I'm sick of people saying that the Jets "have to trade Darnold", or we must pay Maye or let him go, because he is criticizing the team!

Alka

The Jets don't have to trade Darnold, and they don't have to react to Maye or his agent.  Just franchise him and make Darnold suck it up!

In my humble opinion, the Jets and Joe Douglas must focus on what is best for the team, not worry about what players are thinking, or react to fears.

Joe Douglas will do what he thinks is best for the Jets, regardless of what anyone thinks, and he is not going to worry about his job, which is a reason that he negotiated for a 6 year deal.

Darnold is not a broken player, just a player that got the short end of the stick in his last 2 years.  If he can't handle the pressure, then he has no business being a QB in the NFL.  If Maye doesn't like being franchised, then either sit out the year, or negotiate the best deal that you can.

Because if Joe Douglas reacts to the nonsense that fans on this board are saying that he needs to move Darnold because he could lose his job, then Joe Douglas is not the right person for the job as GM of the Jets.  

The reason that JD moved Jamal Adams was not just because he trashed the Jets, it is because Joe saw the opportunity to get a great deal by trading Adams, and he did was was in the best interest of the team.

I have more faith in Joe Douglas than many people on this board.  I think that Joe is the real deal, and am not swayed by people saying that he must move Darnold, or he should pay Maye 12 or 13 Million per year.  Nonsense!!  Joe got balls of steel, and that is why he is the right man for the job.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, ljr said:

You had me until you said Darnold isnt broken

... unless we’re blown away I’d like to see him battle the qb picked at 2 in camp

The $h*tshow we’ve done to Darnold up until now has damaged him though

... hope he can overcome that in a training camp battle

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not against Darnold battling it out in training camp.  I think that if given the right situation, Darnold will recover from last year and show the mettle that I believe is part of who he is.

One play comes to mind when I think about Sam Darnold.  The Jets were on their own 5 yard line or so on 3rd down, and Darnold took off and ran up the middle of the field for a first down.  Given the opporunity of avoiding the linebacker for the 1st down, he instead lowered his head and beat down the linebacker in a head on head collision, where Darnold was tough and made a statement.

That is the Sam Darnold that I believe the Jets have.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alka said:

I'm not against Darnold battling it out in training camp.  I think that if given the right situation, Darnold will recover from last year and show the mettle that I believe is part of who he is.

One play comes to mind when I think about Sam Darnold.  The Jets were on their own 5 yard line or so on 3rd down, and Darnold took off and ran up the middle of the field for a first down.  Given the opporunity of avoiding the linebacker for the 1st down, he instead lowered his head and beat down the linebacker in a head on head collision, where Darnold was tough and made a statement.

That is the Sam Darnold that I believe the Jets have.  

If only the good:bad plays weren't a 1:100 ratio

• Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So when the inevitable happens and he moves Darnold...will you still have faith in JD?

Of course I will!  I'm not saying that he will absolutely will not move Darnold, I am saying that Joe Douglas will do whatever is in the best interest of the Jets, regardless of what other people are saying.

if Joe speaks with his coaches and braintrust in Florham Park and believes that Sam is not the way to go, I will accept that.  What I don't believe and don't accept is that Joe will move Sam because he is worried about his job, because that is complete garbage. 

If we want a GM to worry about his job, then we should have kept Maccagnan.  He was great at making the safe decisions and destroying the Jets organization in the process.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

I have more faith in Joe Douglas than many people on this board.  I think that Joe is the real deal, and am not swayed by people saying that he must move Darnold, or he should pay Maye 12 or 13 Million per year.  Nonsense!!  Joe got balls of steel, and that is why he is the right man for the job.

That faith will serve you well as a Jets fan.  I consider being a Jets fan as penance for my sins.  May Ewbank be with you Alka.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Jets don't have to trade Darnold, and they don't have to react to Maye or his agent.  Just franchise him and make Darnold suck it up!

In my humble opinion, the Jets and Joe Douglas must focus on what is best for the team, not worry about what players are thinking, or react to fears.

Joe Douglas will do what he thinks is best for the Jets, regardless of what anyone thinks, and he is not going to worry about his job, which is a reason that he negotiated for a 6 year deal.

Darnold is not a broken player, just a player that got the short end of the stick in his last 2 years.  If he can't handle the pressure, then he has no business being a QB in the NFL.  If Maye doesn't like being franchised, then either sit out the year, or negotiate the best deal that you can.

Because if Joe Douglas reacts to the nonsense that fans on this board are saying that he needs to move Darnold because he could lose his job, then Joe Douglas is not the right person for the job as GM of the Jets.  

The reason that JD moved Jamal Adams was not just because he trashed the Jets, it is because Joe saw the opportunity to get a great deal by trading Adams, and he did was was in the best interest of the team.

They don't HAVE to trade Darnold.  But they have to trade Darnold.  If they stick with Sam it's safe to say they're going for another top 10 pick.

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

They don't HAVE to trade Darnold.  But they have to trade Darnold.  If they stick with Sam it's safe to say they're going for another top 10 pick.

Douglas believes in building through the draft.  That's the plan.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Douglas believes in building through the draft.  That's the plan.  

So what's he going to do about the fact that there's a salary floor, the Jets need roughly 45 new players and he only has 9 picks?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

So what's he going to do about the fact that there's a salary floor, the Jets need roughly 45 new players and he only has 9 picks?

Don't worry the Jets are masters at overpaying a couple of stiff FA's every year. 

