Gase And The Missing Strawberries...

THE BARON

On 2/14/2020 at 7:11 AM, FidelioJet said:

It’s clear Gase is not a good HC - not smart nor does he have a good offensive mind.

The OP is correct in this regard though - it seems to me Gase was successful with Manning (more likely Manning was successful with Gase) so in his tiny mind he thinks that’s the way it should work with everyone.

It’s obvious Sam’s skill-set it quite a bit different than Mannings...Yet Gase has been trying to turn Sam in Manning as opposed to adapting his coaching style and offense to capitalize on Sam’s talent.

Gast Stiinks!

Agreed. Sam is not Manning. I’m hoping next year Gase mixes things up with his offensive schemes. Sam can throw accurately on the run, can run the ball and is also a good pocket passer when there is one. Manning was more of a straight pocket passer. Offense should be set up for Sam’s strengths.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Agreed. Sam is not Manning. I’m hoping next year Gase mixes things up with his offensive schemes. Sam can throw accurately on the run, can run the ball and is also a good pocket passer when there is one. Manning was more of a straight pocket passer. Offense should be set up for Sam’s strengths.

Sam is uncannily accurate on the run and much faster than most realize.  Not moving him and/or the pocket to make him much more of a weapon is quite mind-boggling to me.  

Yes, let’s hope Gase watched the NFL this year and understand the way the league is going.  Now that QB are basically untouchable (even the guys that run) it’s much better to have a mobile QB than ever before in this league.

From what I’ve seen I don’t think Gase has the ability to adapt and be creative.  I just hope he doesn’t ruin Darnold before he gets fired next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 2/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, THE BARON said:

Gase Is Intelligent, Hard Working & Dedicated, But Is He Pathologically Addicted To A System That Does Not Fit His Current Command ???

Like many others, I have been very critical of Gase...  

I'll try to look on the bright side, since we are stuck with him.

He is clearly intelligent and hard working, but he as been stubborn.  I think most can see that he is married to specific offensive system that he feels comfortable with.  Or, perhaps, addicted to.  Like Captain Queeg trying to relive past successes by looking for the missing strawberries...

The system that he seems to be addicted to consists of a zone blocking scheme with a static pocket and a very basic and short set of pass plays that depend on absolute precision from the QB and pass catcher with respect to timing and ball placement.  The exact system you want to run with a QB that has the skill set of Peyton Manning.  The blocking scheme is also a lot better for a powerful straight ahead runner.  It does not favor a cut-back runner or any other type of ball carrier that reacts to opportunities (BELL)

After Darnold had his "talk" with Gase, the following game, we saw a different offense.  We saw a lot more aggressive man blocking up front.  We saw the pocket move.  We saw Darnold move.  We also saw a lot more production.  Darnold looked comfortable and confident.  Not like a fish out of water as he had been in the system Gase seems to be queer for,

I have NO DOUBT that Gase can design and run an offense that is much better suited for Darnold and Bell rather than sticking with a zone blocking and a static pocket,

The question is, will he ???

It is time for Gase to realize he has to stop looking for the missing strawberries...

Ironically, Captain Queeg waa not done in by his attempt to relive past glory. Rather, his lack of success was directly attributable to the know-it-all green behind the ears officers under his command that refused to support him.

14 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ironically, Captain Queeg waa not done in by his attempt to relive past glory. Rather, his lack of success was directly attributable to the know-it-all green behind the ears officers under his command that refused to support him.

Eh. I thought the situation went both ways. Queeg’s actions led to loss of confidence in him by the subordinates. By the time Queeg admitted it and tried to recover by asking for help, it was too late. Not to mention his indecisiveness and paralysis in times of crisis almost lead to the sinking of the Caine and the deaths of most of the crew.

Using this as a metaphor, Gase accepting Darnold’s input at the season midpoint was Gase’s admission that he failed. The typhoon may be yet to come.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:00 PM, MaxAF said:

Gee... Ya think ???  But will Gase keep looking for the strawberries ???