Jets Edge Rushers by Snap Count

Maxman

32 minutes ago, Hal said:

JJ sets a nice edges on the reps I’ve watched him.   He’s got a great motor to cleanup.   Opposite an elite pass rusher I like him.  

i like Huff.  

The ends haven’t lit the world on fire yet.  I really like the stuff the have put in the media about Lawson - so I’m really bummed he did not bounce back.  It looked like he worked his tail off to get back too.   

Would be nice if they could play with a lead and let this defensive plan come together. A zone defensive with fresh ends (hey now). They should feast in that environment. Hopefully that is what we see on Sunday.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Would be nice if they could play with a lead and let this defensive plan come together. A zone defensive with fresh ends (hey now). They should feast in that environment. Hopefully that is what we see on Sunday.

Team is definitely built to play with leads.

Huff needs to be on the field more. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

It really is too bad about Lawson ... is it possible it just is taking a bit longer to recover ?  At this point it feels like he may never get back to form. Never want to say that ... hope he can get back ... but you have to wonder.

What form? He was never as good as all that to start with. He’s a guy our fans have consistently overrated. Good luck to him in his recovery, but WE should be playing our #1 draft pick McDonald a hell of a lot more anyway.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Still have no idea why Clemons put on 20 lbs to play inside and they keep lining him up Wide 9 against the LT. 

Jets have no idea what they are doing right now with the Dline. 

Their 2 best edge rushers have the fewest amount of snaps (Huff and McDonald) AND like Shane said, Jermaine is playing on the wrong side.

Clemsons as an edge rusher? JFM? ......... wtf? Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Nania has a good article up discussing the first half vs second half splits for the defense, which shows that the defense is slightly below average in the first half, elite in the second half. Some of that is because the DL rotation keeps everyone fresh, but (imo) Saleh vastly overestimated the jump Jermaine Johnson was going to take. Huge mistake to move him over the left tackle, where he gets swallowed up. He’s an effort/hustle rusher. They need to move him back into a rotation with JFM off the left side and let Huff-McDonald-Lawson take over on the blind side, in that order. 

Yeah, I agree with this take. It’s less about “huff needs to be in the field more”, and more about pivoting the role/sage. Huff moves into the dominant share on blind side and snaps perhaps inherently increase, but more importantly it’s going with the best guy for that job specifically.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barton said:

Their 2 best edge rushers have the fewest amount of snaps (Huff and McDonald) AND like Shane said, Jermaine is playing on the wrong side.

I read in preseason that Clemons was supposed to get fatter and move inside. Not sure what happened there. JFM I thought was a more natural interior DL, too.

• Upvote 1

Seems like Saleh prefers having a big edge (JFM, Clemons, JJ to a degree) in the rotation. Might be to make up for the relative lack of size elsewhere. I think that also has played into Huff's frustrating lack of pt - he doesn't have the prototypical measurements they want. Hopefully he's forcing their hand this year

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Still have no idea why Clemons put on 20 lbs to play inside and they keep lining him up Wide 9 against the LT. 

I don't know how many of those snaps are wide 9 but I am surprised he's getting so many edge snaps after putting on the weight 

Other teams are in too many running situations, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

McDonald has not looked like one of the team’s two best edge rushers when he’s been on the field. They are still in the process of developing him. I was disappointed when Tippmann didn’t open the season at center, but he came a long as is now doing very well at guard. Why not let these guys develop their DL? They seem to do okay. 

Also, the Jets are one of two teams that hasn’t taken an offensive snap with the lead. Hard to pin your ears back and chase the QB from behind. Teams are playing conservatively against the Jets, so the Jets need their best run defenders on the field. JJ and JFM are best at setting the edge in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I read in preseason that Clemons was supposed to get fatter and move inside. Not sure what happened there. JFM I thought was a more natural interior DL, too.

I think the plan got derailed when Lawson came up lame and McDonald was slower to develop than hoped. And again, this defense was designed to operate from a lead with Rodgers leading the offense, and that’s not where the team is at. If the Jets we’re getting more passing downs, I think Clemons would be getting more inside snaps on passing downs (the way JFM is used). 

Also, I think they might be grooming Clemons to be JFM’s replacement. 2024 & ‘25 are his deal’s big money years, with none of the salary guaranteed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, slats said:

McDonald has not looked like one of the team’s two best edge rushers when he’s been on the field. They are still in the process of developing him. I was disappointed when Tippmann didn’t open the season at center, but he came a long as is now doing very well at guard. Why not let these guys develop their DL? They seem to do okay. 

Also, the Jets are one of two teams that hasn’t taken an offensive snap with the lead. Hard to pin your ears back and chase the QB from behind. Teams are playing conservatively against the Jets, so the Jets need their best run defenders on the field. JJ and JFM are best at setting the edge in that regard. 

I think the plan got derailed when Lawson came up lame and McDonald was slower to develop than hoped. And again, this defense was designed to operate from a lead with Rodgers leading the offense, and that’s not where the team is at. If the Jets we’re getting more passing downs, I think Clemons would be getting more inside snaps on passing downs (the way JFM is used). 

Also, I think they might be grooming Clemons to be JFM’s replacement. 2024 & ‘25 are his deal’s big money years, with none of the salary guaranteed. 

