KRL Camp Notes (BUF Game)

KRL

Becton really was the big positive of the game. To hold his own in a desperately tough situation is very impressive. The tests will keep coming for him fast but really encouraging that he doesn't look out of his depth. He was considered a boom/bust prospect.

I wasn't impressed with Q at all. Still think he's useless on passing downs and doesn't get the sort of immediate push you'd want from such a highly drafted tackle. Far too often goes missing. To this point he's a considerable downgrade from Leonard Williams, who had a lot of the same issues but to nothing like this extent.

Griffin only played something like 17 snaps. Bizarre.

While it's easy to say that we easily could have made it 21-17 the reality is Buffalo easily could have made it 35-0. They completely gifted us ways back into the game but we're just that bad that we couldn't take them. The difference between the teams was astounding - probably the most dominant 10 point win you'll ever see.

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Do college QB's have to be scouted, again?

If we're actually as bad as we seem then no. There's only one we're drafting.

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Becton really was the big positive of the game. To hold his own in a desperately tough situation is very impressive. The tests will keep coming for him fast but really encouraging that he doesn't look out of his depth. He was considered a boom/bust prospect.

I wasn't impressed with Q at all. Still think he's useless on passing downs and doesn't get the sort of immediate push you'd want from such a highly drafted tackle. Far too often goes missing. To this point he's a considerable downgrade from Leonard Williams, who had a lot of the same issues but to nothing like this extent.

Griffin only played something like 17 snaps. Bizarre.

While it's easy to say that we easily could have made it 21-17 the reality is Buffalo easily could have made it 35-0. They completely gifted us ways back into the game but we're just that bad that we couldn't take them. The difference between the teams was astounding - probably the most dominant 10 point win you'll ever see.

If we're actually as bad as we seem then no. There's only one we're drafting.

As bizarre as that was (to me) even more so was when I went back and looked at the first half, the amount of times Herndon was left in to help block. I didn't look at the 2nd half yet, but on a team devoid of pass catching threats, leaving Herndon in to block was crazy to me. Where was Wesco and why wasn't he used for that?

• Upvote 1

Good write up KRL. Coming into the season, I wanted to give Gase a blank slate. I did not want to use last year to judge him this year. However, going off week 1’s performance, he truly has not learned a thing. 

We seem so ******* handicapped and incompetent on offense and he’s supposedly an offensive guru. I’m done with him and he deserves to be fired after this season. 

33 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

As bizarre as that was (to me) even more so was when I went back and looked at the first half, the amount of times Herndon was left in to help block. I didn't look at the 2nd half yet, but on a team devoid of pass catching threats, leaving Herndon in to block was crazy to me. Where was Wesco and why wasn't he used for that?

If Bell is going to lineup on the outside more then someone has to help protect Sam. 

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Offensively I have never seen a coach refuse to acknowledge Football
101 like Adam Gase.  You run the ball to establish the pass!!!  With
no pre-season a smart coach would use the early games to allow his OLine
to develop chemistry and get physical by running the ball.  You know like
Andy Reid and KC did in their opener, THEY RAN THE BALL MORE THAN THEY 
PASSED IT (34 to 32)

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

- How could Ryan Griffin (one of the few receivers Darnold has chemistry
with) NOT GET A TARGET???

These 2 things are puzzling and very damning for Adam Gase.  You went out bought/drafted basically an entire new OL and you come out passing, 6 of the first 9 plays were passing plays.   You signed Ryan Griffin to a multiple year contract and he's in for 18 snaps.

wtf

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I have never seen a coach refuse to acknowledge Football

The Bills were stacking 8 in the box and they were still getting 5 yards with Bell early 

when they needed 3rd and 1 or the Josh Adams TD they ran behind the left side - to have this short yardage in the bag is an improvement from last season (and maybe the last 10 seasons) 

ask me, the running game was the only decent part of the offense 

Darnold looked atrocious. I'm a Gase hater but there's no way to run your way out of that

If we want to bash Gase he might have run too many times, down 21-0 they are trying to run the ball 

by the way Ryan Griffin had a major injury last year and is probably not 100% - these are humans not robots 

@KRL I agree with most of your summary and as always you're a good read.

