Mangini on First Things First

4 minutes ago, slats said:

This is nonsense, IMHO. And I'm tired of reading it. 

Dude's outta football for a reason. No one's ever considered putting him in a front office job. It's just some weird Jet fan mythology. 

Can’t beat the #Stangini hive, slats. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Can’t beat the #Stangini hive, slats. 

Oh, and I blame you. 100%. Don’t think I don’t.  

And not some cool, fun kinda blame, either. No, more like the way I blame Ralph Nader. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

This is nonsense, IMHO. And I'm tired of reading it. 

Dude's outta football for a reason. No one's ever considered putting him in a front office job. It's just some weird Jet fan mythology. 

I dont think he can get an NFL job as long as BB is still working. I dont know hether he deserves a job or not but Mangini is screwed by BB. It like the NFL version of the Ako vendetta. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I dont think he can get an NFL job as long as BB is still working. I dont know hether he deserves a job or not but Mangini is screwed by BB. It like the NFL version of the Ako vendetta. 

Don’t buy it. He had two years with the Browns after Spygate. Only Jim Harbaugh gave him a shot after that, and he didn’t want to bring him to Michigan. If Mangini had some special talent to spot NFL talent, he’d be in a front office somewhere. 
But, see, he doesn’t. 

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Don’t buy it. He had two years with the Browns after Spygate. Only Jim Harbaugh gave him a shot after that, and he didn’t want to bring him to Michigan. If Mangini had some special talent to spot NFL talent, he’d be in a front office somewhere. 
But, see, he doesn’t. 

I am no great fan of his and like I said I honestly cant say if he deserved another shot or not but using the Browns job as an example of him still having had NFL opportunities post Jets is like saying the janitor had the choice of cleaning any toilet stall to pick from as long as it was in Cleveland. It may have been the only job BB felt EM "deserved" after he exposed some of the Patriots skullduggery. Who can be certain but based on his well documented character flaws I wouldnt put it past him.

peter-king-bill-belichick-office.jpg

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

I am no great fan of his and like I said I honestly cant say if he deserved another shot or not but using the Browns job as an example of him still having had NFL opportunities post Jets is like saying the janitor had the choice of cleaning any toilet stall to pick from as long as it was in Cleveland. It may have been the only job BB felt EM "deserved" after he exposed some of the Patriots skullduggery. Who can be certain but based on his well documented character flaws I wouldnt put it past him.

peter-king-bill-belichick-office.jpg

It’s been ten years since that Browns job. No one wants to bring him in to work with their front office? This amazing finder of talent? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s been ten years since that Browns job. No one wants to bring him in to work with their front office? This amazing finder of talent? 

Eric Mangini single-handedly slapped an asterisk on 25 years of NFL record-keeping, ensuring that Belichick’s legacy is forever marred. I’d say there might be some professional consequences for doing so, particular in a Good Ol Boy network like the NFL coaching fraternity 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eric Mangini single-handedly slapped an asterisk on 25 years of NFL record-keeping, ensuring that Belichick’s legacy is forever marred. I’d say there might be some professional consequences for doing so, particular in a Good Ol Boy network like the NFL coaching fraternity 

Are you offering this up yet again? I told you, I’m not buying. This guy is supposed to be some talent unearthing savant, not Colin Kaepernick. If someone -anyone!- in the NFL thought he had some ability to help their team win football games, he’d have a job. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Are you offering this up yet again? I told you, I’m not buying. This guy is supposed to be some talent unearthing savant, not Colin Kaepernick. If someone -anyone!- in the NFL thought he had some ability to help their team win football games, he’d have a job. 

What’s more likely?

1. Eric Mangini is so incompetent that he can’t get a job in a league where Brian Schottenheimer has remained employed for thirty years

-or-

2. Eric Mangini has been effectively blackballed from the league for invalidating the legitimacy of the achievements of that league’s banner franchise, threatening not only those records, but also the massive revenue streams brought in by gambling.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s more likely?

