Game Observations (JAX)

KRL

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I’m happy with the outcome. You can over analyze any game and that’s what I’m doing. If Ws were things of beauty the Patriots would have zero rings. They took what they could get. I’m just saying  maybe the key play was the Trevor run along the sideline to the Jets 5. And then a 4 yard run to the 1. You can’t get any closer to losing a game you had in the grasp than that. But I’ll take it. 

I am not so sure they were actively trying to win.  I think they were trying to succeed on each play, but there were certainly some curious coaching decisions.  The Jags too.  Not sure why they'd go for 2 when they were up 3, but I guess that is what bad teams do.  Add that point back, they kick the point in the 4th quarter and they are down 3 on the 1 at the end of the game.  Can anybody say overtime?

On 12/27/2021 at 8:28 AM, CanadaSteve said:

If that is your thinking, then the Jets should fall down to the lower half of the 1st round, build more draft capital, and look at guys like Drake London and Treylon Burks, or look at one of the top TE.  A top TE would do as much for this offense as a top tiered WR.  This is another draft that is deep with WR.  I am sure we will take one.  It is VERY unfortunate that Mims did not work out.  Its easy to say he was a wasted pick.  However, at the time, he was a steal.  Oh well.

The curious and frustrating thing about Mims is that he looked way better last yr.   After missing the first half of the season he came in and was pretty solid.   The expectation was that he would build off of that and be even better with a full off season conditioning and training camp.   For some reason he has regressed badly and is going to have to improve quite a bit to make next yrs team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not so sure they were actively trying to win.  I think they were trying to succeed on each play, but there were certainly some curious coaching decisions.  The Jags too.  Not sure why they'd go for 2 when they were up 3, but I guess that is what bad teams do.  Add that point back, they kick the point in the 4th quarter and they are down 3 on the 1 at the end of the game.  Can anybody say overtime?

An extra point or a short FG which is close to the equivalent is not a done deal and the trend in the game is for coaches is to go for it on 4th and short sometimes even deep inside your own territory. As I recall it started a few years ago with Belichick doing it a lot I can remember one game it lead to an NEP loss and he was ripped for it. I just disagreed with Middleton doing it at that stage of the game with an offense that needed all the points they could get. I thought it would come back to bite them and it almost and probably should have. 

On 12/27/2021 at 7:10 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Always love your posts KRL.  Disagree on 2 key points.

1.  You underestimate Berrios.  

lol was waiting for this... There's bushels of Berrios out there. He got it right. 

With Moore emerging, Davis due back and maybe reupping on Cole who didn't get a chance to dazzle the FA market this year, we need one more big talent in the draft. Someone to aspire to be that X outside guy. It's not studded draft class, but we can shoot for a Drake, Tolbert or Pickens if he declares. You're not hedging your WR room on Berrios.

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, section314 said:

Watching the game yesterday, we need to use  our two first rounders on a pash rusher and a #1 receiver. Anything else would be criminal.

robert-zane-shakes-head-nope.gif

Man.... were you in a coma until this week? There is noooooooo chance we spend a 1st round pick on a WR this year. Zero. None. 0%. 

We have a desperate need at Pass Rush and our Oline is hanging on by a thread. Our secondary is suspect and WE HAVE THE WORST RUN DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE..... Moore was making OROY waves, we paid Corey and have a swatch of picks after round 1. 

We're not taking a WR early, and this is coming from the guy who beats WR meat. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn’t see any potential for a blow out but we did leave 7 points on the field and only won by 5 with Jax at the 1 yard line and could have (should have) scored. You can’t get much closer than that. We scored one Td on Zach’s 52 yard run which is not sustained offense a great play but not the norm you won’t see that again maybe ever in his career. A Td on the Berrios run. And another Td on a pass to an offensive lineman. So I’ll take it but it was almost an L we won in spite of ourselves. 

I just don't understand, why, as fan it's so hard for so many of you to accept, under the circumstances, the QB of the team you supposedly root for had a solid game.  

