New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Great off-season, even with letting deGrom go. Much like last year, this was a dream offseason.

So excited for this season. Really feel like we're in for special times. Have a great owner who actually loves this team and is willing to spend. Team looks arguably better than last years 100 win one. 

What a time to be a fan. Let's have an awesome year. 

• Upvote 1

Would've been nice for the Mets to have had money back when deGrom was healthy and in his prime but oh well.

Verlander, Scherzer and Senga all have some question marks (age, and no MLB experience) but I still love the way it looks on paper.  And I'm hoping that Senga can help us get Ohtani next offseason.

I'm excited about giving Alvarez (C) and Baty (3B) a lot of playing time to give the team some youth (to go with the veterans) but I still think we need another established bat. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I was reading that they’re playing him at 3rd now. If he looks good there I wonder what that means for the other IF when the trade deadline approaches. 

If you’re referring to Baty remember Mauricio is still 1-2 years away. I think we need to see players like Lee & Vientos step up and contribute on the MLB level. Hoping they haven’t plateaued at AAA

Right now, here are the Mets draft choices (does not include compensation for Bassit yet):

-Pick 32-dropped 10 spots for exceeding luxury tax.

-Pick 58

-Pick 93

-Pick 103 -Comp for unsigned 3rd round pick last year.

-Pick 125

-Pick 135- Comp for deGrom

That is still 6 (will be 7) in the top 140 picks. That should still be a haul, if their analytics is boosted as much as they believe. With that, should continue to have a atop 10 rated farm system, even with losing prospect status of Alvarez and Baty this year.

59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Right now, here are the Mets draft choices (does not include compensation for Bassit yet):

-Pick 58

-Pick 93

-Pick 125

That is still 6 (will be 7) in the top 140 picks. That should still be a haul, if their analytics is boosted as much as they believe. With that, should continue to have a atop 10 rated farm system, even with losing prospect status of Alvarez and Baty this year.

Wow! Comp for deGrom is a rip-off! Even dropping 10 spots for Cohen rule is a joke.

The quicker the Farm System gets rebuilt, the better. I don't feel comfortable spending like this and it's not even my $. Grateful for Cohen going all in. We really would have had problems otherwise.

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wow! Comp for deGrom is a rip-off! Even dropping 10 spots for Cohen rule is a joke.

The quicker the Farm System gets rebuilt, the better. I don't feel comfortable spending like this and it's not even my $. Grateful for Cohen going all in. We really would have had problems otherwise.

Van Wagnen chipped away at the underbelly of the farm system. He had to feel pressure to get immediate results, and while it was not great quality he traded away (Kelenic?) it was great quantity. And that robs a farm system of development. These last 2 drafts have helped replenish with quantity and quality. That and the investment of player development should put the Mets where they can be close to the Dodgers in identifying, and then developing consistent quality.

The Wilpons knew when to get out. The barren farm system that was coming up, along with their unwillingness to invest in free agents would have made the current Mets unwatchable under their leadership. Cohen HAD to prop up the current club in order to compete. The exceeding the cap to this degree should be short lived, as the farm system catches up and begins to produce. There will be huge monies coming off the books in the next several years.

Kudos to Cohen for playin the short game (for the fans sake) and investing in barren infrastructure. A special note need to go to Paul dePodesta, who produced many good players under his short term with the Mets. It is a shame the Browns hired him away.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Pick 58

-Pick 93

-Pick 125

I think it's pretty clear that Uncle $tevie gave the go-ahead to spend like crazy for a few years (Verlander and Scherzer are both short-term) until we can build up a pipeline of young players, where we can do the Atlanta Braves thing (of signing them long-term early on).  I hate the Braves but that GM really figured out the formula.  Of course, it all starts with drafting great players.

I think we're basically going to have these 4 guys locked down long-term:

1B) Alonso

2B) McNeil

SS) Lindor

CF) Nimmo

We have a couple of young guys ready to really start their careers next year:

C ) Alvarez

3B) Baty

And a few high ceiling prospects in the pipeline (I'm sure I'm missing some):

C ) Kevin Parada

3B) Ronny Mauricio

3B) Mark Vientos

OF) Alex Ramirez

P) Matthew Allen

With this upcoming draft, we can hopefully add several more key pieces for the future.

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it's pretty clear that Uncle $tevie gave the go-ahead to spend like crazy for a few years (Verlander and Scherzer are both short-term) until we can build up a pipeline of young players, where we can do the Atlanta Braves thing (of signing them long-term early on).  I hate the Braves but that GM really figured out the formula.  Of course, it all starts with drafting great players.

I think we're basically going to have these 4 guys locked down long-term:

1B) Alonso

2B) McNeil

SS) Lindor

CF) Nimmo

We have a couple of young guys ready to really start their careers next year:

C ) Alvarez

3B) Baty

And a few high ceiling prospects in the pipeline (I'm sure I'm missing some):

C ) Kevin Parada

3B) Ronny Mauricio

3B) Mark Vientos

OF) Alex Ramirez

P) Matthew Allen

With this upcoming draft, we can hopefully add several more key pieces for the future.

