Herm>Mangini>Rex>Bowles>Gase

kevin45

Our previous HC’s seem to be getting progressively worse. Herm’s teams were always fundamentally sound. Always one of the least penalized & turnover free teams. Sure he was hyper conservative. But I think that was mostly due to Chads weak arm. Mangini had some personality issues. But he was the one that built those AFC champion ship teams. Rex was offensively challenged. But man o man, were those some good Defenses. Not much good to says about Bowles, except that he was better than Gase.

But Gase is the worst we have seen since Kotite. There is not a single redeeming quality I can think of. The o-line is lost & our franchise QB is playing scared & regressing. He inspires zero confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, kevin45 said:

Our previous HC’s seem to be getting progressively worse. Herm’s teams were always fundamentally sound. Always one of the least penalized & turnover free teams. Sure he was hyper conservative. But I think that was mostly due to Chads weak arm. Mangini had some personality issues. But he was the one that built those AFC champion ship teams. Rex was offensively challenged. But man o man, were those some good Defenses. Not much good to says about Bowles, except that he was better than Gase.

But Gase is the worst we have seen since Kotite. There is not a single redeeming quality I can think of. The o-line is lost & our franchise QB is playing scared & regressing. He inspires zero confidence.

You are out of your mind. Rex>Parcells > Herm > Mangini > Bowlse. 

I don't understand why people continually belittle or disregard how good Rex was because he talked? He was the most successfull coach in team history outside of weeb. Parcells might have been a better coach overall but rex was a better coach for the JETS. 

I think Gase is somewhere between Herm and Magini, he is definately better than bowles.

• Thumb Down 2

You ever read low collision crossers ? Rex alienated his entire scouting department with picks like Jon Conner & Scottie McKnight. He was most likely the one responsible for bringing in Tebow ? And The whole “circus” reputation that that has encapsulated this franchise, started with Rex and his buffoonish press conferences.

Rex was a really good DC, that was handed a team chock full of talent drafted by Mangini. But he was an embarrassment of a HC.

• Upvote 1

Whether it was Rex or Woody, bringing in Tebow was one of the biggest mistakes in franchise history. The 4th rounder that we gave up for him, is probably the reason we didn’t take RussellWilson. The team hadn’t given up on sanchez yet. Terry Broadway was apparently pounding the table for Russell. But with no 4th rounder, it would have been a luxury pick.

So if Rex had even a little bit to do with Tebow...he set this franchise back 5-10 years.

56 minutes ago, kevin45 said:

You ever read low collision crossers ? Rex alienated his entire scouting department with picks like Jon Conner & Scottie McKnight. He was most likely the one responsible for bringing in Tebow ? And The whole “circus” reputation that that has encapsulated this franchise, started with Rex and his buffoonish press conferences.

Rex was a really good DC, that was handed a team chock full of talent drafted by Mangini. But he was an embarrassment of a HC.

You can be handed all the talent in the world but you still have to coach it.  Rex took Mangini’s talent and almost went to the Super Bowl with it while Mangini couldnt get it done.

Year after year regime after regime we find ourselves in a never ending rebuild fueled by false positives and whiffed draft picks. Throughout all the years the only constant has been the ownership and the sooner we all realize that until that changes we are never going to be a legitimate team the better. 

• Sympathy 1

I mean, I know the chatter of the day is the HC situation... but, I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that this is a "set up to fail" situation. I don't like Gase. I didn't like the hire. I want him gone yesterday.

I will however, make the point that him being terrible is merely part of a larger issue... we have to remind ourselves that as soon as Rex began dictating Tanny's roster moves, starting with the Sanchez pick and really becoming grotesque by his second year with the team, we began one of the least successful stretches that any front office has seen in terms of adding talent to a roster. Under Rex, we traded draft capital for short-term solutions like Santonio Holmes, we drafted terrible players because Rex "promised them" or they were friends of his kid in college, and other dumb sh*t like that. A roster that was once structured around veteran talent in the trenches, quickly became depleted and lacked adulthood and true leadership - both from an emotional standpoint and practical standpoint. Mentorship needs to serve two purposes: helping do the job better, helping maintain the culture and morale. Both deteriorated with Rex pulling Tanny's strings. We followed that up with Idzik, hired specifically for being someone associated with the Seahawks franchise. No other good reason. He was pretty bad, but at least it was dealt with quickly because of the infighting with him and Rex. Then came Charlie Casserly and his know-nothing approach to ear-******* a sports franchise. He lobbies for a terrible coach and GM, but worse... he stands idly by as Woody Johnson puts in-place a structure that makes both roles report to the owner. An org structure straight out of the Wharton School of Micromanagement. Mac proceeded to go on a half-decade run of signing FA and drafting players all of whom were basically no use to the team within 18 months of becoming Jets. Many of his picks are out of the league. Many more are on other teams, primarily as depth and fodder. The most criminal thing Mac did was find a way to keep his job while Bowles was fired. Setting on course several more wasted seasons of futility and embarrassment. 

So smile, everyone. It's not just Gase's fault!

• Sympathy 1

Mangini and Josh McDaniels had the same problems when they went to be HCs for the first time.  Smart football guys who tried to emulate Bill too much, not realizing that Bill has worked for decades to be able to be the guy he is.  They just came in as my way or the highway little dictators, and both got burned for it.  Both are great coaches, but were in over their heads in their first attempts at being HC.

Herm>Mangini>Rex>Bowles>Gase

As a Doctor I could compile a similar 'regression' regarding STD's...but what's the point ?

And a closer look at the years and results would tell you that:

Herm inherited a 9-7 Groh/Parcells team that in the 3 yrs prior had gone like 29-19 and lost an AFC championship game;

Mangini inherited a 4-12 Edwards team, but that team had been to the PO's 3 times in Edwards' 5 yrs as HC;

Ryan inherited a 9-7 Mangini team that if not for the elbow injury to Favre (and the resultant Favre disaster post-season) was a PO team and took the NYJ to 2 AFC Championship games..the last year of Ryan was the Idzik year;

Bowles inherited a 4-12 Ryan team after the Idzik draft disaster the year prior with MM as the GM...a weak schedule and a miracle season from RF at QB was the pinnacle of the MM era.  His drafts continued to suck;

Gase inherits a 4-12 Bowles team that was saddled with another loser draft from McCagnan.

I'm sorry, but what I'm seeing now is, IMO, the results of 6 years of atrocious GM performance.  Idzik and Macc were both disasters at talent evaluation and roster development leaving this team devoid of talent and depth.  Mercenaries at certain positions with no support and a bunch of DP's that are not impact players either because they suck or they play a complementary position like S or DT.

• Upvote 1