What I saw on the field Sunday was so atrocious I actually curled up after the first quarter in the fetal position and went to sleep for about an hour. I was that let down and depressed.

I agree with the standout players you named from our team by saw the same thing except I would also include Luvu I thought he had a good game.

I saw instantly that we were playing like a Keystone Cops again and I honestly will not blame the coaches on this one. I saw Greg Williams throw his hands up in the air like WTF? And I saw Adam Gase demeanor at the press conference afterward.

The Bills definitely tried to give the game away in the first quarter and our defense looked like they were playing f****** flag football! How did you not know Allen was going to roll out to his left and run in the endzone? I saw that coming a mile away. I actually saw them get their hands on Allen about 15 times but nobody actually made a tackle!!

Speaking of Josh Allen he runs like John Elway and throws like Christian Hackenberg. The effort from our front seven was putrid. Was that Henry Anderson tripping over his own feet like a parody from The Longest Yard while their quarterback was rolling on a naked bootleg? You got to be f****** kidding me, it was pathetic.

On offense, and I know everybody's calling for the coaches heads and our quarterback stinks,  but that's really not the case. For more than a few years now due to the CBA I have seen offensive lines and offensive game plans in general, completely out of sync at the beginning of the season.

It doesn't help that we have four new starters on the offensive line and had no preseason and we were literally bringing in wide receivers from the Greyhound bus stop. Darnold doesn't even know these guys names and jersey numbers, and oh man did it show!

Darnold absolutely had Happy Feet and his adrenaline flowing, and was just trying to make something happen. The o-line looked like they were in a bar fight, and footballs were bouncing off the wide receivers Chin's, helmets, shoulder pads and numbers. There were A LOT of dropped balls.

Hopefully Darnold's drop soon.

I also would like to speak on chemistry not that I'm a chemist LOL, but the feel for the players around you. I have only been a youth football coach, but I did play in original rock bands for 3/4 of my life. It takes a while to get to that second stage where you have that knowledge and trust of who's going to do what, when and where. It's almost like you can go on autopilot and certain things are second nature. The Jets offense does not have that yet.

Now on to Adam Gase.  I actually like this guy. I like his demeanor, and he is not without his flaws just like anybody else. I feel he is a bit of a Brainiac, and at times may not understand that people are not as smart as he is? I know that when I would write a song and the lyrics were about my personal life, I could hear everything in my head, the orchestration, the drums, the horn solo, harmonies, but it wasn't always easy to convey to every other player. But I will say that Belichick and Pete Carroll also sucked it up their first few years.

So for everybody calling for this Gase' head you need to lighten up and give him a freaking chance, can you honestly say he's had it easy here? It's been nothing but an uphill battle full of injuries, mono, pandemics Etc. And the only thing Jet fans can talk about this is crazy eyeballs.

Lastly I would like to say that the black hole of the New York Jets, sucking the energy and life out of everything, is Le'Veon Bell. Just his presence here between his contract, his relationship with the head coach, his playing style, he has the offense in a stranglehold. I almost feel like Gase has to play this guy and doesn't want to. It's obvious when he's getting the ball, and teams immediately zero in and stuff him. I feel he's holding Sam Darnolds growth back by being on the team. Perine is the runner we need out there. 

For what it's worth, a few press conferences ago Gase said straight up that it's going to take a while before they can realize and execute the offense the way they had planned due to the injuries to Mims, Perriman, V.Smith and Perine.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If Bell is going to lineup on the outside more then someone has to help protect Sam. 

True, but I'd rather them use Wesco as a blocker. I understand that may tip their hand a bit but I'd rather see 12 personnel with Herndon and Wesco if they go empty moving Bell out wide (a moot point for the next few weeks)

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

@KRL I agree with most of your summary and as always you're a good read.

What I saw on the field Sunday was so atrocious I actually curled up after the first quarter in the fetal position and went to sleep for about an hour. I was that let down and depressed.

I agree with the standout players you named from our team by saw the same thing except I would also include Luvu I thought he had a good game.

I saw instantly that we were playing like a Keystone Cops again and I honestly will not blame the coaches on this one. I saw Greg Williams throw his hands up in the air like WTF? And I saw Adam Gase demeanor at the press conference afterward.

