Quick Fix Offense

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we end up moving AVT to RT permanently I think that opens up our free agency and draft options a lot more.

We can spend big on a top WR and OT in free agency and then take BPA available (WR or OT) with the 10th pick. 

I think it's pretty likely we end up moving AVT to RT. It's a lot easier to upgrade the interior OL, especially this offseason. Still don't know where our starting LT comes from though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

First off Carter Warren is a viable solution at RT. I want nothing to do with Becton next year.

This is a solid year in the draft to take an OT. You have Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham and Mims, all can be cornerstone LT for years to come.

Brown and Zeitler are solutions for their respective positions via free agency. You can look at Cushenberry at C and move Tippman to one of the guard positions.

Yeah Rodgers is not going to sign off on a rookie and Carter Warren as his tackles. He’s bringing in Bakhtiari and he loves Becton.

Unless Becton will play for nothing I don’t want him on this team anymore. Never mind starting.

I do think Bak is who we get for LT and we draft Fuaga for RT. Still need a G. And depth. McGovern I wouldn’t mind returning since he can play C or G not to start though

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bakhtiari—Laken—Tippman—John Runyan—Carter Warren

Any list without Becton at this point is at least to be considered a list that could be good, maybe. Becton has become almost as annoying to me as Zach. Almost. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Claymation said:

First off Carter Warren is a viable solution at RT. I want nothing to do with Becton next year.

This is a solid year in the draft to take an OT. You have Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham and Mims, all can be cornerstone LT for years to come.

Brown and Zeitler are solutions for their respective positions via free agency. You can look at Cushenberry at C and move Tippman to one of the guard positions.

Alt and Fashanu are the only LT's on that list. The others are all RTs. We took ourselves out of starting LT contention in the draft by winning 2 meaningless games.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's pretty likely we end up moving AVT to RT. It's a lot easier to upgrade the interior OL, especially this offseason. Still don't know where our starting LT comes from though.

I like AVT, but I have concerns about him being who he was let alone staying healthy.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Alt and Fashanu are the only LT's on that list. The others are all RTs. We took ourselves out of starting LT contention in the draft by winning 2 meaningless games.

They might have played RT, but they have the physical traits to play LT especially Mims & Fuaga.

• Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Cause these rookie OTs usually struggle right out the gate and there’s no way Rodgers is going to trust a rookie on an all in year. Look at Evan Neal or the guy Icky down in Carolina. Rodgers is not dealing with that. He’s definitely bringing in Bakhtiari.

So you think Woody, Douglas, and Saleh saw what happened this year and are thinking "we should let Aaron pick more players?"

I really hope not.

The OL is the worst performing unit on this team.  

I don’t know how you don’t take an OT that would immediately improve the OL even if he is not the BPA and there is a good WR on the Board.

You can’t put AVT back at T either.  

I would go OL with:

Bakhtiari-AVT-CMG/Tippman-Tippman/FA-Warren/Draft Pick (Fuaga).  

Overpay LT- Tyron Smith. Just throw a bunch of money at him, outprice the Cowboys who already have a staked o-line on the interior and had Chuma/Steele fill in admirably. Promise him the world. 

Cut Tomlinson and sign Zietler or one of the other top G's in FA. There are actually a lot more options at G in FA than T. Get an upgrade at G. While eating Tomlinson's dead $$$ is hard to swallow, the up[grade is worth it. 

Trade for D.Adams, restructure his deal. A 2nd rounder next year+4th this year. 2nd rounder turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs. Honestly, with all the talk of signing Higgins or another big name FA like M.Evans or Pittman. THIS is the most likely scenario for a high impact star WR to come to the NYJ . An Adams trade. Otherwise, an average FA WR is the best we can hope for IMO. 

Draft JC Latham or Fuaga and plug them right in at RT. Both of these guys are plug and play prospects at the RT position. Maybe not ideal but they should be able to hold their own and may even dominate if we hit.

TAG and TRADE Huff - Recoup our 2nd rounder. Draft Xavier Worthy - slide him directly into the slot. He is a menace in the slot. He's got speed to be a deep threat and he is a smooth route runner. He can also move outside if nec. 

