All dogs go to Heaven

History remembers who it wants too.  Clubs are for losers.  Nobody needs the R&R HOF to tell you that no one coudl play like Hendrix.  That nobody ever sounded like John Entwistle of drummed like Neil Peart or John Bonham.  Sam's way with the NFL. Both sports and music are a public domain. And fans pick their sports heroes in football.  Anybody that tells you Joe Namath (for example) DOESN'T deserve to be in the HOF... never saw him play.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

History remembers who it wants too.  Clubs are for losers.  Nobody needs the R&R HOF to tell you that no one coudl play like Hendrix.  That nobody ever sounded like John Entwistle of drummed like Neil Peart or John Bonham.  Sam's way with the NFL. Both sports and music are a public domain. And fans pick their sports heroes in football.  Anybody that tells you Joe Namath (for example) DOESN'T deserve to be in the HOF... never saw him play.

Great post. Although I prefer Marty Friedman, Angus Young, Nicko McBrain, and Steve Harris types. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I did not see Namath play.  My father certainly did. 

He says that the closest player he could think of to what Jameis Winston just did with his 5000/30/30 club?  Joe Namath.

'Fling it anywhere, great TD passes, double coverage, triple coverage... neither of them care(d).  Just throw it and see what happens.'

I gotta be honest.  I am aware that statistics were very different back then after Namath comparisons to guys like Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, and others.  But Namath appeared, statistically speaking, to throw a hell of a lot of picks.  I believe my Dad when he says many of them were horrible.

He also says that Klecko deserves to be in the HOF more than Namath and Winston Hill.   Namath was wreckless and overrated... and Hill used to hold a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I did not see Namath play.  My father certainly did. 

He says that the closest player he could think of to what Jameis Winston just did with his 30/30 club?  Joe Namath.

'Fling it anywhere, great TD passes, double coverage, triple coverage... neither of them care(d).  Just throw it and see what happens.'

I gotta be honest.  I am aware that statistics were very different back then after Namath comparisons to guys like Unitas, Starr, Tarkenton, and others.  But Namath appeared, statistically speaking, to throw a hell of a lot of picks.  I believe my Dad when he says many of them were horrible.

He also says that Klecko deserves to be in the HOF more than Namath and Winston Hill.   Namath was wreckless and overrated... and Hill used to hold a lot.

You'll find just any many people who say he does as he doesn't.  But that's not my point.  We choose out own heroes.  We have our own criteria.  Any person who was great you'll find a person with an argument against them.  You'll find people who think Pat Boone was a more important musical artist than Elvis.  That Hank Aaron shouldnt get every vote on the first ballot for the HOF.  But did people who see them qualify them... well yeah.  Of course not everybody... but to others they are seminal figures in history.