Joe C and Connor - ZW Ice Water throws

On 10/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I think there's plenty from the game yesterday to criticize Zach on, but that throw wasn't one of them in my opinion.

• Still has mechanical issues on the swing passes for easy yardage. Happens too frequently to not be corrected by coaching at this point.
  • Holds the ball too long and bails on clean pockets at times
  • Throwing a pick at the end of the 2nd quarter was ill-advised. The Jets were in FG range with a 10-3 lead and the decision-making should have been to avoid negative plays and get points, especially when on the road and the Jets getting the ball back to start the 2nd half

That being said, he had a really crappy o-line and absolutely no running game and still elevated the team to the victory yesterday. The 2 last scoring drives were masterfully run. He still 100% needs to show more growth, but we also 100% lose that game with Flacco based on the pressure rate.

i don't necessarily agree about there being no run game.  true it didn't look good at times but both hall and carter made enough yards so the steelers had to respect it.  and wilson only had 37 attempts.  the rest of the offensive plays came from running the ball.  imo this is about the right number of attempts because it means they're running.  and with carter and hall it would be foolish not to use them.  they're both capable of breaking some good runs.

as for the rest of the comments, pretty uch agree.  i think wilson looks for the longer pass options first when he should be looking to move the chains.  but they won and he threw some nice darts to davis and wilson down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I noticed a few of those yesterday.  Despite his inconsistent performance, those were the "flashes" that I was looking for.  Plus the body language was good.  Zach didn't mope and didn't lose confidence.  When things looked bleak in the 4th quarter things just "clicked" for him and he turned the game around.

Yesterday was encouraging.

The key for Zach, or ANY young QB:  GIVE THEM TIME TO PROCESS THINGS.  Young QB's need a bit more time to process everything at the NFL level.  If you can give them time, you can create more Patrick Mahomes in the league rather than hundreds of Tim Couch's, Akili Smiths, Ryan Leafs, etc, etc, etc. 

Best way you can give them more time: A good O-line.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You’re taking about an secondary receiver on a vid of a great play and pass.  I’m literally saying he went to his primary receiver and had no reason to look at anyone else.  I’ll also say this, what you see from that high overhead view is not what you see from field level in the pocket.  Throw in you have no idea that would have gone for an TD.  And for that reason hate the he didn’t see the open receiver posts.   Happens all the time to everyone

It was not a big window to hit Garret Wilson.  Zach made a very good throw.  Never said it was a bad decision either.  I guarantee he will not hit that window every time he throws it.  He starts out looking to the center-left of the field, between Garett and Corey Davis.  Given that there were plenty of times last year where Zach stared down receivers, I don’t think it’s a Zach-hating comment to have wanted him (as a fan) to hit Corey Davis who was wide open.  Garett Wilson slightly beat his corner, has a LB in zone in front of him and a safety far behind him.  Corey Davis is all alone and embarrasses his corner.  I think it could’ve been even better for Zach to control the safety and LB with his eyes (which he does, by design or not, because he’s looking at Wilson and they shift towards him) and know he has Corey Davis on an island.  This is what Manning used to do.  Depending on what the DBs do, I do this or that.  That’s what I want.  Zach misfires here and it’s a scary play.  But sure, ultimately he didn’t.  I have commended Zach several times for his play.

On Zach’s first pick, which he threw into blatant double coverage, Garett Wilson beat his corner and was over the safety.  A good ball would have led him into the end zone.  But he went to his primary receiver.  Did he have reason to look anywhere else?  Of course he did.  It was a stupid throw.

Not once did I say “Zach sucks he missed the open receiver.”  Excuse me for wanting the quarterback of my team to be the best possible quarterback he can be.  Kindly take your “WAH!  YOU HATE ZACH WILSON!” and shove it.

36 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

On Zach’s first pick, which he threw into blatant double coverage, Garett Wilson beat his corner and was over the safety.  A good ball would have led him into the end zone.  But he went to his primary receiver.  Did he have reason to look anywhere else?  Of course he did.  It was a stupid throw.

Ugh, this is completely wrong.  ZW saw single coverage, read the defense perfectly and then smith runs his coverage into Moore and just like that a DB who wasn’t supposed to be there was.  ZW made the correct read, found the right WR.  The only criticism should be that he should have protected the FG as he had 3pts in his pocket as opposed to being aggressive going for 7.  Which I didn’t have an issue with at 10-0

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Ugh, this is completely wrong.  ZW saw single coverage, read the defense perfectly and then smith runs his coverage into Moore and just like that a DB who wasn’t supposed to be there was.  ZW made the correct read, found the right WR.  The only criticism should be that he should have protected the FG as he had 3pts in his pocket as opposed to being aggressive going for 7.  Which I didn’t have an issue with at 10-0

Someone not named Wilson ****ed up on that play as there is no way the route tree would take the DB into Jeff smith like that. Also the play before to Corey Davis was a catch and should have counted

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:37 AM, HighPitch said:

now u guys sound like the douche that gets a free lobster and complains about not getting a free beer to go with it

Or as I like to say, some the folks here would go to a Roman orgy and complain about the wine!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, the under throw to Breece, would have been a great catch, but ok, I will agree it was behind him . The other two you mention make that a total of posibly 3. The INT off Conklin's hands has to be caught, it was a little high but very catchable. Cant expect Zach to be perfect, he needs his teammates to bail him out once in awhile and it rarely seems to happen 

I rewatched the INT on the Conklin pass and I agree with you.  Definitely Conklin's fault.  Wasn't even that bad of a pass.  GW dropped 2 passes as well so that's a total of 3 (at a minimum)

The Breece pass was awful though and it could've been a TD.   The 4th quarter sidearm pass was thrown right to Minkah Fitzpatrick (I rewatched and saw that one too).  I think the 4th quarter pass behind the WR was to Conklin.  And there was a really bad/dangerous pass to GW that could've been picked.  So I count 4 bad passes, 3 of which could've changed the game (for the worse) and 3 drops.

But I'm willing to excuse it all because it was his first game back after 7 weeks and he got the job done.  Plus he had a few passes that were beauties.  Again, I'm looking forward to Sunday.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:11 AM, PolarBear said:

Didn’t realize this-Zach missed a busted coverage to Corey Davis on the big gainer to Garrett.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it ended up working in the Jets favor. If Davis scores there Pitt has plenty of time left on the clock. 

On 10/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, SuicidalSince98 said:

So now we want Zach to hesitate, come off his primary open read, and look across to the other side of the field because Davis happened to be more open? 

On 10/3/2022 at 8:11 PM, greenwave81 said:

Do you know who was Zach's first read on that play?  Because if it's GW, and he thinks he can get it to him, Zach isn't even going to look for anyone else.  I'm certain he's taught that if he feels his first read is open or 'doable' then take it, especially behind  makeshift OL.  It's not like he's looking at all his options first and then hitting the most wide open guy.

This. 

In order to go to Davis, Wilson would have had to confirm that the safety over the top was not cheating over, which would require him to look towards where GW was running, thereby potentially burning both route trees because coming back requires a re-check of where Fitzpatrick is, who is the Robber.