1. Eric Mangini is so incompetent that he can’t get a job in a league where Brian Schottenheimer has remained employed for thirty years

-or-

2. Eric Mangini has been effectively blackballed from the league for invalidating the legitimacy of the achievements of that league’s banner franchise, threatening not only those records, but also the massive revenue streams brought in by gambling.  

On a scale of 1-10 where your choice #1 gets to remain #1, but your #2 now becomes #10... ? 

I'm gonna say 2.5

Mike Tannenbaum was working, he couldn’t help a brother out? The league thinks he’s trash. Too many years have passed for Spygate to make a **** of difference now. If this guy had skills that win NFL games, he’d have a job. 

Just now, slats said:

On a scale of 1-10 where your choice #1 gets to remain #1, but your #2 now becomes #10... ? 

I'm gonna say 2.5

Mike Tannenbaum was working, he couldn’t help a brother out? The league thinks he’s trash. Too many years have passed for Spygate to make a **** of difference now. If this guy had skills that win NFL games, he’d have a job. 

Yeah, I don’t know, man. Taking away the pro-Mangini trolling aspect, and given how many sh*tty coaches hang around the league forever, you’d have to believe that there’s some extracurricular considerations going on there. Mangini blew the whistle on the league’s most powerful coach. He’d be exiled in most industries for doing something like that

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t know, man. Taking away the pro-Mangini trolling aspect, and given how many sh*tty coaches hang around the league forever, you’d have to believe that there’s some extracurricular considerations going on there. Mangini blew the whistle on the league’s most powerful coach. He’d be exiled in most industries for doing something like that

Love ya, man, but on this one I just simply disagree. Even if there was a black-balling, that would now be long expired. This was once an up & coming coaching star, if any single team in the league thought he could help them build a winner -for the last seven or eight years, easy- they could bring him in and rehabilitate that image pretty quickly. Tanny was working for the fish, he wouldn’t suggest bringing in the Mangenius if he thought he had these magic skills you attribute to him? To beat the Cheats? The Jets?!?

The league has no respect for him. No interest. And that’s the correct position. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Love ya, man, but on this one I just simply disagree. Even if there was a black-balling, that would now be long expired. This was once an up & coming coaching star, if any single team in the league thought he could help them build a winner -for the last seven or eight years, easy- they could bring him in and rehabilitate that image pretty quickly. Tanny was working for the fish, he wouldn’t suggest bringing in the Mangenius if he thought he had these magic skills you attribute to him? To beat the Cheats? The Jets?!?

The league has no respect for him. No interest. And that’s the correct position. 

Belichick is still the league’s most powerful coach and he works for the de facto CEO of the league. I’m thinking these facts would present some hurdles toward finding future employment.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick is still the league’s most powerful coach and he works for the de facto CEO of the league. I’m thinking these facts would present some hurdles toward finding future employment.

You can quote me again, but I’m really hoping I’m done after this one. I do not buy it. If this guy had some special skills, he’d be working. This is a young man still. The entire league is conspiring against him all these years, even though he has the ability to turn their teams into contenders? No man, no. That’s just nonsense. It’s not happening. It’s just that there’s not a single team in the league that thinks he’s worth bringing in. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

You can quote me again, but I’m really hoping I’m done after this one. I do not buy it. If this guy had some special skills, he’d be working. This is a young man still. The entire league is conspiring against him all these years, even though he has the ability to turn their teams into contenders? No man, no. That’s just nonsense. It’s not happening. It’s just that there’s not a single team in the league that thinks he’s worth bringing in. 

Do we know he's looking for a job? Dude made about ten million in his career. Could be set for life.

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Why do you bother with Tom he just likes breaking balls..B)

21 minutes ago, Arsis said:

Do we know he's looking for a job? Dude made about ten million in his career. Could be set for life.

So your best argument here is that Eric Mangini, a guy who took an offensive consultant job to get back into the league in 2013, doesn’t need to work because he was set for life three years before that? He’s got nothing to prove because he made $10M ten years ago? 

1 hour ago, slats said:

So your best argument here is that Eric Mangini, a guy who took an offensive consultant job to get back into the league in 2013, doesn’t need to work because he was set for life three years before that? He’s got nothing to prove because he made $10M ten years ago? 

