Jon McClain's Comments on the Jets

PatsFanTX

Every Monday morning John McClain is on SportsTalk radion 610 down here. I have the utmost respect for this guy and his comments/opinions. He has great sources throuout the NFL and what he says/writes always pans out more times than not.

With that said, he had some interesting comments on the Jets this morning:

-Said the Jets are in serious negotiations with the Saints for the #2 pick to move up and take Lienart. Said he thinks this is move would have heavy influence from Woody Johnson. Said the Giants have Eli Manning and the Jets need a marquee QB, especially moving into the new stadium.

-Said the above move is probably against Mangini's philosophy in building a football team. Said as the draft gets closer, this could be one of the best power struggles in the NFL.

-McClain was at both Young's and Lienart's Pro Days. Said when passes were timed (how long the ball is in the air), Lienart's deep in's and out's stayed in the air .5 seconds longer than Young's. Said .5 might as well be 15 seconds in the NFL. Said if the Jets take Lienart, they would be getting a PennyBoy clone.

-Said Lendale White cost himself $5-$7 million by showing up yesterday by being fat and over weight. Said he also was very smug with interviews and some GM's said they would not touch the guy with a 10 foot pole.

what I like about Lienart is the kid WANTS to be a Jet..and has the temperment to handle the big city-Like Joe Willie.Also,that picture of him partying in Manhattan when he was in town for the Heisman Trophy ceremony,where he was obviously buzzed with hot chicks surrounding him...well what can you say.It was Namath-esque.Now you see why I'm not an NFL scout?

Interesting. I really do not know what to think of this. I also read this morning that Leinart's arm strength was impressive. He even threw a 65 yard pass in stride to Reggie Bush. Lefty QB's are much harder to judge arm strength with. As of right now there are 4 players in this draft for the Jets M Williams, D Fergeson, R Bush and M Leinart. Any one of thm I would be happy with.

Getting a QB for the NEW stadium?

That is like buying a new pair of tighy-whiteys for your wedding day when you are still in college wacking off to internet pron.

Crazy.

BZ

I agree BZ.

But when you add Woody's ego into the equation, it does make some sense.

I'm sure he hates playing second-fiddle to the Giants.

Getting a QB for the NEW stadium?

That is like buying a new pair of tighy-whiteys for your wedding day when you are still in college wacking off to internet pron.

Crazy.

BZ

SCHWOOOOOOOOO....that one went right over my head BZ

One other tidbit from McClain that you guys will enjoy:

Said the leaks coming out of Hofstra have virtually dried up. He said in the past, info coming from "un-named sources" came very frequently and was always very accurate. Said this will be a total culture shock to the NY media.

Who were these "marquis" QB's when the team acquired them?

Tom Brady (6th round)

Brad Johnson (good, but not "marquis")

Kurt Warner (undrafted FA)

Trent Dilfer (sat behind Tony Banks for 1/3 of the season)

they hold all the superbowl rings from 1999-2004 seasons.

How about the "marquis" QB's who did get to the SB but left with no ring?

Matt Hasselbeck (Favre's backup drafted in like the 5th rd)

Jake Delhomme (was behind Rodney Peete when they picked him up for peanuts)

Rich Gannon (was he a "marquis" QB when Oakland signed him? no.)

Kurt Warner (undrafted FA)

Kerry Collins (was stinking it up in NO when the Giants got him)

In fact, 11 out of the last 14 QB's to make it to the SB were not considered "marquis" QB's when the team acquired/drafted them: Ben Roethl., Donovan McNabb, & Steve McNair were the exceptions.

This whole "marquis QB" and "we need a face for the franchise" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And it gets repeated over & over. You'd think we have the homecoming game/dance sometime next season. And above all, since when is Matt Leinart a marquis NFL QB???

DNA and Spermy make some good points-one only needs look at the Redskins to see where an owners meddling can get a team.Trust the process and trust the guys you hired to make the football decisions,they've shown a knack for playing the making moves game so far....

Lets see if this is really the case or just more smoke driving up the value of our pick or trying to force the hand of someone else trying to trade up and take a player the jets dont really want. You have to take everything you hear a month before the draft wit 2 grains of salt. I will not kill Woody on this one unless we actually do trade up. I dont want a QB in round one but if we have to take one I hope its Cutler. He may not be as polished but he will be a better cold weather QB and has more potential than Lienhart. You dont give up picks in a draft this deep, sit tight and see what evolves or trade down take the extra picks and run.

good thread here tx. I'd hate to see us go after leinhart, especially if it meant having to move up to #2. what would we give up to do that? i'd rather see us move down if anything and fill the numerous holes we have

if he falls to us at 4 take him if not BAP-and I doubt that THAT guy is Jay Cutler

I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of trading up,especially as it will cost us either the 29th or 35th pick.I'd prefer to add Cutler and two others instead of Leinart and one other,it's funny how much Justin Miller's kick off return could change the course of this franchise.

Saying that,it wouldn't be a horrible move in my book.Leinart seems to be less of a risk than any other 1st round QB and he has everything you look for in a superbowl QB.It would still be a step in the right direction albeit it a more expensive step.

Said the leaks coming out of Hofstra have virtually dried up. He said in the past, info coming from "un-named sources" came very frequently and was always very accurate. Said this will be a total culture shock to the NY media.

All leaks from sources have dried up...except for the one that has us trading up for Leinart of course ;)

good thread here tx. I'd hate to see us go after leinhart, especially if it meant having to move up to #2. what would we give up to do that? i'd rather see us move down if anything and fill the numerous holes we have

Thanks Willy, I thought you guys would enjoy this.

I have tremendous respect for what McClain says/writes.

Also keep in mind, the whole "Jets moving up to #2 for Lineart" could be a huge smoke-screen.

Woody Johnson worrying about the Jets needing a name big time QB just does not seem feasible to me- only my opinion

I would tend to agree faba, but he did make a good point about Woody's huge ego, especially that his Crown Jewel of a West Side Stadium went up in flames.

Good.

This is a business, not a reality show.

-McClain was at both Young's and Lienart's Pro Days. Said when passes were timed (how long the ball is in the air), Lienart's deep in's and out's stayed in the air .5 seconds longer than Young's. Said .5 might as well be 15 seconds in the NFL. Said if the Jets take Lienart, they would be getting a PennyBoy clone.

-Said Lendale White cost himself $5-$7 million by showing up yesterday by being fat and over weight. Said he also was very smug with interviews and some GM's said they would not touch the guy with a 10 foot pole.

Good to hear. I love being validated.

Good to hear. I love being validated.

I gotta give you credit Troll, you called this early on.

.5 extra seconds in the air is huge in the NFL. It eliminates some throws that you can make as a QB (Jet fans over the past 4 years should be used to that).

Keep in mind, McClain also mentioned that some GM's still love Lienart.

Be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Archived