NFL urges owners to stop burning money by firing head coaches

doitny

found this interesting... article is from 2 weeks ago

The NFL sent a memo to its teams this week reminding them how much money they have wasted by firing coaches and executives over the past five years.

There has been a common refrain that the NFL is really short for “Not For Long”, which has become apt with the lack of patience teams have shown with their key hires in recent years. As more teams strive for relevance in a league where worst-to-first turnarounds happen frequently, coaches and executives have been getting fired in record time, a process that costs the NFL’s teams plenty of money.

The problem with firing these people early is that the teams are on the hook for their entire contracts since those deals are fully guaranteed, unlike most player deals. Hastiness is expensive, as the NFL reminded its teams in a memo this week, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

NFL teams have paid $800 million for early firings

The memo informed teams that they have paid $800 million for early firings over the past five years and included detailed spreadsheets breaking down how much each team has cost itself with a lack of patience. The firing trend has gone even earlier this season as Matt Rhule and Frank Reich were fired in-season, with Rhule still having four years left on his seven-year, $60 million contract with the Carolina Panthers.

Another prominent team paying through the nose for its lack of patience is the New York Giants, who are paying the salaries of three head coaches through next season after firing both Pat Shurmur and Joe Judge two years into five-year contracts. The report also covers front office executives with Tennessee paying former GM Jon Robinson for four more years after firing him in November, just months after he signed a contract extension.

It appears that the league is trying to encourage its teams to implore patience with their hires to avoid wasting over a billion dollars paying people not to work. Time will tell if NFL owners will take the league’s findings into account when Black Monday arrives.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  if you commit to someone, let it play out.  Look at Arizona, they canned Wilkes after 1 year.  How the heck can you know anything about a regime in a year?  This takes time.  Wilkes is looking pretty good as head man in Carolina.

This board is a great example of "Fire Everyone right away" mentality.  its sad.

It worked out for the Giants. Sometimes in life the opportunity presents itself to upgrade. Carpe diem. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

It worked out for the Giants. Sometimes in life the opportunity presents itself to upgrade. Carpe diem. 

Its exactly why Zach Wilson should be on the roster for the next 2 years.  I am not saying we shouldnt draft another qb or bring in a vet to compete, but there is no reason to cut ties with Zach.

Does he stink right now, absolutely.  Does that mean he will stink in 2024?  Absolutely not.  

Lets develop the kid behind the scenes and see if he can become something over the next 2 years.

Patience fellas.  Its happening for this franchise soon!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 3

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its exactly why Zach Wilson shouldn't be on the roster for the next 2 years.  I am not saying we shouldn't draft another qb or bring in a vet to compete, but there is no reason to cut ties with Zach.

Does he stink right now, absolutely.  Does that mean he will stink in 2024?  Absolutely.  

Lets develop the kid behind the scenes and see if he can become worse over the next 2 years.

FIXED

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  if you commit to someone, let it play out.  Look at Arizona, they canned Wilkes after 1 year.  How the heck can you know anything about a regime in a year?  This takes time.  Wilkes is looking pretty good as head man in Carolina.

This board is a great example of "Fire Everyone right away" mentality.  its sad.

But look at the giants. In one year after finding a competent coach they’re in the playoffs with less talent than the Jets.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, BP said:

Why is the NFL saying anything about this? They should stfu. It’s not like the owners are going broke over it.

I can be head coach of the Jets:

1)incompetent (I can do that)

2)Denial (I can do that)

3)No accountability (I can do that)

4)fist and chest bumps (I can do that)

Guaranteed millions of dollars after being fired after my first season. But knowing the Jets, they’ll give me a vote of confidence to build on for the next year. I got this!

I can fail at all of that better than you I bet. :)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I can fail at all of that better than you I bet. :)

830 tee time this morning. I’m playing a money game at the Fazio Course in Barefoot Resort. I haven’t touched a club in 3 weeks (just got back from Long Island).

I brought my 4 hybrid and 8 iron up north in case I had the chance to hit balls, and I just realized I forgot to bring them back home with me. 

