Mehta: Jets to work out Receiver Moncrief

On 8/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, jetstream23 said:

I'll preface this by saying I really like what Joe Douglas has been doing overall.  But, it's very troubling that 4 weeks before the start of the season he's signing WR Chris Hogan and bringing Donte Moncrief in for a workout.  Everyone and their mother knew that OLine and WR were the two biggest problems for the Jets this past offseason and the two most important things to fix around their hopeful young QB.  I excused last season's panic signing of Ryan Kalil at Center because the Jets were in dire straits on the OLine.  But Douglas has been here for about 15 months now....this isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Yes, I know... he can't control injuries.... just like last year.

Not that I was high on Doctson but I don't know if they anticipated him opting out. 

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Dude was handed the #2 spot in Pitt last year and completely dropped the opportunity.......

He was bad last year... 4 receptions for 18 yards through five games bad.

Not excited about bringing him in any capacity.

I honestly didn't watch him last year but having a 2nd or 3rd string QB could have been an issue.

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I honestly didn't watch him last year but having a 2nd or 3rd string QB could have been an issue.

Having optimism about a player in his 6th or 7th year would require some body of evidence to support that notion. 

Moncrief has never been more than a JAG. 

16 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Donte Moncrief was and still is better than Quincy Enunwa since they both were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. One has 21 career touchdown receptions and the other has 5 career touchdown receptions. Guess which one made more career money so far?

You are the champion of false narratives and incomplete information. And Ed Oliver's biggest fan in denial

His best seasons - the ones you're passively referring to? 

• 2014/2015 -- playing behind Reggie Wayne Andre Johnson and TY Hilton as the #3
  • 2016 -- he "ascended" to their #2 and answered with... 30 catches (and 7tds)... 

Your offering of # of TDs as some kind of indicator of success is not going to win you any mileage in this conversation. At the best of times he was a situational threat with questionable hands. 

36 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It was definitely a factor, but other receivers like Dionte Johnson and James Washington were able to show promise while Moncrief choked on a golden opportunity and was cut by midseason during the first year of a two year deal.

He could turn it around but last year was on him.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  Just saying that the current WR situation isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Thank goodness Perriman is reportedly looking very good so far in Camp.

It’s a fair critic. But the players available weren’t any better then the guys we have or the guys we are bringing in now.

If Perriman and Mims perform, our top 3 WRs are descent. Lots of ifs though. It was going to be hard to avoid the IFs though.

I still think they are descent enough for now. 

39 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

A much better JAG than Quincy eDONEwa. 

21>7

Why does it matter if Moncrief is/was better than Enunwa?  Moncrief was the 90th overall selection in 2014.  Enunwa was the 209th overall pick.  Many WRs taken in Rd 6 are only expected to contribute on special teams.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

@Paradis aka Ed Lovers biggest stan.

I never agreed with the re-signing of Quincy Enunwa. He was never productive enough to warrant being re-signed at that price. If Joe Douglas does sign Donte Moncrief, he'll likely match Quincy's TD production since winning the Mac Lottery in 1 game. 

39 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

A much better JAG than Quincy eDONEwa. 

21>7

your MO of false narratives and incomplete info is only reinforced. 

• I was one of the - if not THE biggest critics of Enunwa and his contract. 
  • I like Ed Oliver, and always thought he was a better pick than QW, but never called myself his biggest fan. I was beating the Josh Allen drum while you were still had eyes for Leonard Williams

Anything else, pal?

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Anything else, pal?

Yeah, how big is your Ed Oliver FatHead?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why does it matter if Moncrief is/was better than Enunwa?  Moncrief was the 90th overall selection in 2014.  Enunwa was the 209th overall pick.  Many WRs taken in Rd 6 are only expected to contribute on special teams.  

The draft is a crap shoot. Once they get on the field production counts more than where someone is drafted. Hence I was dead set against re-signing the fragile JAG.

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yeah, how big is your Ed Oliver FatHead?

The draft is a crap shoot. Once they get on the field production counts more than where someone is drafted. Hence I was dead set against re-signing the fragile JAG.

Well yeah, I was against re-signing him as well.  I just don't understand the connection with Moncrief other than them being from the same draft class.  And even then it's not like we chose Enunwa over him.  

And no, the draft isn't a crap shoot.  It's a game of poker.  And one that Macc routinely lost to all 31 other NFL GM's.

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well yeah, I was against re-signing him as well.  I just don't understand the connection with Moncrief other than them being from the same draft class.  And even then it's not like we chose Enunwa over him.  

And no, the draft isn't a crap shoot.  It's a game of poker.  And one that Macc routinely lost to all 31 other NFL GM's.

No connection other than they are both JAGS from the same draft class. One has 21 touchdowns and the other has 5 and is out the league still collecting his Mac Lottery payments.

21 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Dude was handed the #2 spot in Pitt last year and completely dropped the opportunity.......

He was bad last year... 4 receptions for 18 yards through five games bad.

Not excited about bringing him in any capacity.

Diontae Johnson a middle round draft pick rookie outplayed both Moncreif and Juju

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

@Paradis aka Ed Lovers biggest stan.

I never agreed with the re-signing of Quincy Enunwa. He was never productive enough to warrant being re-signed at that price. If Joe Douglas does sign Donte Moncrief, he'll likely match Quincy's TD production since winning the Mac Lottery in 1 game. 

Broke crap vs stinky crap

Some debate