Breer Offers Specifics on Cowherd Interview Regarding Jets GM Being Overruled

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Not a coincidence that the protection and running game got much better since Simien came in.

I was trying to pinpoint why it seemed like we had had a resurgence in our rushing game these past two weeks. Should have looked at the obvious first! :D 

Since the by week we have only exceeded 4 YPC three times, 2 of those in the last two weeks. The other was vs the Raiders. of our three rushing TDs, two were in the Washington game. Yes, it was Washington and their bottom-ranked D. ;-) 

We're 4-3 when we break 100 yards rushing, and two of the three losses were close games (KC by 3, LV by 4). 2-6 when under 100 yards. We're 5-2 when we rush 22 times or more, and 1-8 when we rush under 22 times. I know there's an argument for cause and effect here, but I still feel that the biggest determining factor is the game plan. We chose to run a lot more with Siemian under center, and it worked well. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Woody “having a say” on whether they pick a cb over an OTbis ridiculous.

But the fact that the Jets would have picked Ekwonu if the Texans picked Sauce like they should have is also ridiculous. 

The Jets are doing no real scouting. 

To be fair to Houston - the Stingley pick got questioned a lot at the time, and in year one when he missed a lot of games. But he's looked very good for them this year. The knock on him was always his injury history as I recall, but when he's on the field he seems to play very well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, fwiw, Siemian has started 2 straight games and the offense managed to run for over 100 yards in back to back games.  Compare that prior to him starting, the Jets went 8 games w/ only 1 game over 100 yards rushing and that 1 game was vs. the Raiders and it was only because Zach had 54 rushing yards on scrambles while Hall and Cook combined for 46 yards rushing on 17 carries.   And mind you, the line was healthier during that stretch then it is right now.   Some would say, this example just proves my point.  

Looks like I could have saved myself a post by just keeping reading a few more replies further. :D 

And I forgot about the Zach 'outlier' vs LV.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, football guy said:

JD’s approach has always been collaborative. They were neck and neck grade wise and ultimately Sauce was 2nd on their board and Ekwonu 3rd. I haven’t heard anything suggesting that Saleh wanted Ekwonu over Sauce personally. I do know positional value (OT > CB) was discussed. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Woody made his opinions felt, but by no means do I believe any notion that he flat out told JD you have to take Sauce over Ekwonu. Again, the 2 guys were neck and neck in the building… even if Woody did give the tipping vote for Sauce, what’s the problem? 

We have so many valid things to complain about as Jet fans. This outcome isn’t one of them

You didn't answer me. How is it an "organizational decision" when HC and GM want player A but owner wants player B...  it ends up player B.  That is not "organizational".  It's the owner making the final call, as Woody has been accused of doing under multiple regimes here.  Your fabricated imagry of how the conversations went down among them is purely made up because you weren't there.

This is beyond "collaborative".  Unless you make up a new definition for that word.

19 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I was trying to pinpoint why it seemed like we had had a resurgence in our rushing game these past two weeks. Should have looked at the obvious first! :D 

Since the by week we have only exceeded 4 YPC three times, 2 of those in the last two weeks. The other was vs the Raiders. of our three rushing TDs, two were in the Washington game. Yes, it was Washington and their bottom-ranked D. ;-) 

We're 4-3 when we break 100 yards rushing, and two of the three losses were close games (KC by 3, LV by 4). 2-6 when under 100 yards. We're 5-2 when we rush 22 times or more, and 1-8 when we rush under 22 times. I know there's an argument for cause and effect here, but I still feel that the biggest determining factor is the game plan. We chose to run a lot more with Siemian under center, and it worked well. 

Washington’s rush D was middle of the pack. Siemien is barely a backup level QB, but he’s stuck around the league because he can digest a playbook and go through his reads and deliver a pass. Wilson isn’t capable of that. For Breece, having a semi competent professional level QB is really all he needed.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You didn't answer me. How is it an "organizational decision" when HC and GM want player A but owner wants player B...  it ends up player B.  That is not "organizational".  It's the owner making the final call, as Woody has been accused of doing under multiple regimes here.  Your fabricated imagry of how the conversations went down among them is purely made up because you weren't there.