O-Line: T.Smith-Zeitler-Tippy-AVT-Latham/Fuaga

WRs: D.Adams, GW, Worthy, Lazard, Gipson, Charles (specials)

*Note: I don't think we can get ANY backup QB who played really well this season and will want to have a shot to start. Minshew is probably not an option. I think our best bet is a guy like Tyrod Taylor, especially if the Giants draft a QB like Daniels and let him walk. 

This proposal has TWO big name FAs - both on the o-line and the Adams trade. I think if we don't get Zeitler but we still get a lesser FA Guard, it will still be an upgrade over Tomlinson. So really, ONE big name FA. I think this is realistic. 

Starters

They need to add 3 new ones. It is what it is, but it's doable. If they do this they should be able to keep AVT at guard, and also not gamble a whole season on Warren or Mitchell (or a returning Becton) reliably starting 15+ games at tackle:

• One starter-worthy FA tackle (there will be at least couple available Ts hitting FA, even none get peoples' juices going and/or have obvious injury risks). Fearing a lost season with Bakhtiari, assuming Dallas re-signs Tyron Smith they should be looking at Trent Brown who can credibly start at both sides. Any other veterans who are really suited for RT only, they'd pretty much have to trade a future pick to move up in the draft for a day-1 LT starter; they don't have much to trade in terms of players. 
  • One starting tackle from the draft (even if we only get the 3rd-best guy he really ought to be good enough for RT at worst if he's a legit 1st round prospect). No projects with lofty ideas of hopeful high ceilings, though; they need an instant starter. (They're going to have to find another WR among veterans unless a round 3-4 rookie lights it up; they pretty much have to draft a tackle in rd 1).
  • One more starting guard. Figure he'd be from FA so they don't have to force-feed a draft pick from rounds 3-4 with a rookie who absolutely must start the whole season, whether ready or not. There are some starting names out there, even if most are meh or past their primes (as FAs usually are). 

Depth

• Another reserve capable of LT (I don't like the idea of again changing 2-3 OL positions if the starting LT is out again). Carter can be the RT2 and if down to emergency LT3 (Warren?) or RT3 (Mitchell?) that'd be an issue for any team. 
  • I'd like another backup guard, but that can come from FA or the draft, I don't really care other than teams are always reluctant to toss rookies in there so Mitchell would probably be the 1st guard in if it's a rookie.
  • I could stomach McGovern as a cheap backup C/G, but my reluctance is that he carries enough clout with the coaches that they might hand him a starting job again. But as much as they should ideally move on, if they're keeping the same OLC/scheme then one less new face is in theory better. Just consider most backups suck all around the league anyway, and he's still a multi-year starter who turns 31 around draft weekend. Dislocated kneecap should be well healed by March, never mind summer camp. 
  • Draft another OLman. I wouldn't lock in any/every pick to OL, but at worst they should take a day 3 pick on a 2nd OL pick. Inside, outside, I don't really care; on day 3 talent should trump need, as it gets hard enough to pick starters down there without eliminating any positions from consideration, but one should be close enough for this position group to be a tie breaker.
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Starters

They need to add 3 new ones. It is what it is, but it's doable. If they do this they should be able to keep AVT at guard, and also not gamble a whole season on Warren or Mitchell (or a returning Becton) reliably starting 15+ games at tackle:

• One starter-worthy FA tackle (there will be at least couple available Ts hitting FA, even none get peoples' juices going and/or have obvious injury risks). Fearing a lost season with Bakhtiari, assuming Dallas re-signs Tyron Smith they should be looking at Trent Brown who can credibly start at both sides. Any other veterans who are really suited for RT only, they'd pretty much have to trade a future pick to move up in the draft for a day-1 LT starter; they don't have much to trade in terms of players. 
  • One starting tackle from the draft (even if we only get the 3rd-best guy he really ought to be good enough for RT at worst if he's a legit 1st round prospect). No projects with lofty ideas of hopeful high ceilings, though; they need an instant starter. (They're going to have to find another WR among veterans unless a round 3-4 rookie lights it up; they pretty much have to draft a tackle in rd 1).
  • One more starting guard. Figure he'd be from FA so they don't have to force-feed a draft pick from rounds 3-4 with a rookie who absolutely must start the whole season, whether ready or not. There are some starting names out there, even if most are meh or past their primes (as FAs usually are). 

