WHY it might make sense to TRADE DOWN Seattle pick?

The Jets HAVE TO accumulate quality starters on the OL, WR and TE this offseason.   They have no choice.  They can do that with draft picks, FAs and contract extensions.  

JD should be building for 2022 and 2023.  Fant is injured and only under contract for 2022.  Becton is a big mystery.  There is great value in taking an OL that can fill in at RG (Saving the $5mm that an LDT or someone else would cost) and then eventually moved to one of the Ts as required.  Extending Fant and/or Moses provide the Jets with flexibility.  

If the Jets had Chase Claypool and not Mims I think we would be looking at this situation much differently.  You can say the same for Wirfs over Becton.  Those screw ups are costing the Jets dearly in their roster and cap flexibility.  

Corey Davis is a valuable contributor who can be cut in 2023.  He will have a decent year in 2022 as he fights for his job, here or elsewhere.  Like Mosley did.   He is not the problem and is a fine WR2.  If Mims could back him up that would be great, but that looks like a stretch.   As we have seen, it is hard to find good FA WRs.  If JD could do that, and pay up if necessary, for an Allen Robinson, Godwin (rehab him, Gallup (ditto), etc., that provides him with great draft flexibility.  

The TE looks like Rd 2B.  Best LB available looks like 2A.   Then we look for RB, S, CB, etc. like last year.  

Yes, an EDGE would be nice, but we should not reach for one.  But I like the idea of taking Neal 1A and Karlaftis 1B.

We should not fall into the trap of thinking that Feeney and Edoga can be relied upon next year.  I think they were in a job preservation zone last weekend.  

1 minute ago, xJayce said:

If there is not a lot of value, why would teams trade up? If the value is sitting in 16 through 40, and I have pick 16, why am I trading for pick 7?

Plus it’s not like the Jets are going to be the only team looking to trade out.   Everyone is going to want to, which will lead to some poor trade values as well.   

• Upvote 1

lol, a large majority have been hoping for a high pick trade down for years and years. It doesn't happen. Since we've seen a bunch of GM's and coaches over the the johnson ownership, I'd assume woody wants the shot at the star vs gaining multiple picks. We've had so many chances to do so and it never happens. He's probably much more involved with these high picks than anyone will want to believe. After last year, I'll no longer even consider that this team will do anything of the sort.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I'd be happy with Karlaftis and Linderbaum in the first round after a trade down.  I'd also be happy with Karlaftis and an OT or WR.

Unfortunately, the issues with Fant (knee) and Becton (?) mean that JD might well take an OT in the first round, or in the 2nd at the latest b/c they also need a good swing tackle, unless Edoga looks surprisingly good this week. They really should not count on Becton for anything.

I've been saying that we should not shy away from taking a versatile OT early. Even if Fant is healthy, he is going into a contract year. Moses is a FA. McGovern is going into his contract year. LDT is a FA. And then, of course there is the whole thing with Becton and how reliable he is. 

Assuming Moses walks. The hope is that Fant comes back healthy and we extend him. Becton comes back as good as advertised and accepts his role at RT. This gives us our bookends for at least the next 2-3 years. We draft a plug and play G/T (in the mold of AVT, like Green or Ekwonu)...or maybe Linderbaum- who can play G and move over to C eventually. And depending on how he plays and what our roster moves are we decide on what to do with McGovern when the time comes. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, xJayce said:

If there is not a lot of value, why would teams trade up? If the value is sitting in 16 through 40, and I have pick 16, why am I trading for pick 7?

Because other GMs might not share that view and/or are stupid or unrealistic on a their player evaluations. It happens all of the time. 

3 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

OMG...with that draft the Jets will have taken 4 OL in the first round in 3 years!  I've been arguing recently for Linderbaum with pick 1b and been told that it is crazy to draft 3 OL in the first round in 3 years. 

:-)

I know but with 10 pics in the top 71.....WHY NOT????

20 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I know but with 10 pics in the top 71.....WHY NOT????

Not only that, but JD"s first first round OL drafted was Becton, who is a huge ? at this time.  If Becton and AVT were both studs already, then yeah, maybe stop drafting OL in the first round for awhile...but Becton is not.  The Jets have only one young stud OL right now...AVT...from the first two drafts.

And, if they do take an OL in the first again, it will be three years in a row, but they'd also have had 2 additional first rounders NOT taken in the first round in those three years. I doubt it is very common for teams to have 2 first rounders in back to back years.

IIRC, the last really good Jets OL featured 4 first round picks (two of whom the Jets signed as free agents): D'Brick, Mangold, Faneca, and Woody.  I forget who the 5th guy/RG was...

On 1/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, sec101row23 said:

Plus it’s not like the Jets are going to be the only team looking to trade out.   Everyone is going to want to, which will lead to some poor trade values as well.   

It's almost like it's the wrong year to have two top 10 picks unfortunately...

On 1/4/2022 at 11:49 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Because other GMs might not share that view and/or are stupid or unrealistic on a their player evaluations. It happens all of the time. 

Good point. We should never underestimate the stupid or desperate GMs out there... :) Someone will fall in love with Pickett and may want to jump ahead of the Giants.