We need to consider trading some players

JohnnyLV

19 hours ago, batman10023 said:

We would be lucky to get one first rounder for him

Personally, I don't think he's anything special. However, a fool is born every second, and opinions obviously vary. JA for certain wasn't worth 2 firsts, and yet here we are. A team trading for him is projecting that he'll be a disruptive force sooner rather than later for the next decade, and help put them over the top, as opposed to a team trying to put together a roster. A team like that can take chances with their picks, and they have as we've seen.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JTJet said:

This. 

If Quinnen William's were a 2nd-7th rounder, everybody wouldn't give a sh*t if he got traded. 

He's always banged up.

He's not Aaron Donald.  He's not Vita Vea. 

He's like a Leonard Williams clone that you hope you can squeeze some big-time production out of before he hits FA and some team offers him stupid money.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He's always banged up.

He's not Aaron Donald.  He's not Vita Vea. 

He's like a Leonard Williams clone that you hope you can squeeze some big-time production out of before he hits FA and some team offers him stupid money.

Exactly right. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:15 PM, Untouchable said:

Where’s the demand for literally any of them besides Q?

On 8/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, peebag said:

I'm not sure you'd get all the much for Quinnen.

and Q plays a position I wouldn't want to have to pay / reset the market for... especially when he's no Donald. 

On 8/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, johnnysd said:

We seem to be in a rare situation where we have significant depth at a few positions and will be forced to release some potential starting caliber players to get to the 53 man roster. Some of those cuts are not likely to make it to the practice squad. 

I also don't think we should be afraid to trade some of our bigger names since they are likely not part of our long term plans anyway.

Here are some players I would consider trading:

1. Quinnen Williams. Q is a very good but not great player. He is in the last year of his contract before the 5th year option which we would definitely exercise. Most estimates of his extension are in the $18-$20 million range. That is a TON for a non-elite defensive lineman. Similar to the Leo situation, Q would have a lot of value right now. Teams would have 2 seasons and control of the third with the franchise tag. We would get at least a first and probably more for him. We would be slightly weaker on the DL but we are so deep there, and under Saleh he rotates the lineman so much that the performance impact would be small, but we get $10 million in cap relief plus $20 million additional next year. That's 3-5 good players we can sign along the lines of Whitehead Conklin Reed Uzomah that we signed this year.

2. Corey Davis Corey is again a good player but not great. It is seriously doubtful that he is part of our future plans. In my view he has been a mild disappointment so far with some injuries and several key drops. He was a solid #2 in Tenn and many FO personnel will attribute his performance drop to our QB situation (right or not). Again a team would be guaranteed 2 years so he is not a rental. I think we could get as high as #2 for him and I am more than OK with just putting Garret in his spot and rolling with Moore and Wilson as our outside guys which also makes it easier to keep some of the WR that have been flashing and open up a spot for someone like Cager who could be a very versatile player for the Jets

3. Rankins/Shepherd These are veteran guys but to be honest I would rather keep Tanzel and Marshall on the roster than these guys and we might be able to get a couple late round picks for them instead of releasing them or much worse, trying to sneak our young guys onto the PS and having them claimed.

4. Ashtyn Davis Decent player, again maybe just a late rounder, but IMO Parks and Riley are better and the only reason to keep Davis is because we drafted him.

5. Trevon Wesco With Cager and Yeboah and Bawden the cuts at TE/FB become absolutely brutal. Wesco is a solid player that can play inline, some full back and catch a little. I like the upside of the other guys better and we went from the worst TE room in the NFL to one of the best so we can't keep them all. We might be able to get Yeboah to the PS again, and Cager showed some ability to block so we may be able to get some draft capital for Wesco who could be a useful addition for several NFL teams.

6. Ty Johnson I think we might only keep 3 RBs this year and Zonovan flashed quite a bit in the preseason game. I think Perrine gets cut, and I like Hall/Carter/BAM better than Hall/Carter/Johnson. he won't be coveted but a team may slip us something for Ty as depth

I know a lot of you are going to immediately say we should trade Mims, but from the promise he showed in his first year to his effort, conditioning and flashes in TC I think it makes a lot of sense to give Mims another year. His combination of size and speed is not common at all. If we trade Davis it makes it a lot easier to give Mims the year. The Jets certainly may trade him but it is not my preference.

Interested in people's thoughts. Also lets not ruin the thread with arguments about trading Zach there are tons of other threads for that conversation.

Yayyyy.  More errrrrr..... draft capital

• Haha 1

The only player JD has that has serious trade value and makes sense to trade is Bryce Hall and he either gets traded before final 53 or before trade deadline mid season IMO

The excess DL is a good problem to have but chances are teams will wait out the cut down esp those high on waiver wire as Jets have no leverage.

Mims at best gets you 6/7 rounder so not worth it but maybe.

Mike White may get you a ham sandwich