Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Look at the precious few successful QB rehabs. How many of those were for the team that originally drafted them and they busted on? I count zero.

Irony is ironic 

Has anyone tried it in the same manner as the jets? I just think people are applying formulaic conclusions when the jets have altered the formula. 

I prefer a wait and see approach.

BTW, if Wilson is not currently considered post Rodgers Plan A, what is? And don’t fool yourself there is always a plan in place when your QB is 39.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Has anyone tried it in the same manner as the jets? I just think people are applying formulaic conclusions when the jets have altered the formula. 

That’s called odds. You draw reasonable assumptions about the likelihood of a thing happening from a large data set that smooths out the particularities of your specific situation. And lots of QBs have failed despite sitting and learning from a stud. Far too many to list.

I prefer a wait and see approach.

Sure, let’s see what happens but gun to my head I’m betting he never adds value anywhere close to a FQB for any team, much less so the Jets.

BTW, if Wilson is not currently considered post Rodgers Plan A, what is? And don’t fool yourself there is always a plan in place when your QB is 39.

If I had to bet right now? I’d guess JD drafts a QB in 2024/5 and is quick to bring in another vet if the Rodgers plan works well.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

At this point.

He's a back up QB project and should/will be treated accordingly.  

Continuing to relentlessly attack him isn't going to change where he was drafted.   

Nor is continuously defending him. Takes two to tango.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Patrick Schwarzenegger Cowboy GIF by IMDb

This message was a direct shot across the bow to you and your cronies talking about folks like me and @jgb "eating crow" on this one.  Of course, when we end up being correct we'll just be accused of "beating a dead horse" so you win either way I guess.

Zach Wilson is indeed improving.  It's also true that it isn't nearly enough and he has no future here.  @Dunnie

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

This message was a direct show across the bow to you and your cronies talking about folks like me and @jgb "eating crow".

Zach Wilson is indeed improving.  It's also true that he has no future here.  @Dunnie

I’m a better golfer than I was 10 years ago. Still not making the cut at Augustus any time soon.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Considering this is time for Zach to reset and develop, I’m going to reserve judgement until AFTER he gets a chance to reset and develop. 

He's the QB2 until otherwise noted.  He isn't allowed to reset and develop if he's one injury away from piloting a team expected to challenge for a home playoff game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He's the QB2 until otherwise noted.  He isn't allowed to reset and develop if he's one injury away from piloting a team expected to challenge for a home playoff game.

“Jets failed Zach by not bringing in a vet to give him a needed red shirt year!!! Sooooo unfair to expect him to come off the bench cold against Buffalo and compete!!!”

crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Also, never ever ever say never in the NFL.

See friggin Geno Smith.

So all we have to do is wait 7 more years so Zach can lose in the Divisional Round.  Let's gooooo

The Giants and Chargers also let Geno walk, btw.  He's on his 4th franchise.  Kind of confirms @Paradis' point that he has no future HERE, even if he has a prayer of a chance at succeeding with a future team.

• Haha 3

So all we have to do is wait 7 more years so Zach can lose in the Divisional Round.  Let's gooooo

The Giants and Chargers also let Geno walk, btw.  He's on his 4th franchise.  Kind of confirms @Paradis' point that he has no future HERE, even if he has a prayer of a chance at succeeding with a future team.

Every busted QB who experienced a turnaround didn’t do it for their drafted team. Oh, but Zach is special, I forgot.

• Upvote 2

Not before the Panthers handed him a 5th year option worth ~ $20M though.  

One of the greatest unforced sports management errors of our time. As you and I called immediately after the Panthers did that to much gnashing of teeth.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While I agree that it's difficult to see a realistic path where ZW becomes the starter here long-term, I'm not writing off that possibility.  The NFL is highly unpredictable.

Yeah but the Jets are not.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

No, the comeback to this is simple.  Your only argument against OP's is "No team in the league will give him a starting job".  So you state that as fact while projecting 2 years.

Did we not just go through the same with Darnold, who was broken and seeing ghosts?  Someone wanted him.  And you assume Zach Wilson, who has struggled mightily in NY, will just want to stay here and continue as is.  It is way more likely he gets offered a back-up job somewhere else and leaves to start fresh, like most of our failure QBs have done.

Darnold got 23 million over 2 years and got everyone fired in Carolina.  That's hardly NFL starting money.  That was a coach on the ropes buying a lottery ticket. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ZachStepdad said:

The op is the guy who was willing to put it all on the line for the jets to draft Paxton Lynch 

And Joe Douglas is a very good GM who drafted a QB worse than Ryan Leaf at # 2 overall.

2 things can be true at once:  1) Someone like @Paradis can know what he's talking about AND 2) Get it wrong on college QBs from time to time.  It's the hardest position to evaluate in pro sports.

But once a QB shows you what he is over 2+ years it's time to start moving on.  For every Steve Young there's an awful lot of DeShone Kizer's.  And the more recent QBs are even easier to evaluate AFTER their pro careers get starterd.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Let's call it what it is.  

