OK fellas, let's talk draft

There are three spots I want to see drafted, OT, LB, and QB. We can not have Fant here for another season. He had a good season last year and has now gone back to sucking.  This team also cannot have guys like Mosley  and Quincy as the best LB's on the team. We need a guy that is a run stopping monster. Walker who is a rookie looked like Barry Sanders out there yesterday, and do I have to say anything about QB. Their is no QB in FA that is going to save this team. Carr is an upgrade but he isn't  taking this team anywhere. He had Adams as a WR this season and wasn't  able to make that work. How do you think he will do with Moore and GW who literally  gave up yesterday.  We need to draft a QB in the first or second round if we are to have a future. Next season we get Hall, AVT, and Becton back. Hopefully all 3 stay healthy. If they do, that is a huge upgrade in talent. This team should make a playoff run with whoever we get in FA but if we want a SB, we need to draft a QB. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, WhartonJet said:

I understand the QB need, but not at the top of the draft.  I just don’t see this coaching staff developing a young QB.  We need to sign a veteran, and perhaps draft a developmental QB in the later rounds that is not expected to start

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I understand the QB need, but not at the top of the draft.  I just don’t see this coaching staff developing a young QB.  We need to sign a veteran, and perhaps draft a developmental QB in the later rounds that is not expected to start

There is no rule that says a QB drafted highly has to start. If you draft a QB in 3rd or 4th, all you get is another Morgan. 

• Upvote 3

People will hate this but DT and edge STILL remain an issue, not necessarily saying in Rd 1 (although if you want a really dominant  edge guy you have to go early) but that DL is Q and an OK Lawson and nothing else, sure Clemons and JJ have potential but we’ve not seen enough to be sure they can step up…JFM is a liability who needs to be cut…ditto Shepherd & Rankins(who’s been solid but we need more than solid)

I’d sure love to see Jalen Carter wrecking things up the middle and thus freeing up Q to be even more dominant and for our edge guys to have done space to make plays …we continue to be soft up the middle against the run too and a guy like Carter changes that.

no question LT & OC are huge needs and our LB’s could certainly see an upgrade. WR too is still a major priority as Berrios & Mims have no future here

much work to be done in FA & Draft 

• Upvote 2

There is no way this staff can hitch its wagon to another high pick rookie QB. The clock is officially ticking now. The front office and coaching staff won’t get another 2-3-4 seasons to develop a QB. There jobs are on the line. They missed on Zach and while some of these losses over the last month have been pathetic, it’s clear this team could be a lot better with mediocre to good QB play. They will have to go get a vet next season. Next year, the pressure is on. The security blanket is gone. They have to make the playoffs next year or risk being unemployed.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

People will hate this but DT and edge STILL remain an issue, not necessarily saying in Rd 1 (although if you want a really dominant  edge guy you have to go early) but that DL is Q and an OK Lawson and nothing else, sure Clemons and JJ have potential but we’ve not seen enough to be sure they can step up…JFM is a liability who needs to be cut…ditto Shepherd & Rankins(who’s been solid but we need more than solid)

I’d sure love to see Jalen Carter wrecking things up the middle and thus freeing up Q to be even more dominant and for our edge guys to have done space to make plays …we continue to be soft up the middle against the run too and a guy like Carter changes that.

no question LT & OC are huge needs and our LB’s could certainly see an upgrade. WR too is still a major priority as Berrios & Mims have no future here

First 2 picks are OL and DL.  

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I don't think the DL is a priority. JFM made some dumb penalties  but he showed up yesterday. We also have Huff who us a pretty under used edge. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, you are right.  But look at what this staff did with Wilson.  Put him on the field with no competition because he was the #2 pick.  Now we have a more talented roster that is ready to win with competent QB play.  If we invest a high pick on a QB, you don’t think the coaching staff will play them?  Of course they will, especially given the investment after striking out on Zach so early.  

If we do take a QB in the first round, it also likely means we did not go get a big ticket free agent veteran QB.  So who exactly would be playing ahead of this new rookie QB (White, Wilson???).

Our coaching staff does not have the time, skill, or patience to property develop a QB, so we should not be drafting a QB high under any circumstance.

We need a veteran who can step in and immediately bring stability to the position.  An unquestioned starter that would allow the staff to draft a developmental QB that could sit on the bench and actually learn.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You really need to find a new hobby if you have to heal from this. The defense has looked like dog ? for about 3 games in a row. 

