OT: You big tough guys out of NJ

HelenOfTroy

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This has been my experience, too. It’s disconcerting because they’re so, like, without pretense(?) emotionally. It’s like talking to aliens. 

I think for many of them they’re so used to be overwhelmed literally all of the time. The entire world has been on top of them since early childhood and HS/college is ungodly competitive now, much more so than anyone over 27 or so can really fathom. I admire them a lot. They bear a heavy burden as a generation, get wildly and incorrectly stigmatized by older generations and especially media, and they handle it all with a certain dignity and maturity that I don’t think I would have been capable of at their age. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s been my experience that kids now are more emotionally intelligent and empathetic than they’ve ever been. They’re a lot less sh*tty than when I was young. Anyone else seeing this?

They are more sensitive now for sure, which has pros and cons

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Not all of them, but often times yes.

There are definitely a lot of agro surfers, especially the territorial ones who dont like visitors.  I've seen a lot of fights in the water and on the beach over the years.  But more often than not, show respect, get respect.   

52 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

As a parent to two ASD kiddos, this stuff makes me feel a bit less stressed about their futures as my wife and I age. Thanks for sharing this.

My youngest daughter as well.  Have hope, mine is doing well, an artist and married!  

I cried when I saw the segment on Sunday Morning program.

Archived