Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Includes ’23 and ’24 Round 2 Picks, Deal Held up Over Protection if Rodgers Walks After Season

2 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

With GB wanting / needing to move on b/c of $, the situation w/ Jordan Love, etc., NY should just offer enough comp. that when the time comes for GB to pay AR, that's when they'll feel the pressure to accept the offer. Right now, GB is trying to get the most it can while the time to pay up is distant. We need to be patient and not get caught up w/ every whim. 

Since this is a game, like poker, and not real life (where we are called to love one another as ourselves), NY is not obligated to give a good deal to GB. JD is paid to get the best deals for the Jets. I think it would work out if NY just waited it out, if need be, till GB feels the pressure to pay A. Rodgers. I wouldn't even offer any 2nd rounders. (Okay, maybe the possibility of a 2nd rounder on condition of winning the Super Bowl) I would also, now, sign a vet QB at base $ w/ conditional comp. who can start the season if need be, but willing to back up if/when AR joins.

Both teams want this resolved sooner rather than later.

Makes no difference really to us? Could argue waiting helps us bc we’d have 3 very valuable picks. But it also hurts us potentially FA wise as well as getting on the same page with WRs and such. Also have to assume Hackett’s system and game plan isn’t the same regardless of who’s at QB. So having that well thought out would help too.

For GB Gute just said yesterday they’d rather the trade sooner rather than later. That they’d rather draft capital this year rather than next.

So I don’t se ethics thing going past the draft. Seems like the trade is nearly complete just each GM trying to holdout for small things to look better to the fan base. I’d like to hope they walk away back to NJ and WIS after tomorrow with a deal done. And can announce it maybe later this week.

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Another made up story or some clarity in regards to the Jets attempts to land quarterback Aaron Rodgers?  We’ll find out in time, but as of this moment it is being reported by Yahoo! sports that the Jets and Packers have agreed on a swap that would send one of the Jets two first-round picks this season and another next year to the Packers in exchange for Rodgers.  So what’s the hold up cited in the report?

Adam Schefter earlier today said the #Packers want a first-round pick and more for Aaron Rodgers. Talks have stalled.https://t.co/wbW6HEzULy

— Bill Huber (@BillHuberNFL) March 23, 2023

With the Jets preparing to take on Rodgers and his albatross of a contract, Joe Douglas is hoping to minimize the impact of Rodgers likely walking away after one season by asking for a pick in return if Rodgers should bail after this season.

The Packers, likely less than thrilled to be moving Rodgers without getting a first-round pick in return, are likely giving some push back on the Jets demands.  It was reported just days ago by NFL insider Adam Schefter that the Packers were looking to get a first round choice “and more”.  If the Pack feel as if they’re settling for a pair of two’s, they may be less likely to guarantee a pick back to the Jets.

The post Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Includes ’23 and ’24 Round 2 Picks, Deal Held up Over Protection if Rodgers Walks After Season appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

My soureces say that Jets have stood on thier deals offered on the table and even it remains a condition3rd/4th rounder offer for Rogers with Greeen bay eating some of the contract...so not sure what the hell they are talking about. 

Green bay still has dreams of 1st and 2nd rounders which is crazy. Come draft day Joe will keep all his picks but will probably reach out to them in the 4th round.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

My soureces say that Jets have stood on thier deals offered on the table and even it remains a condition3rd/4th rounder offer for Rogers with Greeen bay eating some of the contract...so not sure what the hell they are talking about. 

Green bay still has dreams of 1st and 2nd rounders which is crazy. Come draft day Joe will keep all his picks but will probably reach out to them in the 4th round.

Seems unrealistic 

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Really can’t see all 3 OTs gone by 13 with so many QBs going before then. 

I know for many it's a concern because it's the position they have targeted, but there are so many who play other positions projected ahead of us, and of the remaining who don't draft a QB, CB, or EDGE how many of the remaining ~5 teams are specifically targeting an OT above all else? I'm sure it won't be zero, but it seems unlikely it's going to be 3.

This isn't my thing, but I haven't seen a single mock from anyone that has 3 OTs getting drafted in the top 12.