The last 4 losses they allowed 23, 20, 20, and 19 points. All while the offense consistently putting them in bad positions. The defense, while it could get better, is def not the problem. There are plenty of teams winning games allowing far more points. The offense is the problem.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

To soon. 

Let us heal first 

There is no healing just a quick off season triage where most of us convince ourselves things will be better and attack the “Debbie downers,” only to be nut kicked yet again into the stratosphere.

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

There is no way this staff can hitch its wagon to another rookie QB. The clock is officially ticking now. The front office and coaching staff won’t get another 2-3-4 seasons to develop a QB. There jobs are on the line. They missed on Zach and while some of these losses over the last month have been pathetic, it’s clear this team could be a lot better with mediocre to good QB play. They will have to go get a vet next season. Next year, the pressure is on. The security blanket is gone. They have to make the playoffs next year or risk being unemployed.

I really don't  understand  this. I would say there is a very high likelihood  that Carr is on this team next season. We can draft a guy like Hooker in the second round and just have him sit the entire season behind Carr. Then when we realize Carr is not the answer, there is at least an alternative.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, WhartonJet said:

Yes, you are right.  But look at what this staff did with Wilson.  Put him on the field with no competition because he was the #2 pick.  Now we have a more talented roster that is ready to win with competent QB play.  If we invest a high pick on a QB, you don’t think the coaching staff will play them?  Of course they will, especially given the investment after striking out on Zach so early.  

If we do take a QB in the first round, it also likely means we did not go get a big ticket free agent veteran QB.  So who exactly would be playing ahead of this new rookie QB (White, Wilson???).

Our coaching staff does not have the time, skill, or patience to property develop a QB, so we should not be drafting a QB high under any circumstance.

We need a veteran who can step in and immediately bring stability to the position.  An unquestioned starter that would allow the staff to draft a developmental QB that could sit on the bench and actually learn.

All true.  Plus this regime is now in win now mode after this collapse, jobs are on the line.

my guess is that saleh is going to have to sacrifice MLF to save his job.  They can’t bring in a guy like carr and use the same coordinator who failed so miserably with wilson.  If carr comes here and the offense still sucks that would mean the end of saleh. 

Their best hope now is to lure carr here with an experienced coordinator, selling carr on a revamped OL and hopefully, breece and a revamped running game.  They have wrs and TEs.  But at this point, MLF may be a dealbreaker for any vet qb.  

The more i think about this, it’s not worth trading wilson, nor will they get a good return at this point.  It’s hard to see a team giving up good 2nd round pick for him, there’s just nothing to justify it.  Of course there wasn’t justification for what carolina gave up for darnold either, other than the belief that the jets can’t develop qbs.  

It makes sense for the jets to go all in on carr, beef up the OL and bring in an experienced OC. It would be fascinating if the jets brought in reich to be the OC b/c he would also be the natural guy to become the HC if they got rid of saleh.  That would put heat on saleh, and also give wilson the best chance to develop into something.

• Upvote 2

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  understand  this. I would say there is a very high likelihood  that Carr is on this team next season. We can draft a guy like Hooker in the second round and just have him sit the entire season behind Carr. Then when we realize Carr is not the answer, there is at least an alternative.  

What’s not to understand? The staff can’t afford to waste valuable draft capital on players that won’t help them save their jobs. 

4 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Look, if you think we can draft a QB in the 4th round and develop them into a starter, God bless you. We can't  even develop first round picks. We bring in Carr and draft a QB in the second round at worst. Carr has been in the NFL for 10 years.  He just wants  another shot to start and he will get that here. Anywhere he goes he will have to accept the team will be developing another QB due to his age and resume. 

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The last 4 losses they allowed 23, 20, 20, and 19 points. All while the offense consistently putting them in bad positions. The defense, while it could get better, is def not the problem. There are plenty of teams winning games allowing far more points. The offense is the problem.

I agree, the points put up aren't  a problem in those games but look at the offenses we played. They shouldn't  have even scored that much.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This team has massive holes at OL, LB, and S.  The offense will need a WR2 after we cut Corey Davis.  I don’t think we are in a position to burn a #2 on a guy that won’t play.  

Also, do you trust this coaching staff to develop a second round QB?  How did the “reset” go for Zach?  What has this coaching staff shown you to make you believe they will be developing a QB without giving them starter reps?