This is beyond "collaborative".  Unless you make up a new definition for that word.

Collaborative means Woody is involved and he’ll always have final say. This is why Mangini was ultimately fired. It’s just the way they’re set up. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

It probably looks a lot like it did this year in Carolina. Owner wanted A, GM and HC wanted B, they ended up with A. A then goes on to flop in year one so GM and HC get fired.

Carolina will remain mired in mediocrity for years to come as a result of an interfering owner.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

So then it is far from "collaborative" among owner, GM and HC.   Just like on the Jets.  If people here truly think that the Jets admin is truthfully "collaborative", then bless them for their creative imagination.

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If this is a Zach Wilson sucks post, then I agree ! lol. But I think the OL still has some serious issues with how they're being coached, because it goes beyond just this year. The offense that Saleh wants is predicated on the run game....the pass game opens up as a result (play action, etc).

If that is supposed to be your bread and butter you should have at least been able to establish a running identity in Year 3 regardless. But that has not been in the case and largely in part due to the fact that Saleh doesn't know how to coach it (i.e. ensure that his OC and OL coaches are doing the right thing). I can't hire and fire mechanics because I don't know sh*t about cars.

It's not exclusive to Zach Wilson because team benched him in game for and then started, Tim Boyle.  Siemian is the only savvy vet on this team so him being the example of improvement, applied.  

Blame the OC!  Well, we did that last year too and Lil Mikey currently has the #2 RB in rushing yards on the season and he's only played 11 games.  Sidebar; He's also about to coach the OROY at WR in back to back seasons and his current rookie WR is going to break an NFL record.  Can you name the LT that took over for Whitworth?  Of course not.

Meanwhile back in Jets land, it's hard to run the ball w/ no threat of the pass and a hodge podge on the LOS, yet Hall still averages 4.4 ypc and he's 5th overall for RB's in yards from scrimmage.  So is that play calling?  Great OL and QB play or just simply great individual play?  Clearly it's not OL and QB...so play calling and individual play?  hmmmm, might stand to get better w/ a QB.  lol

• Upvote 3

Breer is trying to create a story how Woody meddles.   Maybe it is being fed by someone in the front office somewhere.

Woody did oddly talk about the "Secret Sauce" BEFORE they drafted Sauce, which was obviously strange and inappropriate.  

Who knows who the Jets would have picked at 5 if they drafted there in the 2022 Draft and not 10? Garrett Wilson was better than the 10th best pick.

25 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Looks like I could have saved myself a post by just keeping reading a few more replies further. :D 

And I forgot about the Zach 'outlier' vs LV.

Well then, to bring it all back to the point of the topic...Breer and nobody on this board ("JD has always been collaborative dar dar dur, yeah, no sh*t") ultimately knows who/how/why Sauce was picked over Ikem.  I'm guessing it's because Sauce was/is arguably the best overall player in the draft w/ HOF caliber talent and Ikem was just another dime a dozen T prospect.  So if that was Woody Johnson's decision, it's probably his biggest contribution to his embarrassing tenure as owner outside of the cute uniforms.

Washington’s rush D was middle of the pack. Siemien is barely a backup level QB, but he’s stuck around the league because he can digest a playbook and go through his reads and deliver a pass. Wilson isn’t capable of that. For Breece, having a semi competent professional level QB is really all he needed.
Siemian does seem to get the ball out faster - even if he misses the target, his throws are noticeable quicker which helps negate the pass rush. His main issue seems to be his accuracy.

Having said that, he has had one or two "Zach moments" where he runs backwards 15+ yards trying to avoid the sack rather than throwing it away. On one he ran back so far he couldn't get the throw away back to the line of scrimmage so got flagged.

