Former Pro Bowl Kicker Trying Out For Arena Football Team

JACKSONVILLE, FL – The Jacksonville Sharks announced today that they have invited former NFL Pro Bowl Kicker Mike Hollis to the Jacksonville Sharks 2022 Training Camp. Hollis accepted the invitation and will report Thursday to work out with the team. The Sharks will hold training camp this week and into next week with the final day of camp closing on Saturday, April 16. Training camp will be open to the press, to submit a request to attend please email media@jaxsharks.com  Training camp will be closed to the public.  We will announce if we have open practices at a later date.

The Sharks have yet to sign a kicker for the 2022 season and the local veteran enters Sharks camp with over 10 years of experience playing in the NFL. Hollis primarily spent his career with the Jacksonville Jaguars from 1995-2001 but had stints with the San Diego Chargers (1994), Buffalo Bills (2002), and New York Giants (2003). 

During his seven seasons with the Jaguars, he became the NFL’s leading scorer in 1997 and competed in the 1997 Pro Bowl. With Hollis as the Jaguars kicker the team saw many successful seasons including two AFC Championship appearances in 1996 and 1999. Hollis has remained in Jacksonville as a resident where he trains the future kicking stars of tomorrow at ProForm Kicking Academy in Jacksonville, FL. 

Prior to the NFL Hollis played Division I football at Idaho University and spent two seasons at Wenatchee Valley College in Washington. Hollis is originally from Spokane, WA and graduated from Central Valley High School. 

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kind of a depressing topic.

I can’t think of many sadder things than a middle aged dude trying for a comeback with an arena team in, of all places, Jacksonville Florida.

@T0mShane

@JiFapono

He runs what seems like a successful kicking school. Probably just doing it for the fun of it. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Should be fun for him. I'm sure his practices will probably be outside in beautiful fields and afterwards he'll go to wonderful local bars with teammates where they talk about their dreams beyond the Arena League. And I know this because I watched American Underdog with Zachary Levi.

I'm usually not into spoilers, but I just have to know which he turned into: Shazam or Underdog?