He led the league in QBR, no INT's, ran for a TD, threw for a TD, over 200 yards combined,  made key 1st down throws, and had an adjusted completion percentage of over 80%.

Did all of this with his 1st, 2nd, 3rd options out and the worst TE situation in the NFL.  It's okay to accept he had a good game... No one is going to hold it against you...

This T reception you mentioned above is a weak argument that tells me either you're a troll digging deep or just don't understand football.

Who cares if it's a Tackle that caught the ball...second and more importantly, it wasn't a trick play - he was the 3rd possibly 4th option.  It was essentially putting an athletic T who used to play TE in the TE position and send him out on after an initial block - because our TE's suck.  He  was open after all the other 3rd string receivers were covered - if anything you should be praising ZW for getting to his 4th read.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

robert-zane-shakes-head-nope.gif

Man.... were you in a coma until this week? There is noooooooo chance we spend a 1st round pick on a WR this year. Zero. None. 0%. 

We have a desperate need at Pass Rush and our Oline is hanging on by a thread. Our secondary is suspect and WE HAVE THE WORST RUN DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE..... Moore was making OROY waves, we paid Corey and have a swatch of picks after round 1. 

We're not taking a WR early, and this is coming from the guy who beats WR meat. 

Respectfully disagree. I can't believe you would want to watch another year of WR's who can't get open, and when they do, they can't catch the damn ball. Other than edge, I think WR#1 is the biggest need on this team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Respectfully disagree. I can't believe you would want to watch another year of WR's who can't get open, and when they do, they can't catch the damn ball. Other than edge, I think WR#1 is the biggest need on this team. 

There is no WR i would take over Linderbaum. that would be catastrophic. 

WR is a need, we're going to be working with Moore/Davis/Berrios/FAorCole next year, but not at the price ours or SEA's pick. Ain't happening. Look at the big picture. We'd have to have an Everest grade on Burks or Williams... and neither are quite THAT good IMO. Not better than Linderbaum. I don't see it in the cards.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

WR is a need, we're going to be working with Moore/Davis/Berrios/FAorCole next year, but not at the price ours or SEA's pick. Ain't happening. Look at the big picture. We'd have to have an Everest grade on Burks or Williams... and neither are quite THAT good IMO. Not better than Linderbaum. I don't see it in the cards.

I really like the ND C Patterson. What do you think of him? Would using one of our 2’s on him be too high?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I really like the ND C Patterson. What do you think of him? Would using one of our 2’s on him be too high?

i can't say i've watched him with any intent. I say all this, and as we've seen year in and year out, GMs surprise the world take a guy like Williams and make all our jaws drop. "We just had a really high grade on him..." 

That said, sometimes you can over think it. I hope we avoid chasing waterfalls. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

i can't say i've watched him with any intent. I say all this, and as we've seen year in and year out, GMs surprise the world take a guy like Williams and make all our jaws drop. "We just had a really high grade on him..." 

That said, sometimes you can over think it. I hope we avoid chasing waterfalls. 

Could there be any worse advice than for the Jets to stick to the rivers and lakes that we're used to? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

While I'm not a college expert, I tend to agree with this - but can't see JD going OL again that high.   Seems like a reasonable RG in FA and keeping what they have is fine.  

With that said, they need guys that can get separation and catch far more than they need OL.

I wonder if there's a trade down possibility.   Move down a couple of spots, pick up another 2nd and take the WR then.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I'm not a college expert, I tend to agree with this - but can't see JD going OL again that high.   Seems like a reasonable RG in FA and keeping what they have is fine.  

With that said, they need guys that can get separation and catch far more than they need OL.

I wonder if there's a trade down possibility.   Move down a couple of spots, pick up another 2nd and take the WR then.

change reasonable to overpriced and old and I can agree with you.

The Becton situation probably forces a trade down with one of the 1st picks in order to acquire at least one more player.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They went for 2 because the ball was moved to the 1 because of the penalty. I didn't like the call, nor the review of the obviously dropped interception - interim coach and all - go figure.