Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Rodgers is worth a half a Billion dollars. Zach is not. he is not giving any discounts. if someone offers him more he is gone.

what do you think Zach is? a scrub. worst QB the last 2 seasons. the worst QB ever to start 20 or more games.

and thats the problem. unless Zach gets into some regular season games and plays good and lets pray to god he doesnt cause that means Rodgers got hurt he is no better than trying out a rookie who doesnt have a history of being the worst QB. 

if JD gives Zach another contract even a cheap one and then starts him in 2025 and Zach sucks for a 3rd time, how does he survive that? we're going to then have to draft one in 2026. can we trust JD to identify a FQB to draft when he cant even do that to one under his own roof for 4 years? 

Whatever.  You're obviously another Jets fan whose mind is sealed shut on Zach, and it's pointless to discuss anything further with you about him.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

If they like where he is at I can see them giving him a contract for 10 million a yr for 2 yrs with playing time and performance incentives.   Similar to what they paid McCown and Fitz.

That’d be insane because they’ll still be carrying a hefty charge for Rodgers at that point. 

IMG_4223.jpeg

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it goes as we don’t pick up his 5th year option next off-season. But he’s still a Jet next year remember. So that’s another year under Rodgers. Let’s just for the sake of this, say Rodgers retires after the 2024 season. So now we have a need at QB and Wilson is a FA. So I think we could come up with a 1 year deal with him allowing him to show what he has learned in 2 years behind Rodgers. He plays good that year then we pay him. He doesn’t? Then we’re back to the drawing board at QB.

This is exactly what's going to happen if Wilson shows considerable improvement.

If he doesn't, they'll cut ties quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, all I can say is you missed some real doozies the past two years, lol.

Folks are who they are.  For me it's more about the core topic, more than the presentation.  Hypersensitivity about how things get presented is a bit silly, especially on the interwebs, IMO.  But to each their own.

I'm not surprised to learn that I've missed some real doozies.

Yes, folks are who they are, but people need to learn how to communicate effectively.  We all use words differently, and without knowing the poster, being able to see the poster's face and body language, or hear the inflection in his/her voice, all we have to go on is what they say, which includes HOW they say it.

We're all opinionated or we wouldn'be on a Jets fan site and posting our opinions.  If we want people to not dismiss our opinions out of hand, or think we know nothing about football, we need to be clear in how we communicate, how we say things, have sound reasoning, and exhibit clear football knowledge.  Jets fan sites are full of posters who are casual fans, who don't know the game that well, and who don't even know the names of the Jets players and/or CS, but they're full of opinions. It's not a matter of "hypersensitivity" but rather intelligent discussion and showing respect to other posters.  Talking down to them like one has superior knowledge and they're irrational or dumb because they have a contrary opinion is not showing respect for others. I don't respond well to people who show blatant disrespect for others.  I don't post on Reddit or other sites where there isn't intelligent discussion and civil discourse.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Weird? . . . Gun to your head, I’m going with Wilson.    … Did i do the “odds” thing right?

Let’s make it interesting and charity bet on it. Always keen to extend my unbeaten betting streak on here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now that part I like. Me, @jgb and @The Crusher can just smile with the victory in hand and change the channel.

Sorta like when that ‘04 Pistons team that won the NBA title would always put in Darko Milicic when they were up big.  

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Zach is my favorite QB to not watch play for the Jets. 

I won’t watch him take a snap. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Quick reminder that Zach Wilson, today, does not look like, or perform at the level of, a starting NFL quarterback. You bros are writing straight up fanfic about some point in the future when Zach Wilson, facing live bullets, learns how to throw a screen pass accurately and is then worth another seven figure contract. 

Anyone who talks about his career to date is beating a dead horse. Anyone who doesn’t buy into the rosy magical thinking future constructed by the Nauvoo Legion is a hater.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Me either. I haven't since last year. I accidently watched a couple in a video posted here but it didn't count because I didn't swallow. 

I’d turn the channel if he comes in to take a knee during the SB

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Whatever.  You're obviously another Jets fan whose mind is sealed shut on Zach, and it's pointless to discuss anything further with you about him.

Yeah he is the worst QB in the league by any metric. My time is too valuable to play “but there’s a chance” wishful thinking with bums.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Daniel Jones is getting like $40 million per. By 2025 23 million for ZW might actually be backup QB money at this rate.

The 5th year option pricetag goes up as salaries go up.  It's calculated based on the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at the position over the prior five seasons.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

I'm not surprised to learn that I've missed some real doozies.

Yes, folks are who they are, but people need to learn how to communicate effectively.  We all use words differently, and without knowing the poster, being able to see the poster's face and body language, or hear the inflection in his/her voice, all we have to go on is what they say, which includes HOW they say it.

