this board that given the choice of Bowles or Williams in 2019 that would pick Todd Bowles!

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

But they have to pay him.  Suh is also a free agent.  The jets are going to be able to offer $30-40 million more and I don’t see Fowler as this principled guy who only cares about winning he will go where the cash is

Maybe.  Well we're certainly not messing around with Suh again after this las two round with him. I like Fowler. not the most dynamic, but he came up really big at the biggest time.   So many other guys pad their stats all game and are gone when it counts at the end. Having that big play closer type of guy is much more valuable IMO. 

Archived