The Bills definitely tried to give the game away in the first quarter and our defense looked like they were playing f****** flag football! How did you not know Allen was going to roll out to his left and run in the endzone? I saw that coming a mile away. I actually saw them get their hands on Allen about 15 times but nobody actually made a tackle!!

Speaking of Josh Allen he runs like John Elway and throws like Christian Hackenberg. The effort from our front seven was putrid. Was that Henry Anderson tripping over his own feet like a parody from The Longest Yard while their quarterback was rolling on a naked bootleg? You got to be f****** kidding me, it was pathetic.

On offense, and I know everybody's calling for the coaches heads and our quarterback stinks,  but that's really not the case. For more than a few years now due to the CBA I have seen offensive lines and offensive game plans in general, completely out of sync at the beginning of the season.

It doesn't help that we have four new starters on the offensive line and had no preseason and we were literally bringing in wide receivers from the Greyhound bus stop. Darnold doesn't even know these guys names and jersey numbers, and oh man did it show!

Darnold absolutely had Happy Feet and his adrenaline flowing, and was just trying to make something happen. The o-line looked like they were in a bar fight, and footballs were bouncing off the wide receivers Chin's, helmets, shoulder pads and numbers. There were A LOT of dropped balls.

Hopefully Darnold's drop soon.

I also would like to speak on chemistry not that I'm a chemist LOL, but the feel for the players around you. I have only been a youth football coach, but I did play in original rock bands for 3/4 of my life. It takes a while to get to that second stage where you have that knowledge and trust of who's going to do what, when and where. It's almost like you can go on autopilot and certain things are second nature. The Jets offense does not have that yet.

Now on to Adam Gase.  I actually like this guy. I like his demeanor, and he is not without his flaws just like anybody else. I feel he is a bit of a Brainiac, and at times may not understand that people are not as smart as he is? I know that when I would write a song and the lyrics were about my personal life, I could hear everything in my head, the orchestration, the drums, the horn solo, harmonies, but it wasn't always easy to convey to every other player. But I will say that Belichick and Pete Carroll also sucked it up their first few years.

So for everybody calling for this Gase' head you need to lighten up and give him a freaking chance, can you honestly say he's had it easy here? It's been nothing but an uphill battle full of injuries, mono, pandemics Etc. And the only thing Jet fans can talk about this is crazy eyeballs.

Lastly I would like to say that the black hole of the New York Jets, sucking the energy and life out of everything, is Le'Veon Bell. Just his presence here between his contract, his relationship with the head coach, his playing style, he has the offense in a stranglehold. I almost feel like Gase has to play this guy and doesn't want to. It's obvious when he's getting the ball, and teams immediately zero in and stuff him. I feel he's holding Sam Darnolds growth back by being on the team. Perine is the runner we need out there. 

For what it's worth, a few press conferences ago Gase said straight up that it's going to take a while before they can realize and execute the offense the way they had planned due to the injuries to Mims, Perriman, V.Smith and Perine.

Good post, agree with your thoughts on Bell. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- The game stunk

- It took 3 hours out of my life that I'll never get back

- They were in full pads, even though few players used them

Ok, now lets get serious

- Its shocking to consider but with all the mistakes BUF made
(2 missed FG, 2 redzone fumbles) if the Jets actually showed
up they could've stolen the game

Coach Notes

- Brant Boyer needs to tighten up the tackling on the coverage
units.  Braden Mann got excellent distance on his punts but too
much whiffing by the "gunners" allowed BUF too many return yards

- Gregg Williams needs to get Pierre Desir back to his 2018 level
or find someone else to start opposite Bless Austin.  And as usual
is there any potential edge rusher anywhere on the roster?  Jabari
Zuniga, Bryce Huff ANYONE???  Because there were multiple times Allen
stood in the pocket, couldn't find anyone and still wasn't brought
down.  Decent edge pressure and they would've had at least 6+ sacks

- Offensively I have never seen a coach refuse to acknowledge Football
no pre-season a smart coach would use the early games to allow his OLine
to develop chemistry and get physical by running the ball.  You know like
Andy Reid and KC did in their opener, THEY RAN THE BALL MORE THAN THEY 
PASSED IT (34 to 32)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401220225

