2020 Yankees Thread

chirorob

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

If the others can stay healthy Cole, Tanaka, Paxton and German is still a nice postseason core plus Montgomery I guess. 

The problem is we won’t get German and Paxton back until the all star break

very concerned about our rotation right now.  Thank God we signed Cole

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Severino has been hurt for over a year now. And the Yankees just found out he needs tommy john.

What in the f###.

Yeah that part sucks. Would have been nice if they did this last year and we were talking about him coming back this year.

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wonder if they will try to wedge Chad Green back in there.  I think they always want him to start.

If they do I hope it isn't as an opener, let him stretch out a bit. But I think they have enough other options anyway.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That would be interesting.   Surviving to mid-season with Severino, Paxson and German all coming back?  

I am still not sold on German. Happy to watch him repeat it, but I was concerned about him going into the playoffs. If he was on the roster and pitched the same way the Yankees are in the World Series. If German is legit:

Cole - Tanaka - Paxton - Happ - German is a pretty damn good rotation.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I am still not sold on German. Happy to watch him repeat it, but I was concerned about him going into the playoffs. If he was on the roster and pitched the same way the Yankees are in the World Series. If German is legit:

Cole - Tanaka - Paxton - Happ - German is a pretty damn good rotation.

I don't think I want Happ in there.  I like Montgomery.  I guess I am the only one?  I thought the fear with German was going all those innings wore him out?  He should be fairly fresh in 2020. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think I want Happ in there.  I like Montgomery.  I guess I am the only one?  I thought the fear with German was going all those innings wore him out?  He should be fairly fresh in 2020. 

I just wanted to see German do it when the competition level rises. The Yankees seemed to score a lot when he was pitching.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Cashman and these contracts. Ellsbury, Hicks and Severino, just terrible.

I thought the Severino was a good extension.   He was young, had just pitched 2 very good seasons, and had no health concerns.   His arm then immediately falls off from the strain of signing the contract.

Hicks was bizarre.   Why give him 7 years?   He has always been injury prone.   Ellsbury is an all time bad contract.

21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I thought the Severino was a good extension.   He was young, had just pitched 2 very good seasons, and had no health concerns.   His arm then immediately falls off from the strain of signing the contract.

Hicks was bizarre.   Why give him 7 years?   He has always been injury prone.   Ellsbury is an all time bad contract.

I do agree, Severino was back luck. No way to see it coming.

I didn't like the Hicks deal either. I thought he was overpaid and they thought they were buying future years at a discount. Except he is always hurt.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He would have been out for this season regardless.

They could have acquired another starter this offseason if they had done the dye test earlier.

Not to mention, what if they did the dye test after 2018 - when he was first reported as being hurt? Maybe he had the tear back then. If so, he would have been back this season.

Cashman CONSISTENTLY undervalues the importance of both elite starting pitching AND depth. He is an overrated GM. He believes in acquiring sluggers more than elite starters. His track record over the last 15 years shows this. 

• Upvote 1

Sanchez was signed as a catcher when he was 16. The guy is what, 27 now? And he's still learning how to squat properly behind the plate, block balls and frame pitches. You cannot make this stuff up. This guy should have been dumped a year ago. He's a liability. Signing a stud like Cole and giving him Sanchez as a catcher is beyond ridiculous. This team would be better with just Romine and Higashioka. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barton said:

They could have acquired another starter this offseason if they had done the dye test earlier.

Not to mention, what if they did the dye test after 2018 - when he was first reported as being hurt? Maybe he had the tear back then. If so, he would have been back this season.

Cashman CONSISTENTLY undervalues the importance of both elite starting pitching AND depth. He is an overrated GM. He believes in acquiring sluggers more than elite starters. His track record over the last 15 years shows this. 

