Curtis Martin--One Too Many? by Frank Barone :Front Page

TomShane

Nice article faba.

I am actually not worried about The Jets RB situation in 2005.

They have a very good RB in Martin, a very good backup in Blaylock and a good FB in Sowell. It's not an area that I am concerned with. I am comfortable with that area. Jets are strong here.

In a perfect world, Lamont Jordan is The Jets feature back in 2005 and Curtis Martin is The Browns or Cowboys starting RB.

But there is no way you could have cut or traded Martin because of his salary,.When you are a star RB, You get paid star money.

The Jordan issue is dead because there was no way to keep him here. You can't franchise backup RB's and pay them 6.5 million dollars a year. That's cap and team suicide.

I had the name first though -I should get royalties from my name being used on that show!

The article was actually a colloboration of myself and Tom Shane- everything good about it is my work -the parts that stink are his!

Nice article faba.

I am actually not worried about The Jets RB situation in 2005.

They have a very good RB in Martin, a very good backup in Blaylock and a good FB in Sowell. It's not an area that I am concerned with. I am comfortable with that area. Jets are strong here.

In a perfect world, Lamont Jordan is The Jets feature back in 2005 and Curtis Martin is The Browns or Cowboys starting RB.

But there is no way you could have cut or traded Martin because of his salary,.When you are a star RB, You get paid star money.

The Jordan issue is dead because there was no way to keep him here. You can't franchise backup RB's and pay them 6.5 million dollars a year. That's cap and team suicide.

I agree with your Post YJF..But though none of us

Fans will miss Hackett Martin surely will! The new

OC is about scoring points not padding stats! And

like my Old Vette 327 engine..It ran great right

before it blew Sky high..I see the same possibility

happening to Martin! 4.1 lifetime avg?? Whoppie Doo!

Career TD avg 8.5 and that only because of his first

2 14 tds yrs with the Pats..With the Jets his avg is 7.5!

Priest Holmes has avg 17 a year as a starter and has

never had less then a 4.4 avg and in 02 had a 5.2

carry avg!Will Holmes make the HOF?? Absolutly Not!

Like the Martinette's say..It not important to score

TD's it's about how long you last!! That's why to

them Bo Jackson couldn't carry Martins jock!! I had

a mailman once that was slow as crap but was always

there in rain sleet and snow and never dropped his

Mail Bag..I suppose he's in the Mailman HOF!!

... let me first say i thought it was a nice read, but ...

... i disagree with the statement that we've seen lamont get 25-30 carries to prove himself ... the only time that we ever saw him get anything above about 5 carries was the 2002 playoff game against indy

NEW YORK: L. Jordan 20-102 , C. Martin 15-67

... nobody loves this guy more than i do, but it was in the best interest for the n.y. jets to let him go ... we had already paid c-mart star rb $$ and it is just a fact in the salary cap nfl that you can not keep everyone you'd like to. i believe that l-j very likely will prove to be an amazing starting rb for the raiders next year, but we already have one of those ...

... blaylock is a very solid choice as backup hb ... the FO did a heck of a job in their choices here ... the $$ needs to be available for abe & a veteran OT (ala pete kendall) as teams make cuts going forward ... we also still need a TE & help at SS & CB ... these are the positions that our money needs to be invested ...

... i love that photo of c-mart in the cincy game ... it just shows all he is about:

... grit ... determination ... courage ... smarts ... heart =D> ... wow ... i love that guy ...

we have been very fortunate to have him as our team leader since parcells did whatever it took to get him over here ... he is the very definition of a PROFESSIONAL football player ... l-j is going to benefit HUGE from the influence & example that curtis has shown him ...

... there is no greater reason to think that curtis will get hurt more than any other starting rb... it is a violent position and all rb have some inherent risk of injury based on the position ... other than the injury in college that you pointed out ... he has been durable to the point of absurdity ... anything possible to fight through he has shown he WILL fight through it ...