Well then, to bring it all back to the point of the topic...Breer and nobody on this board ("JD has always been collaborative dar dar dur, yeah, no sh*t") ultimately knows who/how/why Sauce was picked over Ikem.  I'm guessing it's because Sauce was/is arguably the best overall player in the draft w/ HOF caliber talent and Ikem was just another dime a dozen T prospect.  So if that was Woody Johnson's decision, it's probably his biggest contribution to his embarrassing tenure as owner outside of the cute uniforms.
Woody playing the blind squirrel role pretty well on this occasion.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, varjet said:

Breer is trying to create a story how Woody meddles.   Maybe it is being fed by someone in the front office somewhere.

Woody did oddly talk about the "Secret Sauce" BEFORE they drafted Sauce, which was obviously strange and inappropriate.  

Who knows who the Jets would have picked at 5 if they drafted there in the 2022 Draft and not 10? Garrett Wilson was better than the 10th best pick.

Sauce was a marketable player, Woody cashed in on Revis Island, twice. He wears #1. Gets Bdub commercials. His name outweighs his production which is why I’d look to deal him to build the offense, but the Jets and Sauce have built quite the name for him and it’s met with a lot of anger around these parts if you question the production .  Fact is he has two interceptions in 2 years (1 on a tipped pass from Skylar Thompson) 1 career forced fumble, and 5 career TFL’s. The Jets aren’t changing their defense any time soon, which is strictly zone. And he’s Woodys guy. He even got a cool chain to show him. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sauce was a marketable player, Woody cashed in on Revis Island, twice. He wears #1. Gets Bdub commercials. His name outweighs his production which is why I’d look to deal him to build the offense, but the Jets and Sauce have built quiete the name for him that it’s met with a lot of anger around these parts.l if you question the production .  Fact is he has two interceptions in 2 years (1 on a tipped pass from Skylar Thompson) 1 career forced fumble, and 5 career TFL’s. The Jets aren’t changing their defense any time soon, which is strictly zone. And he’s Woodys guy. He even got a cool chain to show him. 

Whatever this sentiment is of “trade him, he’s not actually good” for Sauce has gone way too far.

I’d argue a shutdown corner in this league is more valuable than an OT, who is 1 of 5 or 6 (including TE) players up-front responsible for opening lanes and pass pro.

What has Sauce given up this year, 1 long TD to Gabe Davis?

I’ll forgive him for that.  Opposing QBs rarely look in his direction.

The league won’t flag Sauce as much because they know he’s marketable.

Its a conscious thing by Goodell and company, and the Jets would be foolish not to continue making use of that.

You don’t need a HOF LT or RT to win in today’s NFL.  You need a good OL to win and baseline competence at a minimum to compete.

The OL is about talent but it’s also about mainly staying healthy, cohesion, reps together, good coaching and fundamentals.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Your hypothetical scenario didn't happen so its moot point 

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Interesting how now he says he had the years mixed up, seems like he is covering the cover up. Woody forced Wilson on this staff. There is just too many coincidences and facts for me to believe otherwise. 

He didn’t say he had the years mixed up - he never specified a year in the first place. Try again. 

y’all are funny with this Woody/Wilson stuff. 

10 hours ago, BP said:

Well thought out response to your criticism 

My criticism of @Warfish is that he's a clown. Simple as that. For whatever reason, he likes to accuse people for making things up because I guess he is jealous? Maybe he feels he's a mainstay poster and craves the clout? I don't know. But yes, I think he's a clown. Next

Just now, slimjasi said:

He didn’t say he had the years mixed up - he never specified a year in the first place. Try again. 

y’all are funny with this Woody/Wilson stuff. 

Didn’t he say he was referring to a different year in a tweet, after it was out for a day or so? 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I never "touted" anything. I don't consider myself anything other than a fan. I happen to know people in the industry, and I guarantee if other posters were in my shoes they would do the exact same thing, just like Moggelz did. Why? Because the one commonality of everyone on here is that we're all crazy Jets fans that clearly can't stop talking about the Jets, hyper analyzing every decision they face and giving our opinions on them. I started posting on here during COVID, and when I found out that Saleh was their top candidate I shared it on here. Some fans freaked accusing me of making it up so I shot back at people, the mods got involved, and I shared my sources with them. The rest was history. You guys made me into an "insider", not me. 

