Mekhi Becton OT Louisville

RobR

Becton is absolutely gigantic. Pass pro is such a premium right now, technique issues may be magnified in a seemingly solid tackle class. I wonder how he'll be able to perform athletically at that size as well. Could see him sliding but still having a good career.

Really, really curious to see how tackle is approached. Edoga had some ups but more downs and pretty bad downs and is not a Douglas pick. Shell is a FA. Bringing back Beachum as insurance seems viable but regardless the Jets could realistically bring in two tackles from this class. A couple of the guys outside the consensus top 3 seem to project well athletically also which would make sense schematically as well as in terms of trying to solidify the left side.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RobR said:

It is INCREDIBLY hard to find decent tape out there on Becton so I'll wing it with what I can find.

Pros: Mammoth human being who looks the part. He has a great first step and has a clean kick slide while using his arms well at full extension. Moves his feet very well for someone his size and is great when riding his man around the pocket. He can completely punish people in the run game and has the ability to throw 250lbers around like ragdolls. Has a bit of a mean streak although I overplayed it in earlier posts. Started almost every game since his true freshman season and has played both RT and LT. He'll turn 21 a week before the draft making him one of the youngest prospects.

Cons: He's RAW and is terrible when it comes to countermoves (reminds me of Shell). Always seems a step slow at the second level. He can't lay a cut block to save his life. He needs to learn how to hold better (get his hands inside and latch on)  and keep engagement instead of just punching and lunging.

Overview: Many have asked if he's worth the 11th overall and while I waffled on it earlier I just can't see it. The combine will answer many more questions when we can watch him move through the positional drills, although I think he'll look good. He'll struggle as a rookie in pass pro but two years from now I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the best tackles from this draft with good coaching. I like him at RT more even though he played the majority of his snaps at LT. Late teens, early 20's type of pick unless he elevates during the long offseason. Reminds me a bit of DJ Fluker.

These guys always make me nervous. The raw, 'massive human' prospects who are a bit overweight and a bit too slow. However, watching film on this guy he actually moves really well on the field. I like him as a Rd. 2 prospect, but would not be at all surprised if someone took him late in Rd. 1. However, if I had a choice between him and another raw OT prospect in Prince Tega Wanogho, I'd go with Prince. Very different raw prospect in the sense that he has limited experience and is tall and lean rather than bulky. He would need to get stronger once in the NFL. But the guy is a great athlete with great feet and long arms. Strong as a pass blocker and really good in space. I think he is the type of blocker Gase would like because of his ability to move and zone block effectively.   

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

These guys always make me nervous. The raw, 'massive human' prospects who are a bit overweight and a bit too slow. However, watching film on this guy he actually moves really well on the field. I like him as a Rd. 2 prospect, but would not be at all surprised if someone took him late in Rd. 1. However, if I had a choice between him and another raw OT prospect in Prince Tega Wanogho, I'd go with Prince. Very different raw prospect in the sense that he has limited experience and is tall and lean rather than bulky. He would need to get stronger once in the NFL. But the guy is a great athlete with great feet and long arms. Strong as a pass blocker and really good in space. I think he is the type of blocker Gase would like because of his ability to move and zone block effectively.   

I haven't watched any of Prince tega so I don't have an opinion on him. What is going to draw teams into selecting Becton is the fact that he can move so well for someone that size. He also doesn't look very fat to me. If you watch a few of his interviews it looks like he takes the weight room seriously.

9 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

just can't find tape on him

Here is some that I used. Not perfect by any means but there's not much out there. Also throw in the ND game which was already posted here and is the easiest tape to breakdown. In a lot of these games he plays both RT and LT so you have to follow the number. Damn I miss Draftbreakdown. That was the best draft resource for guys that like to watch tape.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The tape is finally out there. I'm getting giddy like a @Paradis feeling about TE's. The highest upside with any OT is with Becton and it's not even close. Just look at how much larger of a human being he is within his stance when the camera pans across the line. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

The tape is finally out there. I'm getting giddy like a @Paradis feeling about TE's. The highest upside with any OT is with Becton and it's not even close. Just look at how much larger of a human being he is within his stance when the camera pans across the line. 

So you really think this guy can excel in the NFL. I won’t pretend to be good at spotting OL talent and correctly predicting if they’ll translate. Like, @Paradis, I’m much more on the WR/RB end of things. I’m actually sort of clueless on OL so I always look to you around this time of year for input. 

I’ve had major reservations about Becton but if you think he can be the real deal, I believe you.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

So you really think this guy can excel in the NFL. I won’t pretend to be good at spotting OL talent and correctly predicting if they’ll translate. Like, @Paradis, I’m much more on the WR/RB end of things. I’m actually sort of clueless on OL so I always look to you around this time of year for input. 

I’ve had major reservations about Becton but if you think he can be the real deal, I believe you.