... i don't see any reason why curtis won't last through the next two seasons (one if a championship is reached this coming season) ... if anyone deserves to lead his team to the promised land it is curtis...

... i believe there is a powerful, omniscient, benign God ... i believe curtis is a shining example of what man in the nfl can strive for to portray our species in a shining light to that God ... i believe these are not mutually exclusive statements ...

:-k#-o ... wow ! ... let me get off my soapbox ... lost my mind for a sec ...

l_j_r

Frank Barone, huh?

notice how every writer uses their real name expect that putz Tex who insists on still hiding behind his dumb screen name??? :^o

If your name was Ben Dover you would hide it as well.

I agree with your Post YJF..But though none of us

Fans will miss Hackett Martin surely will! The new

OC is about scoring points not padding stats! And

like my Old Vette 327 engine..It ran great right

before it blew Sky high..I see the same possibility

happening to Martin! 4.1 lifetime avg?? Whoppie Doo!

Career TD avg 8.5 and that only because of his first

2 14 tds yrs with the Pats..With the Jets his avg is 7.5!

Priest Holmes has avg 17 a year as a starter and has

never had less then a 4.4 avg and in 02 had a 5.2

carry avg!Will Holmes make the HOF?? Absolutly Not!

Like the Martinette's say..It not important to score

TD's it's about how long you last!! That's why to

them Bo Jackson couldn't carry Martins jock!! I had

a mailman once that was slow as crap but was always

there in rain sleet and snow and never dropped his

Mail Bag..I suppose he's in the Mailman HOF!!

GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gifrofl2.gif

Another bash of one of the greatest RB's to ever play the game. Watch him run for around 1400 and shut your mouths up again.

And the only reason why he drops in yardgage this year is because Heimerdinger is a pass happy guy.

I wish Jordan well and all that, but we did the right thing. He hasn't been given many carroies, but to demand a high price when you haven't been proven yet isn't gonna cut it. I know that Curtis is getting up there, but his performance every year is the reason why he remains featured. He may not be the fastest or the biggest, but he's durable and strong. Hardly misses a game, hardly any fumbles, and runs with heart. It may sound sappy and all but i'd take his preparation, dedication, heart, and endurance anyday. And Im a lil bias cause I love him.... ::wub ..so what...lol

This article if I was not clear in it was again not a bashing of Curtis- I praise him in the article-the point that I am trying to get across is there is potential danger to rely on a running back at 32 years old and the number of years he has in the league no matter how great he has been and the risk involved to this team.

I am certainly hoping my fears are not justified!

curtis has been a warrior for the jets and a true class act since he got here. the problem as pointed out in the article is that curtis can't break away and is having more and more trouble breaking any kind of tackles. in 2004 he went down much too easily for a feature back.

my biggest concern for the '05 offense (besides chad's shoulder) is the lack of big plays. coles, while an upgrade to moss doesn't posess the same big play ability. curtis with another year on old legs, no lamont, no big play te, and no other speed receivers.

you can only have so many 15 play 80 yard drives in a game. at some point you need big plays. especially against the defenses of the pats and steelers.

Good point Fo Block. Fortunatley, Dinger's offense sends multiple receivers long, so we'll get big plays that way.

And let me apologize to Faba a bit. Faba wrote all the praise of Martin and I included the Lamont Jordan stuff and didn't note it. My bad!

Jets fans will not get over it.

When Jordan is rushing up a storm in Oakland. There will be Jets fans saying "We should have kept Jordan"

There's no way, Jordan could have stayed. NO WAY.

But who cares about the facts. Get the cheese and wine ready. There's going to be alot of whining in Jets land.

Martin could rush for 1,400 yards next season but if Jordan runs for 1,500. Everybody in Jets land is going to lose their minds. "See I told you Jordan was better than Martin"

That will be the pointless theme in Jets land.

Another bash of one of the greatest RB's to ever play the game. Watch him run for around 1400 and shut your mouths up again.

And the only reason why he drops in yardgage this year is because Heimerdinger is a pass happy guy.