4 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

This team has massive holes at OL, LB, and S.  The offense will need a WR2 after we cut Corey Davis.  I don’t think we are in a position to burn a #2 on a guy that won’t play.  

Also, do you trust this coaching staff to develop a second round QB?  How did the “reset” go for Zach?  What has this coaching staff shown you to make you believe they will be developing a QB without giving them starter reps?

This regime can no longer afford to spend a premium pick on a qb.  They demonstrated that with anything resembling a functional starter this is a playoff contender and they need to use those picks on guys who can contribute immediately.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I agree, the points put up aren't  a problem in those games but look at the offenses we played. They shouldn't  have even scored that much.

When your offense is going 3 and out or punting after 5 play drives, you’re likely losing the field position battle. Teams are getting so many more chances to score. The worse your offense is, the more opportunities the opposing offense will get to score. 

Jets need help in the trenches. C, DT, and OT should all be draft priorities. OL also needs to be hit in free agency. 

Free agency/trade is where they should be looking QB and WR. No one associated with this franchise can handle a rookie QB. Owner, GM, coach, fan; no one. I am a little concerned that White’s poor play yesterday opens the door somewhat to a Zach return but, like Becton, if he’s back he can’t be relied for anything. A starting caliber QB needs to be brought in. 

I don’t think there’s any vast conspiracy involving the defense. The best defense is an offense that can stay on the field. The Jets did not have that for much of the season. The defense was up to the task early, but that starts to take its toll. Fix the offense, and the defense will be much better. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, if you think we can draft a QB in the 4th round and develop them into a starter, God bless you. We can't  even develop first round picks. We bring in Carr and draft a QB in the second round at worst. Carr has been in the NFL for 10 years.  He just wants  another shot to start and he will get that here. Anywhere he goes he will have to accept the team will be developing another QB due to his age and resume. 

If you bring in Carr, you spend whatever’s left of your draft capital on the rest of the team around him, not his backup. Carr would be brought in to be the starter, not a placeholder. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Jets need help in the trenches. C, DT, and OT should all be draft priorities. OL also needs to be hit in free agency. 

Free agency/trade is where they should be looking QB and WR. No one associated with this franchise can handle a rookie QB. Owner, GM, coach, fan; no one. I am a little concerned that White’s poor play yesterday opens the door somewhat to a Zach return but, like Becton, if he’s back he can’t be relied for anything. A starting caliber QB needs to be brought in. 

I don’t think there’s any vast conspiracy involving the defense. The best defense is an offense that can stay on the field. The Jets did not have that for much of the season. The defense was up to the task early, but that starts to take its toll. Fix the offense, and the defense will be much better. 

Agree the solution is quite simple in philosophy.  The OL needed AVT badly.  Mitchell is hopefully the RT going forward.  They do need a LT and that would seem to be priority #1 in the draft.  As of today they’re 13th in the draft order and if they lose to miami they could sneak into the top 10.  

MLF is an obvious target for blame and it’s hard to see them bringing in carr and keeping him too.  That could mean the end of saleh if he doubles down on MLF and then the offense sucks again with the same coordinator.  They would be wise to bring in an experienced offensive staff that can work with wilson while providing much needed stability to the unit. 

16 minutes ago, extmenace said:

What’s not to understand? The staff can’t afford to waste valuable draft capital on players that won’t help them save their jobs. 

What position is going to save their job? Who in this draft guarantees a playoff spot next season. That is the only thing that keeps everyone employed. We don't  make a playoff appearance  next year, all of them are on the bubble. This was a total collapse.  This team gave away multiple games this season. Therr was no excuse for losing both Pat games, the Lions, Jax, even yesterday.  Whoninbthe draft fixes that

Some

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What position is going to save their job? Who in this draft guarantees a playoff spot next season. That is the only thing that keeps everyone employed. We don't  make a playoff appearance  next year, all of them are on the bubble. This was a total collapse.  This team gave away multiple games this season. Therr was no excuse for losing both Pat games, the Lions, Jax, even yesterday.  Whoninbthe draft fixes that

Someone that actually steps on the field.  Not a second round rookie QB holding a clipboard 

15 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Ok, forst off there was no reset of Zach. Zach should  have never played again after NE. Also, I don't  think this team is so barren of talent. We have a lot of injuries.  They will all come back healthy. There are always WR #2 in the draft late or in FA. I'm not worried about replacing g Davis. He barely plays anyway and drops too many passes. We are ok at TE, we have a future stud at WR and RB. The skill positions are there except QB.