Darnold sucked today but....

Just now, T0mShane said:

Is anyone else like heartbroken that Sam is confirmed to be just...bad? Like, even with all the excuses and the talent, etc, Sam is just a weak-minded mush that we wasted three years and a bunch of high picks on? Yesterday was the first time I watched him play and realized that he’s simply hopeless because his problems are internal and there’s no coming back from a lot of that. 

Its funny yesterday did it for me as well. Its almost like when we got the ball on offense I had no hope whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This should help...I have NO idea how he missed him. Scrambled and then still proceeds to wait till the worst time to throw  

Thansk for posting.  What makes this play even worse is Berrios.  Go to about 9 seonds into the vid.  Berrios is at the 2 yard line, nobody close to him,  We had two receivers wide open on the play and Sam did not see either, or for some reason did not pull the trigger.  And there are head scratching plays like this every game.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is anyone else like heartbroken that Sam is confirmed to be just...bad? Like, even with all the excuses and the talent, etc, Sam is just a weak-minded mush that we wasted three years and a bunch of high picks on? Yesterday was the first time I watched him play and realized that he’s simply hopeless because his problems are internal and there’s no coming back from a lot of that. 

I would be sad if we didn't have the inside track to Lawrence or Fields. Maybe if we screw that up

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yup.  I came to this realization after the Broncos game, a couple of weeks ahead of you.  I really had high hopes for him coming into the season, but he is completely broken right now.  He is a project, needs to be broken down and rebuilt.  At 23 years old, that can still happen, but I don't see it happening here.  Go to a place like Pitt.  Sit for a season or two behind Ben while they coaching staff breaks him of bad habit and in 2 to 3 years, I still think he can be good.  But I don't see it happening here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sanchez hurt...Sam is a knife twister.  Younger me would be legitimately depressed and angry. Older me is just...f*cking sad, man.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I came to this realization after the Broncos game, a couple of weeks ahead of you.  I really had high hopes for him coming into the season, but he is completely broken right now.  He is a project, needs to be broken down and rebuilt.  At 23 years old, that can still happen, but I don't see it happening here.  Go to a place like Pitt.  Sit for a season or two behind Ben while they coaching staff breaks him of bad habit and in 2 to 3 years, I still think he can be good.  But I don't see it happening here.

i was never convinced, so, no heartbreak here. Even though i didnt know wtf Sanchez was, i was like " well, they went for a QB, so thats not a bad thing." Same here...   i WAS TAKEN ABACK at how much they gave up for him and openly said why not just sit pat at #6 and choose LJ? 

i know there was some doubts about LJ but i was like, kid is electric...  anyway...    wasnt like i was fukl out STUMPING for LJ. Just thought it was a reasonable pick, if done. 

So...  they paid an inexpereienced kid who got megaoverhyped cos of ONE GAME. 

I dont think he is fixable. 

He's a game manager at best. Brad Johhson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

i was never convinced, so, no heartbreak here. Even though i didnt know wtf Sanchez was, i was like " well, they went for a QB, so thats not a bad thing." Same here...   i WAS TAKEN ABACK at how much they gave up for him and openly said why not just sit pat at #6 and choose LJ? 

i know there was some doubts about LJ but i was like, kid is electric...  anyway...    wasnt like i was fukl out STUMPING for LJ. Just thought it was a reasonable pick, if done. 

So...  they paid an inexpereienced kid who got megaoverhyped cos of ONE GAME. 

I dont think he is fixable. 

He's a game manager at best. Brad Johhson.

Worse. Macc traded that haul for whoever fell to us. Rosen was the most likely outcome. 

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Worse. Macc traded that haul for whoever fell to us. Rosen was the most likely outcome. 

true.

it was true all 3 yrs...   there are a handful of plays that he HAS TO MAKE or else he sucks...  THOSE are the differences between being bad and beeing solid. THOSE 5-8 plays a game. and he keeps not making them.

18 hours ago, ljr said:

unfortunately this is the truth

He's regressed ... he is questioning his decisions and is not able to just react

kid has all of the physical talent and skill to be a top 10 qb

his brain has been beaten down into a confused mess by this team having handled him terribly

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

go see his bowl game vs Ohio State...

who tf "beat him down at USC"? 

"

In easily his biggest test of the season, Darnold matched up against Ohio State’s talent-rich defense in the Cotton Bowl. With his elongated release – reminiscent of one Byron Leftwich – and onslaught of bad throws, he looked outclassed, anxious and downright shook, finishing the game with two lost fumbles and an inexcusable pick-six during the Trojans’ 24-7 defeat.

