We need Bo Nix and his coach

hmhertz

Any player who sucks donkey balls for seemingly a decade in the SEC and then transfers to the Pac 10 and blows up, worries me.  Smells like fools gold.

And Oregon is weird.  The NFL tried the Oregon thingy w/ Chip Kelly and Helfrich. The results, were not good.  It's just a weird place that whatever they do seems to work and then whenever that HC moves on, they seem to fail.  Cristobal is having a nice year but they've played a cupcake schedule facing 1 ranked team all year w/ FSU and Louisville on the horizon, so we'll see but still.  No thanks on this idea.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Grandy said:

Drake Maye. Don't care what it takes to trade up. He's gonna be a star.

Depends where we end up I think.  If it's like 15, we'll probably have to move up twice.  Up to 8 and then up to like 2, probably.  Maybe 15th and our 2nd next year for 8(add in a 4th this year maybe), and then probably something like 8, '25 1st, McDonald for 2.  Even then both those trades might not be enough.  Add in the fact that Rodgers is coming back, my guess is JD just takes either an OL or weapon in the 1st and then looks for a longer shot QB later on(Jordan Travis, Cam Ward, Sam Hartman, etc).  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No, just no.   Finally after his 6 year or so career he is not stinking.   I do not think much of him as a pro.   I saw too many years of him stinking at Auburn.

Take a QB?  Sure, but not Nix.

Bo was pretty good last year.  Gotta remember these are college kids.  Sometimes they take time to find their game.  The right situation, coach, etc.

Overall though I agree.  Only QBs that excite me enough to take in the 1st are Williams and Maye.  If we don't have a shot at them, Nix/Penix/McCarthy don't excite me enough to pass on a franchise OL or weapon.  Hell I'd probably take Johnny Newton at DT over any of those 2nd tier QBs.  In that scenario I look to take one in the 3rd or 4th.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, bonkertons said:

Bo was pretty good last year.  Gotta remember these are college kids.  Sometimes they take time to find their game.  The right situation, coach, etc.

Overall though I agree.  Only QBs that excite me enough to take in the 1st are Williams and Maye.  If we don't have a shot at them, Nix/Penix/McCarthy don't excite me enough to pass on a franchise OL or weapon.  Hell I'd probably take Johnny Newton at DT over any of those 2nd tier QBs.  In that scenario I look to take one in the 3rd or 4th.  

This is exactly how I feel about Nix.  I didnt even consider him as a pro for one second last year but now the sample size is really big and it seems like there has been a maturity change in both is personality and his game that really makes him an intriguing pro prospect.

To your point about college kids, I really cant imagine the pressure he was under at Auburn and its no wonder that maybe he tried to do too much under that pressure.  To me, I look at it as a huge positive if a kid fought through adversity to improve.  Being a pro QB is so insanely difficult that if you dont have an extremely unique mental makeup you cant succeed and maybe Nix fighting through the struggles at Auburn has bulit him into the type of guy who can lead a pro team and do everything else required on the field.

The other piece to this is how valuable lit would be for him to sit behind Rogers for a year.  They have similar size and athleticism and it would be great to actually develop a rookie QB here for once, especially behind a player like rogers who seems to genuinely care about helping younger QBs in his room

I am hoping Oregon can find their way into the playoff.  Really curious to see Nix go up against a Big 10 or SEC defense (again).  Will he carve them up the way he is carving up Pac 12 defenses.  Or will he look like the same underwhelming, underachieving QB he was at Auburn.

When a QB suddenly takes his game to another level after transferring to a conference that is notorious for lack of quality defense, that worries me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I am hoping Oregon can find their way into the playoff.  Really curious to see Nix go up against a Big 10 or SEC defense (again).  Will he carve them up the way he is carving up Pac 12 defenses.  Or will he look like the same underwhelming, underachieving QB he was at Auburn.

When a QB suddenly takes his game to another level after transferring to a conference that is notorious for lack of quality defense, that worries me.

Been an interesting hodgepodge of transfers recently. Levis, Hooker, Burrow, Mayfield. Think we’ll continue to see more of it.

Doesn’t have to be Nix, others I like better, but I think if they can find a senior day two or early day three it’s a better move than another dice roll in the first. Rather see what happens with an experienced gamer than try to mold another talented lump of clay - there’s nothing that tells me the Jets can do the latter.

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Been an interesting hodgepodge of transfers recently. Levis, Hooker, Burrow, Mayfield. Think we’ll continue to see more of it.

Doesn’t have to be Nix, others I like better, but I think if they can find a senior day two or early day three it’s a better move than another dice roll in the first. Rather see what happens with an experienced gamer than try to mold another talented lump of clay - there’s nothing that tells me the Jets can do the latter.

Carson Beck in 2025.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Has he decided he’s coming back? I know he’s got some buzz this year, could see him working his way up there pretty good.

No word yet on his status for next season.  Not too many guys enter the league after one year as a starter though.  And he probably can make some pretty good NIL money if he comes back for another year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, JagsFanJif said:

Any player who sucks donkey balls for seemingly a decade in the SEC and then transfers to the Pac 10 and blows up, worries me.  Smells like fools gold.

And Oregon is weird.  The NFL tried the Oregon thingy w/ Chip Kelly and Helfrich. The results, were not good.  It's just a weird place that whatever they do seems to work and then whenever that HC moves on, they seem to fail.  Cristobal is having a nice year but they've played a cupcake schedule facing 1 ranked team all year w/ FSU and Louisville on the horizon, so we'll see but still.  No thanks on this idea.

Agree. I don't want him. He was terrible prior to transferring.