Zach “reluctant” to start again at QB

T0mShane

49 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

When leaks like this happen; the dam is breaking and all bets are off now.

You're absolutely right.  And when it reaches this point, it's already the point of no return.  It's time to fumigate.  Maybe try to give the keys of the franchise to Jim Harbaugh.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again, it makes him look worse. I think many decision makers could look at the tape from week 1 to week 11 and understand that the struggles on offense were not all his fault. But enjoying watching the other QBs fail is a major no-no in football... I think there has to be a lot more to the story because if its true, he's basically submitted his retirement papers

Isn't it way more likely that it came from his agent if it happened at all and probably was more like "Zach will play, but he is reluctant to unless you commit to him and make these changes"?

Jets fans just want to hate on Zach but maybe if the other 2 QBs look even worse maybe it is not the QBs but the system and coaching. Especially when you consider just last year the same coach made NotTooDangeruss look completely incompetent?

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He rooted against the team when they turned to Mike white 

He threw Elijah Moore under the bus 

He told the media he'd make the next guy's life a living hell 

Zach wilson has been a locker room cancer since day 1

People just refuse to believe it for whatever reason 

Emphasis on whatever because he has alot of fans who root for him because of the college or his background etc 

These are often not die hard Jets fans and I assume they will clear out if the team ever dumps him 

When it leaked last year that Zach was late and goofing off in meetings they ran to Rappaport to provide serious cover. I’d imagine will see something similar happen here.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I am not saying he is not terrible, but is it possible that every aspect of this offense is just awful?  He went from an improving QB in his first season, to a complete disaster. I am left to wonder so many things. Are the Jets partially responsible for his complete failure?

Ya think?!

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just don't see why he would do this if his intent wasn't to play. Maybe he's being spiteful against the coaches, but seems weird that he'd flat out tell them no because of what it would mean for his NFL future

Saleh outwardly said we'll explore what happens to him in the offseason

made the 3rd string emergency QB as if the cans ahead of him weren't absolute garbage

40 minutes ago, talonmm said:

It really makes sense and it's obvious it's time to clean house.  So Woody will keep 'em all!  Gee if Wilson doesn't want to start for them, what is Aaron Rodgers thinking at this point  about coming back to the Jets next year?

It would be absolutely amazing if Rodgers also tells the Jets he doesn't want to play here either. 

I can't say I'm surprised or that I don't understand why Zach would feel that way.

Although nobody here will argue that Zach is a good QB whatsoever, the Jets openly scapegoated him and humiliated him by having him deactivated to sit and watch some horrendous football being played. And now they want to go back to him again? After being yanked how many times already? Nothing that happens the rest of the season will change anything.

A change of scenery may be necessary for both Zach and the staff 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyLV said:

Isn't it way more likely that it came from his agent if it happened at all and probably was more like "Zach will play, but he is reluctant to unless you commit to him and make these changes"?

Jets fans just want to hate on Zach but maybe if the other 2 QBs look even worse maybe it is not the QBs but the system and coaching. Especially when you consider just last year the same coach made NotTooDangeruss look completely incompetent?

Too calculated. My guess is the Jets told Zach we think its best to sit you and try to work through some things - which is what they did last year and the year before that - and now they're crawling back asking him to play again and he probably called them out on scapegoating him. Doesn't sound like he's checked out and my guess is if they tell him to play he's going to play. But we'll see soon enough. 

Just now, King P said:

I can't say I'm surprised or that I don't understand why Zach would feel that way.

Although nobody here will argue that Zach is a good QB whatsoever, the Jets openly scapegoated him and humiliated him by having him deactivated to sit and watch some horrendous football being played. And now they want to go back to him again? After being yanked how many times already? Nothing that happens the rest of the season will change anything.

They didn’t, saleh has gone out of his way to not scapegoat him 

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This is incredible. I am so embarrassed to be a fan of this team. 

Here are my opinions: 

1. Props to Zach. 
2. I would released Zach as soon as possible. 
3. How do you even bring back Saleh and JD? They need to be let go. It’s like a rash that you keep itching. It’s only getting worse. 

Agreed.  I would also love to see ZW sign with some other team (Bengals?) and lead them to wins.  What a clusterfvck of an organization the Jets are.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

You absolutely cannot bring back Saleh and Douglas next year. This is beyond a sh*tshow at this point

What's sad is that Douglas is still probably the most competent scouting and trading GM we've ever had. That being said, GTFO with the QB plan this year and the OL plan since his entire tenure here.