Here is his Clemson tape from this year......every snap. He not only beats his man on every play but several times he ragdolls them and punishes them. He is quick out of his stance and he can get to the second level. Love him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I can’t remember the last time 4 tackles went in the top 10, especially when you have 3 QBs probably going in the top 10 along with Chase and Okudah. Jets are getting a tackle at 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Jeremiah just mocked four tackles in the top 10, with Becton being the first one taken (by giants and their affinities for hog mollies)!

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I can’t remember the last time 4 tackles went in the top 10, especially when you have 3 QBs probably going in the top 10 along with Chase and Okudah. Jets are getting a tackle at 11.

As much as I LOVE this OT class, even I can't see four going Top 10 because it would be unprecedented. I also can't see 3QB's going that early because after Burrow you only have one deserving QB in Tua and he is held together with chicken wire and mortar. Herbert is fools gold.

Did you see that kid from S. Carolona St., Alex Taylor? 6084 with 36 1/8" arms at 308 lbs which is super light for that frame. I watched a bit of his tape and wasn't very impressed but as a developmental guy he's huge with a giant wingspan. I wouldn't mind gambling a 5th or 6th on him depending what we do earlier.

10 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Daniel Jeremiah just mocked four tackles in the top 10, with Becton being the first one taken (by giants and their affinities for hog mollies)!

All that means is that it will never happen. These guys can't get it right when the teams are on the clock, let alone 3 months early. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Wasn't 4 tackles, but 2013, 5 OL went in the top 10.  3 OT (Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Jonson) plus Chase Warmack and Jonathan Cooper.  Then Fluker went 11. 

These are the Jets.  Nothing ever seems to go as we would hope.  I fully expect 3 or maybe even 4 OTs will come off the board and we will draft defense.

• Upvote 2

Another full game tape showing every snap and he never loses. On several occasions his punches send the defender 5 yards away and he locates a DB twice 10 yards down the field and launches them into outer space. That is crazy hard to do for such a big man locating such a small man.

On the negative he's not very good at cutblocking and looked like he tired as the game went on. Can't wait too see what he measures in at. He's gotta be 608 at 360lbs with some 36" vines. Big fan.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wasn't 4 tackles, but 2013, 5 OL went in the top 10.  3 OT (Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Jonson) plus Chase Warmack and Jonathan Cooper.  Then Fluker went 11. 

This should be filed under Lithfans....This day in history. That was always a great read, maybe you could continue it here.

Also, what a terrible record for so many Olineman going that early with a less than 50% success rate. I never liked that class near as much as I do this one, especially at the OT position.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

This should be filed under Lithfans....This day in history. That was always a great read, maybe you could continue it here.

Also, what a terrible record for so many Olineman going that early with a less than 50% success rate. I never liked that class near as much as I do this one, especially at the OT position.

Pretty sure that was a historically bad draft class overall.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Can he (should he) shed some weight?  Would he be much better at 345?

I'm guessing he weighs in around that weight come combine time for agility purposes. In the pros I can still see him playing at 360 because even at that weight he's not fat and he'll just be turning 21 a week before he's drafted. He's a large human being that is agile.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RobR said:

I tried starting a couple of "this day" type threads over here.  Never seemed to generate much interest, so I didn't keep it up.

• Sympathy 1

Here is some new tape never posted here. It's another every snap tape and I'm smitten. Look at his base at the 2:47 mark. He's already covering four yards with his length.

Edit too ad: Check out the 9:07 mark with his pull blocking and then 14:30 for the second level.

Time to dig into his background. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Screw it.. I’m sold. Draft this mammoth of a human being at 11 and slot him in at LT for hopefully the next 10 years 

2EF41AD5-9909-419D-BCE1-9561C2E6BC7A.png

Sounds like Jeremiah was reading the JN board here recently. 

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I'm guessing he weighs in around that weight come combine time for agility purposes. In the pros I can still see him playing at 360 because even at that weight he's not fat and he'll just be turning 21 a week before he's drafted. He's a large human being that is agile.

Bill Parcells’ “Planet Theory”

• Sympathy 1

These are the Jets.  Nothing ever seems to go as we would hope.  I fully expect 3 or maybe even 4 OTs will come off the board and we will draft defense.

They had no QBs go in the top 10 that draft, EJ Manuel was the first QB in the teens I believe.

As much as I LOVE this OT class, even I can't see four going Top 10 because it would be unprecedented. I also can't see 3QB's going that early because after Burrow you only have one deserving QB in Tua and he is held together with chicken wire and mortar. Herbert is fools gold.
Did you see that kid from S. Carolona St., Alex Taylor? 6084 with 36 1/8" arms at 308 lbs which is super light for that frame. I watched a bit of his tape and wasn't very impressed but as a developmental guy he's huge with a giant wingspan. I wouldn't mind gambling a 5th or 6th on him depending what we do earlier.

I haven’t watched Taylor yet. I also haven’t watched Herbert, but we have all seen this show before. Huge kid, huge arm, good intangibles. If he has a good week in Mobile, he’s going top 10 (whether he deserves to or not)