Jump to content

2 TE Sets


BCJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Given the state of our LT situation so far this year, along with the cap allocation used on TE's this past off-season, I dont see why we have run so little of 2 TE sets. 

Here are CJ Uzomah's snap counts so far

  • Week 1 - 27%
  • Week 2 injured (Ruckert played 26%)
  • Week 3 - 34%

JD didnt spend $8 million per season on 2 TEs and then drafted another as injury insurance and yet we have been in 2 TE sets less then 1/3 of the time, how is that possible?  I really like LaFleur's overall scheme and understand that we are constantly trailing in these games, but its time to use the personnel that you and your GM have put together.  Conklin excels in pass protection and can easily help out a struggling LT and obviously run block.  Putting him and CJ on the field Sunday and establishing the run against a Trubisky led offense is as obvious of a game plan as you can see, given Pittsburgh's struggles stopping the run and zach likely having to work through some rust. 

Its hard enough to watch the defense refuse to adapt their scheme, but the offense actually has a competent coordinator and it would be a welcome sight to see him finally use the weapons that the team acquired for his scheme

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Less 2TE is probably a function of trying to get 4 different receivers on the field a lot. I’d guess that 2TE rate is actually relatively high compared to other teams too. And game flow probably plays in too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Less 2TE is probably a function of trying to get 4 different receivers on the field a lot. I’d guess that 2TE rate is actually relatively high compared to other teams too. And game flow probably plays in too.

Yep, being behind early certainly doesn't help. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Given the state of our LT situation so far this year, along with the cap allocation used on TE's this past off-season, I dont see why we have run so little of 2 TE sets. 

Here are CJ Uzomah's snap counts so far

  • Week 1 - 27%
  • Week 2 injured (Ruckert played 26%)
  • Week 3 - 34%

JD didnt spend $8 million per season on 2 TEs and then drafted another as injury insurance and yet we have been in 2 TE sets less then 1/3 of the time, how is that possible?  I really like LaFleur's overall scheme and understand that we are constantly trailing in these games, but its time to use the personnel that you and your GM have put together.  Conklin excels in pass protection and can easily help out a struggling LT and obviously run block.  Putting him and CJ on the field Sunday and establishing the run against a Trubisky led offense is as obvious of a game plan as you can see, given Pittsburgh's struggles stopping the run and zach likely having to work through some rust. 

Its hard enough to watch the defense refuse to adapt their scheme, but the offense actually has a competent coordinator and it would be a welcome sight to see him finally use the weapons that the team acquired for his scheme

Lol, last year anything around 30% would be 2nd in the NFL in frequency. 12 is very limiting offensively because you have so many fewer possible formations. So it can be easier to defend against. 

The NFL is an 11 personnel league. 11 fits our personnel the best as well.  Ironically because a team will almost always go nickel against 11, 11 can be a more effective way to run the ball.  

For the Jets I would say the best fits for our offensive talent in order are:

11 (Moore, Wilson, Davis)

10 (Moore, Wilson Davis Berrios)

21 ( Carter Hall Conklin Davis Wilson)

12 (Conklin Ruckert/Uzomah Wilson Davis

20 (Carter Hall Moore Wilson Davis)

13 (Ruckert Uzomah Conklin Davis/Wilson)

If I am the Jets I want Wilson and Moore on the field at the same time as much as possible. For now though Davis is still the primary X receiver.

Having said that, with the issues we have at LT, the Jets may decide to run a lot of 12 this weekend to protect the blind side better.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lol, last year anything around 30% would be 2nd in the NFL in frequency. 12 is very limiting offensively because you have so many fewer possible formations. So it can be easier to defend against. 

The NFL is an 11 personnel league. 11 fits our personnel the best as well.  Ironically because a team will almost always go nickel against 11, 11 can be a more effective way to run the ball.  