I'm not sold on Baty at all. Tons of talent but he didn't look like a guy that was less than a year away from being a major leaguer last fall.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sold on Baty at all. Tons of talent but he didn't look like a guy that was less than a year away from being a major leaguer last fall.

I didn't think Alvarez did either.  But I think they're both going to get a chance this year.  I'll keep up the optimism on both since it was only a short stint in the majors for both last year.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't think Alvarez did either.  But I think they're both going to get a chance this year.  I'll keep up the optimism on both since it was only a short stint in the majors for both last year.

They called Alvarez up in a crappy and really odd situation that was completely unfair to him. Seemed to have at least handled it with grace. Baty on the other hand got a fair shot and just looked lost after the HR. Hopefully something clicks but he really looks like a kid. And if Escobar picks up where he left off last season, can they even afford to bother with Baty anyways? Probably not.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Van Wagnen chipped away at the underbelly of the farm system. He had to feel pressure to get immediate results, and while it was not great quality he traded away (Kelenic?) it was great quantity. And that robs a farm system of development. These last 2 drafts have helped replenish with quantity and quality. That and the investment of player development should put the Mets where they can be close to the Dodgers in identifying, and then developing consistent quality.

The Wilpons knew when to get out. The barren farm system that was coming up, along with their unwillingness to invest in free agents would have made the current Mets unwatchable under their leadership. Cohen HAD to prop up the current club in order to compete. The exceeding the cap to this degree should be short lived, as the farm system catches up and begins to produce. There will be huge monies coming off the books in the next several years.

Kudos to Cohen for playin the short game (for the fans sake) and investing in barren infrastructure. A special note need to go to Paul dePodesta, who produced many good players under his short term with the Mets. It is a shame the Browns hired him away.

While we may have improved in identifying quality prospects, there are still a lot of questions surrounding our player development metrics!

Considering how the Browns went ALL-IN on DW and the amount of Draft capital & Cap space.... perhaps dePodesta could be enticed to take over for Sandy?! The guy is brilliant!

wins moneyball GIF by AskMen

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While we may have improved in identifying quality prospects, there are still a lot of questions surrounding our player development metrics!

Considering how the Browns went ALL-IN on DW and the amount of Draft capital & Cap space.... perhaps dePodesta could be enticed to take over for Sandy?! The guy is brilliant!

wins moneyball GIF by AskMen

They have been making more hires to benefit that aspect (development metrics) of it. Whether it works better, time will only tell. i do know that teams were trying to hire away some of our people in those areas, and Cohen gave them raises.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They have been making more hires to benefit that aspect (development metrics) of it. Whether it works better, time will only tell. i do know that teams were trying to hire away some of our people in those areas, and Cohen gave them raises.

He actually recruited a bunch of computational experts from Ivy league schools last year. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He actually recruited a bunch of computational experts from Ivy league schools last year. 

I'd prefer one of the original guys who also has a multitude of year's experience running an organization. All the other computer nerds can report to the Alpha computer nerd.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They called Alvarez up in a crappy and really odd situation that was completely unfair to him. Seemed to have at least handled it with grace. Baty on the other hand got a fair shot and just looked lost after the HR. Hopefully something clicks but he really looks like a kid. And if Escobar picks up where he left off last season, can they even afford to bother with Baty anyways? Probably not.

The last 8-10 games Baty played before the injury he was starting to hit pretty much everything hard. I think he is going to, at worst, platoon at 3rd with Escobar, and  more than likely be playing full time as the season goes along. FWIW, I have a friend who is a scout for another national league team snd in their opinion, Baty is the best hitter in our system by a wide margin. He was the guy teams were asking for at the deadline. They know what they have in this guy.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Was it Cohen or Correa's agent putting that rumor out there, looking to drive up the price.

I'd bet the latter.

The Athletic had a source from inside the Mets office that said something along the lines of where there is smoke..... but they did not know how large the fire was. The Mets very well have been used in the process to raise the price up. The Mets wanted a high priced short term deal, but I can't blame Correa taking the deal he got.

11 hours ago, section314 said:

The last 8-10 games Baty played before the injury he was starting to hit pretty much everything hard. I think he is going to, at worst, platoon at 3rd with Escobar, and  more than likely be playing full time as the season goes along. FWIW, I have a friend who is a scout for another national league team snd in their opinion, Baty is the best hitter in our system by a wide margin. He was the guy teams were asking for at the deadline. They know what they have in this guy.

Good. The better Baty is regarded the lower the likelihood we'll have to include someone like McNeil in a deal for Ohtani.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Athletic had a source from inside the Mets office that said something along the lines of where there is smoke..... but they did not know how large the fire was. The Mets very well have been used in the process to raise the price up. The Mets wanted a high priced short term deal, but I can't blame Correa taking the deal he got.

That deal, and really all the deals this offseason, makes Lindor look like a ******* bargain now. Another year or two and his salary won't even be top ten in the league.