The Truth is never a Bash 124!!What Curtis does best

is last!!He's been lucky to have both Tuna and Hackett

for all his career!! What makes him great.. as I have

always said is his Great Durability and Longevity!

He's not a Back like too many to mention,that makes

you sit up and say Wow what a run!!

Savage, you're right. Except for that 24-yard TD run against the Bengals in week 1, it has been a long time since Curtis Martin has made my jaw drop with an incredible run.

Without beating this dead horse any further, I would just say that the bottom line is we are lucky to have had Curtis for so long, but at his age, we should not be saying that LaMont Jordan won't be missed. By this time next season, if we haven't done so already, we had better be looking for our future franchise RB.

sign23.gif...martin.gif

First off, very nice job faba.

Secondly, I did not read that to be a bash on CuMar. Just look at the stats of all RB's in the NFL starting a season at his age.

Could he run for 1,400 yards next season? Sure, but the odds and NFL history are not on his side. That should not be taken as a "bash" of Martin.

I wouldn't consider Dinger as a "pass happy" OC. He was not tossing the ball 50 times a game in Tennesee. He'll strive for a 55/45 play mix and the closer he comes to that, the more successful the Jets offense will be. :wink:

sign23.gif...martin.gif

What have you become a mute lately 13?? Leading

Rusher if you give him more carries then anyone

else yes!! =D> Put him on a equal basis or a Big

Game and he's Dog Doo Doo!!Hell Holmes had more

TD's playing in 8 games last year..And BTW points

count in the NFL.. :wink:

i think it was gj&ham that had a long post about building a winning franchise. one of his key points was avoiding sentimentality when makign key decisions. what would the pats have done in the same situation? my guess, lamont would have been the '04 starter coming off a 6-10 '03.

they make tough decisions that always seem to work out. yes curtis has an immovable contract but lamont not getting carries was inexcusable.

i think it was gj&ham that had a long post about building a winning franchise. one of his key points was avoiding sentimentality when makign key decisions. what would the pats have done in the same situation? my guess, lamont would have been the '04 starter coming off a 6-10 '03.

they make tough decisions that always seem to work out. yes curtis has an immovable contract but lamont not getting carries was inexcusable.

You seem to get it..I know Ham always did! In 03

in the month of Dec with the Jets out of the Play

offs Jordan got 1 carry and Martin 125!! Why not

give Jordan a start?? Wonder why he came in this

last season pissed off?? Jordan had to go Money

wise of course! But not if Martins contract wasn't

extended when he was 29!!Martinette's have no

problem with a 32 year old Back..I do! :roll:

What have you become a mute lately 13?? Leading

Rusher if you give him more carries then anyone

else yes!! =D> Put him on a equal basis or a Big

Game and he's Dog Doo Doo!!Hell Holmes had more

TD's playing in 8 games last year..And BTW points

count in the NFL.. :wink:

you love stats savage, how many 20 yard or more runs does martin average a year? i'll try & look up holmes.

The Jets keeping Martin has nothing to do with "sentimentality". Martin's level of production is at an extremely high level. This isn't Troy Brown or Wayne Chrebet. Martin is a big time producer. Always has been.

Pats wouldn't have been able to cut him either. Why would you cut Curtis Martin? That would be so foolish. It's a meaningless point because The Jets can't cut or trade Martin at this point.

I got news for everybody. There are no guarantees that Lamont Jordan will able to produce like Martin has. I expect him to be a beast in Oakland but what if he isn't.

There's a huge difference between being the man and carrying the ball 300 times a year and coming into a game fresh and getting the ball a couple of times.

To run at 4.6 yards a clip when every team is keying in on you and you have over 300 touches is a tremendous stat. Anything over 4 yards a run is impreesive once you reach 300 carries.

you love stats savage, how many 20 yard or more runs does martin average a year? i'll try & look up holmes.

If the Runs don't end up in scores Teams don't

Win!! How many points did the Offense score vs

Pitt or the Pats?? Look that up while you at it..

