Stan Blinka Personal Fouls - Anyone Know The Answer ???

THE BARON

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hated the Oakland Raiders -- result of the late 60s AFL rivalry and the way they played.  Las Vegas Raiders, meh.  Same franchise, but I just don't look at them the same way.

Along those very lines.....2017 our road trip was to Tampa. The Tampa Jets fan club put on a great spread , and had 3 guests.....Laverneous Coles, Marvin Jones and Earl Christy. Was able to spend a good amount of time with each, and they were just great dudes. LC was thrilled when I asked him to sign my jersey because it is a Chrebet jersey that he wore in games. Loves Wayne. Earl let me wear his Super Bowl ring for a picture., and Marvin couldn't have been nicer. Looked like he could still go out and lay people out. When they had to leave, I thanked Earl and said I had one more thing to ask him. "Earl, what do you do when you hear the words Oakland Raiders?" A guy who was laughing it up for an hour suddenly turned 100% serious and said...."I still do, and always will, hate those MFers." For us old timers, the Raiders are it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

It was a fun team but somehow they never put it together in the playoffs.   Those teams should have done better.

Fun fact about Starr calling Blinka a criminal.  Namath was contiinually being cheap shot by the Raiders and Ben Davidson in particular.  In SB 2 Davidson knocked Starr out of the game in the third quarter with a thumb injury.  

The Raiders back in the 60's took pride in being borderline criminals on defense.  For a long time after the merger the AFC teams always seemed a little more wide open on O and a little chippy on D.  That's all been homgenized into the league now.  

I think it was Chuck Noll who first brought up the term "Criminal Element" in the NFL after the opener against the Raiders. George Atkinson clocked Lynn Swann across the back of the head knocking him out of the game.

Those Steeler Raiders games in 70's were out and out nasty and alot of times out of control

37 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I think it was Chuck Noll who first brought up the term "Criminal Element" in the NFL after the opener against the Raiders. George Atkinson clocked Lynn Swann across the back of the head knocking him out of the game.

Those Steeler Raiders games in 70's were out and out nasty and alot of times out of control

They were also great games   Really talented teams  

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The other day, I was as reminiscing with a fellow Jets fan about an old chapter in Jets history involving linebacker Stan Blinka from the 1982 season

There were two over-the-top personal fouls that Blinka committed in two respective games from that season.

One of them was a forearm to the head of John Jefferson.  Blinka actually left his feet to deliver the blow.  The hit was so out of line that he was suspended for it.  Have a peek at this news link…

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/09/sports/blinka-banned-for-game-by-nfl.html#:~:text=Blinka is only the second,28.

And now on to the question…

There was a second serious foul that Blinka committed that came either a game before or a game after that Jeffrson foul.  I can’t remember who Blinka fouled and what exactly he did.  I think it was a clothesline to the neck.   All I remember is the TV announcer who I think was Don Crique having a conniption fit… Saying… “OH NO…. STAN BLINKA !!! NOT STAN BLINKA AGAIN !!! OH NO !!!!  STAN BLINKA !!!!" 

Does ANYONE remember what that second foul was and who Blinka fouled ???

Thanx in advance... 

i don't know.  i remember the jefferson hit.  put him out of the game and no doubt helped the jets win.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Which is why I developed a love of the Steelers in the 70s. The Jets were terrible, but the Steelers were continually kicking the Raiders' a$$ starting with the Immaculate Reception and throughout most of the decade (other than 76 when the Steelers were crippled with injuries and lost the AFC title game).  Now I don't like anything to do with the Steelers either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

What still sits in the back of my mind from that 82 season is that we should have had home field advantage.  2nd regular season game against the Phins, we are up 19-17 late, (don't remember if it was Strock or Woodley in for the DOlphins), but inside of two minutes, whoever it was throws a pass right into Bobby Jackson's arms and he drops the game clinching pick.  A few plays later Uwe Von Schamann hit the game winning FG. 

Jackson boucned back with two pick 6s the following week against the Vikings.  But had he held on to that one late against Miami, we finish 7-2, they are 6-3, and we host the AFCCG.  Instead, we had to play in the friggin Mud Bowl.

Add in an inexplicable loss the last week against a bad KC team.

That team could have been on a seven game winning streak after losing to Miami in the opener

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Add in an inexplicable loss the last week against a bad KC team.

That team could have been on a seven game winning streak after losing to Miami in the opener

But even if we won the KC game that last week, we still would have been tied with MIami at 7-2 and lost the Division (and home field advantage) due to the tie-breaker.

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

The Blinka Jefferson clothesline was the very first Jet football game I attended live. Sat  in the last row top deck at Shea behind where home plate was.  

Was with my future wife, was the end of Thanksgiving weekend and we headed back up to college after the game. Was bitter cold, my future father-in-law gave me a flask with Courvoisier. 

Remember that hit like it was yesterday. 

Jefferson does not.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, section314 said:

I'm 64, and I agree with your sentiments. Good job.

I’m 64 as well but the Jets beat the Raiders 2x in the playoffs. The AFL championship and then in the 83 division round. Losing to the Fins in the AFC championship the next game with Shula keeping the tarp off for the mud bowl and Todd throwing 5 int’s makes me hate them more. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, THE BARON said:

No twit world or instant face or whatever for me.  This is as close to any sort of social media that I will get

That's a shame because your stan blinka question repeated over a two year period in two separate threads has probably increased Stan's interwebz presence by 70% or more.

If you reconsider, you can message him on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/stan.blinka