Enough is ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

JonEJet

Everybody has their own philosophy. IMO theres nothing wrong with saying "we want two game changing defensive players on the field at one time" not a lot of teams shying away from having an excess of talent in exchange for a back up QB. JMO of course.

In addition, suppose the Jets were to retain Abe and then we find out later that SD offered us Merriman for a draft pick. How many people would be saying we dodged a bulet by almost having two All-Pro type players on the team?

Everybody has their own philosophy. IMO theres nothing wrong with saying "we want two game changing defensive players on the field at one time" not a lot of teams shying away from having an excess of talent in exchange for a back up QB. JMO of course.

man, u r right on.

I remember Parcells with Giants when they had excess of allpro LBs, sayin same thing,,get the studs, they will find a place to play

In addition, suppose the Jets were to retain Abe and then we find out later that SD offered us Merriman for a draft pick. How many people would be saying we dodged a bulet by almost having two All-Pro type players on the team?

but how do you pay them both?

Put one at LB and one at DE or if a coach feels that they're undersized for DE, put em both at LB.

SJ said above the same thing I feel on the situation. Get a boatload of talent and find a place to put them.

Not like two OLB/DEs is unreasonable. It's not like getting two great QBs or something knowing that one won't play.

You get two all world/versatile players on defense...you find a way to use them.

san diego in GREAT shape salary cap wise,,,this from FOX Sports:

"In an analysis conducted by FOXSports.com of salary figures and cap numbers for the 2006 season, there is a major disparity between the Chargers and everyone else in their division.

Believe it or not, the Chargers are currently slated to have the third most amount of cap room to spend next year in the entire NFL. Conversely, the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL in terms of cap room for next year; the Broncos are second worst in the NFL in terms of cap room in 2006; the Chiefs are fifth worst in the league in 2006 cap position. "That's why the Chargers have a chance to run this thing for a while," said one AFC executive. "

Put one at LB and one at DE or if a coach feels that they're undersized for DE, put em both at LB.

SJ said above the same thing I feel on the situation. Get a boatload of talent and find a place to put them.

Not like two OLB/DEs is unreasonable. It's not like getting two great QBs or something knowing that one won't play.

You get two all world/versatile players on defense...you find a way to use them.

My bad, thought you said "play them both"

If the Chargers get Abe, they could have that dominating type defense that usually wins championships. That, and a great running game, and a super Tight End are all that is needed.

That's why they would do an Abe for Rivers. It gives them a leg up on everyone else.

If the Chargers get Abe, they could have that dominating type defense that usually wins championships. That, and a great running game, and a super Tight End are all that is needed.

That's why they would do an Abe for Rivers. It gives them a leg up on everyone else.

me thinks u r right

me thinks u r right

Go up and down the list of SB champs over the years. They all had great defenses, and solid running games. Except for the Rams, who had an explosive offense. And that team almost lost to the offensively challenged Tampa Bucs in the NFC Championship game. But the ingredients are like I listed above. A franchise Q/B is not a requirement for a SB Title. Marino never won, and Elway did only after Terrill Davis came around, and the defense improved. Steelers of old won with defense and running. Same with the Giants, Ravens, Tampa, et al.

The only real exception was the 49er teams of Montana, but they had the defense and running game to win.

Will you people please stop talking about Abe for Rivers!!!!!

Ain't happenin':Cuss:

SD has their ABE, his name is Shawn Merriman

Why would they need 2 of those guys in a 3-4

Shawne Merriman is a LB and John Abraham is a DE two different positins in a 3-4 defense you need more then one playmaker and if they choose they could move Abraham to LB like Miami did with Taylor. You also have to look at the fact that this will be Rivers third season and he has yet to play. If they don't trade him or play him they will lose all they've invested in him. I think Brees will be ready come this spring and Rivers won't see the field again...as a Charger. I think there is a chance the trade could happen.

Shawne Merriman is a LB and John Abraham is a DE two different positins in a 3-4 defense you need more then one playmaker and if they choose they could move Abraham to LB like Miami did with Taylor. You also have to look at the fact that this will be Rivers third season and he has yet to play. If they don't trade him or play him they will lose all they've invested in him. I think Brees will be ready come this spring and Rivers won't see the field again...as a Charger. I think there is a chance the trade could happen.

Chargers' 3-4 is set without JA unless JA will play MLB... Chargers need to revamp MLB not OLB or DE or DT... Vilma may be making a sense but Jets have limited LB corp....

JA for Rivers trade NEVER happens Unless Chargers plan to trade JA to whoever wants him for weak 2 draft picks....

Believe it or not, the Chargers are currently slated to have the third most amount of cap room to spend next year in the entire NFL.
I don't know why FOXSports.com are surprised that the Chargers have a lot of cap room. They never seem to spend big in the free agency period, plus they have drafted a number of good players in the last few years.

Whilst I am far from being an expert on the Xs and Os of the game, I do know that this model is the best way to consistently field a good team. I hope the new Jets FO can learn from this.

Abe would take over for Foley on the other side as OLB. I like this prospective trade alot because it gives us a quality talent at QB without sacrificing draft picks. I don't like it because I feelSD's D would be a monster with offenses having to constanty wonder whether the blitz is coming from Abe or Merriman. It would make them and instant force in the AFC, and I feel like if the trade works for both teams, we would constantly be battling to get past SD in the playoffs.

Abe would take over for Foley on the other side as OLB. I like this prospective trade alot because it gives us a quality talent at QB without sacrificing draft picks. I don't like it because I feelSD's D would be a monster with offenses having to constanty wonder whether the blitz is coming from Abe or Merriman. It would make them and instant force in the AFC, and I feel like if the trade works for both teams, we would constantly be battling to get past SD in the playoffs.