For the Jets I would say the best fits for our offensive talent in order are:

11 (Moore, Wilson, Davis)

10 (Moore, Wilson Davis Berrios)

21 ( Carter Hall Conklin Davis Wilson)

12 (Conklin Ruckert/Uzomah Wilson Davis

20 (Carter Hall Moore Wilson Davis)

13 (Ruckert Uzomah Conklin Davis/Wilson)

If I am the Jets I want Wilson and Moore on the field at the same time as much as possible. For now though Davis is still the primary X receiver.

Having said that, with the issues we have at LT, the Jets may decide to run a lot of 12 this weekend to protect the blind side better.

 

 

I dont disagree that when you have players like Ryan Griffin or Trevon Wesco then 12 personnel limits your personnel, but when you have both Conklin and CJ I think you can easily force a team into a base defense and then put CJ out wide with Moore or GW in the slot and create mismatches in the passing game that way. 

I also think you can run a max protect with Moore, GW and CJ as receivers, keep conklin as a blocker to help the LT and then have Breece of MC run a pattern either out of the backfield or from an empty formation.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I dont disagree that when you have players like Ryan Griffin or Trevon Wesco then 12 personnel limits your personnel, but when you have both Conklin and CJ I think you can easily force a team into a base defense and then put CJ out wide with Moore or GW in the slot and create mismatches in the passing game that way. 

I also think you can run a max protect with Moore, GW and CJ as receivers, keep conklin as a blocker to help the LT and then have Breece of MC run a pattern either out of the backfield or from an empty formation.  

What you say is true but I am not sure the Jets are better off locking Pittsburgh into base and running against a base front, than having Moore in the game instead of Uzomah and then running against nickel. 

In terms of limits I was mostly talking about personnel groupings. So you have WR either side, or 2WRs on same side as the only base configurations you have with variations in the spread within those so you could have both wide or shaded towards the slot. It does allow motioning into unbalanced running configurations for stretch plays which can be strong but at least up until this point our blocking out side has not been where it needs to be. 11 provides so much more in terms of ways to isolate specific defenders in coverage and disguise run looks.

That said, Saleh WANTS a 12 focused team, and with Zach's first week back they very well might start that way this weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lol, last year anything around 30% would be 2nd in the NFL in frequency. 12 is very limiting offensively because you have so many fewer possible formations. So it can be easier to defend against. 

The NFL is an 11 personnel league. 11 fits our personnel the best as well.  Ironically because a team will almost always go nickel against 11, 11 can be a more effective way to run the ball.  

For the Jets I would say the best fits for our offensive talent in order are:

11 (Moore, Wilson, Davis)

10 (Moore, Wilson Davis Berrios)

21 ( Carter Hall Conklin Davis Wilson)

12 (Conklin Ruckert/Uzomah Wilson Davis

20 (Carter Hall Moore Wilson Davis)

13 (Ruckert Uzomah Conklin Davis/Wilson)

If I am the Jets I want Wilson and Moore on the field at the same time as much as possible. For now though Davis is still the primary X receiver.

Having said that, with the issues we have at LT, the Jets may decide to run a lot of 12 this weekend to protect the blind side better.

 

 

doesn't help any formation when your LG is on roller skates or when opposing offenses score 2 TD on 1st 2 possession of every game practically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lol, last year anything around 30% would be 2nd in the NFL in frequency. 12 is very limiting offensively because you have so many fewer possible formations. So it can be easier to defend against. 

The NFL is an 11 personnel league. 11 fits our personnel the best as well.  Ironically because a team will almost always go nickel against 11, 11 can be a more effective way to run the ball.  

For the Jets I would say the best fits for our offensive talent in order are:

11 (Moore, Wilson, Davis)

10 (Moore, Wilson Davis Berrios)

21 ( Carter Hall Conklin Davis Wilson)

12 (Conklin Ruckert/Uzomah Wilson Davis

20 (Carter Hall Moore Wilson Davis)

13 (Ruckert Uzomah Conklin Davis/Wilson)

If I am the Jets I want Wilson and Moore on the field at the same time as much as possible. For now though Davis is still the primary X receiver.

Having said that, with the issues we have at LT, the Jets may decide to run a lot of 12 this weekend to protect the blind side better.

The best defenses in the NFL basically use Nickel as their base defense now. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...