Mehta: Jets to work out Receiver Moncrief

3 hours ago, freestater said:

This reciever tragedy is all overblown. 

Pretty much 

I’d personally love to make a trade for someone like Smith-Schuster or Robinson, but guys like Crowder, Herndon, Griffin and Bell are likely to eat up at least 60% of Darnold’s attempts this year anyway.

And despite not having a “true #1 wideout”, none of those guys are exactly chopped liver.

Having dudes like Becton and McGovern added to the OL should at least open up the occasional running lane for Bell/Gore/Perine. Which should make Darnold’s life exponentially easier.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I remember this guy being pretty effective with Andrew Luck throwing to him. What happened to him last year?

He had a 700 yard season 6 years ago when Luck literally had no other WRs healthy on the roster

other than that Moncreif has been utter trash his entire career

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Moncrief is talented, but he is the definition of hot and cold.

He can look like an All-Pro at one minute, and like a camp body the next.

He has had some success in the league, but he's maddenly inconsistent.  Capable of catching anything, equally capable of dropping anything.

I watched, in person, Moncrief scorch Trumaine Johnson by 4 yards for a long TD in Jacksonville two years ago.

But one doesn't have to be an all-pro to do that.  A warm, camp body is enough to beat that bum deep.

Moncrief has been on like 3 teams in 4 years or something. 

He stinks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RoadFan said:

I watched, in person, Moncrief scorch Trumaine Johnson by 4 yards for a long TD in Jacksonville 2 years ago.

But one doesn't have to be an all-pro to do that.  A warm, camp body is enough to beat that bum deep.

Moncrief has been on like 3 teams in 4 years or something. 

He stinks.

JD is really scraping the bottom of the barrel here

sign AB

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Another scrub

People always fall in love with the TC/pre-season wonders.

Burnett has barely even been able to stick around in the league as a practice squad candidate, yet just because he has a past with Darnold...we should’ve clung on for dear life!

What’s that Greg Dwarf fella up to these days? The guy who fumbled two PR’s last pre-season and another on a simple slant yet everyone was pissed we cut him in favor of Berrios, a guy who actually has slot depth/ST value?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s still exactly like he was at Ole’ Miss.   That’s why he was pushed down into the 3rd round.  

I remember when we talked about him years ago and most of us didn't like him. Big guy that plays like a giant pussy with inconsistent hands.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Burnett has barely even been able to stick around in the league as a practice squad candidate, yet just because he has a past with Darnold...we should’ve clung on for dear life!

What’s that Greg Dwarf fella up to these days? The guy who fumbled two PR’s last pre-season and another on a simple slant yet everyone was pissed we cut him in favor of Berrios, a guy who actually has slot depth/ST value?

I remember two years ago people predicting Burnett was the next Wayne Chrebet only better because of a nice catch he made - of a ball that was out of bounds

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Moncrief obviously isnt an inspiring name, neither is Hogan but that's what you get without a trade this time of the year.  I just keep telling myself that Herndon really is a joker type TE and when Griffin his healthy (anyone know that time frame btw?) that Herndon would probably be the 4th WR in those type of sets and we'll just see a ton of Crowder/Perriman/Mims.

If Gase doesn’t find a way to use both TEs, I’m gonna be pissed. That would be the definition of not building your offense around what you have even though he has talked a lot about doing that. 

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

If Gase doesn’t find a way to use both TEs, I’m gonna be pissed. That would be the definition of not building your offense around what you have even though he has talked a lot about doing that. 

As inept as Gase is I don’t see him screwing that up

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Really wish we had held onto Deontay Burnett. I know he was lacking some speed but the kid made plays and was comfortable with Darnold. 

Legit QBs don’t need to be surrounded with bad players, just because if comfort.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Big/fast vet who has had some success.  Worth bringing in for a look considering the current WR situation.

Donte Moncrief was and still is better than Quincy Enunwa since they both were drafted in the 2014 NFL Draft. One has 21 career touchdown receptions and the other has 5 career touchdown receptions. Guess which one made more career money so far?

