Mekhi Becton OT Louisville

RobR

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I saw that and I think he is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not that crazy though.  Given how good some of these LT prospects are, and given how few true LT prospects are coming out of college now, teams may be placing higher values on these kids.  If you look at the teams ahead of the Jets, you can make a case that at least 4 of them have a need at LT.   We’ll see what Tua actually looks like come pro-day time, because I think he’ll be the key as to whether there will be 3 or 4 LTs taken ahead of the Jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

This kid is as impressive as it gets. He's a leader at the next level with a sky is the limit trajectory.

@jetstream23 2:13 mark he talks about his weight. 

Man. I’m not gonna call it love but I’m starting to fall in deep like with this guy. lol

11 might not be too early after all. 

And 370 lbs during 2018 to playing at 350 in 2019 really seems to have helped. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Man. I’m not gonna call it love but I’m starting to fall in deep like with this guy. lol

11 might not be too early after all. 

And 370 lbs during 2018 to playing at 350 in 2019 really seems to have helped. 

For a twenty year old guy he sure carries 350lbs around well. He's gonna rock 225 at the combine with some of the longest arms ever.

28 minutes ago, maury77 said:

With the week Herbert is having at the Senior Bowl, he’s playing his way into the top 10 (good for us). Remember, Daniel Jones went top 10 in part because he was the Senior Bowl MVP

Tua and Herbert are both big X factors in this Draft.  There will be a team that simply can't watch Tua slide towards 10.  They'll move up to get him.  My assumption here, of course, is that all of his medicals come out okay and that he runs and throws at some point prior to the Draft.  That may not be the Combine (I think he's skipping that but might go for the measurements?) but he'll need to run and throw at a Pro Day or something no later than late March / early April so that teams have enough time to evaluate and decide just where they'd be comfortable taking him.

If Burrow, Herbert, Tua all go in the Top 10, along with Chase Young and Jeffrey Okudah then that right there leaves potentially 6 guys (all of whom could be a fit for both value and need with the Jets) of which at least one is mathematically guaranteed to be there at #11.  I'd put up Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Jeudy and Lamb as those 6 right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Tua and Herbert are both big X factors in this Draft.  There will be a team that simply can't watch Tua slide towards 10.  They'll move up to get him.  My assumption here, of course, is that all of his medicals come out okay and that he runs and throws at some point prior to the Draft.  That may not be the Combine (I think he's skipping that but might go for the measurements?) but he'll need to run and throw at a Pro Day or something no later than late March / early April so that teams have enough time to evaluate and decide just where they'd be comfortable taking him.
If Burrow, Herbert, Tua all go in the Top 10, along with Chase Young and Jeffrey Okudah then that right there leaves potentially 6 guys (all of whom could be a fit for both value and need with the Jets) of which at least one is mathematically guaranteed to be there at #11.  I'd put up Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Jeudy and Lamb as those 6 right now.

Exactly. Let the Herbert hype train begin!

On 1/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, jetstream23 said:

Most of the mocks I’m seeing have both the Dolphins and Chargers drafting Tua/Herbert before us

it’s hard to imagine those teams not going QB.  Fitzpatrick is horrible and the Chargers don’t even have anyone even if they get Brady he’s only going to be there 1-2 years

I’m hoping one of the top 3 fall to us at 11 because of this otherwise draft Lamb at 11

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, maury77 said:

With the week Herbert is having at the Senior Bowl, he’s playing his way into the top 10 (good for us). Remember, Daniel Jones went top 10 in part because he was the Senior Bowl MVP

I could see him at 5 to the dolphins 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

becton might make me eat words but I'd bet on him running like a 5.6 or something gross 

yes he's big that's not enough other wise the league would employ sumo wrestlers 

Prove it with workouts please 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

becton might make me eat words but I'd bet on him running like a 5.6 or something gross 

yes he's big that's not enough other wise the league would employ sumo wrestlers 

That's a pretty good line.?

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I’m a big believer in planet theory at OT

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You're basing that 5.6 strictly on his weight?  I haven't seen this kid outside of what has been posted here, but most reports say he moves very well.  Is that just a "very well for his size" or do you think he doesn't move that well?  Can he be one of the guys with a better 10 yard split?  My understanding is that is what they look for in OL.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're basing that 5.6 strictly on his weight?  I haven't seen this kid outside of what has been posted here, but most reports say he moves very well.  Is that just a "very well for his size" or do you think he doesn't move that well?  Can he be one of the guys with a better 10 yard split?  My understanding is that is what they look for in OL.  

Watch tape of Becton both at Louisville and High School he’s mobile enough 

If we pass on him because he doesn’t run a 4.2 40 Im kicking the tv

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I'll take that bet. Becton is going to be a solid 340 or less and will wow at the combine as the freakish athlete he is.

• Sympathy 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, RobR said:

This kid is as impressive as it gets. He's a leader at the next level with a sky is the limit trajectory.

@jetstream23 2:13 mark he talks about his weight. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Check out this interview I posted earlier. He's already dropped 20 pounds over a year and that is before he starts training for the combine. You can also find a few interviews of him out there that shows that he's pretty lean for such a large human being. He's not some fat kid or as Bit put it, a Sumo wrestler masquerading as an OT. LMAO at that comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'll take that bet. Becton is going to be a solid 340 or less and will wow at the combine as the freakish athlete he is.

I tend to agree.  I think he moves well, and not just for a 360 pound guy, but if he was 320 pounds.  He may need to be coached up a bit, like just about every LT prospect coming into the NFL, but there’s a lot to work with.   

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Check out this interview I posted earlier. He's already dropped 20 pounds over a year and that is before he starts training for the combine. You can also find a few interviews of him out there that shows that he's pretty lean for such a large human being. He's not some fat kid or as Bit put it, a Sumo wrestler masquerading as an OT. LMAO at that comment.

I almost want Becton to not have a good workout so he slides to us at 11

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're basing that 5.6 strictly on his weight?   

there's a database behind NFL draft scout that records junior pro day times (or estimates)

Becton's estimated low is 5.4 his high is 5.6 

what I said by the way was prove it during workouts and make me eat crow

Its a plate I'd gladly eat... It just feels like hoping rather than what actually's going to happen 

guys who play at 370 are usually fat slobs at that weight

and if he shows up to the combine at 340 it's fair to question whether he can maintain that weight 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, Beerfish said:

I do not believe that Tua will go before our pick.

I also think we will be getting calls for him at that point.

He’ll be gone inside of 10 IMO. Same deal as Gurley. So long as there’s nothing shady about his medical, the upside is too tantalizing at a position that’s too hard to fill.

The question is @RobR at 11 if you get a decent offer to move back do you take it and add a few day 2 picks, or do you take this kid from Louisville

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

The question is @RobR at 11 if you get a decent offer to move back do you take it and add a few day 2 picks, or do you take this kid from Louisville

Way too many variables at this point to answer that question. I will tell you this, if he looks smooth in the drills at the combine I'd have a hard time moving down and probably just pull the trigger. If he butchers some of the drills like Peat did (whom I loved) then I'd probably look to go down unless Wirfs or Thomas were available.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

guys who play at 370 are usually fat slobs at that weight

and if he shows up to the combine at 340 it's fair to question whether he can maintain that weight 

This makes absolutely no sense. So he's a fat slob at 370 but if he gets into shape he won't be able too maintain that weight. And FTR if you watched the video I posted above he played at 350lbs. last year and he's far from a fat slob.