RB Michael Carter Was Elated with the Jets Signing of Pro Bowl LG Laken Tomlinson

59 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Drafting AVT and Michael Carter was big last year.

Signing Laken Tomlinson and drafting Breece Hall were really big this year.

But I think the single biggest asset to the running game this year will simply be that it's Year 2 in the system.  This wide/outside ZB scheme notoriously takes a while to install and get comfortable with.  It's based on timing, footwork, having OLinemen hit moving targets at the second level like linebackers, etc.  Mike Shanahan is the real architect of this thing in my opinion.  It turned Terrell Davis (a very good but not great RB IMO) into a 2,000 yard per season stud.  We saw the Broncos rotate no-name RBs thru their system for 4-5 years and all those guys were gaining 1,000 yards a season.  It's the system and I'm really excited to see how it looks in Year 2 here.  I think the 2023 season is where it could really flourish and give the Jets a Top 10 rushing attack in the NFL.

Jets are setting themselves up to run the football. All of what you’re saying, and then they triple-down on the TE position. LaFluer is looking for his Kittle and his Juszczyk (yes, I looked up the spelling). They intend to have TEs and FBs involved in this year’s offense, whether they’re blocking or getting the ball themselves. You don’t make that kind of investment in one position if you don’t plan to feature that position in your offense. The Herbig addition was nice, too. He’s critical if the Jets see AVT as an emergency RT, as he can step in very comfortably at RG. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Zach will have more opportunity to successfully make completions if the rushing game is consistently productive and can lower the pass rush threat to some degree.

And it has that level of potential.

There is nothing wrong with helping your your QB by taking some amount of pressure off and/or being able to earn yards on the ground as well as through the air.

Unless the qb is a runner like hurts or Lamar the pass opens up the run in this league 

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A thread about how good and exciting our young rb core is turns into a "this defense stinks and so do our kickers" thread.

The disease jet fans have is just awful.  

When you came out of your 50 year Cryo Sleep, how long did it take for you to get acclimated to our technology?

Master Chief Game GIF by Halo

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's a long mental road to connect the drafting of Sauce to improvement of the run D

As we as a fan base have learned the hard way… You don’t draft run stuffing Defense of tackles with the top 10 pics. JD did what he was supposed to do… Select game changing Talent at the skills positionTalent at the skills positions. Let’s see what else develops prior to the start of the season. I am sure he is more familiar with the remaining weaknesses on this team than you or I are.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don't understand how a team supposedly built around running can have no placekicker and a terrible defense 

usually run first teams win by specials and defense. There's no plan to run when you're down 21 at halftime  

this whole "running game looking great" that's good news if they were trying to win games in 1965

this team will go as far as Zach's completion percentage takes them 

I agree with this to an extent. Cleveland did it with Chubb and Hunt, granted Chubb is arguably  the best RB in the league.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, bitonti said:

I don't understand how a team supposedly built around running can have no placekicker and a terrible defense 

usually run first teams win by specials and defense. There's no plan to run when you're down 21 at halftime  

this whole "running game looking great" that's good news if they were trying to win games in 1965

this team will go as far as Zach's completion percentage takes them 

A good run game slows the game down. Protects the QB. Slows down blitzes. Keeps the defense OFF the field. Opens up the passing game. What is this? Generation Jets 

09F41359-6700-4C10-B9DC-F81120350730.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, Warfish said:

Zach will have more opportunity to successfully make completions if the rushing game is consistently productive and can lower the pass rush threat to some degree.

And it has that level of potential.

There is nothing wrong with helping your your QB by taking some amount of pressure off and/or being able to earn yards on the ground as well as through the air.

That's been the Jimmy G formula for years now.  Run the ball well and get opportunities in the passing game with studs like Kittle and Deebo.  If the Jets rushing attack is better (it should be) and their weapons are better (they seem to be) then there's no reason Zach won't have every opportunity to take a solid step forward in Year 2.   We're now at the point where his success will mostly be up to him IMO.  That wasn't as much the case last year as a rookie, but the Jets have done a good job of putting him in a better position to succeed this year.  Better skill guys + no more rookie-itis + 2nd year for everyone in the system should lead to meaningful improvement (knock on wood!)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1