Long days and sleepless nights are harder and harder to justify to yourself when you're set for life.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The entire point of the discussion is that Tannenbaum put those teams together... With Mangini. That's the whole discussion. And if we're going to point out Mangini's failed tenure with the Browns, Tannanbaum's failed tenure with the Dolphins is obviously just as relevant.

Chad's entire career was about his health.

I agree with the second point. Rex definitely took that team to another level. But it's clear the the teams drafting, FA moves, and overall talent acquisition was better under Mangini pointing to a glaring problem with Tannenbaum and Rex. Tannenbaum clearly relied on and catered to his coach in terms of players to go after (bean counter) and Rex clearly sucked at that whereas Mangini seemingly did a pretty good job.

Tannenbaum helped Miami make the playoffs, Mangini didn't help Cleveland.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, Philc1 said:

The real problem was Woody not Rex.  And he’s still the Jets biggest problem 

And if Rex wanted a defensive coordinator job he could get one fairly easily. Mangini can’t get a job was waterboy in the nfl

The real problem is Woody left and put Chris in charge.  Under Woody we never saw 2 consecutive losing seasons and had our longest stretch of sustained success in franchise history. 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The real problem is Woody left and put Chris in charge.  Under Woody we never saw 2 consecutive losing seasons and had our longest stretch of sustained success in franchise history. 

did you just put woody on a pedistal?

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

did you just put woody on a pedistal?

Woody isn't Bob Kraft but he's not Leon Hess or James Dolan either.  The Jets under Woody had our longest stretch of sustained success in franchise history.  Was it his fault he bought the team right before Brady took over in New England?  He made mistakes but we never had back to back losing seasons under him 

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You don’t think Mangini crapping himself here, in Cleveland and San Francisco has anything to do with it?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Woody isn't Bob Kraft but he's not Leon Hess or James Dolan either.  The Jets under Woody had our longest stretch of sustained success in franchise history.  Was it his fault he bought the team right before Brady took over in New England?  He made mistakes but we never had back to back losing seasons under him 

We had a couple ok years in the early 2000’s because Woody inherited a roster built entirely by Bill Parcells (who quit immediately after he bought the team)

A couple good years with Rex and then afterwards:

1. Woody forces a trade for Tim Tebow when Terry Bradway and Rex Ryan were wanting to draft Russell Wilson 

2. Woody throws Rex under the bus and refuses to sign Revis nor Cro in 2014 with $30 mil in cap room and we get stuck with deadbeat Dmitri Patterson

3. Signs off on huge extensions for Mark Sanchez and Mo Wilkerson

4. Hires Idzik

5. Hires Bowles and Macagnan 

6. Runs away to a made up job in England because he doesn’t want to get blamed for a mess he created with the jets

F Woody

22 hours ago, slats said:

But, see, he doesn’t. 

Why would he go to Michigan with Harbaugh?  He was promoted to DC in SF when Harbaugh left.  He should have gotten the HC job in SF.  Tomsula and Kelly were absolutely pitiful in SF.    

Mangini biggest failing was working for three of the absolute worst organizations in the NFL.  

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's not just that Mangini ratted out the premier team in the NFL as cheating, it tainted the entire reputation of the league as clean and fair.  The Pats where the marquee NFL team. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms wore knee pads to national broadcasts of Pats game for a reason.

Image is everything to the NFL.  That's why the tapes were burnt.  That's why Kap was blackballed.  Now that the economics of the politics have changed the NFL doesn't care about kneeling.  The advertisers, money, has changed the politics. 

The NFL at the corporate level isn't a competition.  The owners are partners and the league's reputation for fair play threatens the fabric of an economic enterprise built on fair competition.  Mangini was a very young HC.  He had some ups and some downs.  In a league where the good old boy network has protected incompetents for decades it's not unfair to wonder why he hasn't gotten another chance.   The NFL is full of incompetents who worked for BB who get chance after chance with team after team.  