Just now, Biggs said:

Don't worry the Jets are masters at overpaying a couple of stiff FA's every year. 

Douglas didn't do it last year. Just gave out a bunch of cheap/short deals.

I am going to try an analogy.

You child gets their drivers' license and needs a car.  You buy her a cheap car that should last awhile if you all maintain it.  

She beats on it, the family does not maintain it, and now is very expensive to repair.   It is more expensive to keep this car than buy her a new car.  Your uncle has offered you the opportunity to buy another nice used car in mint condition.  

And for arguments sake, its either buy her a car or drive her around, so you need to buy her another car.  It would be nice to not spend the money (draft pick(s)) to buy the new car, but the money required to fix the old car is not worth it,, and you have this great opportunity to buy your uncle's car that is in mint condition. 

Maybe Darnold is that first car.   He was a draft pick, which in car terms is a nice used (cheaper) car.  It would have been nice to maintain him, but we did not.  He is now shot.   For the Jets, its cheaper to buy another used car.  It may make sense for someone who knows how to fix cars and does not know your uncle to buy the first car, and try and fix it.  

Maybe I tried too hard here.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.   He was loading up to do it this year.  

Just correcting the previous statement that claimed the Jets do it every year.  

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

You child gets their drivers' license and needs a car.  You buy her a cheap car that should last awhile if you all maintain it.  

She beats on it, the family does not maintain it, and now is very expensive to repair.   It is more expensive to keep this car than buy her a new car.  Your uncle has offered you the opportunity to buy another nice used car in mint condition.  

And for arguments sake, its either buy her a car or drive her around, so you need to buy her another car.  It would be nice to not spend the money (draft pick(s)) to buy the new car, but the money required to fix the old car is not worth it,, and you have this great opportunity to buy your uncle's car that is in mint condition. 

Maybe Darnold is that first car.   He was a draft pick, which in car terms is a nice used (cheaper) car.  It would have been nice to maintain him, but we did not.  He is now shot.   For the Jets, its cheaper to buy another used car.  It may make sense for someone who knows how to fix cars and does not know your uncle to buy the first car, and try and fix it.  

I ran out of gas reading your analogy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I have a few problems with your analogy.

First, you didn't buy her a cheap car, you bought her an expensive brand new car (Darnold).

Second, you say it is more expensive to keep this car then to buy a new car, but the new car will cost either a #2 pick in the draft, or Watson, which is paying a heck of a lot more than a nice milt used car.

Third, you say that the cost to buy her a new car is very expensive, but "is it?"  Is repairing Darnold a huge reclamation project, or does he just need a better system, better coaching and better players around him to get back to where he was in year #1?

I appreciate your analogy, but if I agreed with your analogy, I would agree that Darnold has to go.

I just don't agree with your analogy.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I have a few problems with your analogy.

First, you didn't buy her a cheap car, you bought her an expensive brand new car (Darnold).

Second, you say it is more expensive to keep this car then to buy a new car, but the new car will cost either a #2 pick in the draft, or Watson, which is paying a heck of a lot more than a nice milt used car.

Third, you say that the cost to buy her a new car is very expensive, but "is it?"  Is repairing Darnold a huge reclamation project, or does he just need a better system, better coaching and better players around him to get back to where he was in year #1?

I appreciate your analogy, but if I agreed with your analogy, I would agree that Darnold has to go.

I just don't agree with your analogy.

Fair points.  I was trying to be creative here.

The key to my point is that Uncle has a mint other car.  Getting into that is cheaper and safer than letting Uncle sell it to someone else while wondering if we blew out the engine. 

I think in today's NFL draft picks are cheap.  Picking Darnold at 6 would have been cheap.  He may have been there.  Trading 2 other draft picks made it very expensive.  Paying draft picks for Watson while committing to pay him lots of money is expensive.  

If we draft Wilson or Fields and they are halfway decent, they are really cheap at $10mm year/4 years.  We paid Fitzpatrick and McCown that per year. 

The whole darnold argument is huge. Was gase or darnold? Was it the injuries? The shortened training camp and preseason?  They all had an impact on the team’s record.  True enough that darnold frequently made the wrong pass (even if successful) but it’s also true he has had players drop many catchable balls and the lack of a run game didn’t help.  Until this team gets better just about any QBs will have problems.

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Not bad, but I'd add the following: The family didn't know enough about cars, so they had hired a mechanic to take care of their daughter's -- mainly based on a celebrity endorsement and that he talked a good game, but ignoring the fact that he previously really messed up someone else's car.  It soon became apparent that he didn't know what he was doing.  That contributed quite a bit to the car not performing very well, in addition to the family buying cheap parts for it and not maintaining it properly.  And perhaps the car wasn't as good as originally advertised, to begin with.

So, the family fired that mechanic and brought in a new one with a great reputation who thinks that, with a little bit of work and some investment from the family (most of which, quite frankly, they'll need to provide no matter what car they end up with), he might be able to have that car running like they always expected it to.  This is reinforced by the fact that there are quite a few buyers for that car who also think it's worth something.

Now, they have a tough choice between the original car, which they already have in their possession, and the uncle's car.  If they don't spend the money on the uncle's car, they may be able to use that toward making the original car better and have some left over.  Plus someone else that they know in town has an amazing car that they're saying they don't want to part with, but everyone suspects that they'll eventually have no choice but to do so.  It's the most expensive of the cars, but they know it's the best possible option for their little girl if its current owner finally gives in and accepts a reasonable deal.

At the end of the day, the family has a difficult decision, but none of the options are too bad.  Exciting times.