I feel bad for Darnold when I compare his supporting cast to Baker's and Allen's

hamat711

On 8/15/2020 at 7:57 PM, hamat711 said:

Nobody on the Jet's offense is the best at any given position of the three teams.

Besides for Leveon Bell and Chris Herndon all positions on the Jets would come in dead last among these three teams. The only one that is debateable is Cole Beasley vs Jamison Crowder because they had the same amount of TDs and nearly identical Yards Per Game.

But he's the best of the 3 QB's so he'll be fine in the long run.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

With Adams gone and Mosely sitting out, i no longer think 8 wins is possible.

Both great players for sure. They played without Mosely last year, Williams will need to come up with a way to bring other players ( like Maye and others) down in the box to cause confusion. Adams was never a great cover guy. How many times did you see him get beat up top??? He was good at covering Tight ends I’ll give you that. But had neither great instinct or speed for receivers. Truthfully Adams is more of a linebacker than he is a safety’s IMO.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, NYJ1 said:

100% AGREED. When your GM has to give personal assurances to Sammy's parents about giving him appropriate protection and weapons to utilize you know your teams management is a bunch of idiots. You know this when you see your GM takes the cheap way out fixing the OL. You know that when you haven't seen your team be competitive in nearly a decade. This team is 100% GARBAGE just like when Mike Macagnan was in charge. The ONLY difference I see is JD made an effort to fix the OL, albeit a cheap, half hearted effort and we have extra picks moving forward. But the fact remains, this team is right back at square one in regards to talented veterans. You absolutely CANNOT win with this team as it is currently comprised. 

Great post.  And great observations.   I couldn’t agree more.  It’s sad, but like you, I want to see this team win and compete.

Once again we’re fielding a team that will be unable to be compete at a high level.  And the GM did very little to fix that problem, in fact he weakened the roster for this season (not counting draft picks because we have no idea what they’ll be).  Sure, he was better than his predecessors in that he’s doing a full-on tear down rebuild and not trying half-ass it, but we have no idea if he’s capable of building a team.

We’ll find out soon enough.

I’m an optimist and I will hold out hope. 

• Upvote 1

Forget just comparing the surrounding cast with the Browns and Bills.  Look at what Kyler Murray has to work with in Arizona, look at what Drew Lock has to work with in Denver.  Even Joe Burrow in Cincinnati has a better collection of talent around him.   It’s not breaking news that the collection of offensive skill players on the Jets roster is bottom 5 in the league.  

5 hours ago, Gibby said:

Both great players for sure. They played without Mosely last year, Williams will need to come up with a way to bring other players ( like Maye and others) down in the box to cause confusion. Adams was never a great cover guy. How many times did you see him get beat up top??? He was good at covering Tight ends I’ll give you that. But had neither great instinct or speed for receivers. Truthfully Adams is more of a linebacker than he is a safety’s IMO.

This years schedule is much tougher than last years.  Defense would have to take a giant leap forward to reach 8-8.  I dont see it happening.

Thing i fear is Jets open awful, and week 10, after accruing a season of service time, mass amounts of players opt out.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Forget just comparing the surrounding cast with the Browns and Bills.  Look at what Kyler Murray has to work with in Arizona, look at what Drew Lock has to work with in Denver.  Even Joe Burrow in Cincinnati has a better collection of talent around him.   It’s not breaking news that the collection of offensive skill players on the Jets roster is bottom 5 in the league.  

That’s what happens when Macagnan and Idzik draft for 6 years combined