This should go well… ?

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Have we been wrong? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

The NFL sent a memo to its teams this week reminding them how much money they have wasted by firing coaches and executives over the past five years.

There has been a common refrain that the NFL is really short for “Not For Long”, which has become apt with the lack of patience teams have shown with their key hires in recent years. As more teams strive for relevance in a league where worst-to-first turnarounds happen frequently, coaches and executives have been getting fired in record time, a process that costs the NFL’s teams plenty of money.

The problem with firing these people early is that the teams are on the hook for their entire contracts since those deals are fully guaranteed, unlike most player deals. Hastiness is expensive, as the NFL reminded its teams in a memo this week, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

The memo informed teams that they have paid $800 million for early firings over the past five years and included detailed spreadsheets breaking down how much each team has cost itself with a lack of patience. The firing trend has gone even earlier this season as Matt Rhule and Frank Reich were fired in-season, with Rhule still having four years left on his seven-year, $60 million contract with the Carolina Panthers.

Another prominent team paying through the nose for its lack of patience is the New York Giants, who are paying the salaries of three head coaches through next season after firing both Pat Shurmur and Joe Judge two years into five-year contracts. The report also covers front office executives with Tennessee paying former GM Jon Robinson for four more years after firing him in November, just months after he signed a contract extension.

It appears that the league is trying to encourage its teams to implore patience with their hires to avoid wasting over a billion dollars paying people not to work. Time will tell if NFL owners will take the league’s findings into account when Black Monday arrives.

Says the league who chases the most money televised rights and brought arguably the worst product possible to Amazon prime while shutting out those who don’t or can’t subscribe.

it is basically our culture- gotta blame someone because there is no accountability

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

830 tee time this morning. I’m playing a money game at the Fazio Course in Barefoot Resort. I haven’t touched a club in 3 weeks (just got back from Long Island).

I brought my 4 hybrid and 8 iron up north in case I had the chance to hit balls, and I just realized I forgot to bring them back home with me. 

This should go well… ?

Me too. 9am this morning    5 rounds in a row under 83 and yesterday shoot a friggin 90.  So frustrating this game.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, doitny said:

This is a not so subtle message to Woody Johnson who is an owner in the largest media market in the world. 

Ummm IMO few if any truly care what happens coaching wise in a place like Carolina and I for one follow the team!

• Upvote 1

8 hundred million over 32 teams over 5 years, about 5 million per team.

Almost every NFL team carries more dead cap space than that for some guard who sucks.

My question, if a head coach is so important, why do good ones make so much less than the players? 

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its exactly why Zach Wilson should be on the roster for the next 2 years.  I am not saying we shouldnt draft another qb or bring in a vet to compete, but there is no reason to cut ties with Zach.

Does he stink right now, absolutely.  Does that mean he will stink in 2024?  Absolutely not.  

Lets develop the kid behind the scenes and see if he can become something over the next 2 years.

I’m starting to agree with this line of thinking regarding Zach. His value in a trade is nil so why not put him in the bench next year. It doesn’t really hurt the team. Bring in a veteran to start, draft a QB and away we go. 

11 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’m starting to agree with this line of thinking regarding Zach. His value in a trade is nil so why not put him in the bench next year. It doesn’t really hurt the team. Bring in a veteran to start, draft a QB and away we go. 

Because he’s a waste of a roster space. I don’t even want him as a backup QB, and I’d prefer a rookie to be that developmental third stringer. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, doitny said:

Im Rich Make It Rain GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Because he’s a waste of a roster space. I don’t even want him as a backup QB, and I’d prefer a rookie to be that developmental third stringer. 

But you are ignoring the massive cap hit.

Even if the Jets feel Zach is hopeless (I’m not convinced they do, but they certainly might), Douglas isn’t going to ignore the dead cap money. That arguably hurts the team a lot more than a single wasted roster spot. 

If the Jets are dead set on moving on from Zach, they will need to trade him. He’s not getting cut. I would let that fantasy go.