If you establish the run you make the offense "two handed" and play action
becomes easy, DUH!!!  And when Mekhi Becton is 6-7 and 360 pounds why wouldn't
you allow him to get physical by running behind him???  I'm waiting 

- Every phase has to tighten up because 9 penalties for 95 yards is 
ridiculous

Defense Notes

- It still isn't up to the standards of a #3 pick but Quinnen Williams had
a decent game (3 Tackles, .5 TFL, 1 QB Hit).  His best trait didn't show up
in the stat sheet.  Credit to Williams for multiple penetrations which blew
up BUF running game and flushed Allen out of the pocket.  Now let's see
those penetrations turn into sacks and TFLs

- The lack of edge pressure is frustrating as usual but there are some very
promising pieces in the secondary.  Marcus Maye, Austin and Brian Poole
all showed up big time.  Add in Ashtyn Davis (why didn't he play?) and Bryce
Hall and the Jets may actually be looking at a deep well rounded secondary

- With Blake Cashman going out (shocker) Harvey Langi stepped in and did
a solid job (6 Tackles, 1 Pass Defensed).  Particularly impressive was his
coverage on BUF RB(?) where he broke up a sure TD.  Will he remain a starter
or will Avery Williamson or Alec Ogletree replace him?

Offense Notes

- I took apart Sam Darnold on Sunday so I won't go there again.  He was
inaccurate, made bad decisions and rushed throws.  The clock is now ticking.
But props to Brian Baldinger for the film breakdown and @SR24 for starting
the thread on the stupid sack Darnold took by running out of bounds:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/154031-alarming-breakdown-from-baldinger/

Amazing to think if Darnold just took a shot and threw that pass to Jamison
Crowder it would've been 21-17 going into the 4th quarter

- Considering they had no live reps and a HC who refused to run the ball the
new OLine held up reasonably well.  Greg Van Roten had a couple of times where
he was pushed back in both phases.  But their communication on BUF blitzes
was decent and Darnold's ability to move out of the pocket limited the sacks.
Other than that Alex Lewis, Connor McGovern and George Fant stayed under the
radar, which is what you want from an OLine

- Becton was good and his worst play would've never happened if Darnold threw
the above TD I talked about because it was on the same drive.  On Chris Herndon's
fumble Becton was responsible for getting out in front and blocking Poyer(?).
He missed the block and Herndon got blown up putting the ball on the ground.
Impressive footwork, hand placement, movement skills and power from Becton

- The only plays that consistently worked offensively were the "wheel routes"
to LeVeon Bell.  On probably Darnold's best throw of the game he had a 30+
yarder down the left sideline.  And Bell would've had a layup 20+ yard TD
if the BUF defender (Klein?) didn't pull him down and hurt his hamstring

Standouts

- Braden Mann
- Marcus Maye
- Bless Austin
- Brian Poole
- Mekhi Becton
- Jamison Crowder

Concerns

- What is Sam Darnold?
- Do college QB's have to be scouted, again?
- Will Adam Gase ever establish the run?

I understand the run game analysis, but the running game for the most part saw little to no movement.  We'll see in coming weeks where Bell wont be in the lineup as much, I have a feeling we'll have more success with a guy that is a one cut and go like like adams and gore rather than the multiple cuts of Bell. That should help.  If you want ot be critical of running on second down instead of first like they did I agree. 

Sam was terrible when you watch it back.  Wildly inaccurate early.  I think the plan early on was fine, bills will play a lot of man so lets get guys crossing the field and hit them, which honestly we had many guys open.  The crossing route Sam missed Perrimen on would have gone for a big gain, look at it from the end zone view overhead and you see he had about 2 steps of separation on the defender.  Sam nails him in stride and he's going a long ways. I always hear the argument about targets, but thats not always on Gase, you can draw up 100 plays for a guy, if they QB doesn't go there then what can you do?  Point is i think its a silly argument to make since we have no idea what the plan going in was or how many plays were called for a player or not (most plays not being called to hit specific players). What I would be interested in seeing was 1. the overall health of griffin who in camp admitted to not being 100%, and 2. the usage numbers of griffen on the field during pass plays.  That would be a more indicative stat line towards use