James Robinson needs 175 more yards running from scrimmage for the Jets to fork over a 5th round pick instead of a 6th round pick, and I don't think he will do it.

Alka

When the Jets traded for James Robinson, he needed 600 rushing yards for the entire year, for the Jets to fork over a 5th round pick instead of a 6th round pick.  With 4 games to go, Robinson's total for yards from scrimmage stands at 425 yards.  He has been active in 4 of the past 5 games since he put on a Jets uniform, and in those 4 games, has a total of 85 yards rushing.  To hit 600 yards, he will need to double his output over the remaining 4 games for the pick to go to a 5th round.

His highest output has been 48 yards in one game, and a measly 37 yards in the other 3 games combined.  I understand that running the ball depends on how many carries he gets, but if isn't being productive, then those carries will go to the other backs instead.  In his last 2 games that he played, he had 10 yards for 7 carries against the Patriots, and 10 yards for 4 carries against the Vikings.  When you have that kind of production, the ball needs to go to Bam and Johnson, and hopefully Michael Carter if he comes back next week.

Right now, IMO he is not worthy of a 5th round pick.  Would the Jets contemplate inactivating him in any game to hold him back?  I don't think so, but again, if he doesn't produce, then he should be inactivated.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You cant justify a 5th for him at this point.  He's done.  Shame, absolutely awesome dude and a great story but not the same player after the achilles.  JD has been pretty money but he got took on this one which is fine, as long as it's only a 6th.  Definitely needs to be out of the line up when Carter is back. 

• Upvote 2

Agreed.  No point in forcing it.  If Carter is healthy it's gotta be Carter-Bam-Johnson.  They've clearly been the best RBs and most deserving of playing time.  Robinson can groan if he wants, but whatever.

I will say though, Breece-Carter-Bam looks pretty damn good for next year.  I like that trio a lot.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jbt said:

once carter is back no need for him.  no way they should let him get those yards

I completely agree.  If training camp were held today, he would have no shot of making the opening day roster.  Hall, Carter, now Bam would be the top 3, and I believe Ty Johnson would snag the 4th position over Robinson, assuming no one else was in the running.

One could argue that giving up a 6th round pick was the correct thing to do at the time, but a 5th round pick?  He's just not worth it, plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Knight's performance makes it easy for the staff to minimize Robinson's touches.  With Carter coming

back Robinson will not meet the target for us to give JAX a 5th

In addition to what you said, with Carter coming back, you must inactivate at least one of the running backs.  Who would you inactivate?  Carter and Bam both get the nod, especially with what Bam has shown you the past 2 weeks.  Ty Johnson is active, due to his being on special teams alone.  That makes Robinson the odd man out.  This week against the Bills, those running yards will be hard to come by.  He got 20 total yards in 11 carries over the last 2 games that he played in. Not good enough to be activated for Buffalo.  I think it all comes down to if Carter comes back this week, and Saleh thought that Carter had the possibility to come back last week.  

15 minutes ago, JiFields said:

You cant justify a 5th for him at this point.  He's done.  Shame, absolutely awesome dude and a great story but not the same player after the achilles.  JD has been pretty money but he got took on this one which is fine, as long as it's only a 6th.  Definitely needs to be out of the line up when Carter is back. 

Hindsight, Kareem Hunt was the trade to make.  He looks to still have his burst.  Wonder what it would have taken to trade for him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If Carter is back I think it's clear Robinson is the #3.

Bam, to me, seems to be the far better RB.

Carter 1, Bam 2, Robinson 3.

Remember, Saleh said in a press conference not long ago that Ty Johnson will continue to be activated due to his play on special teams.  If Carter comes back, "You're going to activate 4 running backs to include Robinson?"  

I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

When the Jets traded for James Robinson, he needed 600 rushing yards for the entire year, for the Jets to fork over a 5th round pick instead of a 6th round pick.  With 4 games to go, Robinson's total for yards from scrimmage stands at 425 yards.  He has been active in 4 of the past 5 games since he put on a Jets uniform, and in those 4 games, has a total of 85 yards rushing.  To hit 600 yards, he will need to double his output over the remaining 4 games for the pick to go to a 5th round.

His highest output has been 48 yards in one game, and a measly 37 yards in the other 3 games combined.  I understand that running the ball depends on how many carries he gets, but if isn't being productive, then those carries will go to the other backs instead.  In his last 2 games that he played, he had 10 yards for 7 carries against the Patriots, and 10 yards for 4 carries against the Vikings.  When you have that kind of production, the ball needs to go to Bam and Johnson, and hopefully Michael Carter if he comes back next week.

Right now, IMO he is not worthy of a 5th round pick.  Would the Jets contemplate inactivating him in any game to hold him back?  I don't think so, but again, if he doesn't produce, then he should be inactivated.

Knight has definitely  become the lead back now, especially with the long run play he had against the Vikes. Thebguy really surprised me yesterday. He has made MC expendable. 

I agree he won't make the 600.  I am not so sure that means he is done.  First of all, I think he was worth a 6th as insurance that Bam didn't suck and I believe that Johnson has had protection issues in the past.  I think Robinson right now seems more of a banger and will need touches to get his yards.  Not worth giving them to him, but I can see him earning some in the future.  I think he tore his achilles week 16 last year.  It hasn't even been a year yet and people were giving Lawson plenty of slack at the start of the year.  This deal might pay dividends next season.

I like Knight a bunch.  He runs hard.  I am worried that he will fumble.  Guys that run that hard often do, I am very happy he has been proving me wrong.