Come to think of it..Martin had 5 runs over 20 and

Holmes only had 3..Don't let the fact he played

half a season take away from a Martin +2 Win!! =D>

I got news for everybody. There are no guarantees that Lamont Jordan will able to produce like Martin has. I expect him to be a beast in Oakland but what if he isn't.

that is my point exactly. nobody knows what lamont can do. the jets were in prime position to find out and make a more educated decision during the offseason.

coming off 6-10 with nothing to lose and a cupcake first 5 or 6 games they should have given jordan the damn ball. if he can't carry the load then you have an easy off-season decision to let him walk. if he excels and turns out to be the stud everyone thought he would be then you can work out a l/t deal with abe and franchise lamont. or just let abe walk. the problem is that we never found out what the kid could do in all the time he was a jet, coming off a wasted '03 season that is totally inexcusable.

mark it down

Martins YPC will go UP in 2005 from 2004.

Dinger knows how to spring backs for long runs, hackett simply did not!

Combine that with a more downfield passing game, curtis will see less 8 men in the box, and he'll have his best YPC season of his career, with 1300+ yards.

But I still think we need to draft a running back now, so Curtis can groom him into a starter in a year or 2.

that is my point exactly. nobody knows what lamont can do. the jets were in prime position to find out and make a more educated decision during the offseason.

coming off 6-10 with nothing to lose and a cupcake first 5 or 6 games they should have given jordan the damn ball. if he can't carry the load then you have an easy off-season decision to let him walk. if he excels and turns out to be the stud everyone thought he would be then you can work out a l/t deal with abe and franchise lamont. or just let abe walk. the problem is that we never found out what the kid could do in all the time he was a jet, coming off a wasted '03 season that is totally inexcusable.

Good Post!! You do get it!! It was more important

for Martin to build stats then to see what we had

in Jordan to maybe at least get back a 2nd rd pick

for him after the 03 season!! =D>

Absolutely! If we give Jordan the majority of the carries, it does 2 things: gives us a better chance to win, while SIMULTANEOUSLY giving Martin some much needed rest. Instead, Herm drove up Curtis's rushing count, tired him out, and now Jordan is gone, primed for a big year with Oakland, and we are left with a BIG question mark.

mark it down

Martins YPC will go UP in 2005 from 2004.

Dinger knows how to spring backs for long runs, hackett simply did not!

Combine that with a more downfield passing game, curtis will see less 8 men in the box, and he'll have his best YPC season of his career, with 1300+ yards.

But I still think we need to draft a running back now, so Curtis can groom him into a starter in a year or 2.

Eric..I hate to hit you with facts but Martin had

his best year and yardage avg with Hackett as OC!

I know Martin is the only Jet Back in your lifetime!

But Trust me he ain't the best!Some day when you

have seen as much Football as I have you'll know the

difference!! :wink:

what would the pats have done in the same situation? my guess, lamont would have been the '04 starter coming off a 6-10 '03.

... you contradict your own point ...

... you say the pats would have started lamont last year, then say that curtis has an immovable contract ?!?

... which is it ? ... what the pats would have done is let their backup rb walk after paying their franchise rb star rb money ... they would not put themselves in cap hell by paying 2 players at the same position star player money... that is exactly what the jets FO did ... no sentimentality involved ... we kept l-j for last season to make a go of a shot at the big prize ... we were 2 makable fg's & a torn rotator cuff away from a battle with the giant... they made the smart, unemotional decision to let a potential superstar walk and keep our, already paid for, and aging warrior to remain our rock-toting beast ...

=D>=D>=D>

great work T-B ... we've got 10 years of chad leading our franchise ... 2 left with curtis ... as well as holding onto abe i expect to see a veteran OT addressed in the upcoming cuts ... as well as TE, CB, SS, DT, & P addressed there & via the draft ... most likely blaylock will have some opportunities this year ( that l-j never did) to show what he can do ... if it is not impressive enough, expect a rb early next season ...

l_j_r

Archived