We're all opinionated or we wouldn'be on a Jets fan site and posting our opinions.  If we want people to not dismiss our opinions out of hand, or think we know nothing about football, we need to be clear in how we communicate, how we say things, have sound reasoning, and exhibit clear football knowledge.  Jets fan sites are full of posters who are casual fans, who don't know the game that well, and who don't even know the names of the Jets players and/or CS, but they're full of opinions. It's not a matter of "hypersensitivity" but rather intelligent discussion and showing respect to other posters.  Talking down to them like one has superior knowledge and they're irrational or dumb because they have a contrary opinion is not showing respect for others. I don't respond well to people who show blatant disrespect for others.  I don't post on Reddit or other sites where there isn't intelligent discussion and civil discourse.

GFY

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Wilson isn't going anywhere.  He lost out on two years of QB training with the
unfortunate passing of Greg Knapp and LaFleur couldn't step into that gap.  Now
with Rodgers, Hackett, Downing and even Boyle he's getting the "grooming" he
missed out on.  I can see Douglas not picking up Wilson's option but working out
a "mini extension" to keep him around.  With the discount Rodgers gave the team
Douglas will have the flexibility to do so.  There's no downside for either
Wilson or the team in this arrangement, Wilson would have a leg up to replace
Rodgers and the team would have a physically gifted QB who hopefully has "reset"
and ready to live up to his draft status

Did not seem coincidental to me that Rodgers gave up essentially the exact value of Zach's rookie contract.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well we are in unheard of times. The Jets have a QB that has 4 MVPs and an offensive coordinator that was with him for the two most recent ones.

Will Zach be here? If you have to bet, right now you have to bet against him based on his track record. But damn Aaron is in his ear every damn move. So if any young QB ever had a shot to do the unheard of, it is Zach.

Two years of live games. Two years of learning after that. I think the 5th year option is a long shot, but there is a chance for an extension.

The other scenario is, the Jets win the Super Bowl this year and Aaron Rodgers retires.  Zach balls out and they pick up his 5th year option.  Hey, it is nice to dream!

Retires??? He comes back to defend the trophy!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Whats the bet?

Well, we certainly need an objective measure because no one will ever agree on something subjective. I will bet anyone that Zach's 5th year option will not be picked up by the Jets,

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This is exactly what's going to happen if Wilson shows considerable improvement.

If he doesn't, they'll cut ties quickly.

Paramount Network Smh GIF by Yellowstone

No.  If Zach has a pulse next offseason, he will be traded.  It is not economically feasible for the Jets to keep him.

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Traded to who?

Off the top of my head, let's start with Green Bay.  The Packers did not pick up Love's 5th year option, but did agree to a contract through 2024.

Bucs.  Mayfield, Trask oh my.  The Commanders.

Or maybe an enterprising team like the Chiefs.  Let the QB Whisperer fix him with absolutely no pressure.

I am not saying he is walking in or starting anywhere.  The Jets are not going to get anything more than a 7th round pick with conditions to make it a 5th round pick at best.  He has talent.  Someone will give him a shot in hopes of finding a Steve Youngish career revival.

I guess the question that comes to my mind is this: 

Is there any historical precedent for a top draft pick (like Zach, #2 overall), who comes in and starts for two full seasons, but is historically bad in his performance/production (amongst the worst in the league both years), who then is outright benched, sits as a backup for two full seasons, and is then resigned by the team that drafted him to start again?

While I think there are a small population of "Drafted high, sucked, went elsewhere, was eventually good elsewhere" guys over the long history of the NFL, that population itself is a minority.  For every Steve Young, or Geno Smith, there are several dozen guys who sucked, went elsewhere, and still sucked.  

But for a guy to start, suck, benched, do nothing got two years.....then get resigned to start again by his original team?  Has that ever happened to anyone knowledge?  If so, who was it?

18 hours ago, doitny said:

Rodgers is worth a half a Billion dollars. Zach is not. he is not giving any discounts. if someone offers him more he is gone.

what do you think Zach is? a scrub. worst QB the last 2 seasons. the worst QB ever to start 20 or more games.

and thats the problem. unless Zach gets into some regular season games and plays good and lets pray to god he doesnt cause that means Rodgers got hurt he is no better than trying out a rookie who doesnt have a history of being the worst QB. 

if JD gives Zach another contract even a cheap one and then starts him in 2025 and Zach sucks for a 3rd time, how does he survive that? we're going to then have to draft one in 2026. can we trust JD to identify a FQB to draft when he cant even do that to one under his own roof for 4 years? 

If the Jets win the Super Bowl before that moment, he can easily survive that. 

I don't know if you have been keeping up with current events, but JD has constructed a Super Bowl caliber roster. Forced his HC hands by firing his best friends brother and hiring an established OC. JD has been nothing short of great and people like yourself, think he should be fired because of drafting misses. Serenity Now!