NFL urges owners to stop burning money by firing head coaches

doitny

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  if you commit to someone, let it play out.  Look at Arizona, they canned Wilkes after 1 year.  How the heck can you know anything about a regime in a year?  This takes time.  Wilkes is looking pretty good as head man in Carolina.

This board is a great example of "Fire Everyone right away" mentality.  its sad.

I agree to a point.

I think sometimes its warranted to wait it out and other times there is so much chaos behind the scenes that we don’t see that it‘s clear to move on.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But you are ignoring the massive cap hit.

Even if the Jets feel Zach is hopeless (I’m not convinced they do, but they certainly might), Douglas isn’t going to ignore the dead cap money. That arguably hurts the team a lot more than a single wasted roster spot. 

If the Jets are dead set on moving on from Zach, they will need to trade him. He’s not getting cut. I would let that fantasy go. 

A couple of things:

-It’s not that bad of a dead cap hit if you cut him post June 1st since you can spread into next year 

-Sunk cost fallacy example here. Instead of taking his roster spot and using it on another QB you are going to keep Zach just because you already paid him?

Has anyone tried offering these duffases something less than a 6-7 year fully guaranteed contracts? I'll bet a lot of these 'first time HC/GMs would sign a year-to-year deal just to get the job. Dead man walking for the first 2 seasons. THEN offer up a nice contract IF he/she pans out. Or a 7 yr contract becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the 3rd season.

17 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

A couple of things:

-It’s not that bad of a dead cap hit if you cut him post June 1st since you can spread into next year 

-Sunk cost fallacy example here. Instead of taking his roster spot and using it on another QB you are going to keep Zach just because you already paid him?

It all really depends on what the Jets really think of Zach Wilson going forward combined with what the cap hit really is (I actually don’t know). 

Either way, I maintain that a cut is probably a pipe dream. 

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree to a point.

I think sometimes its warranted to wait it out and other times there is so much chaos behind the scenes that we don’t see that it‘s clear to move on.

This....

I'm usually a proponent of giving the person you decided to hire a chance(otherwise why hire them?) but sometimes it's clear that the entire situation is a mess, like Urban Meyer and Nathaniel Hackett after a year and Adam Gase after 2 years.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Has anyone tried offering these duffases something less than a 6-7 year fully guaranteed contracts? I'll bet a lot of these 'first time HC/GMs would sign a year-to-year deal just to get the job. Dead man walking for the first 2 seasons. THEN offer up a nice contract IF he/she pans out. Or a 7 yr contract becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the 3rd season.

Yup. 

There's no point of giving out these long contracts for security sake if you're still gonna be canned after 2 years regardless.....Owners have no one to be mad at but themselves for having 2-3 head coaches on payroll at a time, but I do find it weird that the league has something to say about it....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Goodell over-reach in running the league is the real version of the “beware of big government” messaging I remember from the 80’s.

Goodell can’t understand why not every team is run like his patriots

Hey Roger, sorry but the other 31 teams didn’t luck out and have the GOAT QB fall in their laps at pick #199

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

But you are ignoring the massive cap hit.

Even if the Jets feel Zach is hopeless (I’m not convinced they do, but they certainly might), Douglas isn’t going to ignore the dead cap money. That arguably hurts the team a lot more than a single wasted roster spot. 

If the Jets are dead set on moving on from Zach, they will need to trade him. He’s not getting cut. I would let that fantasy go. 

The cap hit - dead or not-dead - is hitting the same total amount whether he's here or not. It isn't a greater amount or any type of additional penalty by cutting him (other than the additional amount his replacement costs, but a replacement QB3/PS QB is an insignificant amount that has no negative impact on team flexibility).

In the absence of a trade partner, it's all about the roster spot. If they don't think he's worth a spot - not just the active roster, but even the practice squad - then they dump the player & don't fret over guaranteed money they can't stop from hitting the cap anyway.

Keeping him costs the money and the roster spot. There's no noteworthy $ savings by keeping him instead of cutting him; only in trading him.

I do not advocate purely cutting him; I'm just saying this is how it works out on paper that there's not a savings by keeping him over cutting him.

• Upvote 1

With all the money teams throw away on coaches and quarterbacks, it always strikes me as nuts that they don’t invest in a minor league football apparatus. The WLAF obviously sucked ass, but it unearthed a lot of solid players—particularly QBs—and gave a bunch of coaches valuable experience. They get too hung up on ratings and attendance, etc, but if the NBA can carry the moribund WNBA, there’s no reason the owners can’t throw $50 million at the XFL (or the like) and let them be a farm program. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The cap hit - dead or not-dead - is hitting the same total amount whether he's here or not. It isn't a greater amount or any type of additional penalty by cutting him (other than the additional amount his replacement costs, but a replacement QB3/PS QB is an insignificant amount that has no negative impact on team flexibility).

In the absence of a trade partner, it's all about the roster spot. If they don't think he's worth a spot - not just the active roster, but even the practice squad - then they dump the player & don't fret over guaranteed money they can't stop from hitting the cap anyway.

Keeping him costs the money and the roster spot. There's no noteworthy $ savings by keeping him instead of cutting him; only in trading him.

I do not advocate purely cutting him; I'm just saying this is how it works out on paper that there's not a savings by keeping him over cutting him.

All true 

I guess we’ll find out soon if the stuff out there now about them wanting to develop him is even remotely true.  Hard to know what’s real. 

I still say he’s traded or he’s back. 

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So why not make coach contracts something less than fully guaranteed?  Saves everyone money if that’s what they care about most.

Not sure why that became the norm, but i would think that, once the cat is out of the bag, it’s hard to go back. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

All true 

I guess we’ll find out soon if the stuff out there now about them wanting to develop him is even remotely true.  Hard to know what’s real. 

I still say he’s traded or he’s back. 

I can't see any earthly possibility that he gets outright cut after his 2nd season. Not unless he had off-field indiscretions (e.g. arrests, suspensions, positive drug tests, etc.). Nobody's cutting him without a notable cap benefit.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

These multi year guaranteed contracts are the market.  Teams want them because if a coach is good they don’t want to get held up in 2-3 years and have to pay up.  The NFL appears to be saying they often backfire.  

Buy my skeptical suspicion is that this is about another agenda.   The coaches who may get fired could reduce the NFL’s diversity score