What I do like is the fact that Abe's name has surfaced with San Diego.

This only helps stir the pot and might force Denver's hand. I doubt we get both #1's, but it does make them more willing or likely to trade with us, given the rush to deal and beat out their Divisional rival.

I know Mangini comes from the Parcells/BB tree, and wnats the media to know very little, but I would use them here. Feed them info, hoping to fan the flames and up the ante. The more Abe's name is rumored in a trade, the better.

Whomever get Abe is in the driver's seat in the AFC West.

I dont get it.... Why must we obsess about trading JA to Chargers who clearly dont need JA?

The reason the rumor floats around is the Jets' salary cap and qb situation combination... Thats all... Nothing more or less...

Rivers will be dealt but not to Jets. JA will be dealt but not to Chargers...

I dont get it.... Why must we obsess about trading JA to Chargers who clearly dont need JA?

The reason the rumor floats around is the Jets' salary cap and qb situation combination... Thats all... Nothing more or less...

Rivers will be dealt but not to Jets. JA will be dealt but not to Chargers...

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I don't think it's so clear cut.

I doubt Rivers gets traded, at all, simply because I am not sure how healthy Brees is. Even if Brees is healthy, San Diego just offered him a contract and he has yet to sign. If he doesn't, they will franchise him. Suppose Brees holds out? What then? An extensive holdout could affect the team. Having Rivers keeps things flowing. He's been there two seasons and should know the offense, and must have had extensive reps in practice with the 1st and 2nd team.

Trading Rivers dilutes what leverage you have over him. I also think the risk of reinjury, ala Pennington, is a real factor. Lose Brees and your season now relies on your D and AJ Feely.

No thanks.

If a trade is made, Abe would be perfect for them. You can never have enough game changing DEs/LB. Opposing offensive coordinators would have sleepless nights having to gameplan on the Chargers.

I don't think it happens, but if it were to go down, a trade of Rivers would be to the Jets. We both have what each other wants. The Chargers would also strengthen one area and also keep Abe away from their rival, Denver.

Quick question.... How does SD sign Abe and Drew Brees next yr and absorbe the rivers trade cap hit?

no cap hit,,,600K this year,, it was absorbed in 1st 2 years,,,thats why SD didnt trade him last year.........

plus they are 3rd bes tteam in NFL as far as cap space

And your proof of that is?????

Typical. You say that Rivers will definetly be traded, but not to us, and offer up nothing. Meanwhile, you ignored or fail to address the five or so points I made as to why he may not be traded.

I also offered up why San Diego would want Abe, but you ignore that as well.

Give us YOUR reasoning as to why the trade will or won't go down.

Unless Chargers want to move JA to MLB, JA wont be suitable for DE or OLB in 3-4 scheme.

JA will go to any team that features 4-3 scheme.. Rivers will be dealt to any team who needs a young qb immediately after Brees is fully ready.

JA going to 3-4 scheme team is stupid.....

Eagles are best suitor for JA because they may need Coles back to LB and let JA take over RE.... Eagles are full with young talented players and plenty of draft picks...... One drawback is that DC Johnson likes Coles alot at DE... I hope Reid bypasses Johnson's decision...

Hi from San Diego!

Nice post Miamijet

We talk about Rivers to the JETS all the time as well (because of need) but that was before Brees' arm poped out. We N-E-V-E-R said anything about wanting JA. We are kind of happy with having the top run defence.

Where would JA play? Because our DE and OL are great (2 in the pro bowl)! JA would have no impact to our team we need ILB. We can't even get a KILLER OLB on the field (Shawn Phillips).

Chargers fans want your #4 overall, Straight up... D'Brick or LB AJ Hawk would help us.

But the truth is we will hold River till Brees looks OK.

Here's the problem. Abe played as the OLB in the 3-4 under Groh and had success under it. It was Herm's idea to have Abe bulk up and play DE, but there's no reason why Abe can't revert.

Porter plays that role with Pittsburgh.

Abe might be a good move to Philly, but because they are so cap conscious and have a good amount of money inversted in The Freak, I would have a hard time believing they would make the trade. Philly also holds their draft picks like gold. They make solid draft picks and add free agents that are undervalued or affordable.

The San Diego thing works mainly because IF the Chargers decided Brees would be fine, they would have a good amount of money invested at QB, money that could be used elsewhere. The Chargers almost have to trade Rivers. They also need Rivers as security and leverage on Brees signing a deal and reporting to camp. Not a nice situation.

With Brees a free agent, they either have to sign him, franchise him or let him go. Signing Brees again ties up far too much money. Franchising him again ties up money and the scenario has to be played out again each year. Trade Rivers, and you shore up an area of concern, plus you have the funds to either sign Brees long term or sign free agents.

Thanks, Sir.

Of course you guys would wnat our #4, but I can't see the Jets trading away such a high pick, not when they could possibly get someone like Schaub for less(maybe the #35 pick).

The only advantage the Jets would have in trading the pick away to San Diego, is that Rivers already comes under contract, while drafting Cutler or anyother QB would come with a prohibitive, back breaking contract and signing bonus.

Trading Abe for Rivers, would make sense in that case, but reality says otherwise. Brees is still a question mark. Atlanta might make more sense.

Rivers throws like a girl, keep him.

John Abraham > whoever your passrushers are (and I think Merriman is great but not at Jabes level and may never get there).

If we give up our #4 pick for Rivers then we deserve to be the laughingstock of the league because no one in their right mind (after watching him play) would spend the 4th overall pick on the guy. ;) If SD wants to rape someone give the Giants a call, I hear they have a few more 1st rounders they'd like to give you guys.

:cheers:

Archived