Why Becton Needs to Start!!!!

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This video says it all....

Cause the Tape Don't Lie!

Rich Cimini broke the news that Becton is playing on the advice of his doctor and not the Jets. The Jets have no current say in his playing time. I think if Bectons camp is playing it as if he can just say “I’m good” for week 1 while playing limited snaps in practice and preseason the Jets will rebuke that and go in another direction. This is a an enormous week of practice for him and his career imo.

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

The guy is all world if he's motivated and just give a damn.

It's why I would've picked up the option.

77 thinks he's getting PAID after this year, but if you picked up the option it forces him to show up in the best shape of his life two years in a row.  

Then you let him walk.  

No way I trust him not to show up at 400 lbs after getting a long term deal.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It really isn't a question of if he's good enough.  He has to be able to make it through a game.  Right now it seems he's not capable of that goal.

There's still 3 weeks to get him there. 

Luckily there’s a game on Saturday. Let’s see him get 40-50 snaps. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Larz said:

Which part ?

Becton is going to start when he hasn’t started at all this preseason and hasn’t been cleared to play more than a handful of snaps? Unless you have info that he’s guaranteed to be cleared there’s zero indication he’s starting. Let’s see him put a half on tape first. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

Becton is going to start when he hasn’t started at all this preseason and hasn’t been cleared to play more than a handful of snaps? Unless you have info that he’s guaranteed to be cleared there’s zero indication he’s starting. Let’s see him put a half on tape first. 

You obviously read Ciminis post but you didn’t understand it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

77 thinks he's getting PAID after this year, but if you picked up the option it forces him to show up in the best shape of his life two years in a row.  

Then you let him walk.  

I think he’s matured but yeah no need to rush and pay him. Show me. We drafted him. We invested in him. Show me. Play like the All Pro we envisioned when we drafted him. He’s got a lot to prove and no one knows that better than him. He’s also settled in. Heading into his 4th year removed from college, he has a lil Becton and his career is in the wings. Show me and then we’ll talk. I wish some of these athletes had some loyalty to the teams that invested in them. Hopefully, Becton has a great year and works this out with the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Here is a direct quote from Cimini's article.

"There's a medical protocol that has to be followed in terms of how many snaps he gets as we get closer to the start of the season," Herman told ESPN. "The medical protocol was put into place to make sure he's going to be ready to play a whole game at the start of the season."

The protocol, created by noted orthopedist Neal ElAttrache, is so specific that it "limits the amount of running [Becton] does prior to the start of the season in training camp," Herman said.

Neal ElAttrache is the orthopedic surgeon who did the surgery on Becton's knee.  He is one of the most respected orthopedic surgeons in the country.  His patient list reads like a who's who in American sports (Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Joe Burrow, Russell Westbrook).  He also did Zach Wilson's surgery last season. 

It is not Becton's team deciding how much he will play.  It is the doctor that did the surgery, who is probably working with the Jets brass and Becton's team on a plan to get him healthy for week 1.

I did not get the sense from that blurb that the Jets are working with the doctor.

"We're not necessarily telling him the job is his," line coach Keith Carter said, "but we're definitely encouraging him, like, 'Hey, man, let's go. When you're ready to put the pedal to the metal, go compete.'"

• More Ugh 2

There was a lot to be excited about from Becton’s performance at right tackle against the Buccaneers. Pro Football Focus gave him an overall grade of 85 and 90.2 in run blocking. He didn’t allow a single pressure in 19 pass-blocking snaps. It was against backups, but it’s significant progress for a player who has significant potential and — if he can stay healthy — might be their most talented offensive tackle.

ESPN reported that Becton was following a medical protocol to get back into shape as he recovered from last year’s knee injury. Even with that, he was a little slower to progress than even some in the building expected. Becton pulling himself out of the Browns game was initially viewed as a red flag, but he bounced back from that, has been stellar in practice and put forth his best game film Saturday since his rookie season.

If Becton finally (and deservedly) gets some first-team reps at right tackle this week, I have a hard time believing he won’t win that starting job.

• More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There was a lot to be excited about from Becton’s performance at right tackle against the Buccaneers. Pro Football Focus gave him an overall grade of 85 and 90.2 in run blocking. He didn’t allow a single pressure in 19 pass-blocking snaps. It was against backups, but it’s significant progress for a player who has significant potential and — if he can stay healthy — might be their most talented offensive tackle.