The problem is Cashman has been burned so many times by free agent SP’s (Randy Johnson, Javy Vasquez twice, AJ Burnett, Kevin Brown) he’s now really gun shy to get pitchers

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The problem is Cashman has been burned so many times by free agent SP’s (Randy Johnson, Javy Vasquez twice, AJ Burnett, Kevin Brown) he’s now really gun shy to get pitchers

All those guys were past their prime or 2nd tier pitchers. Thats my point. He hardly ever goes after the aces. Other teams trade for aces. HE HAS NEVER TRADED FOR AN ACE. What does he do? Hug his prospects, who are usually just corner outfielders and corner infielders, ie dime a dozen players that you can acquire in any free agency class for just dollars. Meanwhile the red sox get josh beckett, curt schilling and chris sale. The astros trade for Verlander, Cole and Greinke etc. When has Cashman ever traded for a legit #1 ace? NEVER. Because he doesnt put a #1 ace pitcher at the top of his to-do list. He'd rather trade for sluggers with holes in their swings like Stanton. This guy has been the GM of the NEW YORK YANKEES for over 20 years. He has delivered 1 championship the last 20 years. That is F'ING TERRIBLE. All those talented teams in the early mid-2000's - never won anything. After 2009 - nothing. Again, when was the last time the Yankees entered the season with the best starting staff on paper in the entire league???? It hasnt happened in God knows how long. Why? Because Cashman doesnt priortize starting pitching and having a legit top 5 starter on his team. Period.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

All those guys were past their prime or 2nd tier pitchers. Thats my point. He hardly ever goes after the aces. Other teams trade for aces. HE HAS NEVER TRADED FOR AN ACE. What does he do? Hug his prospects, who are usually just corner outfielders and corner infielders, ie dime a dozen players that you can acquire in any free agency class for just dollars. Meanwhile the red sox get josh beckett, curt schilling and chris sale. The astros trade for Verlander, Cole and Greinke etc. When has Cashman ever traded for a legit #1 ace? NEVER. Because he doesnt put a #1 ace pitcher at the top of his to-do list. He'd rather trade for sluggers with holes in their swings like Stanton. This guy has been the GM of the NEW YORK YANKEES for over 20 years. He has delivered 1 championship the last 20 years. That is F'ING TERRIBLE. All those talented teams in the early mid-2000's - never won anything. After 2009 - nothing. Again, when was the last time the Yankees entered the season with the best starting staff on paper in the entire league???? It hasnt happened in God knows how long. Why? Because Cashman doesnt priortize starting pitching and having a legit top 5 starter on his team. Period.

Maybe these numbers can talk you and the rest of the paranoid Yankee fans off the ledge a bit. The Yanks play 19 games against the Orioles who lost 108 games, 19 against the Blue Jays who "only" lost 95. They play 6 games each against the power house Tigers who lost 114, and the scary Royals who went down 103 times. Throw in 6 more against the always great Mariners who dropped 94 and that makes 56 games, or35% of your schedule against AAA teams. Or, to ease the pain even more, 19% against teams that lost 100+ games.  You could pitch Cole and the top four starters from Scranton and still win the division by 15 games. It's Friday, go have a cold one and relax. It's gonna be ok.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2020 at 3:15 PM, section314 said:

Maybe these numbers can talk you and the rest of the paranoid Yankee fans off the ledge a bit. The Yanks play 19 games against the Orioles who lost 108 games, 19 against the Blue Jays who "only" lost 95. They play 6 games each against the power house Tigers who lost 114, and the scary Royals who went down 103 times. Throw in 6 more against the always great Mariners who dropped 94 and that makes 56 games, or35% of your schedule against AAA teams. Or, to ease the pain even more, 19% against teams that lost 100+ games.  You could pitch Cole and the top four starters from Scranton and still win the division by 15 games. It's Friday, go have a cold one and relax. It's gonna be ok.

3/5 of the rotation is injured.  Judge and Stanton are both going to miss serious time.  I get it.  The Red Sox, Jays and O’s all suck someone still has to play the games