Poll: Your guess as to why players won't sign here

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Your guess as to why players won't sign here  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Your guess as to why players won't sign here (you can put multiple answers)

• Players have a negative association of the franchise
    • Adam Gase (players don't want to play for him)
    • Gregg Williams (players don't want to play for him)
    • High State Tax
    • Players don't like NY as a place to live (or for their families)
    • Other (specify in comments)
    • This is a stupid poll

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/20/2019 at 01:55 AM

1 hour ago, Corn said:

Other - the team name Jets was chosen because of the nearby airport at shea stadium.Named after commercial airliners. 

Product packaging is one of worst in league 

Hopefully new uniforms help to change the product

team chant JETS JETS JETS is similar to high school team chants.

Never had identity always should have been a wide open speedster team 

I'm curious about this identity theory.  If the Jets should be a wide open speedster team because Jets are fast, does that mean that the Bears should eat the competition, as well as the Lions??  How should the Dolphins approach games? Don't bother to explain the Patriocheats to me.  I already know how that works.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Says who ?   I think Tom Brady begs to differ.  I think Troy Aikman, Deon Sanders, Ben the Rapist, AB, John Elway, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and just so many others beg to differ. 

That line that NYC is the best and winning something there is somehow better than winning somewhere else is just plain baloney. The only people who believe that live there. I'm a NY sports fan so I want people to come, but my logical side knows the truth. We have money.  That's our allure right now. As long as we under stand that, it's fine.  If we can't get people to take it, we are in trouble. There is no other reason to come here at the moment. 

I dont think so. Those guys you mention are all hall of famers. While IN NYC you still have fans that will root for the players that do the little things right. The spotlight shines brighter when you have all the media attention

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Says who ?   I think Tom Brady begs to differ.  I think Troy Aikman, Deon Sanders, Ben the Rapist, AB, John Elway, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and just so many others beg to differ. 

That line that NYC is the best and winning something there is somehow better than winning somewhere else is just plain baloney. The only people who believe that live there. I'm a NY sports fan so I want people to come, but my logical side knows the truth. We have money.  That's our allure right now. As long as we under stand that, it's fine.  If we can't get people to take it, we are in trouble. There is no other reason to come here at the moment. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I won't apologize seeing the NY sports scene as I do compared to other cities.  Many folks would agree with me and some wouldn't but that's what makes the world go round.   That being said, the Jets have been a toxic franchise for a long time, sullied by a crappy owner, a string of crappy GM's, and even crappier HC's.  This steaming pile of crappiness has created a very negative perception of the team which is very tough to shake and is why the Jets have to overpay players to come here.  That can all change thanks to having a franchise type young QB on the roster and winning a few games.  That's why signing Bell at all costs is so important IMO.  It can literally change the perception of the organization overnight, or at least kick start start that process.

I'm curious about this identity theory.  If the Jets should be a wide open speedster team because Jets are fast, does that mean that the Bears should eat the competition, as well as the Lions??  How should the Dolphins approach games? Don't bother to explain the Patriocheats to me.  I already know how that works.

I did just watch an episode of The Family Guy where peter got mauled by, and had his jugular cut by a Puma ... so there is that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Barr backed out on us.  Paradis signed in Carolina.  CJ Mosely didn't want to leave the Ravens (but agreed to because we overpaid).  It's unclear if Bell is just using the Jets to get a better contract elsewhere.

What are your best guesses as to the root causes of this?

I would say its 50/50 that Mosley will back out now that Barr is not coming.  

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Barr wanted to stay home. We didn't make Paradis an offer. Mosely did sign.  Bell still could sign here. It's day 2 of free agency get a grip people.

We also don't play in NY so what does NY taxes have to do with anything?

Seriously! Already with the high NY taxes. Not only do they not play in NY, they neither practice or LIVE in NY 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I live less than 10 miles from the Jets facility, which is  in Florham Park NJ,  and it is nothing remotely like NYC or any suburb close to NYC.  NW NJ and Morris County, especially western Morris County, is semi-rural.  There are trees, lakes, rivers, bears, foxes, deer, hawks, bald eagles, etc.  There are no street lights or sidewalks in many towns . Lots and houses are large.  It is no different than any other suburban or rural suburban area in the US.  It is not the area around the Jets facility that is turning people away.  Morris County is closer to Pennsylvania than it is to NYC.  

Sorry man, you are wrong.  There are many people around the country, especially in rural areas, that don’t want to be anywhere near nyc or associated with it.

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I agree but you could not pay me enough to live in Minneapolis or the Midwest or Buffalo any place that is too cold. I live in Atlanta  born in NYC lived there for a bit when I got out of the Army in the village (born int he Bronx and raised in Ft Lauderdale)

People need to be built for certain areas I get it. I dont see the humor though for saying he felt sick signing with the Jets unless there is another context for it. If I owned the Jets I would get to the bottom of that statement and correct the cause

It's not a bad idea for the owner to take a look into the cause. You have a point there.

But the overall idea that the Jets have been less than stellar and in a cess pool of a market make for feelings like that. It's not that people won't come. Gregg Williams was a very solid grab this offseason. So was Cooter McGavin or what ever his name is. We have some good coaches. But Darnold's 4/5 solid games are not quite enough to outweigh the predatory media and ridiculous fan base we are. Just look at this board over the past 48 hours. JN is the top of the pops for this stuff to be sure, but just take a look around at what's been going on. That is what makes a player sick to come here. To know if you have two bad games you are torn to shreds by the media AND the fans. Just look at what our ProBowl MVP safety deals with.  Adams is a legend in the making on the Vikings or wherever.  If Darnold has a tough first 4 games we will be calling him a bust and calling for Gase to be fired. Macc sucks. The Johsons need to sell the team. Mike McCarthy etc etc etc. 

When I say it's funny I mean in the most philosophical, and saddest sense. That reneg pissed me off more than I can tell you. F that guy! but I get it. 

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I dont think so. Those guys you mention are all hall of famers. While IN NYC you still have fans that will root for the players that do the little things right. The spotlight shines brighter when you have all the media attention

lol The spotlight shines hotter you mean. The line between failure and success is thinner here than anywhere else in the league. 

Look, I'm a Jets fan. I'm also quite the homer. I tend to think our players are better than they are and I routinely find the imaginary bright side, but where I can see things a bit more realistically is where the market, region and fans are concerned. We're a tough pill man. A huge horse pill with burning hot ghost pepper sauce on it.  Sure you can be a legend here. But there are plenty of legends from every other region. NYC has no ownership of legends and bright stars. 

Let's see how tomorrow goes and let's watch this place melt down or throw a parade. :)  

I'm on your team.  I promise. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I won't apologize seeing the NY sports scene as I do compared to other cities.  Many folks would agree with me and some wouldn't but that's what makes the world go round.   That being said, the Jets have been a toxic franchise for a long time, sullied by a crappy owner, a string of crappy GM's, and even crappier HC's.  This steaming pile of crappiness has created a very negative perception of the team which is very tough to shake and is why the Jets have to overpay players to come here.  That can all change thanks to having a franchise type young QB on the roster and winning a few games.  That's why signing Bell at all costs is so important IMO.  It can literally change the perception of the organization overnight, or at least kick start start that process.

Fair enough. Darnold, if protected correctly can really be the game changer. I remember a time when NE was the abyss. Member that? 

10 min left for the Bell fantasy to exist for our fans. Let's enjoy it. 

Archived