~~~Saturday NFL Football Cowboys vs Lions~~~

Beerfish

17 minutes ago, Hex said:

With McCarthy Jets probably win thr Chiefs game, Chargers game, one of the Dolphins games, and maybe even the 2nd Bills game. Defense wouldn't just give up like they did with Saleh.

D gave up?  That’s as much a conjecture as your claim the Jets probably win those games!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

That ref screwed up, and this game had big playoff implications.

It was the only game on tonight so everyone saw how badly Detroit got screwed. The NFL needs to own it.

That said, after it happened, Campbell should have kicked the xp and gone to OT.

Yea, being aggressive is cool but that was reckless 

• Upvote 1

Maybe football has gotten too rule heavy?  Maybe because of that, no officiating team can successfully call a complete game?

For once, ESPN is doing an excellent job explaining this.  It’s pretty obvious the ref screwed up.  We shouldn’t see him in any playoff game.  Will we?  Who knows?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, being aggressive is cool but that was reckless 

I couldn’t believe it when they went after the penalty. 🙄
But did you see the replay of the final try? Aikman showed how if Goff hit the receiver in stride he scores! 😱
Just a crazy ending to a fun game. Let’s not forget McCarthy got bailed out big time for his clock management on their last drive and the soft D they played when the Lions got the ball. 😇

If the NFL had any integrity, it would reverse the officials call, make the score 21-20 Detroit and make the teams play the last 23 seconds of the game.  Given that Dallas’ kicker looks like he can hit a FG from 80, maybe Dallas wins the game anyway.  But none of this will ever happen so we’ll never know.  I’m not a Lions fan, but they clearly got screwed and, in this case, may have lost a real shot at the Super Bowl be being seeded lower than they should be. (3 instead of 4, which are their only realistic options other than a very outside chance at 1 had they won out and other teams lost.)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ausman said:

If the NFL had any integrity, it would reverse the officials call, make the score 21-20 Detroit and make the teams play the last 23 seconds of the game.  Given that Dallas’ kicker looks like he can hit a FG from 80, maybe Dallas wins the game anyway.  But none of this will ever happen so we’ll never know.  I’m not a Lions fan, but they clearly got screwed and, in this case, may have lost a real shot at the Super Bowl be being seeded lower than they should be. (3 instead of 4, which are their only realistic options other than a very outside chance at 1 had they won out and other teams lost.)

They won their division so they can’t be worse than 3. In all probability, the most this will cost them is a shot at #2.

1 hour ago, ausman said:

Mike McCarthy is the reason a very talented Dallas team keeps losing games they should win.  He would have been a better choice than a newbie like Saleh but don’t kid yourself that the Jets would have been world beaters with him calling the plays either.  I’ll give you this — he’s better than Hack.  But so are you.

Don't know if that's a compliment or insult... as for that, they're usually in it and have a top Offense and I doubt he would have been much worse than league average, which for this organization would be a top 3 HC in their history. 

So here you have Schefter, among other high profile figures in NFL media, posting videos absolutely trashing the officiating last night (and beyond!). The NFL showed on Thursday (against the Jets, natch) that they can and will intervene from afar if an official ****s up, so why haven’t they instituted an NHL-style review system where the on-field crew can appeal to a central command center staffed with a grand master panel of overseers? And that panel can intervene on calls that are clearly ****ed? 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Oh man. What a boondoggle

Ummmm people don’t want to believe the obvious and that says a lot. 

Yes the Lions were robbed!  It was Jimmy Johnson night in Dallas….🤔

And again it wasn’t a mistake any more than the making sure the Jets don’t beat KC during Taylor Swift night was…

The NFL has an A League and a B League and the refs act accordingly!

It is obvious!
And intelligent bettors can see it as well……

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmm people don’t want to believe the obvious and that says a lot. 

