The Too Early Jamison Crowder and Alex Lewis Appreciation Thread

Cutting Crowder (age 28) saves $10,375,000

Cutting Lewis (age 29) saves $6,400,000

Grand total savings a whopping $16,775,000.  

We have younger better cheaper players on the roster. I don’t see anyway we keep either barring TC injuries. 

Perhaps offer them reduced salaries. Don’t think anyone would trade for them at these salaries even Crowder especially as the NFL is now flooded with WR talent. 

Feel bad about Crowder he was a pros pro and did everything right and was our best offensive player last year but Moore is the future and it starts now- enormous upside.

Lewis did ok for awhile, seems to have some emotional issues  though but appreciate his toughness. The Jets paid him well and he is set up for life so even Steven.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What was the deal with Lewis last year?  If his anger was soley put towards Gase then give him raise.

Unless we are cash strapped no reason imo to get rid of crowder right now.

They’re redundant and expensive. Don’t cut them now- contracts lock in week 1 of regular season. Bring them to TC in case someone gets hurt you can keep them OR in casket up  another teams players get hurt and they want to trade for them. But it’s bad business to keep them at the salaries even if we have the space

$16 million is a huge chunk of change (AKA 10 games of Leonard Williams lol). Carry it over to next season- it’s super star money.

And Lewis last year (Jmo) had a mental health breakdown or maybe an addiction issue

I think Lewis is likely to go but Van Roten is pretty equally easy to cut - just a little cheaper. Jets aren’t cap strapped, those two along with Clark and Feeney (who aren’t as cuttable) should all have opportunities to start and earn roster spots. Best guy should play. Rookie QB back there.

No reason to cut Crowder, he’s potentially a nice security blanket for a young QB. Maybe if some team comes looking for a trade. 

If Douglas ever wants to get into the compensatory game - which I’m sure he does - he’s going to need to let guys get to the end of their deals and sign elsewhere instead of cutting them. Two years left for Lewis and Van Roten and they can be upgraded so they’re sunk costs but one year left for a still useful Crowder - think he sticks.

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

They’re redundant and expensive. Don’t cut them now- contracts lock in week 1 of regular season. Bring them to TC in case someone gets hurt you can keep them OR in casket up  another teams players get hurt and they want to trade for them. But it’s bad business to keep them at the salaries even if we have the space

$16 million is a huge chunk of change (AKA 10 games of Leonard Williams lol). Carry it over to next season- it’s super star money.

And Lewis last year (Jmo) had a mental health breakdown or maybe an addiction issue

Well the injury aspect is what I am most thinking of.  I could care less about Lewis really  but after the Wr's we were trotting out last year after injuries I don't really want a repeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Too early. Hold the Crowder stuff until next year. He'll be on the team this year. We need him.

Alex Lewis will most likely be gone though.

Agreed. Crowder is currently our most reliable WR. If Mims and Moore develop into really good players and Davis improves we can slowly phase him out of the offense.

Not to mention we are in great cap shape so it's not like we need to do this 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Cutting Crowder (age 28) saves $10,375,000

Cutting Lewis (age 29) saves $6,400,000

Grand total savings a whopping $16,775,000.  

We have younger better cheaper players on the roster. I don’t see anyway we keep either barring TC injuries. 

Perhaps offer them reduced salaries. Don’t think anyone would trade for them at these salaries even Crowder especially as the NFL is now flooded with WR talent. 

Feel bad about Crowder he was a pros pro and did everything right and was our best offensive player last year but Moore is the future and it starts now- enormous upside.

Lewis did ok for awhile, seems to have some emotional issues  though but appreciate his toughness. The Jets paid him well and he is set up for life so even Steven.

I think Crowder will be asked to take a pay cut. 

As for Lewis, I do not believe we drafted enough offensive lineman to cut him.  We brought in two guys in Feeney and AVT.  Feeney replaced Josh Andrews.  That leaves us with Becton, AVT, McGovern, Van Roten or Feeney, Fant as the starters with Edoga, Clark and McDermott as the reserves.  If we cut Lewis, we are down to nine lineman.  Most teams keep 10 guys.  I do not see how we can cut him without harming the quality depth. 

• Upvote 2

those of us on the zoom call talked about how Crowder's time has gotta be up. I know some don't see it as necessary given that we don't have "talent to burn", but we spent the #34 pick on E Moore. Both on the field at the same time is.. unlikely.

Keelan Cole is very capable of rotating in and out with Moore/Mims and i just don't see the need for crowder to retard the growth of the two young bucks

• Upvote 3

We have a rookie qb and we want to cut the one reliable wr we have because we drafted a rookie wr? Hell we dont even know if he can play in this league so before we go sugging our own pekkers because of how great we drafted this year how about we see what the kid looks like on the field shall we?

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

He had enough of the googly eyed f*** as had we all, except SAR 1......