Mangini was a bright guy, he was a tight ass who made a lot of mistakes.  He also did some really good things when he was here.  He took a crappy team on both sides of the ball with a really smart QB who could barely make half the throws in the  NFL route tree and took them to the playoffs.  He left the team in better shape than when he came.  Cleveland was a disaster for a lot of coaches.  They all got jobs again.  Harbaugh didn't help him when he hired him and it was clear SF was finished and Harbaugh abandoned ship before the wheels fell off.  Him not having a job is not evidence that he is incompetent.  The NFL covering up cheating isn't evidence that he's being blackballed.  I suspect the reason falls somewhere in the middle.

• Post of the Week 1

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why would he go to Michigan with Harbaugh?  He was promoted to DC in SF when Harbaugh left.  He should have gotten the HC job in SF.  Tomsula and Kelly were absolutely pitiful in SF.    

Mangini biggest failing was working for three of the absolute worst organizations in the NFL.  

SF is one of the worst organizations in the league now? 

Why don’t any of the good organizations want him, then? I suspect that it’s no coincidence that the Jets, Mangini, and Browns all found each other, though. 

Povero Mangenius!  He can't get a job because the big bad wolf, BIll Belichick has blackballed him.  Never mind that since that shortly after that nonsense he was hired by 2 teams, 2 different GMs to work with 3 different staffs. Belichick isn't an idiot.  I'm sure he has probably been lobbying for the Dolphins or Bills to hire the guy.

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Why don’t any of the good organizations want him, then? I suspect that it’s no coincidence that the Jets, Mangini, and Browns all found each other, though. 

That's a good one.  The entire cult of Mangini on here is based him building a team that dragged Rex Ryan kicking and screaming to 2 AFC championship games.  Meanwhile the Jets were 2 years removed from Doug Brien costing them an AFCCG, the Browns 2 years removed from a 10-6 record and the 49ers had just lost the super bowl.  Poor guy, saddled with teams nobody could win with.  Meanwhile, I doubt Browns or 49ers fans are celebrating the great shape that he left their teams.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I told you why.  He ratted out the league and the owners and the BB coaching tree that's all over the league aren't going to hire him and his record is mixed.  A combination of failure as a HC which would not prohibit anyone from hiring as a coach and the league not wanting him in. 

Why did you mischaracterize the SF gig?  I'm not married to a narrative.  I'm telling you what I think and that you completely mischaracterized Harbaugh not taking him to Michigan as some kind of black mark.  As if he would have held him back from his brilliant HC career at Michigan.  

Offensive consultant for 49ers?

What the hell is that anyway?

In my world consultants dont even rate a parking space. This was some great opportunity??

To me it sounds like Harbaugh actually had pity for the guy and may have been the only NFL person of stature with the guts to move out of BBs league wide sphere of influence to give him some work menial as it may have been.

Oh and if anyone doesnt believe BB has league wide influence and doesnt have Goodell on a leash just look at yesterdays "punishment" for the latest cheating they were caught red handed for.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I told you why.  He ratted out the league and the owners and the BB coaching tree that's all over the league aren't going to hire him and his record is mixed.  A combination of failure as a HC which would not prohibit anyone from hiring as a coach and the league not wanting him in. 

Why did you mischaracterize the SF gig?  I'm not married to a narrative.  I'm telling you what I think and that you completely mischaracterized Harbaugh not taking him to Michigan as some kind of black mark.  As if he would have held him back from his brilliant HC career at Michigan.  

I bring up Harbaugh because he’s the only person who’s been willing to hire the guy in the last decade, and he left Mangini on the curb when he got himself his potential job-for-life. 

And as I’ve repeated in this thread, it’s been a long time since Spygate and the Pats were just sanctioned for cheating again. So no, I don’t buy this blackballed BS. He’s out of the league because he sucks. If he had this miraculous talent finding ability attributed to him by a select group of vocal Jet (and no one else) fans, he’d be working for an NFL team. But, see? He doesn’t. 

59 minutes ago, slats said:

The Niners hired Jim Tomsula as their head coach during this period.

• Upvote 1