ESPN reported that Becton was following a medical protocol to get back into shape as he recovered from last year’s knee injury. Even with that, he was a little slower to progress than even some in the building expected. Becton pulling himself out of the Browns game was initially viewed as a red flag, but he bounced back from that, has been stellar in practice and put forth his best game film Saturday since his rookie season.

If Becton finally (and deservedly) gets some first-team reps at right tackle this week, I have a hard time believing he won’t win that starting job.

Why are you shouting?

• Haha 3

The team actually seems to have done a good job with Becton this pre-season.  He's gone from blaming the team for his injury and insisting he only wants to play on the left to playing on the right and actually campaigning on social media to play on the right again this weekend.

They seem to have allowed him to come along at his own pace, build up confidence in the knee, and reach the conclusion that being a starting tackle on the right is better for his career than being a backup on the left.

Hopefully, it pays off and Becton stays healthy and has a great season at right tackle this year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It really isn't a question of if he's good enough.  He has to be able to make it through a game.  Right now it seems he's not capable of that goal.

There's still 3 weeks to get him there. 

After the last 2 games where he played nearly 30 snaps with no problems, you don't  think he can finish a game?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Here is a direct quote from Cimini's article.

"There's a medical protocol that has to be followed in terms of how many snaps he gets as we get closer to the start of the season," Herman told ESPN. "The medical protocol was put into place to make sure he's going to be ready to play a whole game at the start of the season."

The protocol, created by noted orthopedist Neal ElAttrache, is so specific that it "limits the amount of running [Becton] does prior to the start of the season in training camp," Herman said.

Neal ElAttrache is the orthopedic surgeon who did the surgery on Becton's knee.  He is one of the most respected orthopedic surgeons in the country.  His patient list reads like a who's who in American sports (Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Joe Burrow, Russell Westbrook).  He also did Zach Wilson's surgery last season. 

It is not Becton's team deciding how much he will play.  It is the doctor that did the surgery, who is probably working with the Jets brass and Becton's team on a plan to get him healthy for week 1.

And? The bottom line if his knee is healthy, he plays.  Without seeing the actual rehab protocol it’s hard to know if he’s currently at game day strength or when he will be there. He must be pretty close considering he played nearly 50 snaps against the bucs. If he follows it up with 50+ against the giants then I think he would be ready for game one to start.  A healthy becton is more than worth what they’re paying this sturgeon if he starts.

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The team actually seems to have done a good job with Becton this pre-season.  He's gone from blaming the team for his injury and insisting he only wants to play on the left to playing on the right and actually campaigning on social media to play on the right again this weekend.

They seem to have allowed him to come along at his own pace, build up confidence in the knee, and reach the conclusion that being a starting tackle on the right is better for his career than being a backup on the left.

Hopefully, it pays off and Becton stays healthy and has a great season at right tackle this year.

From the gist of the athletic blurb it still sounds like there’s a disconnect between Bectons timeline and the Jets. Sounds like Rosenblatt confirmed it was Becton who took himself out of the Cleveland game and that the Jets were hoping he’d be cleared for full activity sooner.

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

And? The bottom line if his knee is healthy, he plays.  Without seeing the actual rehab protocol it’s hard to know if he’s currently at game day strength or when he will be there. He must be pretty close considering he played nearly 50 snaps against the bucs. If he follows it up with 50+ against the giants then I think he would be ready for game one to start.  A healthy becton is more than worth what they’re paying this sturgeon if he starts.

He only played 25 snaps on Saturday

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Then you let him walk.  

If you pick up the option he doesn’t need to perform on the field at all this year, as he can wait until next year and ease himself back that much more slowly (and slower than medically necessary). It’d provide an out, like he doesn’t need to overdo it in ‘23 as it’s not a contract year, just like he pulled himself out of the Cle game as a precaution. It was a risk vs. reward decision. The risk was high and the reward was low to stay in that game if he thought he’d felt something. Ditto this whole season (or large chunks of it) if he felt he doesn’t really need to display all he could be all season long until a full year later, which will also be when Duane Brown is another year older himself (possibly retired) and Becton has a better shot at the LT job he covets. 