Depth

• Another reserve capable of LT (I don't like the idea of again changing 2-3 OL positions if the starting LT is out again). Carter can be the RT2 and if down to emergency LT3 (Warren?) or RT3 (Mitchell?) that'd be an issue for any team. 
  • I'd like another backup guard, but that can come from FA or the draft, I don't really care other than teams are always reluctant to toss rookies in there so Mitchell would probably be the 1st guard in if it's a rookie.
  • I could stomach McGovern as a cheap backup C/G, but my reluctance is that he carries enough clout with the coaches that they might hand him a starting job again. But as much as they should ideally move on, if they're keeping the same OLC/scheme then one less new face is in theory better. Just consider most backups suck all around the league anyway, and he's still a multi-year starter who turns 31 around draft weekend. Dislocated kneecap should be well healed by March, never mind summer camp. 
  • Draft another OLman. I wouldn't lock in any/every pick to OL, but at worst they should take a day 3 pick on a 2nd OL pick. Inside, outside, I don't really care; on day 3 talent should trump need, as it gets hard enough to pick starters down there without eliminating any positions from consideration, but one should be close enough for this position group to be a tie breaker.

Too much sense here.  Saleh seems inclined to use vets first on the oline.  Hopefully whatever oline they field in game one will be the same one on game seventeen.  That’ll be the way for breece hall to get over 1000 yards and Wilson well over 1000 yards.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

Too much sense here.  Saleh seems inclined to use vets first on the oline.  Hopefully whatever oline they field in game one will be the same one on game seventeen.  That’ll be the way for breece hall to get over 1000 yards and Wilson well over 1000 yards.

In fairness, you won't find a whole lot of coaches or OCs who actually like the idea of starting two rookies on the OL. One is plenty, until desperation sets in and they've got no one else.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you are close to what will happen. AVT may get bumped to RT and then I see Runyan at LG

He IS undersized at OT, and not just height and weight, but very short arms on top of it. 8th percentile among all OL, and much less than that when you are only considering OT. Because of that he has to use his athleticism and move more. When you move more as a 300+ lb guy, you tend to get hurt more. So, sure we can say last two serious injuries were a fluke, which may or may not be true, but I do think the likelihood of these injuries is higher due to being at Tackle and having to move a lot more to compensate for short reach.

So, if it were up to me, I would not mess around with AVT. Put him at G, right or left does not matter, and keep him there.

BTW- can we fire that incomptent OLC carter!  JHC he is the worst I have seen in years... 

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our 2025 1st and 3rd rounders.

The only way I can see the Raiders trading Devante Adams is if they move up for a Qb . If they make Justin fields trade .( not going to cost as much) there is no way .devante Adams , J Meyers , Tre Tucker.  They cut Hunter Renfrow .     

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The only way I can see the Raiders trading Devante Adams is if they move up for a Qb . If they make Justin fields trade .( not going to cost as much) there is no way .devante Adams , J Meyers , Tre Tucker.  They cut Hunter Renfrow .     

Congrats to your boys yesterday.  They really play hard for Antonio Pierce.  He deserves that job.

Do you think Rodgers will want the 3rd or 4th rookie OT off the board protecting his blind side or his best friend and guy who’s been his LT his whole life ?

That’s one of the reasons I wrote FA or 1st rounder, the slash / may not have been clear. Should have said either/or. Who gets drafted will depend on who can be brought in in FA. I believe some of the o-line injuries were due to an onslaught of blitzing and stunts because nobody was afraid of our passing game. That in itself changes with AR, first because he can recognize it sooner and deal with it more efficiently. McGovern and Schweitzer both got hurt against the Giants. I don’t know if Keith Carter is the answer as coach, I hope they know better than I do 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is no obvious solution at LT. I think we basically need two FA LTs and assume they will split the time there because the odds of them staying healthy are basically zero.

