Why Becton Needs to Start!!!!

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So it's your belief that it's a certainty he'll start opening night?

As much of a certainty as Duane Brown or AVT, pretty much. If healthy and available, he's our starting RT. And there's nothing in what we've seen this offseason that suggests that's unlikely

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You can do that with a franchise tag. Successive tags, even.

As opposed to all the other OL around the league who played the entire preseason game, as one does in preseason.

Exactly. Becton, frankly, is the type of player I'd expect them to tag twice if he's good this year - one next offseason to make him show he can repeat it (and possibly shift to LT), once the year after to negotiate a long-term deal. 

It definitely makes sense to downgrade the guy for not playing a full preseason game, since most players play all 60 snaps of a preseason game.

Becton's done everything right thus far this year. Let's just hope it continues, because if it does then he'll finally live up to his draft status - the way he looked like he would year 1

Bectons on a timeline being dictated by his camp. The Jets seem unwilling to play/start him until his restrictions are lifted. 

Just now, Doggin94it said:

As much of a certainty as Duane Brown or AVT, pretty much. If healthy and available, he's our starting RT. And there's nothing in what we've seen this offseason that suggests that's unlikely

Except Becton is not the starting RT right now.   He is not at the top of the depth chart.

AVT is currently listed as the starting RG

As soon as Duane Brown is cleared he will be placed at the top of the depth chart.

Except Becton is not the starting RT right now.   He is not at the top of the depth chart.

AVT is currently listed as the starting RG

As soon as Duane Brown is cleared he will be placed at the top of the depth chart.

The unofficial depth chart means less than nothing right now. He's running with the 1s, has Rodgers' support, and also has been unequivocally the best player at that spot in camp (and there's no close second). He's also the guy with the highest long-term upside and the guy the Jets invested the most resources into. If you think there's any possibility a healthy Becton is on the bench for Week 1, I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The unofficial depth chart means less than nothing right now. He's running with the 1s, has Rodgers' support, and also has been unequivocally the best player at that spot in camp (and there's no close second). He's also the guy with the highest long-term upside and the guy the Jets invested the most resources into. If you think there's any possibility a healthy Becton is on the bench for Week 1, I don't know what to tell you.

Look, if you believe him being incapable of playing more than 30 reps 3 weeks before the season opener is unworthy of concern.  So be it, I won't argue with you.

Understanding his history I think there is still a reason for concern with his inability to stay on the field and for that knee to hold up for a full game.

As stated I think ultimately he'll get there - but I do not believe it to be a certainty.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Who else should start at RT? Max Mitchell who has been a total disappointment all preseason? 

It's not about "should" -  He's clearly the best option if he's capable of playing a full game.

OT is not a part time position.  He can either play a full game or he's not starting.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

From the gist of the athletic blurb it still sounds like there’s a disconnect between Bectons timeline and the Jets. Sounds like Rosenblatt confirmed it was Becton who took himself out of the Cleveland game and that the Jets were hoping he’d be cleared for full activity sooner.

Becton pulled himself from the Cleveland game because of the field. His last snap on that day, he tried to plant his foot, it slipped out in an awkward way, and he left the game so as not to put himself in position to reinsure the knee. The Australian guy who breaks down film did a good video on Becton and showed that particular play quite clearly. 

It's not about "should" -  He's clearly the best option if he's capable of playing a full game.

OT is not a part time position.  He can either play a full game or he's not starting.

You asked if it's  a certainty that he would start. I answered and asked who else is there that should start and even mentioned a player who was drafted to start there. What is the problem? There is no other player who has earned it. You better pray Becton starts and remains healthy. He is by far the most solid performer on the OL right now. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Becton pulled himself from the Cleveland game because of the field. His last snap on that day, he tried to plant his foot, it slipped out in an awkward way, and he left the game so as not to put himself in position to reinsure the knee. The Australian guy who breaks down film did a good video on Becton and showed that particular play quite clearly. 

Ok. Point being is he’s still limited in what he’s being allowed to do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You asked if it's  a certainty that he would start. I answered and asked who else is there that should start and even mentioned a player who was drafted to start there. What is the problem? There is no other player who has earned it. You better pray Becton starts and remains healthy. He is by far the most solid performer on the OL right now. 

I don't even know what we're arguing about right now.

Becton is the best option.  Becton still hasn't been cleared and/or capable of playing more than 30 snaps in practive or a game.  If he can get there - awesome. 

If he can't - My best guess they kick AVT out to RT and plug in Tippman/McGovern at C/G (assuming Tippman is healthy)

This isn't about a coaches decision on who's better.  Saleh, JD and just about anyone paying attention knows Becton is who would ideally start - the question is will he be capable of doing so.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't even know what we're arguing about right now.

