New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Not to digress, but did any of you see that amazing catch by Hunter Renfroe last night? I have the MLB Pass, and since Shohei Ohtani was pitching I wanted to check out the Angels game. Renfroe was on the run and put his glove behind his head and somehow, he caught that ball. Just a great catch. Ohtani was just putting his hands on his head in amazement that Renfroe caught that ball. Even Renfroe was grinning ear to ear after the play because he had to know he was a little lucky to catch that ball. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, JiF said:

Any excitement I had for this season is gone.  It's just so, freaking Metsy for this to happen.  And meanwhile, I'm watching Trae Turner straight raking.  lmfao.  Biggest payroll in baseball, still wont beat the Braves or Phillies.  

Yay!  

On 3/30/2023 at 1:57 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Verlander to IL. Metsiest start to a season ever. I wonder if Stevie is wishing he bought another team at this point.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:10 PM, Lith said:

This season just keeps getting better and better. And it hasn’t even started yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I will go ahead and say it.  This team, stinks.  They’re not good.  Even if they were 100% healthy, it’s just a poorly constructed team with really no exciting players.  Just a very boring roster not built to compete with the Braves or Phillies. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I will go ahead and say it.  This team, stinks.  They’re not good.  Even if they were 100% healthy, it’s just a poorly constructed team with really no exciting players.  Just a very boring roster not built to compete with the Braves or Phillies. 

I can't agree with this at all.  I do hate that we're a bloated, expensive team (with some very expensive older players) who still hasn't even paid Alonso yet.  And while losing Edwin Diaz was a major blow to our chances, in no way do I think this team stinks.  Obviously we need to get healthy in the rotation but there's still plenty of talent on this team.  And we do have some young guys (e.g. Alvarez, Baty and maybe even Mauricio) who could make an impact this year.  Plus I'm sure we'll be active at the trade deadline should closer be holding us back.

Also, we don't need to win the division.  Just make the playoffs in the last wildcard spot and get hot at the right time (which we might do should we get healthy by then).  Baseball's postseason is now somewhat of a marathon so anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't agree with this at all.  I do hate that we're a bloated, expensive team (with some very expensive older players) who still hasn't even paid Alonso yet.  And while losing Edwin Diaz was a major blow to our chances, in no way do I think this team stinks.  Obviously we need to get healthy in the rotation but there's still plenty of talent on this team.  And we do have some young guys (e.g. Alvarez, Baty and maybe even Mauricio) who could make an impact this year.  Plus I'm sure we'll be active at the trade deadline should closer be holding us back.

Also, we don't need to win the division.  Just make the playoffs in the last wildcard spot and get hot at the right time (which we might do should we get healthy by then).  Baseball's postseason is now somewhat of a marathon so anything can happen.

There’s always prospects for every team to get excited about.  Are the Mets’ guys better than a lot of others in the NL?  I’m interested to see Baty but I’m just wondering if there’s any upcoming “special” talent we’re waiting on to truly be excited about?

And we’re always going to be waiting for the rotation to “get healthy”, especially with how old Scherzer and Verlander are.

This team is good but far from great.  

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There’s always prospects for every team to get excited about.  Are the Mets’ guys better than a lot of others in the NL?  I’m interested to see Baty but I’m just wondering if there’s any upcoming “special” talent we’re waiting on to truly be excited about?

And we’re always going to be waiting for the rotation to “get healthy”, especially with how old Scherzer and Verlander are.

This team is good but far from great.  

My point is that we don't stink.  I do think it's questionable how good we are but I think they're probably better than you're giving them credit for.  This is the Mets though so you never know.

I love the way the Braves are constructed btw and I hope Steve Cohen tries to build with youth and signs them long-term.  But again, we'll see how things turn out.  It's a very long season and there will be ups-and-downs for every team.  If we can just make the playoffs (even if it's the last WC seed) you never now what can happen, especially with the current format.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I also want to point out how much of a weapon a guy like LoCastro could end up being with the current rules (you can only throw over 2x.  It's a balk if you don't pick the guy off on the 3rd time).

I was wondering about the logistics of that rule.  So really it's prudent for a pitcher to throw over only once.  Throw it over 2x and the runner will take a much bigger lead afterwards...

Maybe we'll start to see more pitchouts.  That's gone by the wayside a bit.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fair.  Stinks was harsh, mediocre was probably a better word. It just seems disjointed.  Baty, Alvarez, Vientos all went yard today, if they actually hit for once, that could change things.  IBut idk, just seems like an old bloated team, I guess I'm just tempering my expectations you could say.

On a side note, Marte was a great add.  One of the better ones in a while.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

10-0 Brewers ; we need Baty and Vientos .

That was ugly.  Driving up to Milwaukee tomorrow for the game.  Thought about yesterday's game, but it was not worth paying the premium for the Brewers home opener, so I am going to the Wednesday afternoon game instead.  Not sure what will happen tomorrow, but that is sure looking like a good decision right now.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

That was ugly.  Driving up to Milwaukee tomorrow for the game.  Thought about yesterday's game, but it was not worth paying the premium for the Brewers home opener, so I am going to the Wednesday afternoon game instead.  Not sure what will happen tomorrow, but that is sure looking like a good decision right now.

Make sure to have a brat and a beer .

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Make sure to have a brat and a beer .

That is 100% part of the plan.  Wednesday afternoon.  Play hooky from work.  Couple of brats.  Couple of beers.  Watch some baseball.  Should be a really nice Wednesday.  But it will be better if they win.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, JiF said:

Fair.  Stinks was harsh, mediocre was probably a better word. It just seems disjointed.  Baty, Alvarez, Vientos all went yard today, if they actually hit for once, that could change things.  IBut idk, just seems like an old bloated team, I guess I'm just tempering my expectations you could say.

On a side note, Marte was a great add.  One of the better ones in a while.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sad Michael Scott GIF

Probably my fault but I going to go back to my original take, this team stinks.  lmfao  Like, really not good.

• Haha 1