@football guy Don't sweat the "Shade". We're all big boys here and all we can do is share what we "think" "know" and "hear". Some have better connections than others. You throw out what you believe to be true or believe what others' tell us. Sometimes it's good info... other times it's not.

I appreciate your input as well as @Mogglez and others who try and give us some insight.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

You guys made me into an "insider", not me. 

Naaa mate, your constant posts written in direct 1st person claiming deep knowledge of JD and the staff's decision making processes, thinking and inner thoughts on X or Y, as if you were in the room, privy and part of the decision making process, is what makes you a wanna-be "insider". 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

My criticism of @Warfish is that he's a clown. Simple as that. For whatever reason, he likes to accuse people for making things up because I guess he is jealous? Maybe he feels he's a mainstay poster and craves the clout? I don't know. But yes, I think he's a clown. Next

Better a clown than a liar.

By the way, might want to revisit your consistent takes on Zach Wilson since your arrival, and we'll see which of us was the real clown.

6 hours ago, pajet said:

The problem is Woody should have no say.   Just stay out of the fn way.   I don't care if Sauce ended up a good player.   Let your people do their job.   And if they end up being wrong and you right more often than not you replace them.   This bs where the gm always has a fall back because woody voiced his opinion is ridiculous.  

And in todays NFL, drafting philosophy should always defer to offense over defense unless its a generational pass rusher every Fng time.   Not like Macdonald or whatever his name is.  He is obviously  a project.   Offence over defense....

This really shouldnt be this difficult.

I agree with you. Unfortunately most organizations don't work this way. Of the 31 teams with owners, more than half involve themselves in football decisions. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Didn’t he say he was referring to a different year in a tweet, after it was out for a day or so? 

No, no, no. 

he made a general statement that JD wanted to take a tackle in the first round and Woody preferred someone else “a few years ago” without specifying a year. 

some folks assumed he was talking about the Zach Wilson pick (which never made much sense, because if they didn’t take a QB at 2 overall, they likely would have traded down) 

after seeing this mistaken assumption, he clarified that he was talking about taking Ickey instead of Sauce - which a number of us first guessed days ago. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Naaa mate, your constant posts written in direct 1st person claiming deep knowledge of JD and the staff's decision making processes, thinking and inner thoughts on X or Y, as if you were in the room, privy and part of the decision making process, is what makes you a wanna-be "insider". 

So essentially what this comes down to is that your envious someone knows more than you do, and your upset that you don't get enough attention for what you share? I'm confused. My best suggestion for you: go climb in a hole and ignore it. Weep if you have to. I have nothing more to say to you lol 

21 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Whatever this sentiment is of “trade him, he’s not actually good” for Sauce has gone way too far.

I’d argue a shutdown corner in this league is more valuable than an OT, who is 1 of 5 or 6 (including TE) players up-front responsible for opening lanes and pass pro.

What has Sauce given up this year, 1 long TD to Gabe Davis?

I’ll forgive him for that.  Opposing QBs rarely look in his direction.

The league won’t flag Sauce as much because they know he’s marketable.

Its a conscious thing by Goodell and company, and the Jets would be foolish not to continue making use of that.

You don’t need a HOF LT or RT to win in today’s NFL.  You need a good OL to win and baseline competence at a minimum to compete.

The OL is about talent but it’s also about mainly staying healthy, cohesion, reps together, good coaching and fundamentals.

He’s a good player. He’s just not moving the needle imo and his brand carries more impact than his production . Something a savvy franchise could cash in on. No different than the Jets once did with Adams.

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Albert Breer: Woody Johnson stepped in on the first round ...Albert Breer: Woody Johnson stepped in on the first round ...

Yes, Glenn is wrong - Breer never specified a year. Listen to the interview - it was on Colin Cowherd. 

The exact quote was “a few years ago”

People assumed he was talking about 2021 because that’s what they wanted to be true. It’s a juicier story. Too bad it wasn’t the case 

• Upvote 2