Most likely spots are just Chicago (9) and/or Tennessee (11) but even that presumes neither team trades back behind us. Also I give it 50/50 that Douglas will trade back from #13 anyway after surrendering a day-2 pick this year & next (and possibly a 1st next year). 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know for many it's a concern because it's the position they have targeted, but there are so many who play other positions projected ahead of us, and of the remaining who don't draft a QB, CB, or EDGE how many of the remaining ~5 teams are specifically targeting an OT above all else? I'm sure it won't be zero, but it seems unlikely it's going to be 3.

This isn't my thing, but I haven't seen a single mock from anyone that has 3 OTs getting drafted in the top 12.

Most likely spots are just Chicago (9) and/or Tennessee (11) but even that presumes neither team trades back behind us. Also I give it 50/50 that Douglas will trade back from #13 anyway after surrendering a day-2 pick this year & next (and possibly a 1st next year). 

In an ideal world… 2 of the top OTs are there at 13. We trade back a bit and can add a 2nd and still get one of them. Optimistic. But not far fetched. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

There will be a good player there for the jets at 13 even if we get unlucky and there is a run on the OT.s

It's a little early, but you can make a good guess at the players that will absolutely go before our pick.

Stroud, Young, Richardson, Levis (probably all 4, almost certainly at least 3), Anderson, Carter, Gonzalez, Wilson, Van Ness, Robinson.  That's 10 so assume at least 9 of them are gone. That leaves just 3 more picks before we go.  I'd say the odds are very good we get one of the big 3.  If not we will have our choice of any of the WRs in a pretty good trade-down situation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I believe Wirfs and Willis, Thomas & Becton were equally regarded as Top tier Tackles.

Eh they were all kind of different. Thomas was supposed to be the highest floor guy and pretty safe, Wills was my personal favorite but I don’t believe played LT in college because tua was a lefts and he played his blindside, Wirfs was considered a high upside guard who could play RT. It didn’t have the length to play LT, Becton was the boom or bust guy. Crazy high ceiling but not a lot of passing reps at LT. I think he only played LT for a year or so too 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’ll miss out on the TOP rated OTs and will be selecting from the 2nd tier. Being overly sensitive is your blind spot

Sensitive? Why would this be something to be sensitive about? Your reply made no sense. I said top OT, edge or C.

Everyone and their brother has a top-5 at every position… so, you’re saying that by pick 23 there will be 5 tackles, 5 edges and 5 centers taken? 

Or, are we going to play the top vs. good game here, while you simultaneous insist you’re not arguing semantics?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

If 2 seconds ends up being the cost for Rodgers, I'm fine with that but I think JD can get a better deal post draft.

Gute pretty much made it clear yesterday he wants a trade done pre draft and done sooner rather than later.

Most of the board was ecstatic at getting Rodgers.  Now that it looks like they will, everyone is complaining that they have to give up #2 picks.  The Jets had a preliminary discussion on compensation before Green Bay gave them permission to talk to Rodgers.  If you were Green Bay, would you have granted permission if you were getting a 4th round pick?  Rodgers was retiring so they were off the hook for his ongoing salary.  The cap hit was the dead money.  They have that cost anyway.

I thought most on this board were pretty knowledgeable about what it costs to get a franchise QB.  The cap implications were clearly laid out.  

It costs tons to get a franchise QB.  Whoever trades for Lamar Jackson will surrender two #1 picks and then sign him to a long term deal FULLY GUARANTEED.  Mahomes got a $477MM deal.

Does anyone think Jackson is anywhere near the QB Rodgers is?  He is a great runner but a mediocre passer.

A #2 pick is fine for a 1 year run at a championship and cushion to find a long term solution.  The second pick should be contingent on Rodgers playing the second year.  If he gives us a solid contender for two years, I won't care about the #2 picks.

This franchise is the worst in the game for the last 10 years.  If we get two deep playoff runs, it will be worth it and more.

2 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Most of the board was ecstatic at getting Rodgers.  Now that it looks like they will, everyone is complaining that they have to give up #2 picks.  The Jets had a preliminary discussion on compensation before Green Bay gave them permission to talk to Rodgers.  If you were Green Bay, would you have granted permission if you were getting a 4th round pick?  Rodgers was retiring so they were off the hook for his ongoing salary.  The cap hit was the dead money.  They have that cost anyway.