Saleh knows defense, but yet again they fail repeatedly to do anything about offense. If we're going to be bad every ******* year, can I please at least get a good offense bad defense team so I don't have to wonder if they're going to score a TD once every 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, football guy said:

Too calculated. My guess is the Jets told Zach we think its best to sit you and try to work through some things - which is what they did last year and the year before that - and now they're crawling back asking him to play again and he probably called them out on scapegoating him. Doesn't sound like he's checked out and my guess is if they tell him to play he's going to play. But we'll see soon enough. 

But they didn’t scapegoat him.  Saleh has gone out of his way to blame the team, not him, and has said multiple times that it’s not just a qb issue.  

So here's the full article from Rosenblatt - despite his tweet saying more details...there really are none.  

Zach Wilson reluctant to step back into starting role as Jets mull QB change: Sources

The New York Jets are prepared to make another switch at quarterback — but their top choice is reluctant to take on the job. The team is leaning toward turning back to Zach Wilson to start but he is hesitant to step back into the role, multiple team sources said Monday.

The Jets, who are 4-8, haven’t made any final decisions on who will start at quarterback against the Houston Texans on Sunday. They’re hoping Wilson will change his mind.

Wilson, the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, returned to his former role as the Jets’ starter after offseason acquisition Aaron Rodgers suffered a torn Achille tendon four plays into the 2023 Week 1 game. But just like in prior seasons, he and the Jets offense struggled, and Tim Boyle was named the starter for a Week 12 game against the Miami Dolphins.

Over two games, Boyle threw for 327 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions while completing 65.1 percent of his passes. He was benched in the second half of Sunday’s Week 13 game against the Atlanta Falcons in favor of Trevor Siemian, who proceeded to complete 5 of 13 passes for 66 yards while losing one fumble.

Neither was able to get the offense going, which struggled more in the last two weeks than it did even with Wilson. At the time of his benching, the Jets didn’t plan to play him again this season. The offense’s performance in a 13-8 loss to the Falcons changed things.

Overall, the Jets have scored four offensive touchdowns in their last 88 drives and rank 30th in scoring for the season. They’ve scored 10 offensive touchdowns, the fewest of any team through 12 games over the last 30 years — and just once over the last two weeks since Wilson was benched.

Wilson had thrown for 1,944 yards, six touchdowns and seven interceptions this season while completing only 59.2 percent of his passes. It wasn’t the first time Wilson had been benched, either. He was benched last year in Week 12 for Mike White, returned to the lineup when White got injured and then was benched again during a Week 16 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars for practice squad quarterback Chris Streveler.

This time, it was for Boyle, who had three touchdowns and eight interceptions in 17 games before this year.

When Jets coach Robert Saleh benched Wilson, he said: “Zach is fine. He has come a long way from a year ago. I think we all agree, obviously, we wish it was better for him, we wish we all could have been better for him. Like I have said, it is not a one-person thing, but just to see if we could get something going, but he was good.”

Just now, King P said:

How soft are we now that benching means humiliated? It’s pro sports. Zach has stunk. Lazard stunk too. This is how sports work. Jones has been benched like 20 times in New England.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

What's sad is that Douglas is still probably the most competent scouting and trading GM we've ever had. That being said, GTFO with the QB plan this year and the OL plan since his entire tenure here.

Saleh knows defense, but yet again they fail repeatedly to do anything about offense. If we're going to be bad every ******* year, can I please at least get a good offense bad defense team so I don't have to wonder if they're going to score a TD once every 3 weeks.

Douglas is the best drafter we’ve had in many years.  It would look better if some of the other guys played.  But if you whiff at qb it’s usually your job. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I would also love to see ZW sign with some other team (Bengals?) and lead them to wins.  What a clusterfvck of an organization the Jets are.

Have you watched him play? It’s not the team it’s him he’s not an NFL QB …. decisions bad passes fumbles INT’s ….. 

33 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just don't see why he would do this if his intent wasn't to play. Maybe he's being spiteful against the coaches, but seems weird that he'd flat out tell them no because of what it would mean for his NFL future

I think ZW will end up coming out the winner in all of this.  The Jets as an organization are a clown show. 

• Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On the contrary, he has alot to lose.  

While his potential refusal to start may play well here on JN, especially with certain kinds of fans here, it will not play well elsewhere in the league amongst the front offices and GM's that might be considering giving him another (last) chance at redemption as a backup somewhere in 2024.

If he truly is offered the chance to start and just refuses, his time in the NFL is (and should be) over if that is true.  Not just his time in NY.

IF true (still an IF to me without more details), then I agree that it should be career ending.

BUT that very well may be what Zach wants. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It seems like we’re trending towards a new regime but with rodgers here and if there’s a new gm and hc with rodgers and a top 5 pick that’s really interesting

You're right.  I don't know how we avoid it at this point.  It would be amazing if we ended up trading AR8 without him completing a single pass for us.   I hope Woody ends up not getting a single dollar of cap relief for this.