Imagine drafting a 24 year old rookie and then — oops!! — he’s slow to develop. An absolute travesty. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nania has a good article up discussing the first half vs second half splits for the defense, which shows that the defense is slightly below average in the first half, elite in the second half. Some of that is because the DL rotation keeps everyone fresh, but (imo) Saleh vastly overestimated the jump Jermaine Johnson was going to take. Huge mistake to move him over the left tackle, where he gets swallowed up. He’s an effort/hustle rusher. They need to move him back into a rotation with JFM off the left side and let Huff-McDonald-Lawson take over on the blind side, in that order. 

Agreed. Johnson looked much better this week rushing mostly against the RT. Lawson looks near useless, a huge drop-off from last year that I suspect is due to the unspecified back injury he was dealing with all camp. He shouldn't be active until he's right, give his snaps to McDonald who at least brings some juice and needs the live action to develop.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

Seems like Saleh prefers having a big edge (JFM, Clemons, JJ to a degree) in the rotation. Might be to make up for the relative lack of size elsewhere. I think that also has played into Huff's frustrating lack of pt - he doesn't have the prototypical measurements they want. Hopefully he's forcing their hand this year

Measurements is a bad argument to make. Play your best players. It’s proven that if you hit the QB, you have a better shot at winning. We’re sitting our best QB hitter bc of measurements? These guys gotta get a clue if that’s the case. 

8 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Imagine drafting a 24 year old rookie and then — oops!! — he’s slow to develop. An absolute travesty. 

You draft players for four years of service, not four weeks. Not everyone adjusts to the NFL at the same rate. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

McDonald showed enough in camp and the preseason games to get more snaps, bottom line. He was electric in preseason. Now the dude plays like 10 snaps a game and can’t even get on the field on 3rd and 20. Instead we get Clemons who runs like he has bricks in his pants. Jets are stupid, sorry. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Barton said:

McDonald showed enough in camp and the preseason games to get more snaps, bottom line. He was electric in preseason. Now the dude plays like 10 snaps a game and can’t even get on the field on 3rd and 20. Instead we get Clemons who runs like he has bricks in his pants. Jets are stupid, sorry. 

Yeah I agree but clearly preseason doesn’t really matter unless you’re victor Cruz. 

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Ulbrich mentioned yesterday Huff is starting to show he's a 3 down player, so I expect him to be out there more. And mentioned McDonald needs to get involved more. 

I've never been a huge JFM fan but he's been playing really well this season. Clemons and JJ have been the most disappointing. 

Yeah JJ looks really stiff and non-explosive out there. I get he was being held vs the Chiefs on that forever down but then do something equally illegal to break away, man. He just stood there taking it. Looked really pathetic in real time. 

39 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Yeah I agree but clearly preseason doesn’t really matter unless you’re victor Cruz. 

I don’t care. Clemons and JFM are stiffs as edge rushers. It’s laughable they are playing edge in 3rd and 10+ plays. Effing ridiculous 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Do you think Saleh/Ulbrich could be thinking he's putting Huff on the RT to exploit that side, and JJII won't exploit as an edge rusher on either side, so at least one side gives a distinct D-over-O advantage in an effort to avoid more even matchups of Huff on a LT and JJII on the RT, which might lessen Huff's impact?

I'm not saying they are doing that, but it's a possibility in terms of figuring their rationale.

Could also just be they overestimated JJII's impact practicing against weaker Jets LTs and weaker preseason LTs, and are somehow surprised everyone else isn't playing down to those levels during the season.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, derp said:

1. Ignore that Bryce Huff is an elite edge rusher 

2. Draft Will McDonald in the first because Jermaine Johnson showed he was more of an effort/hustle rusher than an elite edge rusher so that was still a need

3. Use Jermaine Johnson as if he’s an elite edge rusher 

4. Profit 

On the plus side, if we run into the Seahawks down the line we can use McDonald to man cover the slug-footed JSN in those rare instances he’s on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Do you think Saleh/Ulbrich could be thinking he's putting Huff on the RT to exploit that side, and JJII won't exploit as an edge rusher on either side, so at least one side gives a distinct D-over-O advantage in an effort to avoid more even matchups of Huff on a LT and JJII on the RT, which might lessen Huff's impact?

I'm not saying they are doing that, but it's a possibility in terms of figuring their rationale.

Could also just be they overestimated JJII's impact practicing against weaker Jets LTs and weaker preseason LTs, and are somehow surprised everyone else isn't playing down to those levels during the season.

I would guess that they’re as surprised by Johnson’s inability to get around the edge as they are by Bryce Huff choosing to become a better run defender in his contract year. The way they’ve buried Huff the past two years makes you think there’s some really bad film on him in non-pass rush situations, and defensive coaches will reflexively put their best run defenders out there regardless. I do wonder if they drafted McDonald 1. Because they boned with the OTs coming off the board and 2. They got cute with the idea of just using him as a one for one Huff replacement in 2024

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

1. Ignore that Bryce Huff is an elite edge rusher 

2. Draft Will McDonald in the first because Jermaine Johnson showed he was more of an effort/hustle rusher than an elite edge rusher so that was still a need

3. Use Jermaine Johnson as if he’s an elite edge rusher 

4. Profit 

we need more pass rush opportunities. playing from behind too much and facing too many downs where we have to respect the run.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barton said:

This is correct, there is a reason we are like tied for 27th in sacks.   Clemons, who overall i like as a player that can do a lot is by FAR the slowest guy off the ball on every snap.

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

we need more pass rush opportunities. playing from behind too much and facing too many downs where we have to respect the run.

How about if we get the other team in pass rushing downs?   We are soft vs the run and have let other teams drive the field.

If your defense is any good they dictate the game and help you get leads via sacks and turnovers.