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Drums said:

I think everyone saw how much more effective Sam was with a Griffin in the line up and again, since Herndon really is more a WR vs. a TE, that I cant imagine this being an issue for Gase.  Especially when you only have 1 reliable WR on the entire team.  He's already admitted to not using Bell the right way, I have to imagine he's getting creative with Bell and Herndon since they both can play the slot. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

As uninspiring as this would be and as much as Manish is a useless dickbag, this is still a lot more believable than trading for Ngakoue. 

Well yes.  Moncreif sucks and no one else is desperate enough to offer him a contract

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

Wasn't Moncrief in the conversation last year? 

I think Manish reported that Maccagnan had interest last February.  I remember because it was one of those articles that happened before the FA period and would probably have technically been tampering.  Not sure they ever even had him in.  

Interesting thing after my comp pick comment to @chirorobin the Ngakoue thread, but comp picks and Leveon Bella are why the Steelers cut him last season.  He was the starter the first two weeks, taking over for AB, but had a bunch of drops and was benched.  After that, he played limited snaps and just kind of hung around.  The Steelers saw that his contract might offset Bell's for comp pick purposes if he were on the roster as of week 10.  They cut him by week 9 and he did not count as qualifying and they got a 3rd and took Alex Highsmith.

Pretty much 

I’d personally love to make a trade for someone like Smith-Schuster or Robinson, but guys like Crowder, Herndon, Griffin and Bell are likely to eat up at least 60% of Darnold’s attempts this year anyway.

And despite not having a “true #1 wideout”, none of those guys are exactly chopped liver.

Having dudes like Becton and McGovern added to the OL should at least open up the occasional running lane for Bell/Gore/Perine. Which should make Darnold’s life exponentially easier.

I think you need to add Perriman to that mix and up the % of Darnold's attempts those guys will eat up. And let's not forget Mims.

Deontay Burnett is with the Eagles.  He is a solid if unspectacular slot option.  Definition of JAG IMO.  He offers nothing on special teams, so he will always be on the bubble.  I think of him like a poor man's Kembrell Thompkins though Thompkins at least got some reps on specials.  

Interestingly (or not) Greg Dortch actually took Moncrief's job with the Panthers last year.  After he was cut by the Steelers so they could get a 3rd round comp pick, the Panthers picked up Moncrief.  They cut him to bring Dortch up off the practice squad.  Dortch didn't play offense, but returned kicks and punts.  He lost a fumble and they cut him.  He signed on the Rams practice squad, but I think they cut him earlier this month.  Dortch is tiny and probably fairly weak leading to fumbling issues, but he is still only 22. 

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I remember two years ago people predicting Burnett was the next Wayne Chrebet only better because of a nice catch he made - of a ball that was out of bounds

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Legit QBs don’t need to be surrounded with bad players, just because if comfort.

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Deontay Burnett is with the Eagles.  He is a solid if unspectacular slot option.  Definition of JAG IMO.  He offers nothing on special teams, so he will always be on the bubble.  I think of him like a poor man's Kembrell Thompkins though Thompkins at least got some reps on specials.  

Interestingly (or not) Greg Dortch actually took Moncrief's job with the Panthers last year.  After he was cut by the Steelers so they could get a 3rd round comp pick, the Panthers picked up Moncrief.  They cut him to bring Dortch up off the practice squad.  Dortch didn't play offense, but returned kicks and punts.  He lost a fumble and they cut him.  He signed on the Rams practice squad, but I think they cut him earlier this month.  Dortch is tiny and probably fairly weak leading to fumbling issues, but he is still only 22. 

I fully admit my love for Deontay is somewhat irrational but I will disagree with the whole "everyone loves a preseason warrior" angle. The problem with Burnett as described above is he doesn't have the speed to play specials. The difference between him and say Preseason HOF Clowney is that Burnett got limited chances in live games but when he did he actually came through. When he was forced into action he had 10 receptions on 15 targets for 143 yards. 14 yards per reception ain't bad for a slow receiver.  The kid produced, he just wasn't given the chance to do so for more than 2 games that season. 