Additionally, Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion percentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads or throwing the ball away.

LOL ... what are you disputing brother ?

10 minutes ago, ljr said:
18 hours ago, ljr said:

unfortunately this is the truth

He's regressed ... he is questioning his decisions and is not able to just react

kid has all of the physical talent and skill to be a top 10 qb

his brain has been beaten down into a confused mess by this team having handled him terribly

LOL ... what are you disputing brother ?

to me, he has never really risen above what he was in that bowl game vs Ohio state....  all the same traits exists NOW.

so, NO PROGRESS. regression means going backward. he has never moved forward. his brain works the same way it did vs Ohio state.

poorly. it wasnt beaten down, it was always just kinda sh*tty, like a bad student.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'm really bummed about Sam not being good. I really liked him in college and was sure he was going to be good. He was easily my favorite QB in that draft class and I was ecstatic when we drafted him. Huge bummer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This should help...I have NO idea how he missed him. Scrambled and then still proceeds to wait till the worst time to throw  

@Mogglez I think you posted this video in another post as a follow-up to our convo yesterday.  I appreciate you sending it.  You are definitely correct.  Sam screwed that one up.  He delayed and delayed and finally threw the ball when it was already too late.  A very fair criticism there.

image.png

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

to me, he has never really risen above what he was in that bowl game vs Ohio state....  all the same traits exists NOW.

so, NO PROGRESS. regression means going backward. he has never moved forward. his brain works the same way it did vs Ohio state.

poorly. it wasnt beaten down, it was always just kinda sh*tty, like a bad student.

---

memory isn't good enough for me to recall details from back then ... but his college numbers as a whole were pretty damn impressive.

even in that game the final stat line is decent

26 45 57.8 356 0 1 119.8

---

College

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career USC         549 846 64.9 7229 8.5 8.7 57 22 153.7
*2015 USC Pac-12 FR QB                    
*2016 USC Pac-12 FR QB 13 246 366 67.2 3086 8.4 9.0 31 9 161.1
*2017 USC Pac-12 SO QB 14 303 480 63.1 4143 8.6 8.5 26 13 148.1

I recall my big concern was over him having fumbled the ball a bit

I do also recall there being some head scratchers here and there ... but that was the exception and the rest was pretty impressive

---

then moving to his pro numbers

Pro

Passing

2018, 2019, 2020, Career

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK FUM RTG
13 239 414 57.7 2,865 6.9 17 15 76 30 1 77.6
13 273 441 61.9 3,024 6.9 19 13 92 33 6 84.3
5 94 161 58.4 912 5.7 3 6 69 18 1 65.0
31 606 1016 59.6 6,801 6.7 39 34 92 81 8 78.5

---

---

2019 felt like a small improvement from 2018

It's a pretty large hill you'll have to climb to hard to get me to buy 2020 isn't worse than 2019

---

guess i'm splitting hairs with you though

fact is, we both can agree his current performance isn't pretty

14 hours ago, ljr said:

---

memory isn't good enough for me to recall details from back then ... but his college numbers as a whole were pretty damn impressive.

even in that game the final stat line is decent

26 45 57.8 356 0 1 119.8

---

College

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career USC         549 846 64.9 7229 8.5 8.7 57 22 153.7
*2015 USC Pac-12 FR QB                    
*2016 USC Pac-12 FR QB 13 246 366 67.2 3086 8.4 9.0 31 9 161.1
*2017 USC Pac-12 SO QB 14 303 480 63.1 4143 8.6 8.5 26 13 148.1

I recall my big concern was over him having fumbled the ball a bit

I do also recall there being some head scratchers here and there ... but that was the exception and the rest was pretty impressive

---

then moving to his pro numbers

Pro

Passing

2018, 2019, 2020, Career

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK FUM RTG
13 239 414 57.7 2,865 6.9 17 15 76 30 1 77.6
13 273 441 61.9 3,024 6.9 19 13 92 33 6 84.3
5 94 161 58.4 912 5.7 3 6 69 18 1 65.0
31 606 1016 59.6 6,801 6.7 39 34 92 81 8 78.5

---

---

2019 felt like a small improvement from 2018

It's a pretty large hill you'll have to climb to hard to get me to buy 2020 isn't worse than 2019

---

guess i'm splitting hairs with you though

fact is, we both can agree his current performance isn't pretty

teh only thngleftistosee ifhe EVER plays well anywhere

• Upvote 1