The other problem with guaranteeing his 2024 season this far in advance is he hadn’t displayed that omg potential since his 2020 rookie season ended. High hopes I currently have for him aside, the fact is he hasn’t started and finished a football game since 2020, let alone a string of them or for a whole season plus an active postseason. 

Until he’s shown he’s proven whole-season durable, plus shows he’s matured more from the neck up and becomes a self-motivated player, it’s reasonable to keep him on prove-it deals.

It’s easy to say it would’ve been cheaper in ‘24 on a 5th year option instead of a franchise tag, but that analysis - solely the upside one on paper - presumes he’d play and push himself exactly the same irrespective of Becton’s individual necessity this season. He’d displayed the opposite thus far. That, with his personal grievances with the Jets coaches and medical staff, says the 5th year option was never happening. If he balls out and they want/need to tag him in February , so be it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

After the last 2 games where he played nearly 30 snaps with no problems, you don't  think he can finish a game?

I didn't say that - but he does have to show he can.  A game is likely to be more than double the 30 snaps he has played.  A 100% increase at a minimum.

It's my guess he will be ready on Sept. 11th, but I do not believe it to be a certainty.

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn't say that - but he does have to show he can.  A game is likely to be more than double the 30 snaps he has played.  A 100% increase at a minimum.

It's my guess he will be ready on Sept. 11th, but I do not believe it to be a certainty.

It really amazes me how this guy gets zero credit for anything around here. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Then you let him walk.  

You can do that with a franchise tag. Successive tags, even.

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He only played 25 snaps on Saturday

As opposed to all the other OL around the league who played the entire preseason game, as one does in preseason.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you pick up the option he doesn’t need to perform on the field at all this year, as he can wait until next year and ease himself back that much more slowly (and slower than medically necessary). It’d provide an out, like he doesn’t need to overdo it in ‘23 as it’s not a contract year, just like he pulled himself out of the Cle game as a precaution. It was a risk vs. reward decision. The risk was high and the reward was low to stay in that game if he thought he’d felt something. Ditto this whole season (or large chunks of it) if he felt he doesn’t really need to display all he could be all season long until a full year later, which will also be when Duane Brown is another year older himself (possibly retired) and Becton has a better shot at the LT job he covets. 

The other problem with guaranteeing his 2024 season this far in advance is he hadn’t displayed that omg potential since his 2020 rookie season ended. High hopes I currently have for him aside, the fact is he hasn’t started and finished a football game since 2020, let alone a string of them or for a whole season plus an active postseason. 

Until he’s shown he’s proven whole-season durable, plus shows he’s matured more from the neck up and becomes a self-motivated player, it’s reasonable to keep him on prove-it deals.

It’s easy to say it would’ve been cheaper in ‘24 on a 5th year option instead of a franchise tag, but that analysis - solely the upside one on paper - presumes he’d play and push himself exactly the same irrespective of Becton’s individual necessity this season. He’d displayed the opposite thus far. That, with his personal grievances with the Jets coaches and medical staff, says the 5th year option was never happening. If he balls out and they want/need to tag him in February , so be it.

Exactly. Becton, frankly, is the type of player I'd expect them to tag twice if he's good this year - one next offseason to make him show he can repeat it (and possibly shift to LT), once the year after to negotiate a long-term deal. 

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It definitely makes sense to downgrade the guy for not playing a full preseason game, since most players play all 60 snaps of a preseason game.

Becton's done everything right thus far this year. Let's just hope it continues, because if it does then he'll finally live up to his draft status - the way he looked like he would year 1

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

It definitely makes sense to downgrade the guy for not playing a full preseason game, since most players play all 60 snaps of a preseason game.

Becton's done everything right thus far this year. Let's just hope it continues, because if it does then he'll finally live up to his draft status - the way he looked like he would year 1

This is dumb.

This isn't about the snaps he played - but more about the snaps he was limited to.  That he is unwilling or incapable of playing more than what he did.  it's about him pulling himself out of games, it's about the coaches continuing to say he's on a snap count.  This has been clearly stated, multiple times.  The reason he isn't in the starting line up right now is because his current inability to complete a football game.  Saleh has said it.  Becton has said it as well.     

His # of reps have been continually growing - which is whey I expect him to be ready to go on opening night - but by no means do I believe it to be a lock.

• More Ugh 1