• Upvote 1

For me....Moncrief was just a good 4th round big speedy type receiver prospect to develop.  3rd round was too rich to take him there.  He had the tools.  Don't know whether he has problems grasping a playbook and running his routes properly.  Reading the defenses or just plain poor concentration.  I'm sure it's a combination of at least some of those things.  IMO he's nothing more then a #5 depth piece. 

I would prefer a Paul Richardson  or Demaryius Thomas signing over Moncrief.  

JMO.

I can't really fault JD for this.  He inherited a squad that was way below average in talent.  He brought in Perriman to replace Robby, which is close enough to a lateral move, but Perriman is cheaper and may be better so I'm good there.  He drafted Mims right where we all thought he should take a WR.  He did a little dance in the 2nd round that made us nervous but it worked out.  Can't predict your rookie WR would be unavailable for this long.  He signed a few other FAs off of a thin scrap heap and they mostly didn't work out.  Signed a few UDFAs but that's always a crap shoot and so far, not working out.  

So we can criticize him for not taking another WR in the 3rd or 4th round, but unless AGG or Gabriel Davis turn out to be quality players, maybe JD had good reasons for that.  The only other thing I can think of is did we have any chance to bid up the Cardinals' offer for Hopkins.  A 2nd round pick plus David Johnson.  Looking back, I think almost any of us would gladly send more than that to have gotten him in here.  And now with the hindsight of the SEA picks, it would have been even nicer.  But we don't know what we don't know.  We've had some bad breaks, but with Crowder still here, Herndon back, and Bell being Bell, Sam should still have plenty of targets to work with until Mims gets on the field.

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Moncrief was an unmitigated disaster in Pittsburgh. Can't hurt to work him out but not holding my breath. 

The guy is just not talented.  He was Andrew Luck’s first progression for an entire season in 2015 due to injuries and he only accumulated 700 yards total.  That sucks. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I think everyone saw how much more effective Sam was with a Griffin in the line up and again, since Herndon really is more a WR vs. a TE, that I cant imagine this being an issue for Gase.  Especially when you only have 1 reliable WR on the entire team.  He's already admitted to not using Bell the right way, I have to imagine he's getting creative with Bell and Herndon since they both can play the slot. 

From your fingers to God's ears..

...wet willy!

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The guy is just not talented.  He was Andrew Luck’s first progression for an entire season in 2015 due to injuries and he only accumulated 700 yards total.  That sucks. 

Here is a list of guys that have gone for more than 700 yards in a season more than once with Luck throwing them the ball.  TY Hilton, and Reggie Wayne.  That is it.  Coby Fleener, Eric Ebron, Donnie Avery and Moncrief all did it one time and IIRC all were in the 700s.  The idea that Luck was like Montana  slinging it around making everybody awesome is silly.  We are looking at this guy as a potential #3, #4 outside WR.  We worked him out and didn't sign him.  This is not big news.  He also worked out for the 49ers who also didn't sign him. Do you want to go on their board and tell them how stupid they are? 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

I fully admit my love for Deontay is somewhat irrational but I will disagree with the whole "everyone loves a preseason warrior" angle. The problem with Burnett as described above is he doesn't have the speed to play specials. The difference between him and say Preseason HOF Clowney is that Burnett got limited chances in live games but when he did he actually came through. When he was forced into action he had 10 receptions on 15 targets for 143 yards. 14 yards per reception ain't bad for a slow receiver.  The kid produced, he just wasn't given the chance to do so for more than 2 games that season. 

I'm not even sure how fast/slow he is.  Burnett ran at USC's 2nd pro day and ran 4.7, but claimed to be 80% with the hamstring that kept him out of the combine/1st pro day. He is certainly faster than that, but who knows how much.  Ronald Jones had similar issues, pulling up at the combine, and ran 4.48 at the 2nd pro day.  Burnett is small and just doesn't play specials.  His size/strength may limit him to slot.  That means he probably wouldn't be much help now anyway.   I think the Eagles really like him, but he has to move up the depth chart because of that while guys like Berrios, Dortch and Bellamy take the lower slots based on their other talents.  FWIW, he played a decent percentage of snaps in the Eagles playoff loss to Seattle and even caught a pass from Uncle Josh.