Alarming Breakdown from Baldinger

SR24

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Peep this thread if you want. It shows how decimated his confidence and mojo is compared to his rookie year.

We complained about the Bates offense, and how we were starting guys like Elijah McGuire, and Andre Roberts. However Darnold was actually comfortable and looked like he would be something amazing. Gase has tried to choke him into being a QB he just isn't, and he refuses to change that one bit. His great natural feel and instinct is being killed before our eyes.

Yep I've been saying it all day Darnold is mentally not there right now and it's getting worse

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Peep this thread if you want. It shows how decimated his confidence and mojo is compared to his rookie year.

We complained about the Bates offense, and how we were starting guys like Elijah McGuire, and Andre Roberts. However Darnold was actually comfortable and looked like he would be something amazing. Gase has tried to choke him into being a QB he just isn't, and he refuses to change that one bit. His great natural feel and instinct is being killed before our eyes.

Unfortunately, you may be right.  He may have been ruined by bad coaching, weak OL play and a poor supporting cast.  But if things don't get better over the next 15 games, then it may be time for both Sam and the Jets to hit the reset button.  Sam may need to resurrect his career somewhere else, and we may need new leadership and a new QB next year.

Like i said, we got 15 more weeks, hopefully it gets better, because it was awfully tough to find reasons for optimism after yesterdat.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

Unfortunately, you may be right.  He may have been ruined by bad coaching, weak OL play and a poor supporting cast.  But if things don't get better over the next 15 games, then it may be time for both Sam and the Jets to hit the reset button.  Sam may need to resurrect his career somewhere else, and we may need new leadership and a new QB next year.

Like i said, we got 15 more weeks, hopefully it gets better, because it was awfully tough to find reasons for optimism after yesterdat.

I commented on that video in the other thread, and mentioned he may be getting gun shy and is more worried about making mistakes than he is making plays.   That’s not a good trend for Sam.  I’d have no issues if he threw an interception trying to fit a ball into a tight window and allowing his WR to make a play, at least he’s fighting.   Some of those mistakes yesterday are the complete opposite of being aggressive.   Maybe Gase needs to break out the red, yellow and green colored wristbands for Sam like Rex had for Sanchez...Lol. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Grandy said:

We complained about the Bates offense, and how we were starting guys like Elijah McGuire, and Andre Roberts. However Darnold was actually comfortable and looked like he would be something amazing. Gase has tried to choke him into being a QB he just isn't, and he refuses to change that one bit. His great natural feel and instinct is being killed before our eyes. All of what he does best is completely neutered by a guy who wants him to play like a pocket passer.

The stubbornness of Gase is profound. He's never had offensive success outside of the greatest passer of all time, but insists on forcing his static offense down the throat of so many guys with little to no adaptation to their talents.

Very well said.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Crowder was open and Darnold could have made the throw, but this guy keeps saying it is a scramble drill.  By definition that is a cluster **** and it sure as sh*t doesn't support OC over QB.

It appears as though he was looking right at it.  Crowder even put his hand up to signal for the ball.

The "supposed" reason he never runs for a 1st down is that he keeps his eyes downfield.  Darnold moved horizontally to do just that. 

Baldinger has been very positive towards Darnold.  He was essentially saying that this was utterly inexcusable.  "They practice that."

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I commented on that video in the other thread, and mentioned he may be getting gun shy and is more worried about making mistakes than he is making plays.   That’s not a good trend for Sam.  I’d have no issues if he threw an interception trying to fit a ball into a tight window and allowing his WR to make a play, at least he’s fighting.   Some of those mistakes yesterday are the complete opposite of being aggressive.   Maybe Gase needs to break out the red, yellow and green colored wristbands for Sam like Rex had for Sanchez...Lol. 

Unfortunately, I think a real OC/HC needs to break out the red, yellow green colored wristbands for Gase. 

• Upvote 1

oh my god a receiver was open?  no telling what the actual play was called but the simple fact that there was a play to be made and it wasn't executed means you can't lay the game all on gase.  there were guys open on that play even before crowder broke downfield and darnold got sacked.  herndon (i think) was also open for a good gain over the middle.

again, the issue is oline play.  the oline needs to play together better.  they need to run block better.  they need to pass block better.

Damn Becton looks legit!

Don't overreact to week 1.

It was basically what you'd expect from preseason game 1 with a new oline, new WRs who were injured and didn't practice, and a new secondary.

Relax.  For now.

I'll worry and support firing Gase if they look this bad in October.

Teams with plenty of changes are at a massive disadvantage this September. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

This playing scared thing is bullsh*t.

Did he play scared against the Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins, Giants, and Ravens last year? 

He chucked a pick into the middle of the field rolling to his left... that isn't playing scared, stupid yes, but scared?

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Playing scared Brian. Playing scared. He's lost all his confidence. 

Yes he lost his confidence in 1 game. I can show you 5 different "scramble" drills form the Ravens game last year... He played like crap, end of story. 

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

Did he play scared against the Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins, Giants, and Ravens last year? 

He chucked a pick into the middle of the field rolling to his left... that isn't playing scared, stupid yes, but scared?

Call it whatever you want.  He had 3 options there and chose the worst one.  Playing scared or playing stupid....what does it matter?  He's not good at being a QB.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

So strange, that exact play is where he has excelled in the past few seasons...now he's trigger shy?  ugh.

I know we want the kid to be perfect but he's just human. The fact that you are as shocked as I am to see Darnold miss a play like that says a lot. Because hes proven over two years that he makes those plays... all the time. The guy had a bad game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

He showed up reckless, but with a lot of confidence. His first NFL pass was a pick 6 and then came back from it to bitch slap Detroit that first game. Now, he looks like he's just waiting to get off the field and go home. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm not trying to be funny or a dick at all here - but I genuinely believe Darnold is kind of a dumb guy. Like you hear him talk, and the way he kind of short circuits under pressure and my take is that he just doesn't have a brain that works ultra fast. I think what Bates did was dumb everything down for him w/ one read RPOs, screens, roll outs that take away half the field, etc. 

We were all mad at the time b/c we wanted to see more downfield throws and aggression but I think he was just trying to make things simple. 

Then Adam Jerkoff comes in and throws what several people have said is one of the most complex offensives in the NFL at him. Darnold can't process everything and it makes everything he does harder. It would explain a lot of his perceived regression and also explains why he misses stuff like this b/c he is so rattled. 

I'm not trying to take blame away from Darnold. In fact calling him a dumb guy is shifting a ton of blame on him and the reality is if he is too dumb to run an NFL offense in his 2nd year he was probably never going to be the guy... but it also speaks to a common criticism of Gase which is that he has no capability of tailoring his system to the players he has.