Becton is the best option.  Becton still hasn't been cleared and/or capable of playing more than 30 snaps in practive or a game.  If he can get there - awesome. 

If he can't - My best guess they kick AVT out to RT and plug in Tippman/McGovern at C/G (assuming Tippman is healthy)

This isn't about a coaches decision on who's better.  Saleh, JD and just about anyone paying attention knows Becton is who would ideally start - the question is will he be capable of doing so.

Can you name a solitary  player who has started and finished a complete preseason game. You are asking for proof Becton can do this in a time period where no player in the league does this. You are basically asking for proof of something  that can't  be proven until the regular season. All I have been saying is all indicators to this point have been pointing to Becton being able to do this. He has been doing everything that has been asked of him. I don't know what else you need to see to believe he will be ok barring a new injury.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Rich Cimini broke the news that Becton is playing on the advice of his doctor and not the Jets. The Jets have no current say in his playing time. I think if Bectons camp is playing it as if he can just say “I’m good” for week 1 while playing limited snaps in practice and preseason the Jets will rebuke that and go in another direction. This is a an enormous week of practice for him and his career imo.

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

we’re just making things up now. 

Shot, chaser

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you name a solitary  player who has started and finished a complete preseason game. You are asking for proof Becton can do this in a time period where no player in the league does this. You are basically asking for proof of something  that can't  be proven until the regular season. All I have been saying is all indicators to this point have been pointing to Becton being able to do this. He has been doing everything that has been asked of him. I don't know what else you need to see to believe he will be ok barring a new injury.  

There is no other active player on the team that is on a snap count due to not being cleared or unable to perform for an extended period of time.  If you can't see the different then fine.  

The point is - by ALL accounts (maybe outside of yours) Becton is currently incapable or unwilling to play a full game - whereas everyone else is - they just haven't been asked to yet.  There is a difference.

Moreover I've been clear and repeated it many times now.  It's my best guess that he WILL be ready to go come opening day - so I do "believe he will be okay"  I'm just saying I don't think it's a certainty.

Where I believe AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson and even Duane Brown are certainty's (barring other injuries) to be ready to go Monday night, September 11th.

I'm just not 100% locked in that Becton will be in good enough shape or have his knee strong enough to be ready to go for 60 to 80 snaps by then.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is no other active player on the team that is on a snap count due to not being cleared or unable to perform for an extended period of time.  If you can't see the different then fine.  

The point is - by ALL accounts (maybe outside of yours) Becton is currently incapable or unwilling to play a full game - whereas everyone else is - they just haven't been asked to yet.  There is a difference.

Moreover I've been clear and repeated it many times now.  It's my best guess that he WILL be ready to go come opening day - so I do "believe he will be okay"  I'm just saying I don't think it's a certainty.

Where I believe AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson and even Duane Brown are certainty's (barring other injuries) to be ready to go Monday night, September 11th.

I'm just not 100% locked in that Becton will be in good enough shape or have his knee strong enough to be ready to go for 60 to 80 snaps by then.

It's  funny, you seem to keep hope that Zach will snap into an NFL QB when all indications point to him being a mega bust but Becton has been dominant in preseason yet you aren't  convinced he will be a full time player. 

• En Fuego 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What makes you think the menagerie of OL players the jets have can actually play a full game of NFL football without getting hurt themselves or worse killing the QB or one of the running backs.   Becton for 30 minutes plus fill in the blank is a better option than fill in the blank for 60 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Bectons on a timeline being dictated by his camp. The Jets seem unwilling to play/start him until his restrictions are lifted. 

Becton has leverage.  There is no other quality starter at tackle besides Brown who hasn't taken a snap.  AVT is probably the best LT or RT on the team.  That's an option but it's not without huge issues inside. 

3 minutes ago, John Blaze said:

Where have you seen it reported that he's still on a pitch count? I believe he's practiced fully a few times already.

Rosenblatt had it this morning. This was before the news that he’s getting a shot on Saturday. Again, huge week for him. Let’s see if he answers the bell.

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

we’re just making things up now. 

As opposed to all the mud you got out of a Cimini tweet that Becton is relying on the advice of his doctors instead of the Jets? 
Because Becton should rely on the advice of the doctors who may have led to his knee injury, subsequent surgery and missing a full season

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As opposed to all the mud you got out of a Cimini tweet that Becton is relying on the advice of his doctors instead of the Jets? 
Because Becton should rely on the advice of the doctors who may have led to his knee injury, subsequent surgery and missing a full season

Yes.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No matter how many times you read that this isn’t true, you just keep repeating it.  It’s still not true.  Or an issue