Why Do You Hate Mekhi Becton?

Why Do you Hate Mekhi Becton?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following most closely matches your view of Louisville OT Mekhi Becton:

• I don't hate him, in fact, I think he's AWESOME. He my #1 Offensive Tackle
    • I think he will be a good NFL player and I would be happy if we took him at #11
    • He's okay and an acceptable pick at #11
    • I hope we don't take him, I would rather have any other OT or a WR instead of him
    • I HATE him as a prospect, hope we don't draft him, he's got "BUST" written all over him

• On one hand you have to tip your hat to Becton.  He did manage to prepare for and play his final season at Louisville, and prepare for the Combine, in a way that masked his issues.  It carried through into his rookie year, although even then he was injured.  Becton could not keep up the preparation.  But that does not mean that we should not hate him for fooling JD+.
  • But you have to be frustrated for JD for making that type of investment in Becton.  Look at the Ravens.  They look an oversized Orlando Brown.  IN THE THIRD ROUND.  That is where they also picked Failele.  Becton's size should have dropped him on the board-you don't pass on Wirfs for Becton.   This was an example by JD of swinging for upside with a Top 15 pick that I don't think we see again.  
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • On one hand you have to tip your hat to Becton.  He did manage to prepare for and play his final season at Louisville, and prepare for the Combine, in a way that masked his issues.  It carried through into his rookie year, although even then he was injured.  Becton could not keep up the preparation.  But that does not mean that we should not hate him for fooling JD+.
  • But you have to be frustrated for JD for making that type of investment in Becton.  Look at the Ravens.  They look an oversized Orlando Brown.  IN THE THIRD ROUND.  That is where they also picked Failele.  Becton's size should have dropped him on the board-you don't pass on Wirfs for Becton.   This was an example by JD of swinging for upside with a Top 15 pick that I don't think we see again.  

end of the day the GVR rolling up on Becton was a fluke incident and it could have derailed a skinnier man's career as well

if we want to blame JD it's for signing GVR. the Becton pick was a swing for the fences (and Becton had a far rarer RAS than Brown or Falele) Orlando Brown Jr had an absolutely awful combine. 

keeping the Positive vibes going I'm not ready to Mea culpa on Becton because even though he's injured now he's still young and could have a good career in the league. It might not be with the jets but it's too soon to say he's 23 he's done. Guys get rolled up on and sometimes rehab takes a while.  

look at what Carl Lawson has comeback from. 2 ACLs and an Achilles no one here thinks he's done. David Bakthiari is still rehabbing a knee that he injured in the 2020 playoffs. Fant's career didn't even really get started until his late 20's.  If Becton wants to have a career, he can. 

21 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Hmm. I loved Wirfs and Andrew Thomas that year.

I could live with Wills’s low ceiling and Becton’s low floor. 

I hated Austin Jackson.

Good year for me. 

I thought Ezra Cleveland would have been better. He's an average OG at this point...