The FA contract can pay them per game played.  

Does Bakhtiari want $500K per game?  Bring him on.   Can we get 8 good games out of him?

Maybe we platoon Bakhtiari and Tyron Smith.  Better yet, if Becton will come back at $1mm more than his highest offer, let him play LT for a prove it year.   Maybe we can get Trent Brown to play LT.  That could work.  But I think we need TWO FA options for LT.  

I know what is NOT going to work:

• Drafting a starting LT.
  • Jonah Williams.
  • AVT at LT or RT.
  • Duane Brown at LT.
  • A single person solution for LT.  

20 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

The blueprint for this offseason to fix this mess seems like it’s pretty obvious. Sliding down to pick 10 means they lose out on a top OT so they will need to get creative considering we need 2. I think we rely on two of Rodgers old buddies again to help us. Here’s my prediction for the offense:

QB: Rodgers Minshew

RB: Breece 

WR: GW Davante Lazard 

TE: Bowers

OL: Bakhtiari AVT Tippman Cheap FA Becton

that oline might possibly suck worse than what we had this year. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Overpay LT- Tyron Smith. Just throw a bunch of money at him, outprice the Cowboys who already have a staked o-line on the interior and had Chuma/Steele fill in admirably. Promise him the world. 

Cut Tomlinson and sign Zietler or one of the other top G's in FA. There are actually a lot more options at G in FA than T. Get an upgrade at G. While eating Tomlinson's dead $$$ is hard to swallow, the up[grade is worth it. 

Trade for D.Adams, restructure his deal. A 2nd rounder next year+4th this year. 2nd rounder turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs. Honestly, with all the talk of signing Higgins or another big name FA like M.Evans or Pittman. THIS is the most likely scenario for a high impact star WR to come to the NYJ . An Adams trade. Otherwise, an average FA WR is the best we can hope for IMO. 

Draft JC Latham or Fuaga and plug them right in at RT. Both of these guys are plug and play prospects at the RT position. Maybe not ideal but they should be able to hold their own and may even dominate if we hit.

TAG and TRADE Huff - Recoup our 2nd rounder. Draft Xavier Worthy - slide him directly into the slot. He is a menace in the slot. He's got speed to be a deep threat and he is a smooth route runner. He can also move outside if nec. 

O-Line: T.Smith-Zeitler-Tippy-AVT-Latham/Fuaga

WRs: D.Adams, GW, Worthy, Lazard, Gipson, Charles (specials)

*Note: I don't think we can get ANY backup QB who played really well this season and will want to have a shot to start. Minshew is probably not an option. I think our best bet is a guy like Tyrod Taylor, especially if the Giants draft a QB like Daniels and let him walk. 

This proposal has TWO big name FAs - both on the o-line and the Adams trade. I think if we don't get Zeitler but we still get a lesser FA Guard, it will still be an upgrade over Tomlinson. So really, ONE big name FA. I think this is realistic. 

Lol that would be the Raiders reaction if the Jets offered that.   Followed by click.

15 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Lol that would be the Raiders reaction if the Jets offered that.   Followed by click.

Ok. I mean you probably know better (no sarcasm in all seriousness I don't follow the Raiders). 

But if a player wanted out. If his salary was massive. And he was approaching that 30-31 age, still locked into multiple years. No matter how good he is. You must consider trading him before he starts to decline and you are still on the hook for his salary. Again, especially if he wants out. Now, I don't know if Adams DOES want out. But if he wants to come play with Rodgers and Rodgers convinces him that the Jets will be good with him on board. It's possible. Getting a 2nd rounder that is likely to turn into a 1st plus a 4th rounder this year is not peanuts. Just saying. you are not getting multiple 1st round picks for Adams. Yu are probably not getting much more than a 1st rounder for him, as good as he still is. 

I get that the Tyreek Hill trade was way bigger. But even hill wasn't traded for multiple first round picks or anything like that. And he was younger and a more explosive player. So I'm just wondering what you think the Raiders would want in a trade if they were moving on from Adams? A first and second? More?