Yes the Lions were robbed!  It was Jimmy Johnson night in Dallas….🤔

And again it wasn’t a mistake any more than the making sure the Jets don’t beat KC during Taylor Swift night was…

The NFL has an A League and a B League and the refs act accordingly!

It is obvious!
And intelligent bettors can see it as well……

I thought the intelligent bet last night was boys minus the point for some of the reasons you point out

even though the boys win, bettors lost

now I’m not sure if @playtowinthegame had the lions ml or with the points but I am going to guess ml and he has every right to be beyond pissed

I don’t mind betting and losing cause it is going to happen, but if the nfl is going down the road of suspect endings, the fan duels, DraftKings etc will start putting pressure on them to fix the ref issue if it starts to affect their revenue

• Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, ausman said:

Absolutely right.  The ref blew it and then has the authority to cover it up by saying the player never reported.  (I was joking about him having money on Dallas, but it’s easy  to see why some might draw that conclusion.  Since the BlackSox scandal, for over a century sports gave a stiff arm to betting.  But now that they get to put their hands in the pot, all of a sudden they’re not only fans, they’re partners.  You draw your own conclusions.)

Refs need to have body cam to review some of this . So they can call the refs bs and fire them for lying. Im pissed, eagles probably rest their starters last game vs giants if they had div locked up. Now giants have no chance if they do not, which hurts our draft position.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ausman said:

Maybe football has gotten too rule heavy?  Maybe because of that, no officiating team can successfully call a complete game?

For once, ESPN is doing an excellent job explaining this.  It’s pretty obvious the ref screwed up.  We shouldn’t see him in any playoff game.  Will we?  Who knows?

Over the decades, they added clarifications and caveats to every rule in an effort to gain equitable calls. It's now too burdensome. They need to cut a large swath of the playbook to make it simpler. You don't need to account for the edge cases that happen once a season. When it does.. will the crew get it wrong? Sure, probably, but putting caveats for all those situations is causing them to get the routine stuff wrong... and let's face it.. they still get that edge case wrong too.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine as I have to fight it at work. There's a guy I work with who thinks we can fix anything with more documentation/text and he can not understand that everything you add also adds complexity/confusion. We get 1 user who doesn't understand how something work and he wants to add something to help them and can't grasp that 99.9% of the time it's irrelevant to the rest and adding something about it now makes it something all 99.9% of the users now have to think about for that .1% to have an easier time.

I'm of the belief that this is the NFL rulebook, that in trying to account for every possible interaction, makes accounting for the regular impossible.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I thought the intelligent bet last night was boys minus the point for some of the reasons you point out

even though the boys win, bettors lost

now I’m not sure if @playtowinthegame had the lions ml or with the points but I am going to guess ml and he has every right to be beyond pissed

I don’t mind betting and losing cause it is going to happen, but if the nfl is going down the road of suspect endings, the fan duels, DraftKings etc will start putting pressure on them to fix the ref issue if it starts to affect their revenue

I did have the Lions ML. Sucks the way things ended, but I partly blame Dan Campbell for not kicking the extra point after the ineligible receiver penalty.

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I did have the Lions ML. Sucks the way things ended, but I partly blame Dan Campbell for not kicking the extra point after the ineligible receiver penalty.

Somewhat understandable considering the Cowboys kicker has range from 70, though

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Somewhat understandable considering the Cowboys kicker has range from 70, though

I think the Lions D would have held them for the next 20 or so seconds, even with the Cowboys having all 3 timeouts. I respect the aggressiveness by Dan Campbell, but I think you owe it to the Lions D to kick for the tie after the ineligible receiver penalty. 

• Upvote 1

NFL is all about the "integrity of the game" except when it comes to the refs. Brad Allen has been terrible for years, but they still trot him out there. I know it's just entertainment, but there should be some accountability here. 

Also, Dan Campbell should have taken the points after the Parson's flag. He let his ego get in the way.

I felt sick for the Lions.

• Upvote 2