The original post was fine.  It's the thread title that was obnoxious-adjacent.  People are conflating the two and it's creating a lot of unnecessary nonsense.  True, the OP does not indicate any self-recognition that it's an opinion, and chooses to wrap itself up in a "I am a fact, you must all listen" tone.  But that's kind of normal here.  I also think the intent was absolutely to cause a stir.  Mission accomplished.  Trap baited....mouse-necks snapped.  Bravo.

Here's the only fact we all need to know.  None of us knows crap about that intent of either the Jets or Zach Wilson.  None of us knows what will happen in a year.  

Most importantly, it's completely irrelevant to the 2023 season which we are on the cusp of.  Emoting about a decision that will be made next May seems a little off-tone at the moment.  For the record, I agree that there is almost no way he gets extended.  However, I do not think that suggests any absolute path for his presence on the team in 2025.  And again, I really don't give a crap about that now.  In my opinion (see those words!) I don't think anyone else really should be that worked up over it either.

Ok sure, artistically i decided to be provocative in a manner that targeted a certain demographic. But (and to answer @Dcat’s why now Q) the reason or inspiration came from seeing ZW dialogue on the board nearly rival topics about our Pass Rush, running game, OLINE etc… No where else is this a serious topic. It’s 4th page commentary. “Is Zach improving..” 

also I need to address this b/c it seems to be root of what keeps reigniting the thread:

“Here's the only fact we all need to know.  None of us knows crap about that intent of either the Jets or Zach Wilson.  None of us knows what will happen in a year. “

What? Yes we do. That’s absurd. The second we signed Aaron Rodgers we made our intentions clear. We’ll decline his 5th yr option. He’s then all but certain to be a FA by 2024 and the scenario that has him returning to NY becomes a huge reach. 

that’s like me saying “we have no idea if Denzel Mims will lead DET’s WR corps” uhm yea I’m pretty sure we can speculate with confidence there. 

• Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Dude, you have zero clue what's gonna happen. It's unlikely that he will be back, but it's not impossible. 

Zero clue?  Zero?  We're talking about something that's never happened in NFL history.  It's possible, sure.  Just as its possible I one day get a 3-way with Salma Hayek and Rihanna.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zero point zero successful QB rehabs happened on the team that drafted him. There are at least two main drivers for this: (1) someone out there usually thinks the drafting team mishandled him and they can “fix” him; (2) the player himself usually wants a fresh start where he can at least compete for a starting job and that’s pretty unlikely on the team that already knows first-hand that he sucks. 

• Upvote 3

The two paths to ZW staying with the Jets long-term have been covered: major injury to Rodgers with Wilson coming in and looking very good for at least few games...or Jets decline 5th year option and then sign ZW for a year or two at a modest salary until he takes over for Rodgers. Both seem like highly unlikely, if not impossible.

My guess is that JD's "long term" goal is to get what he can for Wilson in a trade. He got a 2nd and a 5th for D'Arnold. I can't imagine that he wouldn't jump at that right now, and probably would be willing to take less. 3rd rounder, maybe? BTW, I'm not saying anyone will actually offer that much, just that JD would take it.

Maybe he's willing to wait out the entire season, but unless Rodgers either goes down with a major injury or has a Max Scherzer-like sudden decline this season, ZW is likely gone before next season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Fair enough. Emotional hatred tho? No. Tired of reading arguments about “every throw from our back up who is most likely adios” yes. 

Very true.  People here are awfully concerned about how well Zach Wilson is going to develop for his 2nd team.  Kinda strange when you think about it.  Like the folks who rooted for Darnold in 2021 even though we held Carolina's draft pick following that season.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The decision was made the moment they acquired Aaron Rodgers.

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

JD give up premium draft capital and $75M (or more) for a 39 year old replacement.

Some Jets fans “Wow, he must really believe in Zach!”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Very true.  People here are awfully concerned about how well Zach Wilson is going to develop for his 2nd team.  Kinda strange when you think about it.  Like the folks who rooted for Darnold in 2021 even though we held Carolina's draft pick following that season.

He's probably QB2 for the Rodgers window unless he plays 3+ years as you've noted. So I think it's positive for the Jets if he's developing.

If he needs to play a game or 2 and can make some quick easy passes, huck it downfield a few times and hand it off without doing laps and pirouettes in the backfield it would be nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They dont have to pick up his option to re sign him.   They didnt pick up Bectons 5 th yr but can still re sign or franchise him if they want to. 

Joe in 2024: “hi Zach, do you feel like coming back for a 2 year deal for journeyman money. Can’t promise we won’t draft a QB early tho. 

Zach & his agent: 

John Candy No GIF by Laff

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's probably QB2 for the Rodgers window unless he plays 3+ years as you've noted. So I think it's positive for the Jets if he's developing.

If he needs to play a game or 2 and can make some quick easy passes, huck it downfield a few times and hand it off without doing laps and pirouettes in the backfield it would be nice.

Sure would!  But that isn't really "development", either.  Much of what they seem to be doing is neutering him so we can play "hide-the-QB" if he's forced into action. 

Zach defenders have already been whining about Hackett not calling the good plays for Zach.  In PRESEASON.

• Haha 2