Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Includes ’23 and ’24 Round 2 Picks, Deal Held up Over Protection if Rodgers Walks After Season

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Another made up story or some clarity in regards to the Jets attempts to land quarterback Aaron Rodgers?  We’ll find out in time, but as of this moment it is being reported by Yahoo! sports that the Jets and Packers have agreed on a swap that would send one of the Jets two first-round picks this season and another next year to the Packers in exchange for Rodgers.  So what’s the hold up cited in the report?

Adam Schefter earlier today said the #Packers want a first-round pick and more for Aaron Rodgers. Talks have stalled.https://t.co/wbW6HEzULy

— Bill Huber (@BillHuberNFL) March 23, 2023

With the Jets preparing to take on Rodgers and his albatross of a contract, Joe Douglas is hoping to minimize the impact of Rodgers likely walking away after one season by asking for a pick in return if Rodgers should bail after this season.

The Packers, likely less than thrilled to be moving Rodgers without getting a first-round pick in return, are likely giving some push back on the Jets demands.  It was reported just days ago by NFL insider Adam Schefter that the Packers were looking to get a first round choice “and more”.  If the Pack feel as if they’re settling for a pair of two’s, they may be less likely to guarantee a pick back to the Jets.

The post Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Includes ’23 and ’24 Round 2 Picks, Deal Held up Over Protection if Rodgers Walks After Season appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Another made up story or some clarity in regards to the Jets attempts to land quarterback Aaron Rodgers?  We’ll find out in time, but as of this moment it is being reported by Yahoo! sports that the Jets and Packers have agreed on a swap that would send one of the Jets two first-round picks this season and another next year to the Packers in exchange for Rodgers.  So what’s the hold up cited in the report?

two first round picks?  Typo

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think the article meant to say 2nd round not 1st.

Yes, 2- 2nd round picks.  Next years 2nd round pick could escalate to a 1st round pick under certain conditions.  Pretty much what I proposed in my thread that got merged.

• Ugh 1

14 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Pay two seconds in a NY minute.  Next years should be a late pick anyway. Just don’t agree to it going to a 1st unless a Super Bowl win.  

Yeah I'd prefer that, too - or even a SB appearance - but no one's going to go for that. Only time you'll see that is for individual QBs' incentive bonuses if they're SB MVP or something.

If they reach the AFCCG with him the trade did what it was supposed to. Beyond that, those games have been so close so late, and at that point you remember it's not a 1-on-1 sport. The Packers can't be responsible for the Jets' D collapsing...I guess, lol. 

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A 1-2 year rental at QB to sell tickets is so NY Jets when will we get long term franchise QB who will win Super Bowls like Mahomes …. I wanted to draft him ….

While I totally agree with this, we will all be smiling once we see how efficient our offense will be with a professional QB under center. It will look like night and day - for the short term anyway, and as long as they protect him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

#13 is enough to allow us to recoup anything we spend here. I’m good with it - especially if we trade back.

Trade back to 20-23, pick up a 2024 1st and we’re good. Can still land a top OT, EDGE or C.

This is where we have no clue. Maybe we love Darnell Wright. And know we can have him perhaps with 42. So they’re ok moving back from 13 to get picks back. Maybe putting us in that late 1st area perfect for JMS. Who knows.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is where we have no clue. Maybe we love Darnell Wright. And know we can have him perhaps with 42. So they’re ok moving back from 13 to get picks back. Maybe putting us in that late 1st area perfect for JMS. Who knows.

Exactly we have no clue what their board will look like or how the top ten will play out....they aren't blindly moving back to recoup what will be a late round 1 or 2 when we have seen them move up in the draft multiple times to go get their guy....people who lose their minds over 1 draft pick are hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

#13 is enough to allow us to recoup anything we spend here. I’m good with it - especially if we trade back.

Trade back to 20-23, pick up a 2024 1st and we’re good. Can still land a top OT, EDGE or C.

Plus, the Jets are awful with 2nd round picks. Like disgraceful.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

This would be a terrible deal...Two things:

1) If Douglas makes a trade like this it is completely contrary to everything he's done and preached for four years.  The four year rebuild he was pitching about "doing things the right way" would have been a complete and utter waste of three years.  Just a disaster.

I get he missed on the QB - but he shouldn't be throwing everything away because of it.  Negotiating against ourselves is a traditional Jet move - but I thought JD was better than that.

2) With that said - this has Woody written all over it - and It's completely out of JD's hands.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

With GB wanting / needing to move on b/c of $, the situation w/ Jordan Love, etc., NY should just offer enough comp. that when the time comes for GB to pay AR, that's when they'll feel the pressure to accept the offer. Right now, GB is trying to get the most it can while the time to pay up is distant. We need to be patient and not get caught up w/ every whim. 

Since this is a game, like poker, and not real life (where we are called to love one another as ourselves), NY is not obligated to give a good deal to GB. JD is paid to get the best deals for the Jets. I think it would work out if NY just waited it out, if need be, till GB feels the pressure to pay A. Rodgers. I wouldn't even offer any 2nd rounders. (Okay, maybe the possibility of a 2nd rounder on condition of winning the Super Bowl) I would also, now, sign a vet QB at base $ w/ conditional comp. who can start the season if need be, but willing to back up if/when AR joins.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

With GB wanting / needing to move on b/c of $, the situation w/ Jordan Love, etc., NY should just offer enough comp. that when the time comes for GB to pay AR, that's when they'll feel the pressure to accept the offer. Right now, GB is trying to get the most it can while the time to pay up is distant. We need to be patient and not get caught up w/ every whim. 

Since this is a game, like poker, and not real life (where we are called to love one another as ourselves), NY is not obligated to give a good deal to GB. JD is paid to get the best deals for the Jets. I think it would work out if NY just waited it out, if need be, till GB feels the pressure to pay A. Rodgers. I wouldn't even offer any 2nd rounders. (Okay, maybe the possibility of a 2nd rounder on condition of winning the Super Bowl) I would also, now, sign a vet QB at base $ w/ conditional comp. who can start the season if need be, but willing to back up if/when AR joins.

As an addendum, if GB is hesitant at the time they have to pay AR, JD can just sweeten the offer slightly (nothing in the 2's or 1's) that can draw GB enough to accept.

• Upvote 1