I thought most on this board were pretty knowledgeable about what it costs to get a franchise QB.  The cap implications were clearly laid out.  

It costs tons to get a franchise QB.  Whoever trades for Lamar Jackson will surrender two #1 picks and then sign him to a long term deal FULLY GUARANTEED.  Mahomes got a $477MM deal.

Does anyone think Jackson is anywhere near the QB Rodgers is?  He is a great runner but a mediocre passer.

A #2 pick is fine for a 1 year run at a championship and cushion to find a long term solution.  The second pick should be contingent on Rodgers playing the second year.  If he gives us a solid contender for two years, I won't care about the #2 picks.

This franchise is the worst in the game for the last 10 years.  If we get two deep playoff runs, it will be worth it and more.

You can’t have the 2023 2nd part of the deal and then skip a whole draft. GB isn’t going for that. We give them 43 this year and then a pick contingent on AR playing in 2024 can’t be comped until 2025 draft.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Everyone and their brother has a top-5 at every position… so, you’re saying that by pick 23 there will be 5 tackles, 5 edges and 5 centers taken? 

You are still the same after all these years…. if someone does not agree with you, you keep escalating. I made a lighthearted correction and you keep having to prove your post was beyond criticism.

In trading back into the 20-23 range, like you suggested, I merely stated that the plug-n-play OTs would be gone. That is our greatest need IMO. Especially with Brown on last year, Becton 5th year questionable and Mitchell health concerns. EDGE will not be selected until 4th/5th if at all. Top 2 Centers are expected to go early to mid-2nd

Deal with it… I have an opinion & so do you. 

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You are still the same after all these years…. if someone does not agree with you, you keep escalating. I made a lighthearted correction and you keep having to prove your post was beyond criticism.

In trading back into the 20-23 range, like you suggested, I merely stated that the plug-n-play OTs would be gone. That is our greatest need IMO. Especially with Brown on last year, Becton 5th year questionable and Mitchell health concerns. EDGE will not be selected until 4th/5th if at all. Top 2 Centers are expected to go early to mid-2nd

They are almost no plug and play tackles. In most cases it takes a year for them to get to that level.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rldev said:

They are almost no plug and play tackles. In most cases it takes a year for them to get to that level.

They come out of college dominant… what they do against top level DL in the NFL you have no control over. See Becton. Wirfs did well, Thomas took a year. I’d also add that’s why drafting 1this year has them ready halfway through the season when injuries happen.

Edited by 32EBoozer

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s really not an escalation to call a semantic argument what it is. If you want to defend your point, do so. Not sure why you keep making character attacks. Seems a little petty given how trivial this conversation is.

I think what you said and what you meant are different things. If you’d said the bold, I’d have understood. No argument. Unfortunately, I’m too used to petty, intellectually dishonest arguments here… what you said came across as that.

It’s not even about opinions. You just failed to communicate your point.

Anyhow, I don’t think the Jets put a rookie LT on Rodgers blindside… so I don’t believe a plug-and-play LT is necessary. Brown is coming back. I also think they go get another vet on a 1-year deal for LT.

Pick 20-23 keeps us in range for one of the natural RT, top 2 OG, top 2 C… all of which give us great OL dexterity as we reshape it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetfan40yrs said:

As an addendum, if GB is hesitant at the time they have to pay AR, JD can just sweeten the offer slightly (nothing in the 2's or 1's) that can draw GB enough to accept.

Agreed.  If Jets hold out until Sept, GB will likely accept whatever is offered.  The risk to the Jets is if another team's QB gets injured and decide to go after Rodgers.  Then Jets are stuck with Wilson and front office gets fired.  Deal is going to get done before the draft.  Cost will be a 2 in 2023 and a 2 in 2024.  This is first round equivalent which was what GB was looking for.

As an addendum, if GB is hesitant at the time they have to pay AR, JD can just sweeten the offer slightly (nothing in the 2's or 1's) that can draw GB enough to accept.

Agreed.  If Jets hold out until Sept, GB will likely accept whatever is offered.  The risk to the Jets is if another team's QB gets injured and decide to go after Rodgers.  Then Jets are stuck with Wilson and front office gets fired.  Deal is going to get done before the draft.  Cost will be a 2 in 2023 and a 2 in 2024.  This is first round equivalent which was what GB was looking for.